[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
friggin' table manners
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 188
Thread images: 29
File: 1455610918971.jpg (4 MB, 3744x3744) Image search: [Google]
1455610918971.jpg
4 MB, 3744x3744
I live with my girlfriend and we always cook and eat together, and we eat like animals

yesterday, for the first time i came to my gf's parents house and their maid cooked like this teeny weeny lamb meat with bones on it (she's from a rather rich family i didn't even know that)

there were like 3 different knives and forks but i didn't care and just ate randomly BUT then her parents fucking roasted me and literally called me a plebeian because i had no table manners

seriously, is choosing different forks and knives even important in eating? what's the point of table manners? i've never felt so shitty in my life before
>>
>girlfriend didn't warn you about nazi parents

Dump her. Your best interest is not in her mind.
>>
I dont give a shit, Ive been told its bad manner to use the fork with my dominant hand instead of the knife but I still do it.

However, i think the multiple knives and forks things is pretty easy. You start with those laying furthest out from the plate and then work yourself inwards with each dish. If there's a spoon or something above the plate then thats the very last thing you'll use.

Correct me if Im wrong, im not fancy either.
>>
>>7565084

next time it happens pull your dick out, flip the table and call them niggers
>>
>>7565098
This, your gf is a cunt for not warning you in advance.
They both sound like uncouth shitbags so not surprised.
>>
File: thCAEWIDB0.jpg (11 KB, 188x300) Image search: [Google]
thCAEWIDB0.jpg
11 KB, 188x300
>mfw he doesn't know about forks

For fucks sake, how trashy can you possibly be?

You might as well just use your filthy hands, you goddamn animal.
>>
>>7565107
>>7565098

Perhaps she assumed he had the most basic of social skills and could use them when needed?

Perhaps the parents realized what an autist you were and she didnt? So they laid into you unexpectedly?
>>
File: splitting log fail.gif (1 MB, 499x320) Image search: [Google]
splitting log fail.gif
1 MB, 499x320
>BUT then her parents fucking roasted me and literally called me a plebeian because i had no table manners

>i've never felt so shitty in my life before

Why the fuck didn't you argue back, faggot?

If she wanted a pussy, she'd be a lesbian.

Enjoy your shame.
>>
File: 1451823597589.jpg (521 KB, 746x1055) Image search: [Google]
1451823597589.jpg
521 KB, 746x1055
I know this feel OP

I was raised by northern hicks and had a gf in highschool that had a german dad and there meal was very proper and I was probably embarrassing her
>>
>>7565104
Only correct answer ITT
>>
Must be new money.

Table manners are important, and not just to wealthy people, but for everyone. Manners and etiquette should be taught in school, IMO, so EVERYONE benefits from it.

That said, your girlfriend's parents showed their asses by reprimanding you for your table manners. Anyone with any class at all would have politely ignored any of your faux pas and let it go. (And perhaps later on mentioned to their daughter in private that she ought to be encouraging you to learn table manners). No, they acted like pigs, which is worse than what you did, because YOU didn't know any better.
>>
>>7565084
Rofl. You'll probably have to break up with her after this travesty. You are only allowed to eat however you want if you know proper manners.
>>
>>7565162

You're a wise fellow Anon, this is how I live my life too.
>>
>>7565128
If he were a real autist he would've excused himself to the bathroom in order to google how to use the silverware.
>>
>>7565084
Just break up with her. She's a cunt and so are her parents. Sorry but not sorry that my parents had to work for a fucking living and taught me about things like doing my taxes and car insurance instead of which side of the toilet paper goes against my asshole.

For the record, next time, you start at the outside and work your way in.
Yes there are like ten different kinds of forks, spoons, and knives but they'll only put out the ones you need. As dishes are taken away they take the silverware with them, so you move on to the next set with the next course.
If you pause in eating, keep your silverware apart at the edges. If you put your silverware together in the middle of the plate it means "I'm done, take this plate away".
>>
>>7565084
become a chopstick master and get an azn gf
>>
File: 1441762046297.jpg (50 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1441762046297.jpg
50 KB, 625x626
>>7565084
>>
>>7565084
How much is this girl worth to you? If you care about her, then you need to be ready to go on the offensive. They obviously don't care about their daughter, and only want to keep her daughter from marrying common so as to protect their own image. Make sure your girlfriend knows this. She needs to be turned against them. Also you need ammo for a riposte. Since they have a maid who cooks for them, etc., you might mention the fact that dependence on others is a sign of weakness and that parents who can't or won't care and provide nourishment for themselves and their families are essentially worthless. What else can you tell us about your situation? We need to find more things to use to destroy their illusion of self-worth.
>>
>>7565084
>seriously, is choosing different forks and knives even important in eating?
That's just a pre-internet meme for useless retards who wanted to feel special.
>>
you should apologize for being a philistine and suck up to old mumsy by becoming a upper class toffe nosed wanker so that when they conk out u can aquire their megabux :D
>>
>>7565084
You live with your gf and didn't know her family was rich?
>>
>>7565162
agreed
>>
>>7565485

