[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The correct way to make Stock's or Broth's.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: chicken-stock-940x560.jpg (166 KB, 940x560) Image search: [Google]
chicken-stock-940x560.jpg
166 KB, 940x560
I see a lot of recipes online that say to add all ingredients in a pot and cook for a couple of hours but at work I am told you should always roast or at least saute your ingredients to bring more flavor and a darker color. How do you make your Stock's and Broth's?
>>
Only thing you should roast are the chicken bones. Everything else should go in fresh.
If it's chicken pieces just toss it in there.
>>
For milder stocks like veggie, fish/seafood, or chicken there's no need to roast anything first. Traditionally you would wait to add your bouquet until after the raft is formed, but for small scale homemade I say fuck it.

If you want to make a dark beef,veal, pork, lamb, etc. stock, roast your bones first, and you can also rub on some tomato paste for the last 10-15 minutes of roasting.
>>
>>7550124
what does the tomato paste do?, I saw my sous chef rubbing tomato paste on some bone marrow today for a dark beef stock.
>>
>>7550178
adds flavor, tomato paste is high in glutemates, other flavor compounts, and even more when you cook it a down a little
>>
>>7550105
Doesn't pre-roasting or sauteing only improve the flavor of solid ingredients? I do it for stews, but have never done it for a stock and don't see it helping with that.
>>
I bought a carton of vegetable stock and hated it so now I make my stews without. But I also make them with almost no broth when finished.
>>
>>7550178
It's essentially home-made MSG.
>>
>>7550249
Ever eat a can of tomato paste with a spoon?
>>
>>7550124
>Traditionally you would wait to add your bouquet until after the raft is formed

no. that's consomme, you are confused
>>
>>7550273
I actually did. With homemade tomato paste my aunt makes, spread on some bread while it's still hot. Perks of third world living.
>>
>>7550396
But you can do that just as easily in developed countries?
>>
File: 1447858323883.png (274 KB, 294x442) Image search: [Google]
1447858323883.png
274 KB, 294x442
>stock's or broth's

Fuck off you idiot, your punctuation is shit
>>
>Stock's or Broth's

LDAR
>>
>>7550423
You're are post's are bad and you should don't post poor favor
>>
File: 1448043891137.jpg (31 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
1448043891137.jpg
31 KB, 680x680
>>7550430
>>
File: JuBTjf1.png (1 MB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
JuBTjf1.png
1 MB, 1000x667
>>7550445
k
>>
>>7550105
>Stock's or Broth's
Impressive.
>>
>>7550413
It actually is not that easy to make, at least in large quantities. People of developed countries are little princesses that can't deal with a tiny bit of hardship.
>>
>>7550236
>>Doesn't pre-roasting or sauteing only improve the flavor of solid ingredients?

Sure. It changes the flavor of the meat/bones/veggies, and then that flavor goes into the broth.

It's not a matter of "Better", it's simply a different flavor which you may or may not want depending on the dish.

Pretty much any classic stock exists in both a "white" and a "dark" form. White stocks are made without roasting, dark stocks are made with roasting. Different flavors for different applications.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.