[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Perfect Roast Chicken
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6
File: 390_1_1436872147[1].jpg (96 KB, 430x575) Image search: [Google]
390_1_1436872147[1].jpg
96 KB, 430x575
Recently tried Jamies perfect roast chicken recipe (lemon, thyme, garlic), turned out great. I want to try some other some other recipes/methods of cooking a whole chicken in the oven. Share your favourites ITT.
>>
>>7566709
Recipe for picrelated.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chicken-recipes/perfect-roast-chicken/#WM1HYyA8kTlHdIsK.97
>>
>>7566710
Linda • a year ago
Roasting chicken is pretty expensive where I live. And so are fresh herbs. Nice recipe but...
>>
>>7566720
I just wonder where does she live, usualy a whole chicken is the cheapest meat if you take price per kilo. Fresh herbs can be price for some northen regions, but dried ones are always cheap.
>>
>>7566736
i too wondered

chickens here are cheap and fresh herbs should cost $0 or close to it

she lives in the arctic?
>>
i use coconut oil to rub the chicken, salt and peper and chilli

need to get my stuffing game down
>>
>>7566842

>grow my own herbs
>literally have so much i don't know what the fuck to do with them
>give them to everyone i know that wants them
>still have way to much
>more seeds than i could plant still have more for next year
>>
>>7566918
I recently started a kitchen garden on my window, hopefully I'll have fresh herbs in a month or so.
>>
>>7566709
He does a good one with milk curd I think it is.. One of his early books
>>
Marinade:
>500ml yoghurt
>1 tbsp tomato puree
>6 cloves garlic, blended
>2 inch piece ginger, blended
>1tsp each chili powder, garam masala, turmeric, ground coriander, cumin, cinnamon, salt, black pepper

Mix all this up then rub on the chicken, getting it under the skin on the breasts. Also pierce the legs a few times if that's your thing. Leave to marinade for a day or so.
Heat oven to 220 degrees c, slice 2 onions, a 1 inch chunk of peeled ginger, and halve a lemon and dump in the bottom of a roasting tin. Bung chicken in oven, roast uncovered for half an hour then turn the heat down to 180, cover with a tinfoil hat (the chicken, not yourself) and roast until done (1-1.5 hours). Remove chicken and put it somewhere to settle for 15 mins.

For the gravy chuck the ginger away, scoop out flesh from lemons and blend together with the onion slices and juices from the pan. Return everything to the pan along with 1 tin coconut milk and heat moderately on the hob, scraping up the shit that's stuck to the bottom of the pan. Throw in a bunch of roughly chopped coriander just before serving.

Wa la, Indian style roast chicken. Serve with (bombay) potatoes, roast cauliflower and generous portion of medium-firm human faecal matter.
>>
>>7566952
You meant this one?
http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chicken-recipes/chicken-in-milk/

>>7566955
Sounds good, but I might cut the amount of ginger and cumin in half, cause I'm not a big fan of both, but the whole yoghurt+garlic+chilli+garam masala seems nice.
>>
File: IMG_0757.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0757.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
Made this last night.
A simple brine with salt, brown sugar, peppercorns, bay leaves, thyme and lemon peels which the chicken soaked in for about 17 hours.
>>
File: IMG_0758.jpg (3 MB, 1936x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0758.jpg
3 MB, 1936x2592
>>7567031
Browned the skin a bit before putting it in the oven.
>>
File: IMG_0759.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0759.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
>>7567035
Used the drippings to make a creamy mushroom sauce. Don't ask where the skin went, I can't remember because I was pretty drunk. I remember everything tasting great.
>>
>>7567040
it looks good and all but 17+ hours just to eat a chicken thats mildly different to a 1 hr chicken... seems autistic
>>
File: IMG_0760.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0760.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
>>7567040
I can't remember much from the rest of the night but there's some frozen chicken stock and left over meat in the freezer so I'm feeling quite good about my effort.
>>
>>7567045
It mostly had to do with my schedule the following day and it was convenient to prep it the evening before.
>>
>>7567051
yeah its probably not a bad idea im more utilitarian with food and just eat whatever idgaf
>>
File: Disabled.jpg (269 KB, 590x590) Image search: [Google]
Disabled.jpg
269 KB, 590x590
>>7567045
It takes longer than 1 hr to brine a whole chicken.
>>
>>7567031
Whats with all the chicken brining? I just buy refrigarated chicken, that have hever been in a freezer and its always lender and joocy as fuck when roasted. If I want more falvour, I just rub whatever on top and leave it overnigh or stuck some herbs or lemons up his arse.
>>
>>7567076
For me it depends on what chicken I get a hold of. I'm a poorfag and I usually get whatever is cheapest , and that shit definitely gets better after a good brining.If I splurge however, and get a nice corn fed chicken I don't bother with it.
>>
>>7567089
I don't know what my chikens are fed (probably the ususal shit), but as long as they are fresh and refrigerated they are always nice and suculent.
>>
>>7566709

Does anyone else loathe Jamie Oliver?

Really /ck/, that chicken looks like shit.

The 'recipe' is a joke too. Salt+pepper, stuff anything into the chicken, put it in the oven. I know he's a TV chef teaching people who don't know how to cook, but he sets the bar so painfully low I can't even begin to understand why he gets ANY praise.
>>
>>7566709
Perfect chicken is spit roasted.
>>
>>7567123
Well this recipe is posted as super easy so what do you expect? And pretty much every roast chicken is "rub something on top, stick something inside and put it in the oven". Also I don't see you posting a better recipe, jellyfag.
>>
>>7567131
Its arguable and not all ovens have spit roasts.
>>
>>7567123
Jamie Oliver has done more to teach normal people cooking skills and useful recipes than any celebrity chef since Delia Smith.
>>
>>7567135
>>7567215
Agreed 100%.

Sure there are better options, but like anon said, it's specifically a beginner's recipe so the point is simplicity. Not to mention the cookbook it's found in makes a point of using only basic, inexpensive, ingredients. I also like the fact that his recipe encourages people to make their own gravy from the veg in the bottom of the tray--that's another basic skill that noob cooks would do well to learn.
>>
I haven't roasted many chickens, but the lesson for me was: don't add any liquid. I used a recipe that smeared the chicken with herb butter and filled the cavity with lemons. The flavor was fine but it was fucking swimming in liquid by the time it was over. Pretty sure I would never use butter or anything but rind/zest again.
>>
>>7567408
Did you at least sit the chicken up on a wire rack or on a bed of vegetables while roasting it?
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.