[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So why do black people eat chicken with waffles?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7
File: chicken and waffles.jpg (183 KB, 990x660) Image search: [Google]
chicken and waffles.jpg
183 KB, 990x660
So why do black people eat chicken with waffles?
>>
I assume for the same reason other people do
>>
it tastes good
>>
More mayo white boi?
;^)
>>
Chicken and waffles came from Harlem originally -- at least that's the story I've heard. But where I live, everyone loves it.
>>
>>7508823
It's a southern thing I think. Post Civil War reconstruction era. Though apparently Thomas Jefferson was one of the first people recorded eating it, after returning from the low country with a waffle iron.
>>
>>7508775
>>7508829
As a Dutchman I don't understand the appeal. I like fried chicken, I like waffles but I'd never even think of putting them together. Chicken is crunchy and savory while waffles are soft and sweet. Why combine the two?
>>
>>7508844
>I'd never even think of combining sweet and savory
Why are you here?
>>
>>7508823

It's actually Amish iirc, but they eat it with gravy instead of syrup. Thatt's how folk in Baltimore eat it too.
>>
>American "cuisine"
>>
>>7508997
As a European myself, I have to admit Tex Mex and Cajun cooking is pretty good. On the other hand, what the fuck does non-Mediterranean Europe even have to offer?

>M-Muh fish and chips (seriously? Adding fried fish to French(!) Fries is an innovation?)
>M-Muh meatballs
>M-Muh mashed vegetables

Non-Mediterranean Europe and non-Cajun/Texan America are about on par I'd say, meaning they're both culinary wastelands.
>>
the fried chicken is probably leftovers from dinner.
>>
>>7509013
>French(!) Fries

Do you mean to imply that french fries are, in point of fact, French?
>>
>>7509029
Yes I do. What, do you actually believe that stale myth that they're Belgian? An unsourced myth that not only requires the Belgian population of the time to be richer than they were, but actually have access to the potato before it was introduced in the region?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_fries#Belgium

The earliest reliable written references all point to France.
>>
>>7509044
>wikipedia

No thanks, Frog.
>>
>>7509050
Very well, which country of origin do you propose on what basis with what credible citation backing it up?
>>
File: Baked_stargazy_pie.jpg (188 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Baked_stargazy_pie.jpg
188 KB, 500x375
>>7508997
>European "cuisine"
>>
>>7509065
>His dedicated shitposting thread got deleted

And now you're banned.
>>
>>7508875
there are two kinds of chicken and waffles m8, one for blacks and one for pennsylvania dutch
>>
>went to Firefly restaurant in Panama City beach Florida a couple years ago
>had chicken and waffles
>was fucking delicious
>never had it again

It was a suit and evening dress type of place. But we were with a wedding party so we showed up in beach garb. Shit was hilarious.
>>
Chicken with hot sauce and waffles with blueberry jam with a nice tall glass of milk.

It's tasty as fuck.
>>
File: chicken-and-waffles[1].jpg (95 KB, 700x552) Image search: [Google]
chicken-and-waffles[1].jpg
95 KB, 700x552
>>7509164

well the black folk in Baltimore eat it pretty similarly to how the Pennsylvania Dutch do, they just don't shred the chicken it first.
>>
>>7508844
kanker lekker
>>
File: 1414414862115.png (1 MB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
1414414862115.png
1 MB, 1024x683
>>7508844
You are not the first Dutchman I have talked to who doesn't understand mixing sweet and savory. Do you people not have that over there? Maple syrup goes very well with fried chicken
>>
>>7508997
nigga this is dutch cuisine.
>>
>>7508776
>>7508779
/thread
Like I'm white and I fucking love that shit with some fresh peas
>>
>>7508844
Idk but the local place here that makes fried chicken and waffles makes the waffles savory, the only sweet aspects of the dish are the sauce you get with it which is sweet and spicy and the chicken breading has a hint of sweetness in it

Straight banging meal, the chicken is boneless too which makes getting the perfect bite super easy
Fuck, now I think I'm gonna have to go there for lunch tomorrow
>>
>>7508875
Nobody in Baltimore actually eats chicken and waffles.
>>
>>7508775
What does /ck/ put on the chicken? Syrup, honey mustard, other, or nothing?
>>
>>7509916
false
>>
File: Fuckin cat food in jelly.jpg (234 KB, 600x496) Image search: [Google]
Fuckin cat food in jelly.jpg
234 KB, 600x496
>>7508997
>European """"""""""cuisine""""""""""
>>
>>7509996
Yeah, sure. What part of the city do you live in?
>>
>>7510022
Edmondson Village

pls no bully
>>
>>7510042
Somebody from EV or EA on 4chan. Guess it is a small world after all. But my statement still stands.
>>
>>7509916

I've seen it on the menu of every breakfast place I've been to in Baltimore, which is admittedly only 3 places, but that's still more than I've seen in any other east coast city.
>>
>>7510172
Kind of want to know more about you. Sane people don't live in the village.
>>
>>7510238

I'm a different guy, I'm from Norfolk. I just have friends in Baltimore that I visit on occasion.
>>
>>7510269
Hmm. How much heroin do you snort?
>>
>>7510284

None at all
>>
>>7510310
Good to know.
>>
File: exasperation.anger.jpg (33 KB, 448x252) Image search: [Google]
exasperation.anger.jpg
33 KB, 448x252
>>7508775
Because it is shockingly delicious. The salty seasoning from the chicken, the sweetness of the syrup, the texture of the chicken protein with the crunchy malty waffle.

I am no fan of black people but there are moments when I thank goodness we had them as slaves.
>>
I recently tried chicken and waffles for the first time (with a side of cheesy bacon grits) holy fuck its amazing. The mix of heavy flavors works wonderfully, however I just want to fall asleep on my couch after...
>>
>>7509906
That is fucking, incredibly incorrect. Boneless? Fuck off with that shit.
>>
Spam and jelly sandwich > chicken and waffles
>>
>>7509058
What I read/heard in the French Fries Museum in Belgium.
French Fries are Belgian you cheeky cunt.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.