>suck their dick for 30 years
>leaves her fortune to her pure bred dog and a caretaker for the dog
>>
I come from a middle class family, but my husband's family is rich. Didn't know wtf to do with all the forks when they took me out to eat, so I either copied everyone else or whispered to my husband to ask him and made it through just fine. Don't be autistic next time.
>>
>>7565084
I'm not adamant about table manners when it comes to others but I follow them because I enjoy it
It gives order and decorum to a meal, it feels nice, the forks and knives are sorted out by size and shape, everythinh has its place and it just feels nice
Sometimes I'll dress a full table for a simple meal just because I find it nice
My girlfriend, on the other hand, considers that most food is more enjoyable when you eat it with your fingers
I don't mind it, as long as she doesn't mess with my cutlery and I still dress the table for her too because I'm not an animal and it would make the table asymetrical which I don't like
I do enjoy fancy things and this fancy way of displaying food, but it's more because I find it esthetically pleasing and soothing than out of social conventions
I jokingly say that having different knives for steak and fish is what separates us from beasts
>>
Dinner is a social experience for a lot of people. Especially when you have way too much money. They probably wanted to get to know you, but everytime they looked up they just saw your nasty ass covered in chunks of meat.
I eat like that too and IDGAF but im still going to talk shit to be devils advocate
>>
>>7565084
The point of table manners is so that people with more time and money than anything else can cook up arbitrary rules that make it more difficult for people who don't have time to learn pointless shit and don't have the money to buy 3 times as many utensils as they actually need to fit in with them.

Don't bitch about the food on your plate. Keep your mouth shut when you chew. Don't take the last of anything unless it's offered to you. Stay sober enough to not get thrown out. These are the only real table manners.
>>
>>7565162
Only true patrician post on this site

You're prob a writer or something
>>
>>7565162
This.

OP should have basic manners- it's an important skill- but gf's parents were in the wrong too for calling him out so public ally on it and making him feel bad.
>>
>>7565162
Hospitality towards guests is one of the most ancient and immutable tenets of human civilization. Attempting to observe the customs of hosts is very important because it shows respect, but treating guests poorly is a social transgression.

>>7565084
OP, if you handled the criticism with as much good grace as you could muster you are the epitome of gentility. You can remind her parents that by apologizing for your table manners and admit you weren't aware of which silverware to use. A handwritten letter will absolutely destroy them.
>>
>>7566568
Be sure if you write a short letter that the primary message is gratitude for the meal.
>>
File: 1457520098361.jpg (222 KB, 1561x1549) Image search: [Google]
1457520098361.jpg
222 KB, 1561x1549
>>7565084
I can recognize a soup spoon and a salad fork, but that's about it...
>>
The only time I've had multiple sets of cutlery was at a slightly fancy restaurant. I just picked up the biggest for and used that for everything. I kept it held so the waiter couldn't take it away between courses. Nobody said anything. Nobody was really positioned to comment as I was dining alone, though.
>>
Isn't the general rule eat outside in?
>>
File: dankaf.jpg.jpg (11 KB, 339x351) Image search: [Google]
dankaf.jpg.jpg
11 KB, 339x351
>MFW i've traveled the world and prefer to eat with my hands
>MFW uncultured faggot Americans look at me like i'm a madman

You don't know eating until you've had two Ethiopian women hand feeding your ugly ass; i'll gladly continue to be a savage by western standards.
>>
>>7565084
Got the tables turned, my gf didn't have a lot of table manners. So she asked for help and now she's on her way of successfully completing a 5 course meal.

>>7566756
Some things are just so much easier to eat with your hands.
>>
>>7567042
>Some things are just so much easier to eat with your hands.

Oh god, the people I know that get flustered when I eat with my hands. By now, half the fun is doing it to piss them off.
>Last weekend, drinking at a friend's home
>Some people I know, some I'm acquanited with, and a couple strangers
>Fun night, but after midnight people start to moan with hunger because most of what one would call food are snacks like peanuts and pretzels
>Call local pizza joint, ask for 2 large pizzas, because I'm a fat fuck and fuck you, it's 2AM on a Saturday and nowhere else worth a fuck is open right now
>Pizzas arrive soon after
>Grab a napkin and get myself a steaming hot slice of delicious pizza
>Failed alt-girl makes a small sound of disgust/disapproval, asks for a plate and cutlery
>Awkward vibe as everyone else enjoys their pizza like a normal human being while Makeup-Caked Ms. Skeltal grinds a fork and knife on a plate balanced on her skinny knees
>>
>>7565084
You have discovered the very point of table manners - to maintain class distinctions. They're a way for people to easily spot someone outside of their class, and shun them for being in the wrong place.

