[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the easiest meal on a practical level, that allows one
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
What is the easiest meal on a practical level, that allows one to perfect the most technical techniques at the same time?

e.g. it would be so easy to make a raw salad but at the same time you could hone stuff like flavour-balancing, chopping accuracy, presentation, etc.

I ask because it feels like focusing on hard meals makes you rush through all those little elements just to get a success on the basic practical level. Also this question is about home-cooking, nothing professional.
>>
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/3437f584-b105-11e4-9331-00144feab7de.html
>>
>>7534936
>most technical techniques
I meant to write "most techniques" btw, not "most technical techniques"
>>
Curry.
>>
There are only 3 serious techniques.

>ingredient sourcing
>mise en place
>taste and adjustment

The rest is easy with an eventually skill plateau.
>>
Omelette. My mother used to put the burner on high and toss three eggs in the pan until they were dark brown. I didn't complain as a kid but when I started making my own omelettes, I could tell the difference.

So many cultures have different refined techniques for omelettes. I'd recommend looking into french and Japanese style omelettes in particular. There is some seriously impressive stuff.
>>
I was thinking something like spaghetti bolognese?

Cutting onions, taste and adjustment, and spice usage
>>
I don't know. I've been trying to find something difficult and have come up with nothing, so back to STEM shit.
>>
pretty much anything with eggs that you can do in a frying pan.
>>
>>7534936
Maybe a homemade burger, like a Big Mac? Or even better, head down to your local Micky Dee's and get one in a combo!
>>
why would you care about that?
>>
File: FVRn7.jpg (50 KB, 480x426) Image search: [Google]
FVRn7.jpg
50 KB, 480x426
>>7537396
Anyone else notice McDonolds is disgusting? The word Big Mac reminds me of all those videos on youtube of employees pissing, spitting, and putting inedible disgusting stuff in food. They son't always get caught/

Well I would say pizza from scratch is very much about making something that can always be built upon and mastered.
>>
>>7534936
>easy
>practical
>most techniques
That's a lot to ask,
and I hate to agree with anyone on /ck/,
but this >>7537305
There are no "cliff notes" or "crash course".
Salads are a good place to start, though.
Balancing the sweet with the acidic.
The dressing can be overly acidic if the ingredients in the salad are overtly sweet. Balance.
And you can dick around with your knife skills making everything shaped the same, or specifically NOT shaped the same.
>>
make a taco

meat season
sauce
chesses?
>>
roast dinner OBVIOUSLY jesus christ
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.