[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why shouldn't I just use a piece of cloth instead of throwaway
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6
File: coffee.jpg (330 KB, 1920x1281) Image search: [Google]
coffee.jpg
330 KB, 1920x1281
Why shouldn't I just use a piece of cloth instead of throwaway paper coffee filters?
>>
try it and find out why
>>
Would need to be a very fine mesh that's not chemically treated or bleached. It would be hell to clean and reuse though, so good luck. You're better off using a French or Aero press.
>>
some people do and you can even buy premade ones made of different materials like hemp or flax

idk how different it is but i would imagine it might absorb more of the coffee solids and oils, those premade filters are very very thin
>>
Is it possible to replace the flat-bottomed plastic filter on my drip machine with a paper filter? I want some damn oils in my coffee
>>
MUH OILS
>>
>>7499105
>Would need to be a very fine mesh that's not chemically treated or bleached

But the filter paper is chemically treated and bleached.
>>
File: Braun UGSF4.jpg (34 KB, 500x482) Image search: [Google]
Braun UGSF4.jpg
34 KB, 500x482
$6 on Amz
>>
>>7499151
those are for specific brands and models. They don't fit others
>>
I use a Hario Woodneck when I make brewed coffee and it uses a flannel cloth filter.

Love it. Makes way better coffee than my v60, Wave, Chemex, Clever, Aeropress, or Kyuemon. Only thing I prefer to it is espresso. But you do have to take care of the cloth, you can just throw out paper.
>>
>>7499105
So a standard cheesecloth, then?
>>
The problem with cloth is the bad smell it gets with time. I just trowed out my cloth after one week because it got a green permanent color and the smell of roten vegetables, definitively it had some microbial activity going on.

>inb4 just clean it
Try for yourself, I even used boiling water every time and still got fucked up.

Also try turkey coffee, no filter required.
>>
>>7499371
You have to keep it in a sealed jar of water in the refrigerator.
>>
>>7499096
You should. Cheaper, and better tasting coffee. Grounds are still strained, but more oils pass through. Biggest problems with paper are having to pre-rinse some of them if they were bleached, slight cost increase for coffee over time. Biggest issue with cloth are are you have to dump and rinse them out, making your brewing process take 1 minute longer. It's a personal decision.

http://www.remodelista.com/posts/accessories-cloth-coffee-filters/
>>
>>7499096
Why not use an old cotton sock while you're at it, do it and find out.
>>
>>7499371
>Also try turkey coffee, no filter required.

>Go to Turkey, expect to see hairy knuckled unibrows drinking turkish coffee left and right out of little thimble size coffee cups, everyone drinking tea instead, anon disappoint.
>>
>>7499096
I hear a dirty diaper makes for the best filter.
>>
>>7500254

You're better off going to Morocco or Egypt for that kinda stuff.
>>
yall may not remember this at all, but i went again to the "best coffee store" in my city, to try again the espresso and see if i buy some beans from the guy.

it was acidic again, of course it wasnt as shocking as the first time, maybe its pretty good with milk and lots of sugar?
>>
is this the fucking coffee general or what?
>>
>>7499132
>bleached paper

no no
>>
>>7500670
I remember. Are you sure you're not making it too hot or something? Maybe it's just bad coffee.
>>
>>7499340
Sounds like you like high concentration. You could do high concentration brews on any of those. Woodneck maybe leans in that direction because of how small it is, and the recommended recipes you'll find.
>>
>>7500117
>ut more oils pass through
What is the deal with this meme about coffee oils being desirable? The oils are found in very small amounts, and taste awful.

http://www.jimseven.com/2007/03/15/espresso-meets-a-centrifuge/
>>
>>7500670
The espresso was acidic?

This sounds like there could be a few things contributing:

>your taste preference
Guess what, all coffee is acidic. Acids contribute a lot of the nice flavor of coffee. If you are expecting something that has 0 acidity you should be looking for some dark ass stuff that is burnt to a crisp.

>Under extracted coffee is OVERLY acidic
This is a very likely option as well. There is a good chance they are preparing underextracted espresso at least some of the time, if not most. Traditional spro grinders suck, and they are likely too be rolling with a Robur. So it is only partly their fault. Also, long shots that allow you to get a higher and more balanced extraction tend to get lost in milky drinks, which should be the focus of any coffee joint as they sell primarily milky drinks when it comes to espresso based bevies.

