[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does /ck/ feel about hot dogs? Are they childish? Normally
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 7
File: hotdog.png (354 KB, 663x414) Image search: [Google]
hotdog.png
354 KB, 663x414
How does /ck/ feel about hot dogs? Are they childish? Normally I eat pretty well but I just now made the most basic hot dog ever and it has a certain allure. Plain bun, Hebrew National dog I grilled on a panini press, plain yellow mustard, ketchup, and dill relish. It isn't mind blowing or something I'd want all the time but I'm a little surprised how good and fulfilling it actually is.
>>
>are they childish
>>
>>7492802
>Hebrew National

All you have to say.

I generally hate hot dogs.

I will eat Hebrew Nationals over decent quality brats.
>>
If you do not like hot dogs, then you hate baseball, America, and freedom.
>>
>>7492802
>How does /ck/ feel about hot dogs?

I hate all beef hotdogs.
I go for brats, or I go for the cheapest pork/chicken/whatever else dogs.

I guess I like a chicago dog well enough, but would never make them myself.
>>
>>7492808
They're so tasty. I didn't eat hot dogs as a kid because my parents bought the gross cheap ones and I refused to touch it, so me liking it isn't even a nostalgia thing. The meat tastes good and well seasoned, I like the somewhat harsh flavor shock provided by the vinegary yellow mustard and dill relish, and I don't even care for ketchup but here its sweetness balances out the tartness so it works.
>>
>>7492823
Nah family, all beef are the only good ones. I like them but cannot stand those cheap four meat slurry tubes made with beef, turkey, chicken and pork.
>>
>>7492830
Kahns, StateFair, Ballpark are about the only hot dogs I buy anymore.
I like OP go mustard, ketchup, DILL relish, maybe some onion.

They also take chili and cheese really well.

Beef hotdogs clash with condiments a lot more, but arent flavorful enough to stand on their own.

Poorfag hotdogs for heavy condiments, brats and other sausages for standalone/light condiments.
>>
good hot dogs are good, bad hot dogs are bad. i only like ketchup and mustard unless it's a chili dog

>>7492806
there is some kind of stigma associated with that. when i worked at five guys the families would always get hot dogs for the kids. maybe because they are easier to eat.
>>
>that kid who brings brats instead of dogs to the BBQ

I am that kid btw. And I only have 4 so fuck off leeches
>>
>>7492855
>maybe because they are easier to eat.

Because its cheaper, and they are going to take one bite before they throw it away.
>>
>>7492849
Are ballparks good? As a kid my parents bought bar s made with pigs ass and chicken dicks and made me hate anything but all beef dogs. I'm willing to try mixed meat though if its higher quality on the level of Hebrew national.
>>
>>7492861
The taste of pork and chicken hotdogs are all pretty similar, but Bar-S and Eckrich and a few others have something sickening about them. I cant quite figure out what I hate about them.

Ballparks and Kahns are the two I most frequently buy, and while being pork chicken and whatever else, they are about 3$ a pack instead of the budget 99 cent hotdogs.

I too grew up hating pork hotdogs and only recently warmed up to them because of Ballparks.

Just 2-3 years ago I was a Hebrew/Nathans/Boarshead all beef only guy. Now I dont bother buying any of them
>>
>>7492882
I'll try it out, I've never heard of Kahns but Ballpark is popular here. How does Oscar Mayer hold up these days? I've had their all beef dogs and liked it, not as good as Hebrew though. I'm still scared to try the other ones.
>>
There's nothing wrong with the occasional tube of salt and fat, as long as it has a good snap to it. I'd choose better condiments, though.
>>
>>7492914
>How does Oscar Mayer hold up these days?

They taste uniquely like Oscar Mayer wieners.
Nothing really good about them but nothing egregious about them either.

