[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone actually use this? What's to stop me from using
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7
File: Bamboo-Steamer-in-Wok.jpg (336 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
Bamboo-Steamer-in-Wok.jpg
336 KB, 1440x1080
Does anyone actually use this? What's to stop me from using a pot with a steamer and lining it with cabbage?
>>
>>7556232
nothing, it's a meme
>>
Cabbage frequently goes on strike.
>>
File: spinach.jpg (46 KB, 383x437) Image search: [Google]
spinach.jpg
46 KB, 383x437
>>7556245
You're thinking of spinach
>>
>>7556232
>What's to stop me from using a pot with a steamer
That's what you pic is though. A pot with a steamer basket.
>>
>>7556232
I used one to make gyoza once. That was it.
>>
>>7556232
I bought one, never used it, could bring myself to kill a gog and steam it, plus it doesn't sit right on any pot I own
>>
I use bamboo steamers all the time. What do you want to steam? I find bamboo steamers are much easier than those fold up metal steamers because of the amount of space. I can fit a lot more dumplings in, there's space for bao zi to rise, and I can put bowls or plates in to steam food that way.
>>
File: 1451536985985.jpg (38 KB, 307x297) Image search: [Google]
1451536985985.jpg
38 KB, 307x297
>>7556710
The fuck is a gog

>>7557249
I was looking into what the steamer does that a standard metal pot steamer doesn't - putting the steamer in a pan with water that you keep adding seems like a pain in the ass
>>
>>7558785
Someone from north Wales
>>
>>7558785
Nothing, why would you expect it to do something different? It's just different kind of steamer.
>>
>>7558785
>water that you keep adding
Never. I have never had to add more water. What are you steaming that would take that long to cook? Pork shoulder?
>>
>>7556232
what the fuck am I looking at here?

you're trying to boil the steamer in water...in a frying pan

I have no idea what is going on ITT
>>
>>7556232
Steamed buns are very easy to make and taste good. Those alone make a steamer's price well worth it.
>>
bamboo steamers are porous, so they are less sanitary than stainless steel

but that porousness helps them build steam

use them on a pot, not a fry pan fool, you have to force the steam up through them; the heat rising will only do so much and if you just force hot air through them your food will dry out

bamboo steamers have flat bottoms, so you can fit many more delicate things in them like dumplings or buns

I cut a circle of greas proof paper and put large holes in it to stop things sticking to the bamboo
better to buy pre-made steamer mats if you can get them
maybe there's a trick i havn't worked out

you can also steam things over soup that's reducing, when I do chinese chicken and corn soup I steam my greens over the pot
>>
File: steamer.jpg (122 KB, 696x328) Image search: [Google]
steamer.jpg
122 KB, 696x328
>>7559199
>not a fry pan fool
They're designed expressly for use in a fry pan dingus, just not a western flat pan.
>>
>>7559246
a wok is intirly OK because it seals the water in around the bottom of the pan, but OP posted a photo of a flat bottomed pan; which wouldn't work well at all
>>
>>7559246
A wok =/= a flat pan
>>
>>7559332
He didn't say "don't use a flat pan", he said "don't use a frying pan"

A wok == a frying pan
>>
>>7556232
They're good to just lift off and bring to the table for people to serve themselves from. Especially useful for chinese pancakes for peking duck as you can remove one as you need and replace the lid so they stay warm inside
>>
>>7556232
I bought one but it ended up smellibg like varnish so I chucked it away
>>
>>7558785
The bamboo steamer gives a little aroma (not a lot but imo it does make a difference).
>>
>>7558785
Metal pots allow too much condensation in my opinion. If you're steaming vegetables or meat, it's fine, but if you're steaming breads or cakes, they get too wet.
>>
>>7561209
Either was shit and had varnish so that was good or you were just smelling the natural bamboo woody smell and you were dumb only u will know
>>
>>7559199
I always think about the less sanitary but then i remember i always let super hot steam go through it for like 5 minutes before so no bacetria would survive that
>>
>>7559934
A wok is much deeper than your average frying pan.
>>
>>7559199
>bamboo steamers are porous, so they are less sanitary than stainless steel
Nigga i challenge you to steam your hands for over 5 minutes and see if its free of bacteria
>>
>>7562460
What about mold? You can kill mold, but you can't kill the toxins it has produced during its lifespan.
>>
>>7562507
In what circumstance does mold grow on cookware? Are you one of those idiot roommates that stores food in the cooking vessel and forgets about it for a month?
>>
I use one because someone bought me one because I make a lot of Asian food from scratch and they thought I'd like it. I mean, I guess I like it as well as any other tool, and I pretended to be excited, as you do when you get an unexciting gift. Anyway, I use it because I don't see a reason to buy another steamer.
>>
>>7562516
When it's damp and porous and made of wood.
>>
File: panier-vapeur.jpg (62 KB, 550x456) Image search: [Google]
panier-vapeur.jpg
62 KB, 550x456
>>7556232
These are supposed to be ON TOP of a pan, not INSIDE. Like a cover, it catches all the steam ; and you can start with a full pot of water and don't have to add water as it boils away.

>>7562592
You dry it after use, instead of throwing it in the sink with dirty dishes until your room-mate do the dishes next week.
>>
>>7559332
2 types of wok, depends if you use gas or electric. And im not joking
>>
File: steamer.jpg (13 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
steamer.jpg
13 KB, 300x300
Why not just buy one of these. Cheap and easy to use.
>>
>>7563599
yeah I bet that works great, thinking corn and lettuce needs more heat than the meat and lettuce. replace the middle slot w/ the bottom slot and I'm sold.
>>
>>7563603
Sorry I just found a picture of one online. Obviously its not the one I have, but I uae it regulary and its so easym bung it all in for 20-25 and its ready.
>>
File: IMG_0230.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0230.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
>>7559199
I just used mine for the first time last night and i love it. Just a tiny bit of water in the pot and the broccoli is steamed very quickly.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.