[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bread we bake Ate the last batch Knead them we will Easy it will
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7
File: Loff_loff_bread.jpg (54 KB, 920x535) Image search: [Google]
Loff_loff_bread.jpg
54 KB, 920x535
Bread we bake
Ate the last batch
Knead them we will
Easy it will be
Right and easy

Kneading is a bitch, and is the worst part about learning how to bake.
Bread loving to stick to everything during kneading do not help either.
Using a too hot oven, because the recipe maker was retarded also help.
So please share your bread.
Or be a Deutzchlander and post dark bread
>>
How hot should I bake my bread?
>>
>>7568710
>>7567916
http://www.cosmopolitan.com/sex-love/news/a49894/yeast-infection-sourdough-bread/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3332169/Feminist-blogger-uses-vaginal-yeast-make-sourdough-bread.html
>>
>>7568718
Why are girls so yucky?
>>
>>7568710
So long they end up dry its really whatever.
so like... 150-250C?
>>
>>7568721
They are raised to think they should be a background object, but that is a dated way of raising them, so they react very weird when they they try to establish themselves
Also "ZOMG YEAST!"
>>
Kneading is a bitch? I find it calming, like squeezing someone's tits vigorously.

Also, does ambient humidity affect flour? I used a bread recipe for over a year and it was consistent everytime. I moved to a new home and the dough is always dry, using the same recipe and measuring tools. I've been getting shitty results because I have to add water as i go and they are never consistent.
>>
>>7568721
are you joking? do you know how many other dudes post about cooking with their semen?
>>
>>7571707
>how many other dudes post about cooking with their semen?

no fucking body?
>>
>>7567916

500g flour, pinch of salt, 7g dried yeast, tablespoon of sugar and 300ml of wet stuff (oil, olive oil, milk, hot water)

combine, knead for 15 minutes (stretch the bread dough), dont be a pussy you'll get sticky, deal with it

let rise under a towel in an oiledbowl for 1.1.5 hours

press the air bubles out gently, divide up and shape the dough, let rise under a towel for 30 minutes

once risen you can paint with egg, milk oil to make it golden and add seeds if you like

12-15 minutes in a 200°c oven
>>
>>7571683
There is also other factors such as:
1. Elevation over ocean
2. Minerals the water contains
3. Hardness of water
4. If moving in regions, you might change the mill you get the flour from. Quality will differ.
>>
>>7571785
I moved just a mile away, no way those factors are in play unless it's something to do with the filters
>>
>>7571808
Doesn't chlorine/fluoride do the same stuff as salt to baking? Assuming you are American?

So your old apartment had better filtering?
>>
>>7571744
newfag detected
>>
>>7571817
Canada, from a rented home to a townhouse. Do I just add water or use bottled water for consistent results?
>>
>>7571879
Could also be that the tap water is hotter or colder.
>>
Kneading does suck. That's why I let a bread machine do the kneading.
>>
>>7571754
Such a warm oven.
>>
Are there any good books about the art of bread making? I fucking love bread, and would like to start baking my own.
>>
>>7573715
The bread baker's apprentice is a great place to start. It has lots of different kinds of bread and techniques. It also gives you a pretty solid overview of most bread baking theory and why you do the things you do. Having a general understanding of what is going on helps you improve and troubleshoot.

People also recommend flour water salt yeast, but I don't really like that most (maybe all?) of his breads are designed to be made in a dutch oven. It's a good method, but I think you should learn a variety of ways to shape and bake bread. His formulas are very solid though.
>>
File: 1456335356897.gif (526 KB, 440x475) Image search: [Google]
1456335356897.gif
526 KB, 440x475
>>7573726
Thanks a lot, Anon! I'll definitely check those books out.
>>
>>7573726

you can make Water flour salt yeasts breads without a dutch oven as well, the same principles apply.
>>
>>7573726
Whats the difference between a small dutch pot and just using a oven? Besides the fact it do shape the bread?
>>
>>7574932
Dutch oven gives more even heat and helps hold in moisture as the bread bakes, making it much easier to get the super nice crust that we all strive for.
>>
>>7575045
But a convection oven with good fans already has some rather even heating?
>>
>>7575507
The main reason behind using a dutch oven like in the no knead bread recipe or FWSY recipes is to trap moisture. You bake it with the lid on initially to try and emulate a bakers oven with steam injection. After baking for a little bit you remove the lid and allow the loaf to brown and crisp up. It's actually a pretty great technique for the home baker. The only downside is you are pretty much limited to making a boule.
>>
>>7575542
i bake my bread in a bread pan and cover it with tinfoil, which I reuse. works great.
>>
File: Cheeze_bread.png (1021 KB, 650x870) Image search: [Google]
Cheeze_bread.png
1021 KB, 650x870
Baking baguette, yes/no? Is it hard?
>>
>>7576882
Pretty hard. You pretty much need a baguette pan if you want the right shape, and it's hard to get that super airy crumb.
>>
File: Walnut Flax Sourdough.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
Walnut Flax Sourdough.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>7576882
Baguettes, in my opinion, are the hardest of the artisan breads to master. The ideal dough is high hydration, which makes shaping and slashing difficult. Backing off on the hydration to 65-70% improves aesthetic outcomes, but you lose the big open crust.
>>
>>7568718
How come a complete shithead is good at baking bread?
>>
>>7576882
>Is it hard?