>>7492938
I buy natural casing hotdogs made by a local butcher. Shit is satisfying
>>
>>7492855
the average hot dog plain or with basic condiments is something bland enough that kids are less likely to be picky, and consistent enough that it might be familiar to a kid who's hesitant to deal with new food. that's why they're the kind of thing that might be shoved onto the menu anywhere as a kid's item. it's still chill for adults to eat them.
>>
>>7492802
The only time you should worry if a food is too childish is if its in the shape of dinosaurs or something.
>>
>>7492802
I love them. If you have cheap ones doll them up with chili and onions, or make some crazy Latin American thing with them. Delicious. If you have good ones (sheep intestine casings, smoked pork OR beef with garlic and paprika) all they need is mustard and sauerkraut.
>>
Skinless hotdogs are some of the nastiest foods on the planet. Natural casing dogs are the food of the gods
>>
Tasty, simple, and convent. What's not to love about a hotdog?

The fact it's shaped like a penis? Maybe, but it depends how secure you are in your masculinity.
>>
>>7492802
There are just some dishes you do not make at home. Popcorn, nachos, and hot dogs come to mind.
>>
>>7493214
>What's not to love about a hotdog?
The fact that they're a massive blast of fat, salt and nitrites, making them a very poor choice for an everyday kind of food. But once in a while they're fucking delicious.
>>
File: 2016-03-21 17.03.44.jpg (4 MB, 2376x2105) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-21 17.03.44.jpg
4 MB, 2376x2105
my lunch

hebrew national 1/4 pounders
>>
>>7493268
You say that like fat is bad for you.
>>
I love hot dogs. Sure, they're relatively simple as a food, but you're an adult. You shouldn't give a shit what other people assume about you based on what you eat. Also, hot dogs with just mustard and a bit of chili are the best kind of hot dogs.
>>
A big package of garbage hot dogs makes everyone really happy for a night on camping trips
>>
Now I'm afraid to buy and try hebrew national in case this is some kind of marketing thread. Ah I'll just steal a pack
>>
>>7494123
Don't be a nigger, anon.
>>
>>7493066
Fuck you, dinosaur shaped nuggets taste better
>>
File: tumblr_lt6i62wt5O1ql0l7mo4_250.gif (334 KB, 245x126) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lt6i62wt5O1ql0l7mo4_250.gif
334 KB, 245x126
>>7493694
t-they come in quarter pounders?! I'm getting one!
>>
>>7494123
It does kind of read like one...
Well, I'm the second Hebrew national shill in the thread, from the third or fourth post, and I can say at least I'm not being paid.

Here is some criticism of them to prove my point. They are overpriced.

No, they are fucking overpriced.

They are pretty much the best hot dog out there, and if I'm going to eat a hot dog it will be either a Hebrew national or one from a local butcher, but considering the expense, the result is not me buying Hebrew nationals. The result is me not buying hotdogs at all.

Seriously, for the price of a pack of hot dogs I'm willing to eat, I can just grab a steak or some chicken breasts. Guess which one wins.
>>
>>7494205
Going to agree with anon here.

They're the best store bought hot dog you can get without a doubt.

But they're still overpriced.

Definitely not something I buy regularly, but even when I do want to splurge on something hotdogs aren't exactly the thing I'm reaching for.
>>
File: portillos_chicago.png (192 KB, 815x446) Image search: [Google]
portillos_chicago.png
192 KB, 815x446
>>7492802
>Are they childish?
You say as if it's a bad thing.
>>
>>7494578
that looks delicious
>>
>>7492820
I definitely hate baseball. I don't understand how it's possible to watch that shit and not want to kill yourself.
>>
>>7494593
Imagine it on the way out of whoever eats it.
A second sludgey dog, just for you.
>>
>>7492802
Sauerkraut on hotdogs is literally god tier. Sauerkraut and some spicy mustard.
>>
>>7494597
I don't follow; do you have IBS or celiacs? Lots of people have normal shits no matter what they eat.
>>
>>7494597
Why don't you stay in your containment thread, salad fucker?
>>
>>7494596
I feel the same way with soccer.
>>
>>7493268
>fat
meme
>salt
meme
>nitrites
meme

I wish you people would stop spouting this shit.
>>
>>7494603
can confirm
>suffer from IBS
>abrupt liquid shit and bloating most of the time
>hot dogs don't make it worse
>slight lactose intolerance, cheese and milk in their deliciousness makes it worse.
>red wine somehow makes it better.
>>
>>7494768
also I love/hate hotdogs.

