[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What kind of additives/preservatives make you nope out from buying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 5
File: chicken-injected-with-hormones.jpg (64 KB, 520x618) Image search: [Google]
chicken-injected-with-hormones.jpg
64 KB, 520x618
What kind of additives/preservatives make you nope out from buying a food product?
>>
cyanide
>>
faggotry

no kale for me
>>
any
>>
I avoid corn syrup, because food tastes better without it and that shit ain't healthy in the long term.
>>
green yucky stuff
not this time mom!
>>
>>7524778
HFCS and other syrup variations.
Mostly because its easy to just put in a ton of shit that it isnt supposed to be in, stuff you wouldnt think about having it.

Large sugar consumption is really bad for you, so we tell people not to drink soda and eat candy all day. Yet we ignore the fact that its in your bread, your yogurt, canned fruit, kethup/mustard, applesauce, pasta and all other types of random shit.

A lot of it is junk food, which is OK with me because ive been trying to clean up my diet anyways.

Also anything with Splenda/Sucralose is a no go. Tastes awful and is very clearly harmful to you.
>>
Red and Blue pills
>>
>>7524778
All food is the same. Water is a chemical. It tastes fine to me. If you don't like shit tier junk food, you're a Jenny McCarthy tier antivaxxer who hates science.

t. American
>>
>>7524832
>very clearly harmful

oh glad you could clear that up thanks in advance btw can you go ahead and link me to any actual proof or are you just talking out your ass about your feelings?
>>
>>7524778
dont really think about it.
but i would never buy anything from eu
>>
>>7524965
>beetus confirmed
>>
>>7524778
Msg gives me really bad headaches.
>>
>>7524778
Hydrolyzed fats
>no trans fat
yeah... right, people believe that shit holy cow. had this exchange recently while cooking chicken

>me: dont you have oil?
>anon: we got "butter" and cooking spray
>me: so you don't have oil?
>anon: oil isn't healthy for you just use the "butter" or cooking oil it has less fat

I went out and got some fucking oil, the "butter" was just some nasty looking blue bonnet margarine
>>
High amounts of salt in frozen products. Heck, preservatives in frozen products is generally a big no no, like lemon extract.

Meat soaked in salt brine. No, it do not extend product life, and it makes the meat drier.
>>
>>7524778
Straight up nope:
artificial colors
artificial flavors
artificial sweeteners
HFCS
sodium benzoate
partially hydrogenated oils
>>
MSG
>>
Red 40
>>
>>7524778
natural/artificial flavors, msg, HFCS or corn syrup, carrageenan, guar/xantham gum, any soy garbage, preservatives
>>
>>7525308
What's wrong with xanthan gum?
>>
>>7525397
I don't need extra shit in my food.
>>
>>7525009

Why? The EU food regulations are tighter than America's.

The EU doesn't allow companies to fill soda with High-fructose corn syrup like you have because of health concerns.
>>
>>7525777
>Why? The EU food regulations are tighter than America's.

Not really. They're different. Some things that are legal in the EU are banned in the US. And vice versa.

>>High-fructose corn syrup
That has nothing to do with EU regulations or laws. It's because the EU doesn't tax sugar imports the way that the US does. The only reason why HFCS is used in the USA is because it happens to be cheaper than sugar, which is highly taxed. The laws restricting and taxing sugar imports were passed in the late 1970's. During that time (and before) the US industry used sugar just like the rest of the world. It was only after those laws were passed that things switched to HFCS.
>>
Palm tree oil

It melts at 38-40°C, which is higher than normal human body temperature, so it causes extra strain on your digestive sistem.
>>
>>7526056

Why would it's melting point put strain on your GI tract? And what is that strain anyway?
>>
>>7525016
You can't get diabetes from artificial sweeteners.
>>
>>7526059
I guess his idea is that a solid fat is going to be more difficult to digest than a liquid one. That's true, but all solid foods are more "difficult" to digest than their liquid equivalents. In a healthy person it makes no difference, there is more than enough time to get all that good stuff out
>>
>>7525790
You still didn't say why you don't eat it.
>>
i don't know, arsenic?
>>
>>7526072
>That's true