You were raised with different class standards than your gf, and table manners allowed her parents to spot that immediately. They'd much rather see their daughter marry up than down, so you're on their shit list. Rightfully so.
>>
>>7567553
You're too nice... i'd have told her to eat pizza like a normal human being or not at all.
>>
>>7565084
just fuck the shit out of your gf and dump 3 different types of sex toys in front of her while she's splayed out in front of you- dildo, buttplug and ballgag
ask her which one she wants while you're fucking the shit out of her and send the recording of the event to her parents
>>
>>7566568
so i got a lot of reply from my post and decided to do what this anon said, hoping for reply tomorrow

and no, there's nothing wrong with my girlfriend, we met at the same class and we've been together for 2 years.
she's completely normal and fun at all times but never mentioned her (rich) parents, that's all

that being said, i decided to ask my married neighbors about what to do at dinners and i sure as hell gonna surprise those old farts
>>
>>7565162
This, they sound like parvenu cunts
>>
>>7565162
excellent post
>>
>>7567919
>insecure in their social status
More like they're concerned about their daughter marrying down, which is legit. OP made it a point to say his gf is from a rich family and the "maid" cooked dinner. If those were what stuck out to him he's unlikely to be able to support his gf in the manner in which she was raised. The girl might not give a fuck, but you know the parents do. Because it'll be their grandkids who end up poor (by their standards) with shit table manners. And they sure as fuck don't want that. You want to see your kid do better than you did, not worse.
>>
>>7568027
Pretty much this, imagine your sister brings home a down right poor as fuck, never held a job, never finished high school loser. You'd think she deserves better, even if he's an alright dude.

You don't want to see your loved ones get demoted.
>>
I have really poor fine motor skills so I can't hold a fork or knife the right way. I can still eat with them fine, the grip just looks weird. It embarrasses me though, so if I'm eating with someone I don't know then I pretend I can't hold utensils at all and eat with my hands.
>>
>>7567839
Bravo
>>
>>7565084
>seriously, is choosing different forks and knives even important in eating? what's the point of table manners? i've never felt so shitty in my life before

Fucking lol
Come on m8, its not like this shit is a big secret.
Plebs being made fun of for using the culturally wrong is in every rags to riches story evar.
If you're not sure just ask.
>>
>>7568055
I grew up the product of a mixed class marriage, and though my immediate family was wonderful we never were that tight with any aunts, uncles or cousins. Because dad came from money, and mom most definitely did not. So her side of the family saw us as snooty, while dad's side saw us as plebs. It was not something you notice as a kid, but by the time you it your teens it's pretty obvious.

Strange to grow up that class aware in a country (US) where supposedly social class doesn't really exist.
>>
>>7568061
Review Brah?
>>
>>7568055
How do those values compare to the arbitrary customs of which fork to use? Middle class people can be perfectly succesful and lead fulfilling lives, providing they are raised right and instilled with meaningful values. Not wanting your daughter to marry a lazy failure does not equate to not wanting her to marry outside of the same inbred lineage with the same arbitrary standards.
>>
>>7568107
>Middle class people can be perfectly succesful and lead fulfilling lives...

Of course they can. And anyone with half a brain knows that being able to select the proper fork for each course has no bearing whatsoever on whether or not someone is a good person or not.

But you need to understand how "high society" works. In "high society" success has little if anything to do with your actual skills and values. It has to do with how well you play the social game. You don't advance because of education or hard work--you advance because of whom you know, and who does/doesn't like know. And someone who is ignorant of the standards/etiquette/whatever is literally failing at that. I'm not saying that's reasonable or justified, just the way it is..
>>
>>7568153
>does/doesn't like know.

That should be does/doesn't like YOU
>>
>>7568107
Middle class people live with anxiety. Credit card bills, medical bills, college loans, all the things they'd like but can't afford, fear of falling out of the middle class, saving for retirement, car payments... The list goes on. These are not things you worry about so much when you grow up safely knowing you will inherit a decent sum of money one day, and probably have a trust fund to cover you until then. If both people in a marriage are set up like that there's a good chance their kids will be as well. If only one is the kids will probably grow up having to live with middle class anxieties.

And if you never had to worry about such things you wouldn't want your grandkids to have to.
>>
>>7567042
>>7567553
>tfw sometimes buy half a cooked chicken and a baguette and gorge it down with my hands
It's literally amazing
>>
>>7568153
In other words, they're worse than poor people.
>>
>>7565100
You pretty much got it if they only put the utensils needed for the dishes served.
If they put all of them there's gonna be some to not use.
Honestly, it's important to know the fish knife, other than that pray you don't mistake the salad set for the dessert set. The rest should be obvious.
>>
>>7565084
Maybe she brought you along without telling you about her parents because she wanted to see the looks on their faces when they realized what kind of guy she was into?
>>
File: 1458425710452.jpg (68 KB, 600x580) Image search: [Google]
1458425710452.jpg
68 KB, 600x580
>>7566733
>Nobody was really positioned to comment as I was dining alone, though
>>
>>7568153
Missed my point, which was that the kid can be happy and successful outside of high society.
>>
When eating a soup, your spoon scoops away from you, not towards.
Use the fork starting closest to your plate first, and you work out for each course.

