[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you drink your whisky? Pic related, just bought a bottle.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 10
File: monkeyshoulder.jpg (31 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
monkeyshoulder.jpg
31 KB, 540x540
How do you drink your whisky?

Pic related, just bought a bottle. First time trying this particular brand.
>>
In a glass?
>>
>>7561849
Depends on the brand and also the situation. If I'm drinking cheap Canadian club then I usually mix with coke zero. If I'm drinking higher end I like it neat.
>>
>>7561849
I actually just finished my first bottle of monkey shoulder a few days ago, was pretty good for the price. I just had mine on the rocks with a small splash of water
>>
>>7561849
>scotch
yuck
>>
50/50 with coke.

100% depression
>>
>>7561849
I usually either drink it on the rocks, can't sit their drinking warm whiskey unless it's in shots.
>>
>>7561849
when i was a severe alcohol, 1 part ezra brooks to 3 parts cool water. kept me going all day and night, and never felt too terrible because of proper hydration.

well, not terrible except for waking at 4 am every morning in a pool of sweat…
>>
>>7562057
Thats a thing? Waking up at 3-4 am after drinking a lot? Do u fall back asleep because i don't usually. I've been drinking a lot over the last year, but i kind of figured my lack of sleeping was from something else. Not sure what tho.
>>
>>7561849

I try a sip straight, and then add a small amount of water at a time until the burn goes away and I can get the flavour.

Personally not a fan of ice in Scotch as I think cooling it dulls the flavour, but for American stuff I think a cube of ice enhances it.

Give it a go though, it is your whisky and you drink it how you want to.
>>
>>7561849
Monkey Shoulders pretty standard whiskey, OK if you're starting out
I drink whiskey neat, put your hand over the glass to warm it up, smell, think about the aroma, the smell, then swill more, taste, then think about the flavors, what's going on in your mouth and brain, and then wait for the finish, think about the after taste, how does it make you feel, did you enjoy the secondary flavors and finishing notes, what does it remind you of food wise. This is how I drink whiskey
>>
File: 2013-11-11-11-35-54.jpg (1 MB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
2013-11-11-11-35-54.jpg
1 MB, 1920x2560
I drink it neat on a park bench screaming "you're an arab!" at joggers/kids. Then I go to a local cafe and eat brunch.
>>
>>7562156

>everyday value

What is that stuff like? Any good?
>>
>>7562163
It won't win any awards but it's fine for mixing with soda or whatever.
>>
>>7561849
I'm an alcohol so I keep it in a cupboard then go in every 20 minutes and gulp a load of it down
Whatever size bottle I get I drink it that day so I usually get a 12 oz
>>
>ctrl+f pickle

are pickleback shots a Northeast US thing?

Hell, I'll just alternate sips of the cheap stuff and pickle juice.

Or Mountain Dew if i'm feeling more redneck-y than usual.
>>
>>7562011

The "I have a vagina and don't understand alcohol" the post
>>
>>7561849
>How do you drink your whisky?
Two ways:

Normal way - drinking slowly in shot amounts
Churchill way - 1 part whisky + 11 parts water and drinking the thing slowly throughout the day
>>
>Jameson
>Ginger Ale
>>
>>7562578
>1 part whisky + 11 parts water
People actually drink that way?
>>
like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKkkEMem-tc&t=2m30s
>>
>>7562011
>>7562555
B T F O
T
F
O
>>
>>7562603
>>7562555
>>7562011
>I have wasted 10+ hours a week for years and years talking to actual children on the internet that I tell myself are adults in order to not feel too humiliated about socializing with school kids with school kid opinions, humor, and insults

Someone please just kill me.
>>
>>7562616
Where do you live?
>>
>>7562616
>>7562626
Please respond.
>>
File: image.jpg (124 KB, 600x832) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
124 KB, 600x832
>>7562081
i went to bed at 9pm, woke up at 4am and drank continuously in between. still a good 7hrs. i didn't have this schedule until a month of drinking this heavily.

i'm actually a neuroscifag, so if you'd like an explanation on why this is, please ask
>>
>>7562616
Pshhhhh 10+? More like 8 hours a day for the past 7 years. God please kill me.
>>
>>7562616
Confirmed woman.
>>
>>7561849
half a glass, regardless of the size of the glass

also three ice cubes
>>
With some water. Sometimes just a few drops, sometimes more depending on the strength and whatnot. I don't really like ice in spirits, just seems to dull the flavor to me.
>>
With rohypnol. It's the only way I can stop myself from finishing the entire bottle in one sitting.
>>
on the rocks
>>
File: image.jpg (69 KB, 266x560) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69 KB, 266x560
Neat,
What do we think of Knob Creek gents?
>>
>>7562156
Sounds pretty based anon.
>>
With a couple ice cubes in a tumbler. I like to slosh the whiskey around a bit and melt some ice. Also a fan of whiskey and ginger ale.
>>
File: 250px-Bookers[1].jpg (21 KB, 250x431) Image search: [Google]
250px-Bookers[1].jpg
21 KB, 250x431
with a splash of cold spring water
>>
1. Open bottle
2. Bring to mouth
3. Druink
>>
>>7562582
It's how Churchill maintained the illusion of being drunk all the time while actually never drinking to drunkenness.
>>
>>7561858
>mixing whiskey with coke zero
>my nigga
>>
I start from a glass and ends up drinking right from the bottle. Yep I'm a degenerate.
>>
File: whiskyonthesnakesrocks.jpg (80 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
whiskyonthesnakesrocks.jpg
80 KB, 720x960
Johnnys walking on the snakes rocks.
>>
>>7563242
Favorite for the price range
>>
>>7561849
>>7561849

Neat, no exceptions.
>>
>>7562578
>1 part whisky + 11 parts water
How does this work? Can you still taste the whisky?
>>
>>7561849
With a hint of water, so it lowers ABV a bit, don't feel the Bern any more, and reveals more flavor
>>
>>7562555
Nah
Scotch actually tastes like shit
>>
File: 1331073723626.jpg (13 KB, 298x379) Image search: [Google]
1331073723626.jpg
13 KB, 298x379
>>7563518
Could be nice.
>>
>>7563615
That's a cool shitty opinion you have there.
>>
>>7563242
My very first whiskey, all of sixteen years ago.
>>
How about some whisky recomendations?