Depends on what your standards for a baguette are.

It's not that much more difficult to use the same recipe you use for a boule and just shaping it differently. It will be by my experience good.

It won't come out as good as a bakery's version though.
>>
I bake some pretty mean buns, but I'd like to make proper bread with a nice crust.
What's the secret?
>>
>>7578130
If you are looking the make crusty bread the main things are a lean dough and steam during the initial part of baking. It's also important to sufficiently bake it, so like 210 fahrenheit with a probe thermometer. It sounds bad, but you have to dry out the loaf a bit if you want the crust to last more than 20 minutes.
>>
>>7578165
>steam during the initial part of baking
How do I accomplish this?
A pan of boiling water below my bread?
>>
Anybody got some good grainy bread recipes? I've been trying a lot in my attempts to replicate German bread in Canada. So far all of mine are missing something that's difficult to pinpoint, like it tastes too strongly of the sourdough and grains and not really complex enough. I'm thinking I might need to do a slow-proof in the fridge overnight before making or add something.
>>
File: thing.jpg (8 KB, 355x355) Image search: [Google]
thing.jpg
8 KB, 355x355
>>7578174
I spray my oven with a pump intended for gardening, similar to this pic, and I toss about a 1/4 cup of water on the floor of the oven. It's probably not good for the oven in the long run, but I get a lot more steam than the methods using a pan.

You can also do the thing where you bake a loaf in a dutch oven with a lid and it steams itself
>>
>>7578201
>I spray my oven with a pump intended for gardening, similar to this pic, and I toss about a 1/4 cup of water on the floor of the oven. It's probably not good for the oven in the long run, but I get a lot more steam than the methods using a pan.
I'll try getting one of those sprays.
I'm not too keen on dumping a cup of water into the bottom of the oven though.

Maybe dropping water on a pizza stone works?
Anyhow, thanks a lot. I'll try and do some research on this.
>>
>>7578209
you will probably crack your pizza stone if you pour water on it, if you are opposed to slowly destroying your oven then an old cast iron pan on the bottom works fine, just don't use a pan you care about because it will get ruined after a few uses

I hear the sheet metal of the oven warp a little bit when I splash water on it, but it's a small enough amount to completely evaporate into steam in about 30 seconds
>>
>>7578209
You could just use a small glass, or a tea cup. Or a deep plate. And place it bottom, on one of those line plates.
>>
>>7578315
You are trying to create steam so you want as much surface area as possible, I don't recommend trying to use a cup. It's also important that it gets hot before adding water, so thermal shock will shatter a glass.

There are probably lots of ok ways to do it. Any method that creates a lot of steam quickly is great.
>>
>>7578354
>It's also important that it gets hot before adding water, so thermal shock will shatter a glass
"Normal" cup glass isn't super brittle. it handles boiling water fine. Thermal shock is frozen glass being dropped into boiling water.
>>
>>7578505
For the purposes of this discussion we are talking about pouring water into a glass that has been heated to 500ish Fahrenheit. I don't know if that will break it or not, but I've broken a hot ceramic dish by setting it in the sink.
>>
>>7578523
No, thats stupid.
What we are talking about, is pouring sink hot water( 100-150F? or 40-60ish C) into a cup, plating it on bottom, maybe on a plate, and then starting to preheat the oven.
If the bread is suppose to rise under heat, the glass can stay in there before that, to increase humidity.
>>
>>7578549
I agree that it's stupid, that's why I was being nice about saying using a glass is stupid.

You want to create a large cloud of steam, not just raise the humidity of the oven slightly. It's why literally nobody in the history of the world has recommended using a glass to create steam for bread baking before you did. Because it's fucking stupid.
>>
>>7578581
Its perfectly sane to do so, the issue is that:
1. Modern ovens has barely been around for 150 years, and the people who need hot water ovens will pay for specially constructed ones

2. Spraying raises humidity, but not properly.
Placing a glass in the oven do.

3. Tempered glass for cooking/baking didn't arrive on the mass marked until almost the 2nd world war.
In modern times, almost all glass is heat tempered to increase production yield
>>
>>7578194
I guess you don't add enough salt?
Or you use different grinded wheat.
>>
>>7577055
Not the anon you replied to but was thinking of making some baguettes with some French flour I can get from a deli in town and following Julia Child's procedure. Any thoughts on it?
>>
I baked bread again, and this time set a timer and did 10 minutes of kneading.
I think I should have done 15.
And maybe get a larger bowl to knead in, so I can turn the dough easier.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-17-17-11-45.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-17-17-11-45.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
>all these dumbasses spraying water and putting water in the oven
Nigger just get a dutch oven. GOATest of all time, desu fampai. Pic related. Left is normal oven (spraying every 5 min AND tray of water beneath), right is dutch oven.
>>
>>7571754

you really use that much yeast? is that why my bread comes out a little thick?
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.