That's what my mother taught me, but I've had to use it as the fanciest restaurant I've ever been to was Applebee's.
>>
>>7565545
>suck the caretakers dick
>>
File: ligaf.jpg (86 KB, 600x452) Image search: [Google]
ligaf.jpg
86 KB, 600x452
>>7565162
This. From a former butler to the Queen:

>If you're faced with a regiment of cutlery and an army of glasses and you're unsure what to do, watch your host to see what they do. I was once on the Royal Yacht Britannia in the South Pacific and the Queen was hosting a dinner for a local prince. Dessert was served. The prince forgot to watch what the Queen did - instead, he popped the grapes into his finger bowl, then some cherries, then when the cream and sugar came out, he poured them in too, making a kind of fruit soup. I was standing behind the Queen looking horrified. He was about to raise the bowl to his lips to drink it when he looked at the Queen and realised he had made a terrible mistake. Not wanting to make him feel awkward, she picked up her finger bowl and took a sip.
>>
I think everyone should learn table manners. I never go out to eat with my house mate unless it's fast food. He has no table manners and will lick his plate in a restaurant. He makes strange sounds when eats too.
>>
Eating BK gave me the worst case of diarrhea I've ever experienced. I was poor at the time, and a BK was advertising its dollar menu on the sign, and I never ate BK before, so I thought, why not?

It was literally a shitty mistake. Semi-liquid feces were coming out of me, all day, all night.

As for the food, the fries were pretty decent, but the beef and chicken were extremely bland, an dry.

Seeing all of you praising BK makes me think the local owner is cheap as hell.
>>
>>7565084
>there were like 3 different knives and forks

The only reason for this, is for rich people who have memorized the irrelevant "rules" to feel superior over those who quite rightly see no need to pointlessly use multiple knives, forks and other nick-knacks.
>>
>>7571813
When you have a servant to cook the meal, set the table and clean up after why not use a clean utensil for each course?
>>
Oh yeah , this is the problem with that dude on the titanic in that Titanic movie with that god awful Celene Dion song or something.

The fat chick tells him to start on the outside and work his way in (with regards to utensils). Sounds like a pretty good strat.
>>
>>7571813
is this real? ahaha
that is a neat looking glaiveknife tho
>>
>>7571823

because im a pretty down to earth guy. i would have a butler set my table for me and do the dishes but then we would both kick back and drink a 6 pack talk about kobe dropping 60 last night and use 1 set of silverware because anything more is fucking retarded.
>>
>>7571611
>From a former butler to the Queen
Yeah...I'm gonna need some proof on that. Thanks.
>>
File: 12 course meal setting.jpg (53 KB, 736x590) Image search: [Google]
12 course meal setting.jpg
53 KB, 736x590
>>7571837
>that is a neat looking glaiveknife tho

I know, right? That's the only knife I'd use, along with a regular fork and that super tiny spoon to eat my soup and stir my coffee with.
>>
>>7571848
he's clearly quoting a butler, not claiming to be one
>>
>>7571859
You can't expect americucks to put 2 and 2 together
>>
>>7565084
manners/etiquette are for faggots.

>seriously, is choosing different forks and knives even important in eating?
no.
>what's the point of table manners?
to be pretentious.
>>
>>7571839
> watch Kobe's last game
>cry
>wipe tears with tissue
>roll tissues into a ball
>shoot into wastebasket
>"KOBE!!!!"
>think for a minute
>cry again
>>
File: KK_JPjp10_000040600.jpg (121 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
KK_JPjp10_000040600.jpg
121 KB, 800x1200
>>7571813

What's the little "tree" with the cylindrical base, that's sitting on the plate above the napkin, used for?
>>
>>7571943
I believe that's a place card holder.
>>
>>7571855
>pasta spoon
How do you eat noodles with a spoon?
>>
>>7571968
Yes, that is correct.
>>
>>7565084
wow
>>
>>7571968
Yep.

>>7571943
At formal dinner parties, hosts arrange guests' seating according to social status, marital status, gender, and to instigate potential conversations.
>>
File: 1460275768450.png (121 KB, 199x346) Image search: [Google]
1460275768450.png
121 KB, 199x346
>>7565447
>pre-internet meme
>>
File: KroySquare.jpg (53 KB, 288x288) Image search: [Google]
KroySquare.jpg
53 KB, 288x288
>>7572112
They existed, fagotron.
>>
>>7571611
What a perfect gentlewoman
>>
>>7571855
>salad knife/fork innermost

some retard shit right there
>>
File: 1373618726070.jpg (95 KB, 1024x662) Image search: [Google]
1373618726070.jpg
95 KB, 1024x662
>literally called me a plebeian

