[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright, I got some of these. Now what do I do with them?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: bitter-gourd-3.jpg (86 KB, 700x477) Image search: [Google]
bitter-gourd-3.jpg
86 KB, 700x477
Alright, I got some of these. Now what do I do with them?
>>
>>7554252
Throw them away tbph.
>>
>>7554254
really that bad? I thought I might just throw them in a pan with some tofu and a bunch of spices maybe.
>>
>>7554257
That's a decent thing to do with them, just brace yourself.
>>
File: 1.jpg (191 KB, 768x512) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
191 KB, 768x512
>>7554252
Slice thin. Salt them generously. Wait an hour. Wash the salt off and drain them. Season some rice flour generously with some indian spices. Bread them then fry them until brown and crispy.

Serve with something pickled or acidic.
>>
>>7554261
don't do this

gently simmer them in stock with salt to taste
>>
I like them in egg curry.

Wash them, split them, scoop out the seeds, slice them into half-rounds and set aside.
Beat a room temperature or slightly warmer egg or two with curry powder of your choice, either storebought or homemade, both are fine.
In a hot pan over high heat, caramelise sliced onion and a crushed tomato or two (also sliced chillies, if/as desired) in oil, adding a little water at a time to help that process along.
Add the sliced karavila and stir-fry with the caramelised onion and tomato a tad, then add just a bit of vegetable stock to cover.
When it comes to a simmer, beat the karavila mixture a little at a time into the egg mixture until about half has been added. This tempers the egg to help prevent scrambling.
Off the heat and add all the egg mixture to it, whipping quickly to avoid scrambling.
While whipping continuously, up the heat back to high until the eggs thicken but are still creamy then quickly turn out of the pan into a serving bowl.
Top with crushed crisp-fried shallots and smoked fish flake (Maldives fish if you can find it, but I can't where I live so I use katsuobushi which is similar in flavour, though not quite as strong; katsuobushi can be found in many Western supermarkets these days).
Serve as part of a rice plate meal, along with two or three other curries.

Don't bother salting/washing. I don't know why, but whenever I do it, it comes out more bitter than when I don't.
>>
>>7554261
that sounds nice but I don't have rice flour. Should I really wait an hour after salting them?
>>
>>7554274
The point of the salt is to draw out as much liquid as possible to reduce the bitterness, so a long wait makes sense.
>>
>>7554276
this.
Also serving with something like pickled red onions will bring out brighter flavors in them.
>>
File: 400px_wei_chicoree.jpg (12 KB, 400x259) Image search: [Google]
400px_wei_chicoree.jpg
12 KB, 400x259
>>7554271
>>7554276
well when I bought them I was warned about the bitterness. Is it worse than lets say pic related?
>>
>>7554287
I've never had those so I'm not sure, but when I tried bitter melon, if I didn't know what it was, I would have assumed they were poison from how bitter they were.
>>
>>7554252
Remove the moisture. Put some Indian spices (chilly, coriander, turmeric etc. all powdered) and let it for 1-2 hours. Fry them.
>>
>>7554290
oh boy. well thanks for the tips everyone I will prepare them with salt and let them sit for an hour. I will report back after I have eaten.
>>
>>7554287
I don't know, I've never had that, but I don't think that bitter gourd is very bitter if you prepare it certain ways. I like bitter gourd and eat it a few times each year, maybe about once every two months or so.
>>
>>7554287
They are more bitter than endive, but not by much. If you like endive, you'll like em.
>>
File: 4531003ea151d7404b4807779a332f.jpg (61 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
4531003ea151d7404b4807779a332f.jpg
61 KB, 600x450
>>7554252
Chuck them in the bin, they`re fucking gross
>>
>>7554252
Stir fry with pork and Chinese black bean sauce.
>>
ok this was pretty good. It was not as bitter as I thought it would be. Perhaps I was lucky with these.
I stir fryed them with tofu, fresh ginger cumin seeds, coreander powder, tumeric, a small tomato. and thats it tastes pretty good. I will definetley try this again. I really like the aroma.
>>
My mom usually makes soup with them. Stuff the inside with the fillings made for spring rolls and then just boil it up. They're not really eaten for the tastyness thought, more because it's good for your health.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.