[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Im roasting my first whole chicken in like 30 MINUTES. Give me
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: roastcheekun.jpg (266 KB, 1500x844) Image search: [Google]
roastcheekun.jpg
266 KB, 1500x844
Im roasting my first whole chicken in like 30 MINUTES. Give me general advice. Im gonna rub that beast with butter mixed with rosemary and thyme, then stuff it with stuffing, garlic, and celery. Then im gonna put carrots and celery under it I guess. Should I add some chicken stock to the pan first? Do I turn it every 30 minutes to brown both sides?
>>
Don't bother with chicken stock at first, get some browning on the vegetables happening. You can add some later if they're burning.

Grab the neck skin and jam your hand down there like you're trying to cop a feel. This way you can put the butter in between the skin and the breasts.

You don't have to turn it, but it helps a little. If you just roast it breast side down the whole time, then quickly brown the breast skin in a pan, you'll get slightly moister white meat.

Also /ck/ is slow as shit, next time post further in advance.
>>
you sound fine add the stock not much because it will generate plenty on its own but no on the flipping odds are you will simply make a mess and it really doesn't do anything anyway because who really eats the back of the chicken
>>
Alright. I will NOT flip the bird. I covered all its nooks, crannies, and orifices in a manner that should be considered a war crime. In other words thoroughly. Im not sure if ill do the pan browning at the end though, ill judge when it comes out. Since im not flipping it, should I put foil over it later on so it doesnt dry out too much?
>>
>>7549159

don't touch it. add some onions under the bird and some potatoes around it for a side course

lard it well and roast it uncovered for 65 minutes at 375(assuming 4lb chicken- add 8 minutes per lb after 4). If at the end of time it doesn't look browned enough, put the broiler on for 3-4 minutes or until browned.

remove the whole pan from the oven and let it rest for 15 minutes at a minimum.

NO TOUCHY.

after that you can carve and serve. eat the potatoes and maybe the onions, everything else goes in the stock pot or garbage
>>
Jesus Christ is everyone roasting birds lately or what
>>
>>7549229

>who really eats the back of the chicken

me.

the back of the chicken is a huuuuuuuuge deal to me
>>
>>7549326

Your kind of weird.
>>
>>7550861
*You're
>>
Since the chicken back keeps in contact with all the juices and seasonings during the roast, it turns into the most flavorful part of the chicken. Great for a sandwich in the day after.
>>
>>7549159

This is pretty similar to how I prepare chicken.

The only thing I'd add is that if you cook it longer at a low-ish temperature, you'll retain more juices.
>>
>>7549159
I've roasted chickens for ages and a simple salt+pepper is best or a spice rub.

Either way, don't oil the skin and don't stuff it. They've did a study and the best roast chicken is just leaving it dry and letting the skin crisp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWLt6G85zC4

The best roast chicken is simply just technique and a high quality chicken not to mention having the least work.
>>
>>7549159
Yeah you got the general idea. Just let it go in the oven, I've found that properly trussing makes a difference, allows it to cook more evenly and come out more juicy. Also, carrots, potatoes and mushrooms underneath. Fuck celery.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.