[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cooking on a Salt Block
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: images-1.jpg (14 KB, 372x135) Image search: [Google]
images-1.jpg
14 KB, 372x135
I'm planning to buy a Himalayan salt block for my dad as a birthday gift. Is it actually a good cooking method? Do any of you have one? I'd like to hear some opinions.
>>
>>7492773
no
>>
>>7492931
Care to elaborate?
>>
>>7492773
>Is it actually a good cooking method?

Depends on what you mean, really. Can you cook on it? Sure. Is it anything special? No, not really. It's no different than cooking on a rock, thick metal plate, flat pan, or griddle except that it adds a tiny bit of salt to your food.
>>
I can't even see that shit without having flashbacks to Pink Himalayan Salt Guy. What happened to him, anyway?
>>
File: 12 angry men.jpg (291 KB, 2100x1441) Image search: [Google]
12 angry men.jpg
291 KB, 2100x1441
>>7493154
he died. stabbed to death.
>>
File: 1430783034169.jpg (15 KB, 364x344) Image search: [Google]
1430783034169.jpg
15 KB, 364x344
seems like a gimmick
>>
>>7493197
>plot twist: OP is actually Pink Himalayan Salt Guy in disguise
>>
It doesn't look to be much more expensive than decent regular cookware so I'd say it's worth experimenting with. Worst case scenario is being stuck with a weirdly colored frying pan.
>>
I got one as a gift, but I've only used it chilled for serving a fancy watermelon and feta salad (which was the first suggestion in the book that came with it).
Haven't tried heating it, mainly because I don't want to spend fifty quid on Kevlar gloves to handle the thing.
>>
That's pretty interesting actually, a large one would be nice if I ever did a sushi party or anything. How long do they keep for?
>>
>>7493649
>How long do they keep for?

its salt, so forever

well, assuming you keep it clean like any other cooking device
>>
>>7493669
I didn't know if it dissolved or anything. I'm assuming it's pretty prone to shattering if dropped too?
>>
>>7493669
>>7493675
Over time they will become pitted and more prone to cracking/exploding upon heating due to the natural moisture in food. Cleaning it with water would make that effect worse, as would any sort of abrasive cleaning or scrubbing.
>>
>>7492773
What?!! This is for cooking? I bought one of these and just smash it to pieces to SALT things.
>>
>>7493710
What if I just used it as a serving platter and didn't actually cook on it?
>>
>>7493717
There would still be pitting, but it wouldn't matter if you don't plan on heating it significantly. Due to the color of the block, I doubt you would notice the pitting unless you were looking closely.
>>
The melting point of salt is about 1500F, so you're not going to melt it, and salt retains and transmits heat about as well as any other rock (like a pizza stone)

Since its fucking salt, no bacteria, microbe, or fungus can grow on it making it nearly sanitary without having to wash it like a normal pot or pan.

Its a gimmick OP, but its kinda cool and will keep food warm after serving. But, I wouldn't advise cutting on it, its fragile, and you'll have to use a pan below it to prevent drips and spills. Most people use it on a BBQ for this reason as it imparts salt to whatever you're cooking.
>>
File: _20160322_140018.jpg (85 KB, 1080x1374) Image search: [Google]
_20160322_140018.jpg
85 KB, 1080x1374
How did I not know about these?
Does it give off a strong salty taste?
>>
>>7492947

no
>>
sounds like a pain in the ass considering how little actual effect you'll get from it and how much care it needs to be under to keep well with how fragile it is
>>
>>7494148
Don't let the tequila soak in it for to long or it will taste like straight up dead sea salt water
>>
meme
>>
>>7494173
no
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.