[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>I don't believe orange juice comes from oranges. I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: hollu.jpg (5 KB, 109x140) