[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you're lazy as fuck, can you make miso soup just by mixing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
If you're lazy as fuck, can you make miso soup just by mixing some miso paste and water in a bowl, then microwaving it? I have some I need to use up, but I can't be bothered getting any tofu, stock, dashi or anything like that.
>>
It'd probably work but why would you want to do that
>>
>>7558487
Thought it'd be a nice warm soup to drink when you feel like something warm other than coffee or tea.
>>
>>7558472
I'd probably microwave the water and then add the miso.
And pretty much any vegetable can be added so you're not just eating fermented bean water.
This is usually what I do, just on the stove top.
>>
>>7558603
this

Never actually cook the miso paste, it kills all the bacteria in it.
>>
no a lot of the taste comes from dashi... miso soup is not strictly miso

first u boil the dashi then turn the heat off then add the miso in

if u really that lazy trader joes sells instant miso soup that isnt complete shit
>>
I make miso soup almost every morning in lieu of coffee or tea.

I boil water with hondashi until it's dissolved, turn off the heat, add a big spoon of miso and whisk until it's no longer chunky.

It takes less than 10 minutes and is great as is, but if I have tofu, scallions, spinach, or other stuff that goes it's better. Scallions honestly make a huge difference.
>>
File: d0170835_6544324.jpg (162 KB, 500x335) Image search: [Google]
d0170835_6544324.jpg
162 KB, 500x335
>>
>>7558615
miso shouldn't be boiled either, ur suppsoed to mix it in after you've made ur dashi while it's warm but not boiling
>>
boil water with electric kettle. make slurry with miso. add extra water

Reconstitute some wakame separately and add
>>
>>7558472
I just use the prepackaged shit from Costco.
>>
>>7558491
You need dashi or it'll suck. Just go to the Asian market and get hondashi powder
>>
Can we get an actual max temperature Celsius for making sure miso doesn't get overcooked? Otherwise sounds like you all could be doing it anyway, just not as bad as full boil.
>>
>>7560514
Japs don't care about temperatures. This is just how they always do. Turn off the boil and add miso.

I'm sure some Jap scientists know the temperature at which these cultures die, but whether that knowledge has spread to the world of food seems dubious to me. Cooking, to them, is art and mysticism more than science.
>>
>>7558607
can you really tell the taste difference between live and dead bacteria minutes after cooking.
>>
>>7558472
While everyone else here says yes, previous experience says no. The dashi stock for it is pretty important. Itll just be diluted miso instead of being the rich and savory miso soup without dashi.
>>
File: dashimiso.jpg (144 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
dashimiso.jpg
144 KB, 1600x1200
You can buy them mixed already.
>>
>>7560528
>Japs don't care about temperatures. This is just how they always do. Turn off the boil and add miso.
>I'm sure some Jap scientists know the temperature at which these cultures die, but whether that knowledge has spread to the world of food seems dubious to me. Cooking, to them, is art and mysticism more than science.
That's totally irrelevant here though, as we are not Japs with familial-traditional skills. Though we could replicate those if we knew the exact temperatures.

It's the exact same for chinese tea, the chinese watched the water's texture to tell the temperatures, and that same thing can be done with a thermometer.
>>
>not adding dashi, seaweed, pepper, green onion, ginger, garlic, mushrooms, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, sugar
Westerners, when will they learn?
>>
>>7560538

It's not about killing the bacteria or whatever.

If the water is too hot the miso will turn grainy and not mix with the dashi.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.