[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is umami real or is it just made-up anime bullshit?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 8
File: 1429549276445.jpg (128 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1429549276445.jpg
128 KB, 1280x720
Is umami real or is it just made-up anime bullshit?
>>
>>7503582
umami is just the japanese memeword for savory. a bunch of retards and weebs seem to think america doesn't have a word for it.
>>
>>7503586
>>7503582
Is guy fieri a weeaboo because he says it a lot
>>
File: msg.jpg (164 KB, 620x396) Image search: [Google]
msg.jpg
164 KB, 620x396
It's real, and it's delicious. Pic related, use it when I'm too lazy to add umami in other ways.
>>
Its real, some foods are naturally high in it.
Anchovies
Avocados
Tomatoes
Parmasean cheese
mushrooms
>>
Its not real. That idiot alton mentions it a lot but you never hear ramsay say it once.
>>
>>7503586
It's the word for the taste that 'savory' is sometimes used to refer to, but that doesn't make it the same word. You wouldn't describe the taste of tomatoes as savory.
>>
>>7503586
This

umami is just savory. we need to stop this hipster weeb meme
>>
>>7503897
it's literally real, chemically real

ramsay isn't one of those types of chefs so he would never say shit like umami or deconstructed or molecular gastronomy
>>
>Got Korean gf
>Just love to swallow me
>Description is I taste umami

I m cool with that..
>>
>>7503904
"Tomatoes" doesn't say a thing either. It would depend on the kind of tomato, it's state (how ripped, etc.), if it's cooked or not, what ooking method was applied to them, and a whole lot of other variables.

Umami means savory. That's it, and that is all.
>>
>>7503914
ask her what other foods she think is taste umami

now you know what semen tastes like
>>
>>7503904

I would call sun dried tomatoes savory
>>
>>7503586
>>7503905
third this. i used to call savoury food "meaty" when I was younger but....phrasing.
>>
>>7503582
Umami is glutemate richness. Like sweetness is sugar richness, Salt is sodium richness, etc.

(guess I'll put this clarification here that there are many analogues like stevia for sweetness, or potassium chloride for salty, but you catch my drift)
>>
>>7503924
He could just taste it himself if he wanted to know you fucking idiot.
>>
>>7504053
>but....phrasing.
Are we still doing "phrasing"?
>>
>>7503915
My tomatoes have rippling biceps and bulging pecs but they need to work on their legs a bit.
>>
>>7503582

it's real, we have neurons for it
>>
>>7504259
neutrons you dunce
>>
>>7503863
Enjoy an early death if your actually consuming that. MSG is a chemical that fakes the flavour and satisfaction of actual good food and leaves you with no feeling of being full so you just keep eating until you are sick.
>>
>>7504242
"we" never did it.
>>
>>7504223

Not everyone is gay / disgusting.
>>
>>7503582
The nips have invented a new word for savoury then?
Sage because OP is a meme loving faggot.
>>
>>7504053
This.
>>
Umami is the taste of glutamats.
It's been proved there are not 5 tastes but we have different taste receptors for each type of taste.
In the japanese culture glutamat is considered very savory.
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umami
So no, it is not a meme.
>>
>>7504543
>It's been proved
Oh, yeah, I remember reading that scientific journal too.
>>
>>7503586
>>7503905
Savory is not directly related to Umami and, more to the point, Savory has never been considered a basic taste like Umami.

If you want people to say savory instead of umami, go back to the 1950s and scientifically prove to the world that it is a basic taste.
>>
Literally a sub-category of savory, supposedly "untranslatable" but translated into pretty much "yummy!". Only utter retards use it, it's the Segway of cooking lingo.
>>
Next you will tell us that sensu beans aren't real pfffff
>>
>>7503582
It just means salty you hipster weeb. Why do libtards want me to use foreign words? This is even worse than cross dressers being allowed to use the wrong bathroom to sexually assault our innocent children. If liberals had their way we'd all be apologizing to Stalin right now.
>>
>>7503586
>Other languages are memes.
You have seriously got to die.
>>
its literally the taste of proteins.
>>
>>7504290
I agree that it is used as a shortcut to make bad food taste good, but I doubt it's harmful.
>>
>>7504566
>>scientifically prove its a basic taste
that's like saying we proved that Neptune exists, so japan can't use kaiousei to name it in its own language. fuck off.
>>
>>7503893

aka. meme food. lol
>>
>>7504630
what the fuck are you blathering about reddit

you're basically implying that if a japanese scientist discovered neptune, it should be considered the same thing as jupiter because we don't have a word for it in english

literally woman logic
>>
>>7504630
It's more like saying America thinks there might be a Planet X somewhere given gravitational readings, but it's probably only a small planetoid
And then Japan proves the existence of an actual legit but unrelated planet that they've had in their astrology for centuries but America gets butthurt because foreign words are scary.
>>
>>7504543

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepe_the_Frog

Umami is a meme in that shitty chefs call savory food "umami" to (attempt to) appeal to sophisticated east cultural cooking, when it's really just Japanese pleb tier shit.
>>
>>7504668
no its not like that at all.
the two words refer to the same conceptual property. it means the same thing for something to be savory and for something to be umami, even if the reference is fixed in different languages.
therefore any scientific theory about "umami" is also a scientific theory about "savory".
>>7504657
please go back to /lgbt/
>>
>>7504680
>the two words refer to the same conceptual property

Incorrect. Savory has never, ever been a basic taste. It was always a secondary or tertiary flavor and it never even occurred to The West to even look for glutamate receptors.
>>
>>7504686
that umami/savory is a basic taste is merely a contingent fact that japanese people happened to discover earlier, doesnt change anything about the meaning. since umami and savory are synonymous and umami is a basic taste, so is savory, this doesnt depend on what some scientist found out at some point in history, much less on whether they were japanese or "western"
>>
Umami refers to the flavors melding together to become better and deeper, like after a relish sits overnight, or a soup cooks a long time.
>>
The distinct flavour of MSG is a known, and in no way new factor. However, its marketing as "umami" is artificial. It has been known by most cultures throughout the times, but has gone without exact attention and distinction as a flavour independent of savoury or salty. In the end, I think using the term umami is acceptable, since it denotes a certain quality that differs of others, even if with some difficulty.

