[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I thought Saffron was supposed to make food yellow. Here's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 20160406_141850.jpg (880 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160406_141850.jpg
880 KB, 3264x2448
So I thought Saffron was supposed to make food yellow.

Here's a paella I just made with it after doing the dish with Tumeric for years.

After being badgered for my use of Tumeric in Paella forever, I fail to see what the Saffron adds.

1. It adds barely any yellowness to the visual presentation, compared to tumeric.

2. The flavor, as far as I can tell, is kind of unpleasant; it reminds me of dropping flower petals in your food or something.

3. WHERE IS THE YELLOW????

Honestly, I hate to hate on such a prestigious spice, but this shit is as good as nothing.

Did I just get low quality saffron or have I been memed?
>>
I'll meme your ass hole with my tongue until you love me.

Maybe you just don't like saffron. Pretty fucking dumb to make "paella" with turmeric.
>>
cool fucking blog man
>>
Saffron is expensive as fuck so if you got cheap saffron or if it's powdered somehow, you probably got conned.
>>
>>7545850

did you use real saffron or safflower
>>
>>7545878
Why would I use real saffron? It is expensive as shit. Why would I pay a lot of money for something if I don't even think I like it!?
>>
>>7545866
>>7545878
This

Op you probably bought the cheap or powdered shit and just used that. Which really isn't actual saffron desu. Read saffron is like a 1k+ a pound.
>>
>>7545857
>pretty fucking dumb to make paella with turmeric
lol
Have you ever even been to Catalonia? Most people cooking at home use turmeric /along with saffron/ or just turmeric on its own. I don't use saffron at all because...

>>7545850
... I hate the metallic taste saffron gives things. If you don't taste it, then you haven't used enough and/or you bought safflower rather than saffron. I like safflower, but I can't fucking stand saffron. Tastes of tinfoil.

>>7545878
Exactly what I was thinking, too.
>>
>>7545890
>>7545891
To be fair, the powdered stuff does have actual saffron in it in, just in very, very small amounts. The cheapest saffron I've ever seen was $2.59 PER GRAM. Which is fine, because really a gram is all you need for a whole pot of something (remember: 1 tsp of saffron threads weighs about a gram). If you're buying 100g container of "REAL saffron" powder, and it costs around $3 or so, there's likely a half gram of saffron in there plus 99.5g of safflower.
I'm not sure how labeling laws work in the US about something like that as I've never bothered to read the ingredients list on a thing of saffron since I fucking hate the stuff and don't buy it in the first place.
>>
>>7545918
>... I hate the metallic taste saffron gives things.

Exactly. Well, I would describe it as a medicinal/iodine taste, but I think metallic is a different way to describe the same thing.

Saffron smells wonderful but the actual flavor is so horrible I don't get why people use it. It's like putting perfume in your food or something.
>>
>>7545850

To properly prepare saffron you should soak it in very hot but not boiling water for about twenty minutes before you cook with it.

Add it towards the end of cooking as heat destroys it and keep it the fuck away from air.

The taste is slightly bitter, but intensely aromatic and its flavour I think is exclusive to itself.
>>
File: ING-chicken-bouillon-cubes_sql.jpg (48 KB, 370x370) Image search: [Google]
ING-chicken-bouillon-cubes_sql.jpg
48 KB, 370x370
>>7545850
the fuck you want it yellow add a fucking bouillon cube and a bit of water.
>>
>>7545918
>Have you ever even been to Catalonia? Most people cooking at home use turmeric /along with saffron/ or just turmeric on its own.

maybe dirt poor students in Horta or franco babbies.

Anyone in my family would fuck your shit up if you didn't use saffron in paella.
>>
>>7545850
Plebs, everywhere plebs
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.