It is? Source please.
>>
>>7526188

not the guy you asked for sauce but liquid digests more quickly than solid food, did you not know that?
>>
I buy only single ingredient whole plant foods.
>>
>>7524805
All refined sugars are equally detrimental. That includes agave and coconut sugar.
>>
>>7526241

>equally detrimental

not quite

overconsumption of agave nectar might fuck with your liver, whereas overconsumption of table sugar might fuck with your insulin levels
>>
>>7524778
I don't eat American food.
>>
>>7525777
lol why?
>>
>>7524778
Aspartame cause it actually gives me headaches. I'm pretty much cool with anything else including other artificial sweeteners but something in aspartame just doesn't agree with me.

Last few years I've tried to cut back on processed foods in general, but I'm not religious about it, and I don't really care if my veggies were soaked in pesticide then irradiated to keep `em fresh.
>>
>>7526324
Might wanna check if you got phenylketonuria, its the main (and only, really) thing that causes people to not take well to aspartame
>>
MSG
>>
>>7526361
Never gotten checked, but given the amount of protein I eat if I had PKU I'd probably be dead at this point.

Agree everything I've read would imply it's all in my head, which may be possible I guess though I'm not opposed to aspartame in concept or anything so can't see why. Ultimately it's not really a hard thing to avoid so I don't really worry about it.
>>
I never feed my kids food without hormones. Cheaper and legal than injections.
>>
>>7526188
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/10/01/artificial-sweeteners-raise-diabetes-risk.aspx
welp
>>
None of them.

Get over yourselves.
>>
>>7525790

>The only reason why HFCS is used in the USA is because it happens to be cheaper than sugar, which is highly taxed.

Why do we in the EU use sugar instead of HFCS then? Because we like paying extra for nothing? No, because HFCS makes people obese
>>
>>7526590
No, the USA places extremely high tariffs on imported sugar to "protect" domestic sugar production. This raises the price to the point that HFCS is cheaper.
>>
>>7526612

For fuck sake do you think I'm saying the US uses HFCS because it makes people obese? Are you that retarded?

Why do you think Europe has restrictions on HFCS?
>>
>>7526612
I dont' know about tarrifs but I think the US also sponsors corn production to a retarded extent
>>
>>7525081
I think you mean hydrogenated.
Hydrolyzed is breaking molecules apart in a chemical reaction with water.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrolysis
Hydrogenation is what makes trans fats
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogenation
I avoid hydrogenated fats too.
>>
I don't eat soy because I read a study that said it might be estrogenic. why is there so much shit about corn being bad for you but nothing about soy? I bet big soy is behind most of the anti-corn propoganda.
>>
>>7527386
Corn isn't bad for you, and neither is soy. There is no anti-corn propaganda.
>>
>>7527386
Asians are almost people anon. Soy in larger doses are bad for you. Eh
>>
>>7527386
Then you should avoid meat since ut contains actual estrogen.

It wouldn't hurt to avoid all soy since it's most often found in processed foods, but a serving of whole soy foods, such as edameme or tempeh, can be beneficial. Phytoestrogens don't act like estrogen. I eat flax specifically for a class of phytoestrogens called lignans. They're good for the prostate.
>>
>>7527465
It's worth worrying about the Roundup sprayed on them. It's not so nad in isolation, but it's not applied on its own. It's mixed with solvents and surfactants that make it behave differently than in the lab tests used to support cclaims of safety.
>>
>>7525017
you know ranch dressing usually has a decent amount of it?
>>
File: anonymous-550.png (99 KB, 550x287) Image search: [Google]
anonymous-550.png
99 KB, 550x287
>>7524778
We are Anonymous.