>underdeveloped roast
Could be bad batches you're getting, though this shouldn't be happening often (and shouldn't be getting past QC).

>Water
Good chance the water is fucked up, and is too low in GH and or KH.

>coffee choice isn't suited to spro
You can do all of the above right, and still end up with something that is overly acidic as espresso because the coffee just isn't well suited to such a high concentration. I have a Burundi right now that is really nice as a drip, and pretty tasty as an espresso, but has an acidity that becomes too intense for espresso for most people.
>>
>>7502719
>http://www.jimseven.com/2007/03/15/espresso-meets-a-centrifuge/
>A little oil in a mouthful is good and brings body and mouthfeel but too much and it is all nasty.

Whoa hold the presses. You're telling me way too much of a flavor is disgusting??? Guess i better stop drinking vanilla extract because i like vanilla
>>
>>7502744
It's a matter of the oil containing primarily undesirable flavors. Sorry that you missed that. Perhaps it contributes to thicker mouthfeel, but not to desirable flavor.

The things that taste good in coffee are dissolved solids. There's a good reason that refractometers do not measure oils at all, and that Ext% (derived from the measurements that refractometers give) is VERY strongly correlated to flavor.
>>
>>7502218
>>7502735

ty m8. bought it anyways, never had fresh, just grounded coffee at my disposal and its a whole different world. done in my moka it tastes pretty good. with milk and sugar is awesome.

any tips to store this grounded coffee so it doesnt degenerates into something else??
>>
i dunno why shouldn't you just drink coffee instead of buying highly caffeinated RTD drinks stacked with other kinds of stimulants as well?

doesn't work quite as well is the answer you're lookin for
>>
>>7502759
It doesnt say that though. Eat a teaspoon of any essential oil and you will see what i mean.

TDS is just a way to measure what's in the cup. It has nothing to do with "Cause tds is where the taste is"
>>
I noticed that adding water past the safety valve in a moka pot does nothing bad.

Anyone else?
>>
>>7502829
It's not supposed to. The valve is there to open up and relieve pressure if some sort of blockage puts it on the verge of explosion, not to act as a fill marker.
>>
>>7502803

nevermind, had an empty the gilded coffee bag, so i put it there, its somethng
>>
>>7502824
>TDS is just a way to measure what's in the cup.
True.

>It has nothing to do with "Cause tds is where the taste is"
False. It can't tell you that the coffee tastes bad or good, but there is a very strong correlation between the two. For instance, if the EXT% is over 26%, there is a VERY good chance it will taste over extracted. If it is below 15% there is a very good chance that it is under extracted.

Also, I wouldn't recommend that anyone eat a teaspoon of any essential oil, as that is enough for some of them to kill you (mint for example can cause your shit to get so irritated and swollen that you can't breath). An interesting analogy, but I reckon that the essential oils taste like the flavor of the thing they are derived from (so mint essential oil would taste like mint). Which really doesn't work to make the point you wanted to. The oil in coffee tastes gross.
>>
>>7499266
some of them are generic enough so they fit numerous pots actually. e.g., you can buy a coffee pot that takes a specific size metal filter.

And it is def the way to go over paper filters and cheesecloth.

The smart thing would be to buy a coffee pot you know will take a metal filter.
>>
File: DSC_0217.jpg (113 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0217.jpg
113 KB, 600x400
>>7502852
I just dont think that extracting only oil from something and tasting it justifies it's role in the overall flavor of something much more complex.

Another analogy would be to eat the oil packet in a ramen. Or a more solid one is this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skatole
" It occurs naturally in (mammal) feces and coal tar and has a strong fecal odor. In low concentrations, it has a flowery smell and is found in several flowers and essential oils, including those of orange blossoms, jasmine, and Ziziphus mauritiana. It is used as a fragrance and fixative in many perfumes and as an aroma compound."

>>7502829
pic related
>>
>>7502881
That's what happens when there is no safety valve.
>>
>>7502881
>I just dont think that extracting only oil from something and tasting it justifies it's role in the overall flavor of something much more complex.