I really hope this is literally true.
>>
File: pepefing.jpg (74 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
pepefing.jpg
74 KB, 300x250
>roasted me
>this story
>the manner in which it was told

Everyone in this the way is getting cucked simultaneously

I'm gonna take a wild guess

>your girlfriend takes u to her very white parents house to eat because it's 2016 and they need to stop being racist
>Ooga booga where da fried chicken at
>your girlfriends dad flips out at you for not knowing how to hold a fork and calls you an animal and storms off
>"this isn't a phase dad Jamal and I are in love!"
>make shitty thread on 4chan out of spite

You can't trick me motherfucker
>>
>>7571994
You don't. You roll up the spaghetti with the fork "drilling" the spoon at an angle. It acts as a backstop for the fork as you coil the spaghetti and also serves to conceal the act from others sitting in front of you.
>>
>>7565365
Kek this
>>
>>7565162
Absolutely this, OP. You shouldn't feel bad for not knowing about the cutlery; they should feel bad for their lack of manners at berating a guest. They embarrassed themselves, and your girlfriend should be embarrassed by the way they behaved. I hope she told them off after you left. Ignorance is forgivable; deliberate bad manners and arrogance are not.
>>
>>7573476
>also serves to conceal the act from others sitting in front of you.

What?
I have to eat pasta secretly now?
>>
File: hamfisted.jpg (166 KB, 574x1015) Image search: [Google]
hamfisted.jpg
166 KB, 574x1015
>>7565162
Holy moly
>>
>>7565084 (OP)
This is unbelievable. Do people SERIOUSLY think its rude to USE FORKS AND KNIVES IN THE WRONG ORDER and consider it "bad manners"? Why the fuck is that a thing? Isn't there more important things to give a fuck about?! If I ever get rich I'll be sure to set out a dozen forks and knives, invite some other rich people over, then stuff my face with my bare hands just to spite the fucking retards.
>>
>>7573486
What do you think you would achieve? You'd only confirm their objection to social mobility, and it's this objection that leads them to put the crimp in social mobility that ensures you will never get to actually live this fantasy of being rich.
>>
>>7565162
This to some extent.

>>7566568
>You can remind her parents that by apologizing for your table manners and admit you weren't aware of which silverware to use. A handwritten letter will absolutely destroy them.
and this.>>7566574
>Be sure if you write a short letter that the primary message is gratitude for the meal.

Well brought up Brit here, Things like this are second nature to me as my parents brought me up this way.

I am very relaxed about it in a non formal setting but it still irks me to see people finish a meal and not put their knives and forks together.
>>
>>7573493
I don't really have a fantasy of being rich but having a set order for how you use multiple utensils makes zero sense and is completely pointless. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>7573496
>Prove me wrong.
It makes zero sense to you because you have never been in such a formal occasion with multiple courses. Eating dessert with your soup spoon because you previously used the wrong spoon for your soup, just makes you look like an imbecile. It's up to you if want to endure sideways glances whilst others are splitting their sides internally?
>>
>>7573504
No no no. I'm arguing that having such a system in the first place makes zero sense and is completely unnecessary, and a waste of time. Pay attention.
>>
>>7573505
>Pay attention.
It appears you are unable to phrase your question correctly.

From what I can gather, are you suggesting the tables are re-laid for every course?
>>
>>7573516
I suggest. That you use whichever fork, knife, and spoon you want, for whatever course. Assuming you even need as many utensils, sure lets say you need more then one fork and knife for a certain dish. It doesn't matter, and its a made up thing to matter, and a waste of time, to care what order you use these to eat your food. It is serves no purpose.
>>
File: 1457373803664.jpg (337 KB, 867x848) Image search: [Google]
1457373803664.jpg
337 KB, 867x848
>>7573483
>>
>>7573518
>I suggest. That you use whichever fork, knife, and spoon you want, for whatever course.
Good luck with that anon.
I refer you to my previous comment >>7573504
Just bear in mind that any smirks whilst dining will be at your expense.
>>
>>7573528
Fucking shitposting asshole. Enjoy the yous then, you piece of shit.
>>
>>7573533
Don't forget to taste your food before piling on the Salt.

I wish you all the best in your future dining endeavours my uncouth friend.
>>
>>7571611
Now that is a queen I'd be willing to be a subject of.
>>
File: s-l300.jpg (10 KB, 225x300) Image search: [Google]
s-l300.jpg
10 KB, 225x300
>he doesn't carry around his own personal Sesame Street utensils and whip them out like a boss

P L E B
>>
>>7565104
This
>>
>>7571611
based Liz
>>
>>7573482
Only rolling up the noodles. It's unsightly.
>>
>>7573489
Proper tools for the proper job. You don't use a steel hammer to buff out dents, you use a rubber mallet.
>>
>>7573400
Makes perfect sense though. It's laid out from innermost to outermost based on courses as plate sizes get bigger so by the time you arrive on the next stage of the meal, you'd have more space to put bigger plates on as the utensils would have been cleared.
>>
>>7565400
>Ten different types of chopsticks
>>
I see a lot of uncultured poor plebs here who are not only roiling with disgust over proper manners and people who have made it and are willing to put in the effort to civilize themselves, but are also proud that they are ignorant.

