[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am running out of fucking ideas for what to do with plantains/make
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5
File: fried-plantains4.jpg (911 KB, 3456x2304) Image search: [Google]
fried-plantains4.jpg
911 KB, 3456x2304
I am running out of fucking ideas for what to do with plantains/make them more interesting or tasty. Any good plantain recipes/ideas?
>>
>>7516895
Stop making them.
>>
Caramelize them in butter and sugar adding some cream. Put on vanilla icecream and jizz yourself.

You can also dehydrate them and use them as chips for black bean dip. Less jizz but still tasty.
>>
>>7516905
There's the Gordon Ramsay recipe for pancakes and banana caramel. I imagine if you can do it with banoonoos then you can do it with plantains.
>>
(1) look up a recipe for mofongo. It's incredibly easy to make. Especially good with shrimp. Only thing is it's easiest to make with a mortar and pestle, a bit more difficult if you don't have one, but you can improvise.

(2) fry chunks of overly ripe plantain like you're making platano maduro ("sweet plantains"), until they're just shy of done. Then simmer in a sauce made of something like one part teriyaki sauce, two parts brown sugar, and four parts water for approximately 10 minutes. Sprinkle some finely chopped fresh cilantro on top. Fucking delicious. Website with a recipe:
http://hungryfoodlove.com/2013/03/04/teriyaki-glazed-sweet-plantains/
>>
>>7516999
Sorry, left out a step for the second recipe. After they've simmered in the sauce for about 10 minutes, turn the chunks to coat them in the reduced sauce and cook for another few minutes. Then add the cilantro and enjoy.

Also, czech'm
>>
learn how to make salty plantains, there the bomb in the country im at.

There based on green plantains tho
>>
Toss them in ground chilies?
>>
File: 2016-03-26 12.55.43.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-26 12.55.43.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
Wow, what a timely thread.

I fucked around and made a plantain crust pizza a few days ago, pic related. I cut a large, semi-ripe plantain into two pieces with the peel on, boiled them until they were soft, then peeled and mashed them with salt, garlic, and oregano. I also added some cornmeal to give it some more structure. I put it on the bottom of a greased cast iron skillet and baked it for several minutes to stiffen it up a bit before adding the toppings. I used store bought sauce and freshly grated mozzarella. Back into the oven it went for a few more minutes, and when everything was all melty I topped it with some oregano.

Verdict: the plantains tasted sweeter than their ripeness would have indicated, so it was kind of a strange clash of flavors. I thought a low amount of sweetness might have been interesting, but I think I'll try this with green plantains next time. This also got pretty moist -- I blame the sauce I used, so I suggest using a thick sauce or not much of it. The plantain stayed very soft so this is definitely a fork-and-knife kind of pizza.
>>
File: 2016-01-13 20.59.50.jpg (2 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-13 20.59.50.jpg
2 MB, 2448x2448
I also highly suggest making rellenitos de platano.

This is a dessert so you'll want the plantains as brown as you're comfortable with. Boil plantains in the same fashion I did with the pizza. Mash them as well, but don't add anything extra to the "dough". Take a generous amount of the dough in your hand and flatten it out. Add a spoonful of mashed black beans that have had sugar and optionally cinnamon and chocolate added to them. Don't add too much! Roll up your dough so that the bean filling is completely enclosed. I should warn you that this gets very messy. Keep doing this until you run out of dough. Optionally roll your rellenitos in some flour or cornmeal. Shallow fry them in oil on both sides, and then serve with powdered sugar on top.
>>
>>7517587
Forgot to mention, the beans would do well with some salt added too. Another example of the "salted caramel effect".
>>
>>7516895
Seriously, if you're fed up with plantains just buy something else to eat.
>>
File: turon.jpg (128 KB, 696x600) Image search: [Google]
turon.jpg
128 KB, 696x600
Make banana egg rolls. It's pretty good but only if you're willing to do the work.

Turon (Filipino desert):
1. Get lumpia wrappers (Asian store) or spring roll wrappers (Asian store) and place them onto the counter like a diamond.
2. Cut plantains in half and cut it in half again. Put two plantains in the middle horizontally.
3. Add sugar to plantain by rubbing it in.
4. Add jackfruit if you like it. (Jackfruit comes in a glass jar. You can find it in the Asian store or if you want to be brave and open one you can buy the big ass jackfruits at the Asian store too. By the way, it smells. I strongly recommend buying the jar instead)
5. Wrap. Start by grabbing the bottom corner inwards covering the plantain.
6. Then grab the sides inwards.
7. Roll that bitch upwards.
8. Using your fingers, seal the wrapper by dabbing the topmost corner with water.
9. Fry it until it looks like the picture. Crispy. Golden-brown.

It's pretty damn good.

To add more sweetness: When it's hot out of the fryer, sprinkle a dash of sugar onto the rolls. The sugar will melt onto it like a glaze. Or you can use something like blue agave nectar and apply the glaze like a toaster strudel. Whichever you prefer.
>>
http://www.mycolombianrecipes.com/?s=plantain

this site has some pretty dankke plantain recipes, take a look
>>
File: cevichetostones.jpg (138 KB, 614x408) Image search: [Google]
cevichetostones.jpg
138 KB, 614x408
make tostones into cups and fill it with something like shrimp ceviche or pork
>>
>>7517575
>eating poop
>>
Wrap em in bacon
Fry
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.