[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey i bought chicken hearts and livers on a whim because stuff
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 1435786738010.jpg (39 KB, 640x637) Image search: [Google]
1435786738010.jpg
39 KB, 640x637
hey i bought chicken hearts and livers on a whim because stuff was cheap as fuck

does anyone have any experience with this ?
>>
>>7482895
Soak in milk. Dredge in flour, egg, flour again. Fry them up. Eat. Make pan gravy with drippings ( and onions) if you want that.

Especially good fried in bacon grease if you have enough.
>>
File: Trading-Spouses.jpg (26 KB, 545x325) Image search: [Google]
Trading-Spouses.jpg
26 KB, 545x325
I grew up in the country and its what the really poor/really old/really black people ate. They'd usually just fry it up.

I was never a fan.
>>
>>7482908

You can also make some great pate' out of the chicken livers.

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015975-chicken-liver-pate
>>
>>7482895
>does anyone have any experience with this ?

Sure. The livers are tasty in pate as another anon mentioned. They're also good simply pan-fried or battered and deep-fried. Just make sure not to overcook them.

Both hearts and livers are great grilled on skewers yakitori-style. You can also use them both in the Cajun dish "dirty rice".

My favorite thing to do with the hearts is stuff mushrooms with them. Get some portabellos and remove the stems & scoop out the insides. Finely chop the mushroom bits you removed from the caps as well as the hearts. Fry them up together with some bacon. Season with salt, pepper, and thyme. Let the mixture cool, mix in an egg, then stuff the caps with the heart-bacon-mushroom mixture. Pat breadcrumbs over the top of the filling and either deep-fry them or stick 'em in a hot oven to cook the caps and crisp the breadcrumbs.
>>
>>7482908
sounds great, i was hoping for a meal thats low in cals though.

can i just use a pan instead of a deepfry ?
>>
>>7482937
can you explain how to prepare them for yakitory style? it seems that would be low on cals.
>>
>>7482942

Cut into equal-size pieces so they cook evenly, stick 'em on skewers, then grill them (or stick under the broiler). Periodically baste them with teriyaki sauce during the grilling.
>>
>>7482955
thats it? just make them fit the skewer ?

what about soaking in milk and any other spices
>>
>>7482969
You'd only want to do that if you were frying them. Seasoning is, like with all dishes, to taste
>>
>>7482969
>thats it? just make them fit the skewer ?

Yes. You want the pieces of be of equal thickness so that they cook at the same rate.

>>soaking spices
Not needed here. The seasoning comes from the Teriyaki sauce.
>>
>>7482910
My poor ass Appalachian white family ate chicken livers every other sunday. I still fry them up when I get cravings.
>>
What does chicken heart taste like?
Also, what does chicken liver taste like?
I never had either and I live in a dorm so I can't cook them atm
>>
>>7483120

Heart is very mild in flavor. It tastes like muscle meat because that's what it is.

Liver has a little more of a flavor to it. It tastes like liver (sorry, I can't think of anything to compare it to), but it's much milder than that from other animals.
>>
>>7483139
mm, i should look into bulking on chicken hearts then. that stuff is 4euro per kilo

163 calories and 16 protein per 100 gram

keep the recipes coming for the hearts
>>
This is my usual recipe for chicken livers : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tgwpvS4L9M
>>
>>7482895
>livers
PATE
A
T
E
>>
>>7483551
i want to eat them preferably as something like the main meal, like you would eat a steak
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.