[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I really like the flavor of gochujang, but i have issues getting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 8
File: gochujang.jpg (41 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
gochujang.jpg
41 KB, 400x300
I really like the flavor of gochujang, but i have issues getting it to mix into things well because its so viscous.

Best way to thin it/mix it in without messing things up? Ive tried mixing it with a little bit of hot water but only works for some applications
>>
Soy sauce
Sesame oil
>>
>>7493289
Is this the sort of thing you'd want to use for a stir fry? There's this thai resturant near me that has a dish called chile paste noodles, and I want to try and make something similar. Sorry I can't answer your question.
>>
>>7493296
are you saying either or both. Cause that kind of makes me want to try both.

>>7493300
Yeah i use it in stir fries pretty often, take a good spoonful, mix with a little hot water and pour over.
>>
Korean here.

I just put it into things straight, if I'm cooking with it, on low heat with a good bit of stirring. I've never had a problem getting it to mix evenly that way. For cold dishes, it depends on the dish how I put it in, but even then I rarely have to dilute it.
>>
>>7493450
When you do what do you dilute it with?
>>
>>7493539
Usually a bit of water. Not a lot, just enough to thin it.
>>
>>7493289

Isn't this the stuff that makes kimchi red?
>>
File: Korean-Pears-in-a-box.jpg (91 KB, 829x566) Image search: [Google]
Korean-Pears-in-a-box.jpg
91 KB, 829x566
>>7493289
Get some pears and purée them. Then add it to your gochujang.

This is actually a really old-school method of thinning gochujang that many Korean grandmothers use.
>>
File: koreanredpepper.jpg (75 KB, 547x372) Image search: [Google]
koreanredpepper.jpg
75 KB, 547x372
>>7493603
No, red pepper flakes make it red.
>>
File: this hairct.jpg (18 KB, 500x415) Image search: [Google]
this hairct.jpg
18 KB, 500x415
>>7493289
Other than when I make Kimchi soup, I dont have much of a use for it. I'm making ramen later so I'll try that. Will monitor thread for more ideas.
>>
File: 1456989133077.jpg (93 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
1456989133077.jpg
93 KB, 600x400
>>7493289
add in some crushed garlic, a little bit of your favorite soda, and maybe a little bit of tomato paste if you can't handle the heat. brush mixture over lightly pan-fried plain rice cakes. voila, 떡꼬치.
>>
Red pepper paste, a bit if garlic, soy sauce, water, and maybe some sesame oil. Mix it all up and get it thin. Then toss in green onions and roasted sesame seeds.

My aunt makes that all the time. I have an aversion to keeping it just sitting in the tub out at room temperature. She uses it so fast it doesn't go bad. I keep mine in the fridge and it's a bitch to scoop out.
>>
File: 20131130_192729.jpg (158 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
20131130_192729.jpg
158 KB, 620x349
>>7493791
떡볶이 is the more popular variation of this. It has a thinner, more watery red pepper paste sauce and the rice cakes remain soft and chewy. Its usually made with other ingredients too, like oden and vegetables. Goes well with ramen too.

Also, for the 떡꼬치, don't forget to skewer the rice cakes before frying them up.
>>
>>7493829
They'd usually put slices of american cheese on top if it came with ramen. :-)
Do they call it american cheese in Korea? I never asked, come to think of it.

>>7493810
Will try this. Maybe use it on some chicken/pork tomorrow.

Where do you guys buy gochujang/doenjang (된장)? I'm running low. I'd have to drive a couple hours there and back to shop asian (US). Any good places online?
>>
>>7493810
yeah, i dont use it enough to leave at room temp which i would assume makes things much easier and at fridge temp its thick as fuck.

>>7493609
like do that to an entire tub? cause i feel odd taking like a spoonful of pear to puree along with a spoonful of gochujang.
>>
>>7493810
>>7495372
I don't use mine that fast, not like my mom does, but I still keep it out at room temp, same with my doenjang. No issues yet, but now I wonder.

>>7494955
Sorry. I live in with a ton of other Asians all over the place. Never had to look for this stuff online before.
>>
>>7493829
fuck i'm waiting for lunch break and this is making me hungry

haven't had 떡볶이 in a while, but it's so good.
>>
File: IMG_20160322_131525303 resized.jpg (522 KB, 1300x730) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160322_131525303 resized.jpg
522 KB, 1300x730
>>7493400
I'm >>7493300 and bought gochujang hot pepper paste, very hot (level 4 spiciness out of 5) type. Tasted a little but it didn't really seem all that hot to be honest. Will use it in stir fry and post results. Maybe one of these days I will get a real camera instead of using my phone's potato one.

>>7493810
>>7495372
An employee at the grocery store I bought this from said that it will never go bad because of all the spiciness/salt although maybe only meant if refrigerated. He said that if it changes color, just stir it.
>>
>>7496191
Its not crazy spicy or anything, which is nice cause it has flavor to it as well.

I trust that it will last essentially forever in the fridge, i just dunno how i feel about room temp.
>>
File: IMG_20160322_142757807 resized.jpg (764 KB, 1300x730) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160322_142757807 resized.jpg
764 KB, 1300x730
>>7496307
You're right, it's not that spicy, although I didn't use much. I added it to my usual sauce of hot water, brown sugar, sesame oil, soy sauce, and red pepper flakes. I put pressed garlic on the frying pan before adding any of the vegetables or tofu. Next time I will use more of this gochujang paste and less of everything else.

My wok seems to have mysteriously disappeared, so I had to do this on a regular frying pan.
>>
>>7495372
You can grind up entire pears you want, then save it in a separate container.

Then you can thin your gochujang without disturbing the whole container. You can also experiment with different ratios to see how much thinness/pear flavor you want.

Just keep your pear puree separate in the fridge. It's not like thinning gochujang is its only purpose. You can also use it as an alternative to applesauce or something.
>>
>>7493609
YEAH I SAW THE TASTEMADE SNAPSTORY TOO YOU SCRUB, you think youre slick but youre not.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.