I see you all as the same as third worlder jungle monkeys who eat with their unwashed hands or those who chew with their mouths open and talk while their mouths are full.

/ck/ is truly the poverty and savage board. Makes sense, people who like cooking or are working as a cook are often poor and bitter.
>>
>>7574602
Please leave or stop posting
>>
>>7565084
>is choosing different forks and knives even important in eating?
Yes? Different knives are easier and more comfortable to use on different meats.
To not disgust other people who are eating on the same table as you? Think of it this way: you're eating in a restaurant and a dindu nuffin Tyrone eats his lamb chops by grabbing it by the bone and tearing into it. That's just barbaric and you'd (well not you, but others who are more cultured) feel uneasy and lose your appetite looking and hearing at such uncivilized manner. That dindu is you. Either acquire table manners or get out. It literally takes only minutes to learn proper use of utensils. If you can't even do it, then you are the same as dindus who dont want to learn basic table manners.
>>
The shit that bothers me is when a motherfucker holds the fork in a retard fist when he cuts a steak. My lil stepbrother does that shit and it makes me wanna slap his faggot face
>>
When did /ck/ become so full of poorfags? They used to be laughed off the board back then.
>>
>>7574614
Truth hurts. If you don't want to hear it, then feel free to stay ignorant and poor. Yeah, boy, those upper-middle class posers are pretentious fucks that over-complicate stuff for the sake of it.

This board is a joke, considering the amount of bone-headed posts in this thread and the puerile topics up right now.

You guys can't cook and can't even follow simple procedures to eat like a human being.
>>
>>7574602
>proud that they are ignorant
Not quite. They are class aware. Not being members of the class that distinguishes itself by manners at the table they dismiss the concept as nonsense. Rightfully so. The working class puts the same energy into mocking the uppers that the upper middles put in to trying to emulate them.

That's just how it works.
>>
File: images.jpg (9 KB, 279x181) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9 KB, 279x181
To anyone knowing richfags. Like really richfags. Super rich richfags.

Invite them to your house for dinner. Arrange the tableware and such. Then bring out chicken drumsticks, deep fried. Then tacos, big and messy, with a collective mocajete for guacamole and sour cream with a lot of queso de oaxaca and queso michoacana. Finally.

Finally.

Bring this out.
>>
>>7574618
>that dindu is you
If that doesn't convince you to change, nothing will
>>
>>7565084
>s choosing different forks and knives even important in eating?

No

Eating with snobs is less nauseating than eating with slobs
>>
>>7574631
Is that stuffed fish grilled with some pepper?
>>
>>7574631
>Super rich
>Invite them to your house for dinner
That's not how it goes down with that crowd. They invite you out to dinner at a restaurant somewhere, and there's absolutely no question about who is picking up the bill. Or, if you're very lucky they invite you to their summer place for a week. And they will not react to any lack of class display on your part, though they may notice it. The kind of people who would rudely point out the shortcomings of your manners are not those at or near the top of the social status. The ones who make a show of such things are those who just managed to climb out of the middle class, and want everyone around them to see that they have.
>>
>>7565084
Would you use the knife used to apply butter on bread to cut a loaf of bread? Would you use a knife used to cut a loaf of bread to cut a steak or fish?
>>
>>7573496
>order makes no sense
>>
>>7565084
>Not brushing up on etiquette before meeting your girlfriend's parents

You deserved to get BTFO you fucking idiot; you embarrassed your girlfriend more than yourself. Go apologize to her if you haven't already and then write an apology to her parents explaining that you were never raised with proper table manners.
>>
>>7568107
>How do those values compare to the arbitrary customs of which fork to use?
Etiquette is a bellwether for upbringing.
>>
>>7565084
The point of table manners is to make people feel comfortable. Your in-laws are retarded for roasting you, they could have just provided you with constructive feedback.
>>
>>7571907
his beef is pretty amazing though
>>
>>7571994
>How do you eat noodles with a spoon?
you don't eat the spoon, you fucking tardo

you use it for coiling pruposes, then use the fork to transfer it to your mouth
>>
>>7574595
dinner comes before fish?
>>
File: 40kpurge.jpg (47 KB, 750x600) Image search: [Google]
40kpurge.jpg
47 KB, 750x600
>>7573459
you are wise beyond your years
>>
>>7574757
Nah, you're a cunt.
>>
>>7565128
Knowing the exact use of all silverware at an overly elaborate dinner isn't a basic social skill you faggot. Also, there are different rules for fucking Amerifats at dinner so go fuck yourself twice.