You're right. I was being too concrete in my conclusion. I am open to the possibility that the oils may contribute something good in the complex scheme of things. I still would argue that their role is most likely minor, and has a good chance of being detrimental. Filtering espresso and skimming the crema have both been used to enhance the flavor, and both remove undissolved solids as well as some amount of the oils.
>>
File: coffee.png (187 KB, 697x833) Image search: [Google]
coffee.png
187 KB, 697x833
>>7502994
It would seem we are both right.
http://poplab.stanford.edu/pdfs/Illy-ComplexityCoffee-sciam02.pdf

"The resulting concentrated liquor contains not only soluble solids but also a diverse array of aromatic substances in a dispersed emulsion of tiny oil droplets, which together give espresso its uniquely rich taste, smell and “mouthfeel.”

It would seem oil is more important in espresso than other brewing methods and does not seem to impact flavor much itself, but as a carrier for flavor.

pic not really related but cool
>>
>>7500254
ataturk deliberately made them a tea country because they can grow tea themselves while they have to import coffee from arab scum

turkey strong and self-sufficient and so on
>>
>>7502719
It must do something right since unfiltered coffee is much more delicious than filtered coffee.
>>
Been playing with my new V60 and having lots of fun. I'm starting to get the amount of coffee vs. water down and the coarseness of the coffee I'm grinding. Pretty rewarding getting a decent cup of coffee especially after hand grinding it.
>>
>>7504673
I would disagree with that, and so would many others. I'd take paper filtered coffee 9 times out of 10
>>
File: cof.jpg (193 KB, 1168x784) Image search: [Google]
cof.jpg
193 KB, 1168x784
>>7505313
Why do you prefer it? Because it's less muddy?

I must admit I haven't had any Hario or Chemex or something like that, just regular drip and pourover with these ones, but they always seem to leave some cardboard taste in the coffee even when pre-rinsed.
>>
>>7505458
Better flavor clarity. No sediment.

With that said, different coffees are suited to different brew methods and filter types. I've had some coffees that I prefer through a metal filter because of the enhanced perception of sweetness and body, though I wouldn't put something complex and fruity through a metal filter.

Those brown ones you posted are more likely to leave a paper taste. white v60 filters are pretty much tasteless once you rinse them.
>>
I should work if you like it sludgy. I use a nylon bag to strain amygdalate.
>>
>>7505841
Guess I'll have to get one of those Harios and a gooseneck kettle in the future and give it a try then.
>>
>>7502803
next time try a more italian blend. More traditional espresso tends to be a lot less acidic and a lot more bold.
>>
>>7505910
You dont need a hario, just a bleached filter.
>>
>>7505841
You know, for average coffees, I think you're right. I use pour over with paper filters for my everyday coffee. But when I get my hands on something nice like a really good mocha or blue mountain, filtering out the oils is a damn shame. Those oils have fruity, citrusy, aged steak fat flavors. French press all the way.
>>
>>7499132
Buy unbleached filters
>>
>>7507545
Yes I realised I still have a cleverdrip laying around that I stopped using because of the cardboard taste. I'll buy some bleached ones this afternoon I think.
>>
>>7507719
>something nice like a really good mocha or blue mountain

Sorry dude, but those are most likely mediocre coffees at best. You feel for the meme.

>Those oils have fruity, citrusy, aged steak fat flavors
No. Fruity and citrusy flavors come from the dissolved acids. Aged steak fat? That sounds like a defect - particularly that the green coffee was stored poorly and absorbed off odors.

Blue Mountain is terrible value for money for a variety of reasons. Firstly, if you get a good one that is actually traceable back to Jamaica, then you are paying triple what it is worth. If you aren't, then you are just getting a blend that is like 5% blue mountain. Look more into the variety of cultivars out there, and into the advances in processing and farming techniques. If you're going to drop 50 bucks a pound on some coffee, at least grab a Geisha that will be exceptional. And if you happen to like the flavor profile of a blue mountain cultivar that much, just try and find some being grown in a different region. Or, just find something that has Typica as the primary cultivar. Pretty much the same thing.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.