Go to farmers markets. You purchase freshly slaughtered free range chicken or a living one and "take care of the rest" yourself.
>>
>>7528264
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/science-sushi/httpblogsscientificamericancomscience-sushi20110718mythbusting-101-organic-farming-conventional-agriculture/
you're retarded if you think organic farming is any better for pesticides.
>>
>>7528682

upvoted
>>
File: image.jpg (378 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
378 KB, 1600x1067
>HFCS
>Other Syrups
>fake maple syrup
>Transfat
>meat with hormones

After cutting out junk and fast food from my diet it's gotten a lot easier to avoid these things. I might start baking my own bread too.
>>
>>7528682
That's why I prefer Newman's own
>>
>>7524778
any type of artificial sweetener, mononatrium glutamate, gluten, any kind of preservative

I try to live pretty natural and by only leaving out these 3 things, 60% of all foods are erased from your plan.
>>
>>7524965
It's funny to read people who are so much in denial about their addictions and habits regarding food. You know, some artificial sweeteners that are used in foods were actually discovered as a bi-product or derivative of biological weapons. There are tons of studies about artificial sweeteners leaving their residues in the human body permanently, especially in the brain. This means that these substances actually manage to break through the blood/brain barrier and remain all in one specific place in your brain. I'm no doctor, but I can't imagine this to be a good thing.
>>
>>7524778
Silicon Dioxide - literally non-food filler
Sucralose (tastes like shit)
Generally, aspartame. (doesn't taste as bad as sucralose but still shitty)
Often, pectin, guar gum or other thickeners intended to add substance where there is none. Fucking pectin in iced tea? Why?
HFCS is a warning sign but not necessarily determinative
MSG generally - gives me headaches.

All of these tend to be signs that a product is actually just shit and not worth the money.

There are others if I see them but these are the first that come to mind.
>>
>>7529710
Chemophobia: the post
Enjoy your DHMO exposure
>>
>>7528853
Do it. It's time consuming making enough for a whole week every Sunday but I don't think I can go back.
>>
>>7529708
>There are tons of studies

Link three
>>
>>7529736
I'm not Hannah, but some of these may be relevant:

http://pastebin.com/uYgsgFAL

That's the best I can do from my phone. Most of those will be on NCBI if you put them in a search engine.
>>
>>7529710
>Fucking pectin in iced tea
Allows lower quality iced tea to not become too bitter, or it helps a part of the filtration process.
I agree its pointless.
>>
File: JIFmemebutter.gif (658 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
JIFmemebutter.gif
658 KB, 500x500
Any hydrogenated/partially hydrogenated oils. Although I just had a fat slice of Jif peanut butter toast.
>>
MSG
>>
>>7530402
Fully hydrogenated oils contain no trans fat.
>>
Yeast extract

Not for health reasons, though. I know it's a natural source of MSG with which I'm fine. The problem I have with it is that it leaves an aftertaste in your mouth that won't go away for a good 24 hours. I've had that happen to me so often that I now check the ingredients of most snack food for it.
>>
I don't eat anything with the term organic cause Fuck that scam, and limit my hfcs since I can't stop drinking soda once in a while.
>>
>>7529729
>baking bread for a whole week on sunday
gross, what the fuck
>>
>>7525017
No it doesn't. China food sickness is a myth without any basis.
>>
>>7526056
how can a solid be an oil?
>>
>>7531227

how can metal be a liquid?
>>
>>7528682

upvoted
>>
>>7531227

Oils have melting points just like, say, water does. Most of them are fairly low so we think of them as liquids, but some cooking oils have melting points close to or even above room temperature.
>>
>>7531233
how can gas be a liquid?

>>7531236
I see
>>
>>7531236
>Oils have melting points just like, say, water does
What's the melting point of water?
>>
>>7531244
Just increase the pressure
>>
>>7531249

Same as it's freezing point: 0 C.
>>
>>7531249
lol
>>
File: 40_oras.jpg (37 KB, 600x520) Image search: [Google]
40_oras.jpg
37 KB, 600x520
>>7531259
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.