As for OP, just stand up for yourself and tell them that you wont be teaching such useless things to your children as you are not a snob with delusions of grandeur.
>>
>>7574628
awww, a faggot marxist

fuck you egaylietardian
>>
>>7574631
>mocajete
> queso de oaxaca and queso michoacana.
kek

fucking spanglish pleb food

you have to go back

>>7574653
true

>>7575035
omg, there is liek a fucking zillion knives, and I can only count to six
>>
>>7574653
>they invite you to their summer place for a week
1950 was a while ago, anon.
>>
>>7575122
>not knowing people with places in the Hamptons and/or the Cape
>>
>>7565084
http://www.tubeplus.is/player/1226068/Penn_and_Teller%3A_Bullshit%21/season_4/episode_8/Manners/

this link works.
I dont normally rec this show but this is kind of one of their essentials.
>>
>>7575021
You don't eat meats before the fish? Meats are heavier than fish and by having fish after the meats, you ease yourself gradually before the dessert.
>>
>>7574653
>>7565162
These
>>
>>7575139
The Hamptons definitely come to mind.

>>7575090
The people of Oaxaca are still indigenous, and Spanish is still the second language for many people there, with English being their third language respectively.

PS, Mexican food is not spanglish or pleb.

>>7574653
>>7571611
This.
>>
>>7575216
relly? I though it was starter,salad, fish, meat(main), desert

>>7575286
they speak spanish? but they aren't euro? isn't that cultural appropriation?
>>
>>7570061
Yeah chicken is definitely one of those things that's better with hands. Just rip into that fucker. RIP AND TEAR.
>>
>>7575289
I'm not sure that I am following you on this one, so I apologize if this isn't the answer that you wanted.

The country is Mexico, and the national language is Spanish. There are still areas, notably Oaxaca, and the Chatino people that have held to their roots. They have to learn Spanish if they want to leave their town.
>>
>>7575300
do they culturally appropriate the White mans technology? refrigeration, computers, electricity, internet, tv, radio, internal and external combustion engines?

because that is very insensitive and bigoted, and racist, that is OUR culture
>>
>>7571855
>pasta spoon
>salad knife

Fucking wasteful bourgeois
>>
>>7574595
Individual plates go on top of the base plate. Your argument is retarded.
>>
>>7575300
let the record show that he could not answer >>7575317

because he knows mexicoons have invented jack shit, complain about sokmbreros whilst using all the White mans tech, poor beaner
>>
>>7571611
in all honestly why does that fucking matter at all? if they arent making a mess, arent being rude,or dirtying themselves then why does it matter how they eat?
>>
File: placesetting.jpg (14 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
placesetting.jpg
14 KB, 300x200
OP here

As suggested,I sent the letter of apology to my GF's parents and my GF said that they were really pleased and invited me to eat dinner again to reconcile

now, what do? i alraedy learned what knives and forks to use but god damn i'm nervous as hell
i'm afraid that i'd fuck it up again
>>
>>7575968
Just tell em you are willing to learn and ask them to point out your mistakes.
>>
>>7565144
>tfw you are always scared af when you are splitting that this will happen to you
>>
File: sigh.png (5 KB, 670x429) Image search: [Google]
sigh.png
5 KB, 670x429
>>7565128
This. Imagine showing up to a fancy dinner hosted by your girlfriend's parents with multiple forks and thinking, "this looks more formal than what I'm accustomed to, but fuck it I'll just reveal my extra chromosome anyways."
How could you not observe the situation, extrapolate from incomplete data, and adapt? Take some responsibility here, man. Maybe they were just trying to see if you had any semblance of problem-solving skills. If you can't figure out a little dinner politeness on the fly, how are you ever going to provide for their daughter? How are you going to raise strong-minded children? For fuck's sake m8.
>>
>>7575968
Hopefully they will eventually offer to help you find a job through their connections that will be good enough to support their daughter.

When I hooked up with a rich girl a job with her uncle's company was suddenly on the table. I was obviously her rebellious fuck, because when I suggested to her I was considering it she broke up with me.
>>
>>7576027
I can understand assuming that the different utensils serve different purposes. It's a leap of logic though to assume that it's a matter of etiquette and that it's important. Having never learned, I too would assume that it doesn't really matter and it's just there for people who prefer it.
>>
>>7565098
>>7576037
just saying
>>
File: rock and roll.gif (1 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
rock and roll.gif
1 MB, 200x150
>>7574583
>It's unsightly.
I bet you hear that a lot.
>>
>>7575451
Nope, they don't
>>
>>7575968
When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

Glad my advice helped. You won't always know what situations you'll find yourself in, but you'll always carry your grace with you. Give people the benefit of the doubt, be polite, forgive and forget, be thankful, and do what your hosts do. Almost all social mistakes and offenses are simply misunderstandings waiting for your good-natured flexibility to put right. You'll be fine!
>>
>>7573504
>Eating dessert with your soup spoon because you previously used the wrong spoon for your soup, just makes you look like an imbecile.