The earliest naturally occurring and documented presences of it are in foods produced by the ancient Romans, such as garum - a fermented fish sauce with high proportions of MSG, that Lucius Annaeus Seneca, a historian, philosopher, embezzler and shameless meddler with state affairs wrote in his epistles that it caused stomach problems and headache.

Another item is the precedent of pecorino cheese that formed a recorded portion of every legionnaire's diet - 30 grams of it every day - that also had, and still has, a high MSG quotient. It is apparent in the flavour and aroma just as well - you can easily identify that hint of crusted old tennis shoe in it distinct of merely "salty".
>>
>>7504696
this isn't true lol
>>
Forget umami. Kokumi's the new hotness.
>>
>>7504508
>Tasting your own cum is gay
What?
>Tasting your own cum is disgusting
Then why do you let women taste it you dildo?
>>
>>7504584
Shitposting is against the rules.
>>
>>7503915
No, literally translated 旨味 just means 'good flavor'.
>>
File: 1418038133522.jpg (77 KB, 600x404) Image search: [Google]
1418038133522.jpg
77 KB, 600x404
>>7504290
>he bought into the MSG is bad meme

WEW LAD

it's no different than salt. I bet if you started calling salt by it's nasty, bad, evil chemical name sodium chloride people would be up in arms about it fucking lol
>>
>>7504566

you mong, the basics of French cooking are in isolating savory flavors out of meat and bone stocks and concentrating them, this shit has been documented for literally hundreds of years. Taillevent was writing about this in the 1300s, you are ignorant as fuck about cooking. Hell, the Romans were making concentrated savory sauces 2000 years ago for exactly this purpose

now go play with your katanafedora, weeb
>>
>>7504686

you are dead wrong about this, do a little reading FFS.

>i hate you
>>
>>7504876
we should start calling MSG 'Japanese Salt', that would make it sound much cooler to science illiterate liberals
>>
>>7504710
>but has gone without exact attention and distinction as a flavour independent of savoury or salty.

it absolutely has not. it's been a fundamental, well documented, EXPLICIT part of Western cooking for hundreds of years
>>
>>7504929

or you could call it Accent, Sazon, or Ajinimoto like the millions of people that use those products every day if you weren't a feeble otaku
>>
>>7504929
where does liberals come into it? It's just any retard who's science illiterate.
>>
>>7504943
>Ajinimoto

Why would I use a company name to refer to only one of their many products?
>>
>>7504944
Usually the chemicals are scary people are women with no college degree or one in something like English.These people are overwhelmingly liberal. Surely not entirely so, but there is a clear trend. Same people who are more likely to be influence by a celebrity than an educated person and think GMO foods or vaccines are bad
>>
>>7504290
STFU HIPSTER SCUM
>>
>>7504934
More like thousands.
>>
>>7504949
Boy I love it when people like to pretend the people they disagree with for being stupid also happen to overwhelmingly hold whatever political position they disagree with.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXnKmOzT77w
>>
Umami is literally the flavor that sends a signal to our brain that tells it that our body is consuming protein. It's not a meme.
>>
>>7504824
I don't speak gook I speak murrican
>>
>>7504948
That's how it's known in latinamerica, although msg is not used in southerncone cousine.
>>
>>7504250
>Letting your tomatoes skip leg day
baka
>>
>>7505359

protein is literally a meme
>>
>>7504824
>Being anal about moon runes
LOW ENERGY
>>
>>7504652
avocado and cheese is delicious.
your clearly a fat faggot.
>>
>>7504824
the word changes depending how you write it
generally うま味 is savory, 旨味 is good taste
Ikeda named it うま味 himself
>>
File: 1446613142622.jpg (71 KB, 640x1092) Image search: [Google]
1446613142622.jpg
71 KB, 640x1092
>>7504949
>>7504944
im a liberal and scientifically literate, taking chemistry and physics classes as we speak, wat do.

But i agree, i hate it when people flip out after hearing some celebrity talk about something that they themselves only read in some cosmopolitan bullshit.
>>
you could just google it and find out that it's glutamate
>>
File: IMG_20160326_120344.jpg (63 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160326_120344.jpg
63 KB, 700x700
>>7503915
>>7504250
>>
>>7503582
>umami
i say its bs like zen and shit. umami just means tasty. tasty isnt a flavor
>>
>>7504652
Well, the reason that it is meme food in the first place is that it is wildly popular because it is really good.
>>
>>7504561
You do not read scientific journals, asshole.
>>
>>7504625
i disagree. I thinkg msg elevates flavors. So you need to actually have good flavors present first.
>>
>>7503582
>>7503586
>>7503897
>>7503905
How is it physically possible to be this stupid and/or edgy?

It's one of the simplest tastes to identify, separate for and test for. It's existed and been known about for literally millenia. The compounding levels of stupidity and ignorance that would require you to state that it's fake or some Japanese thing is on par with thinking we didn't land on the moon.

I'll never understood what state of mind is required to purposefully seek this level of ignorance. I've tried, I just don't get it.
>>
>>7508796
Well it's common knowledge that the americans faked the moon landing so your retarded for thinking its real lol
>>
File: b812.jpg (112 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
b812.jpg
112 KB, 1024x1024
>>7508825
burgers btfo lmao xD
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.