They are great, I love the 'expensive' cheap multimeat anus and lip filled slurry in a red skin kind.

Taste fantastic with American yellow mustard and sometimes extras.

If I'm being fancy I'd buy a gourmet sausage, sometimes you just want to enjoy your childhood again... until the flavour starts to be too much anus.
>>
File: 20770591_front_a04.png (133 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
20770591_front_a04.png
133 KB, 320x320
There's such a thing as a good hot dog.

I generally prefer all-beef, kinda-large-ish ones with a bit of spiciness to them, like street vendors tend to sell.

Pic related is my go-to hotdog.
>>
>>7494645

>i wish you people would stop spouting this shit

Says the person calling everything a meme.
>>
>>7492802
A hot dog, to me, is 40% bun, 60% dog. A good potato roll or soft fresh roll will make anything taste good, but then if you have a natural casing hot dog in it, they go together so well. The snap of the case is what I like, and some people don't.
Meat and bread, that's my hotdogs and hamburgers. I'll dress up a cheaper faggot dog with onions, mustard, chili, or have a cheap dog with Wonderbread or just cold from the pack.

Saurkraut is good too, but very strong, don't need to use it on expensiver hotdogs.
>>
Only acceptable toppings for a hot dog are sauerkraut, grain mustard, dill relish, and celery salt. Chili and cheese are also ok on seperate occasions. Brats>dogs
>>
File: coneys.jpg (41 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
coneys.jpg
41 KB, 500x375
I dig hot dogs and will spring for a package of natural casings at the butcher or the grocery store and eat them for lunch for a week.

And these babies are the boss.
2 Detroit coney Island hot dogs with everything.
>>
A hot dog needs at least mustard and onion.
>>
>>7495504
>celery salt

>eat something with celery salt
>6 hours later
>oh shit something kind of between a teeth
>work it out
>bite it
>celery mouth
>>
>>7492802
That's not basic. Basic is microwaved, plain or maybe with ketchup.
>>
>a type of food being childish

What stems this kind of mentality?
It's food, not Legos or Barbie Dolls.
>>
>>7495374
this
>>
File: 1458516430827.jpg (36 KB, 480x715) Image search: [Google]
1458516430827.jpg
36 KB, 480x715
>>7495754
Pleb.

It's lunch time again, today I went all out. Same Hebrew national grilled on sandwich press. Same buns. But today I used a thin layer of mayo, yellow mustard, some chili! (no beans), diced white onion and shredded sharp cheddar.

Tip top notch.
>>
>>7495765
To be fair some foods are childish: Lollipops. Brightly colored sweetened breakfast cereal. Fruit leather. Juiceboxes. Chocolate milk.
>>
>>7495774
What's up with the mayo? Makes no sense.
>>
>>7495835
I dunno, makes it taste smoother. Mayo barely has any taste it just mellows things out and gives them a richness. I barely used any.
>>
>>7495858
It does add richness. I just don't get why someone would think to add richness to a chili dog. That's pretty fucking rich to begin with.
>>
>>7495861
Try it next time, its not like a little smear of mayo is going to ruin a highly flavoured chili dog anyway. You may not even notice it. And you may be right in saying it does nothing at all but I think it balances the flavors.
>>
>>7492951
to be fair I feel feel like ordering a hot dog at a restaurant from the kid's menu makes you look like a massive manchild, in the same vein that ordering chicken tenders or a grilled cheese would

though I agree nothing wrong with eating hot dogs as an adult, they're great
>>
Sonoran hot dogs a best! A BEST!
>>
>>7497112
To be fair eating at a restaurant that has a kid's menu if you don't have children in your party is doing it wrong.
>>
>>7497191
are you really this out of touch?
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.