Because there's such substantial difference between the two spoons that will totally spoil your meal...
>>
File: neanderthal.jpg (170 KB, 500x491) Image search: [Google]
neanderthal.jpg
170 KB, 500x491
>>7574618
> using the "wrong" spoon is the equivalent of being a Neanderthal
>>
>>7575160
ffs this is relevent guys stop distracting op from it.
>>
>>7575968
see >>7575160
you fucking faggot.
>>
>>7571889
He meant proof of the story, obviously. He didn't think that anon was claiming to BE the butler.
>>
>>7576412
Pretty much. You might as well be, actually. It takes not more than 5 minutes to learn about how to conduct yourself properly while dining and a lot of people here seem to be resistant to it. If they can't even do that, I have little faith they can do anything else properly.
>>
>>7576539
>>it takes 5 minutes to learn a completely new skill that does literally fucking nothing but constrain you and the very practice of which is completely for shoving out the lower echelons who wont know it or have the money for 9 slightly different utensils at every meal.
yeah no dumbfuck, memorizing a ton of new rules (bu but theyre just silverwhere) no dumb ass, there's a ton of fucking stupid etiquette rules and you fucking know it, and theyre all asinine fossils that don't have fucking anything to do with civility or politeness.

fucking shut up, and watch this god damn link.
>>7575160
>>
Super table manners beyond not chewing with your mouth open/talking with your mouth full and not hunching over the table like a hyena are just for holier-than-thous to have something to laugh at the "lessers" about. Who gives a shit what fork you use, it's a damn fork. Tell her parents to fuck off and quit being a psychopathic shit.

>Also your gf should have told you.
>>
>>7567553
>eating pizza with your hands
You absolute fucking lunatic, how could you possibly do such a thing? The people you know must absolutely furious at your bizarre antics!
>>
>>7575968
Did you at least buy some lube before taking it up the ass?
>>
>>7576539
Hope you're in your best morning dress today, champ. Wouldn't want people to think you're a savage without your tailcoat before noon, would we? After all, it takes but five minutes to get dressed.
>>
>>7565113
We do, you stupid cunt
>>
>>7576932
Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today
>>
>>7576967
Why would I do such a thing? An esteemed gentleman knows which side is the correct side of the bed to get out of.
>>
>>7576980
*flair petticoat*
>>
File: 1445449991820.png (400 KB, 458x394) Image search: [Google]
1445449991820.png
400 KB, 458x394
>be with gf for 4 years
>when we met she had almost no table manners
>over time I've taught her
>its no longer an issue
>mfw when we eat dinner with her parents and they eat like pigs
>>
File: 1460758331120.gif (2 MB, 250x142) Image search: [Google]
1460758331120.gif
2 MB, 250x142
>Staying over in-laws for weekend
>Dinner served in conservatory
>Four of us sharing a tiny round table
>They pour out some wine
>I'm not in the mood for it so I grab a beer (they prefer it if you grab what you want)
>"Can I get you a glass for that Anon? Surely you aren't going to drink out of the bottle!"
>"No this is fine, plus it saves on space"

Jesus christ it's just a family dinner, not a fine resturant. MIL has also coined the term "Ghetto Tea" because I don't use a teapot when I make tea at our house (news flash it's only me who drinks tea), they are so obviously middle class but not offensively so.
>>
>>7565107
>edgy buttmad virgin detected
>>
>>7576843
Memorization is easy. Just repeat it and it'll become second nature in no time.

>linking Penn & Teller bullshit
Gee, do you get all your information from reality TV shows too? I know /ck/ is trash, but come on.
>>
>>7575082
Recognizing class distinctions does not make one a Marxist. Believing the government should control the means of production on behalf of the workers makes you a Marxist, and I sure as fuck don't believe that.

My point was that everyone in this thread spouting the opinion that upper class table manners are bullshit are members of the lower middle class, working class, or below. Because upper middles strive to ape the uppers, and to the uppers this is just how it's done.

The very purpose of this stuff is to be a class tell, and as such it's very effective.
>>
>>7578214
>it's wrong because it's on tv
ok
>>
>>7566001
Funnily enough, I am.
>>
>>7565144
>>7576012
Holy fucking shit, are people retarded? Just stand so that the log is right in front of you and spread your legs a bit (a bit more than shoulder width), then nothing can happen to you (unless you are doing stupid shit and the axe somehow slides)
>>
>>7576012
well, stand closer and spread your legs
>>
>>7578318
>>7578319
That's literally what you do but its still scary af. If it hits a knot or something and it bounces sideways...
>>
>>7568076
>If you're not sure just ask.
So much this.

This is why her parents called you a plebian. You didn't know proper etiquette....which is fine; but you chose not to ask and be a trashy pleb

Fucking christ OP, you are as bad as my wife's son when I was teaching him etiquette
Thread replies: 188
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.