[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I bought 8 porkchops that have been in my fridge that have a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: deadly.jpg (78 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
deadly.jpg
78 KB, 750x750
I bought 8 porkchops that have been in my fridge that have a sell by date of 28Mar2016. They have lost of bit of the pink tinge and are looking slightly less colored (but not yet grey or truly discolored).

Are these still good?
>>
>>7550180
yes you tard

use google next time, or better yet the smell test
>>
>>7550186
I bought them like a month ago almost tho
>>
>>7550180
smelly or slimy? toss em. and toss that shit in the freezer next time.
>>
Give 'em the smell test. If they smell fine, they're fine. If the smell off, toss 'em.
>>
What does bad pork smell like anyway
>>
>>7550190
I don't know what smell pork smells like. Also, they don't look slimy. There is no visible mold or bacteria.

Freezing meat ruins it.
>>
File: fat controller.png (234 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
fat controller.png
234 KB, 500x400
>>7550195
Get really close. Really close.
Does it smell bad? Even if you're a shut-in you know what "bad" smells like. If you have the slightest doubt, just toss it. Raw, refrigerated meat shouldn't smell like anything at all.
>Freezing meat ruins it.
pic related
>>
>>7550214
enjoy your shitty gelled meat and i'll enjoy my trichinosis
>>
>>7550223
Uh, okay.
Unless you want to have a big party and give away all your meat for free, or make 100 pounds of jerky, there's no way to use an entire moose without most of it going bad without freezing it.
>>
>>7550234
I don't have a moose dumbass, I have 8 pork loin chops
>>
>>7550195
>Freezing meat ruins it.

Only if it's not sealed properly.
>>
>>7550180
>smell test
11 days out of date
I usually just toss and don't bother smelling at that point.
>>
>>7550337
This. If you don't vacuum seal or wrap it in saran wrap they it'll be freezer burned pretty quick. I have success freezing chicken without wrapping though, I don't pat it particularly dry after rinsing so there's a layer of water which freezes to the bag and protects the meat from freezer burn, but then again my chicken doesn't stay frozen more than a month or two.
>>
>>7550195
You dont know what spoiled pork smells like, or any other way to tell its bad, but "freezing meat" will ruin it.

I got some news for you autismo, if you bought it at a grocery store, chances are its been frozen.
>>
>>7550234
What about salting and drying?
We didn't always have freezers.
>>
>>7550337
>Only if it's not sealed properly.

Sealing properly certainly takes care of the freezer burn, but it does not stop the fact that freezing meat results in ice crystals bursting the cells of the flesh. that fucks with the texture of the meat and also lets the juices run out. It's called "Drip loss". Google it.

...and while I wouldn't say that ruins the meat, it's certainly not a good thing.
>>
>>7550180

yes. i always buy reduced price meats and have never had an issue/tastes fine.

date on package is a sell by date not a consume by
>>
>>7551657
>date on package is a sell by date
Are you fucking retarded?
Or is this some uniquely ameritard thing?
What good would a fucking "sell by" date do anybody?
>>
>>7551531
why does freezing meat ruin it? i freeze all mine.
>>
>>7551660
>What good would a fucking "sell by" date do anybody?

nothing. That's why we're telling people to ignore it, and pay attention to the meat using one's senses instead.
>>
>>7551660

US

milk and meats all get marked "sell by" at the grocery

it doesn't spoil until much after that date
>>
>>7551671
>>7551664
This is retarded.
Why don't they mark it with an actual "USE by" date like normal people?
>>
>>7551673

sure it has something to do with regulations and having a reasonable time between market to tabletop before spoilage.

all i know is i am steady buying meat discounted 50-75% because its close to sell by date.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.