[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I've got one of these bad boys right here and a recipe
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 1200x1200
So I've got one of these bad boys right here and a recipe that requires me to cook it until it's reduced to a savory sauce-like substance.
My question is: does cooking it so long make it worse for you? As in does it create sugars that are difficult for your body to break down?
>>
File: image.gif (65 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
65 KB, 320x180
Shameless self bump
>>
File: image.gif (861 KB, 348x298) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
861 KB, 348x298
Final bump. Help me out, /ck/!
>>
>>7574055

fuck knows, red cabbage is pretty ass, best thing you can do imo is use it for kimchi or pickle it
>>
>>7573989
>>does cooking it so long make it worse for you?
No, the cooking process doesn't get hot enough to damage any of the nutrients. And there's not much nutritional value in a cabbage anyway.

>>As in does it create sugars that are difficult for your body to break down?
No, why would you think it would? That's bizzare.
>>
>>7574065
Maybe he's one of those raw diet cultists
>>
>>7574065
>>7574069
Nah, I got it in my head somehow that cooking sugars long enough causes them to bond and create sugars that are harder to break down.
Probably from my experience with brewing. Having the malt steep at too high a temp. creates sugars that yeast can't consume, resulting in sweet, sticky beer.
>>
>>7574075
The digestive capabilities of yeast have nothing to do with the digestive capabilities of the human body.
>>
>>7574075
Yeah that's not really a thing you have to be concerned about in regular cooking unless you're lactose intolerant.
>>
>>7574081
>>7574083
Got it, thanks. In retrospect it may have been a dumb question.
>>
>>7573989
I prefer using whole leaves to hold the vegetables on in my bamboo steamer then I eat them along with the other vegetables. Once it is tender it is godly that way and has amazing flavor.
>>
>>7573989
Cooking destroys the myrosinase enzyme which turns glucoraphanin into the antioxidant sulforaphane when the plant is damaged. The precursor and product are heat stable, but the enzyme is not. You can finely chop or puree and then wait about 40 minutes before cooking, or you can serve it with a substantial amount of ground mustard seed to replace the enzyme.
>>
>>7574266
Wikipedia:

>When these foods are consumed, the enzyme myrosinase transforms glucoraphanin into raphanin, which is an antibiotic, and into sulforaphane, which exhibits anti-cancer and antimicrobial properties in experimental models.

That's freakin' awesome.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.