I recently tried some Laphroaig Quater Cask (neat), it hit like a truck at first and I thought I hated it, but as I continued I realised I actually loved it. Getting the wife to buy me some for my birthday
>>
>>7561849
Neat or with a small splash of water. If it's a whisk(e)y that does well at a colder temperature, I'll use one small ice cube. Does the job of the water and cools the temperature a bit.

Typically though, a small splash of water is all I will have.
>>
>>7563986
It only gets better my friend. First half dozen times I had Laphroaig I liked it but it wasnt game changing. Came back to it a year later and it was like a whole new whisky with about a hundred new flavours. Now it is my whisky of choice (the 18 year old or the quarter cask) Probably because I had gotten a bit older but also I think, because I had started enjoying wine and maybe differentiating wine flavours helped mature my palate a bit.
>>
>>7563266
This made me fall in love with bourbon.
Before my favourite barman made me taste it I'd only drink spirits to get drunk. But once I tasted the Booker's I sarted to appreciate any quality spirits, working my way through scotches, bourbon, rhums.
It's a grand cru. It's like your first sexy time, you remember all the feelings of that moment.
>>
>>7563615
It really doesn't taste anything like shit. It's ok that you don't like it. I really think it was strong of you to come to a thread about whisky to tell people you don't like it. Brave even. Kudos to you for that. However, I recommend you go conduct a taste test experiment. Put just a little drop of Scotch on your tongue followed by a wee speck of shit. Please come back and report your comparative findings.
>>
>>7563941
Good, bad?
I picked up a bottle this week, hadn't had it before.
>>
>>7562657
Why is this?
>>
>>7564114
It's a great drink for the value. Even when it was my first, I don't remember it being a harsh or unpleasant drink at all. Smooth and flavorful.
>>
What's a good whiskey in the £100 range? I want a bottle around for special occasions
>>
>>7564354

Jack daniels
>>
>>7564345
It's pretty good, very thick and sweet compared to what I was expecting. Most bourbons aren't aged even close to that long. Has an almost overbearing oak taste to it, but overall I like it.
Worth the $30 and better than many more expensive ones I've had.
>>
>>7564385
Terrible, much like JW, mass produced shit smelling of cheap liquor, acetone and glue.
MUH charcoal filtration, muh traditional recipe, muh definitely not a bourbon.
>>
>>7563615
This, it's like drinking rancid compost water
>>
>>7561849
What's it like? Stuff is relatively cheap and it looks good for a blended malt.
On par with stuff like Johnny Walker and the like? Better?
>>
>>7562166
>made for mixing
well at least they're being honest.

Shit still probably tastes way better than vodka.
>>
>>7563242
Out of all the bourbons I've tried, this one is probably the second best I think.

Four Roses>>Knob Creek>Buffalo Trace>Maker's Mark>Evan Williams=Wild Turkey>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jim Beam
>>
>>7566628
I've seen Four Roses praised a lot, but when I've happened to notice it in stores, it is usually fairly cheap stuff and pretty inconspicuous looking. Is there some version of it that is good, but is the innocent $20 looking bottle halfway down the shelf in fact good? If so I'll buy it.
>>
>>7567148
There are different four roses, but it doesn' tmatter. In either case it will be better than the regular bottlings of all of those. Sure a few have super-premium bottles that are competitive but FR doesn't have the problem of making a shit version.
>>
>>7567148
Im gonna talk about the generic version as I have no experience with the single barrel versions, though I want to. Roses is my go-to bourbon that never gives a bad taste while never being too excentric. You can taste the point of being an all rounder and trying to cather to the widest audience possible. A vanilla, if you will, without being harsh and palatable mass-produced (read: shit). Still leaps ahead of Jim Beam or Jack Daniels offereings.
>>
>>7567148
I haven't tried their regular stuff, but their single barrel and small batch are both excellent.
>>
Thoughts on putting the bottle in the freezer?

I've done it a few times because that's what I do with vodka, and because I figured it would be like "on the rocks" without the rocks. But I'm starting to think it might be overkill, as it really lessens the taste. So now I'm drinking at room temperature.

Thinking of trying whisky stones.
>>
File: 15981-540x335.jpg (202 KB, 540x335) Image search: [Google]
15981-540x335.jpg
202 KB, 540x335
on the rocks
>>
>>7563266
lmao.

>gigantic glass full of whiskey
someones going to wake up with diarrhea
>>
>>7563586
I prefer to just swish it around in my mouth like I would some wine. It dilutes it with saliva gradually, and I find the flavor clarity jumps way up without the finickyness of adding water.
>>
>>7568208
blech
>>
>>7563586
Good advice for very peaty scotches. Sure Glenmorangie doesn't need it but fuck me Laphroaig and a few drops of water are a match in heaven
>>
>>7563986
Macallan Gold is worthwhile.
Glenmorangie is my "party" scotch, ie: the one I share around with a few friends because it's easiest to drink (sweet, not too strong).
If you like Laphroaig you'll like other Islay scotches, a good one would be Lagavulin.
>>
>>7568796
Even Glenmorangie or whatever won't be hurt by it. Though if you get it at the bare minimum 40% rather than the great American 43%, any water might be too much.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.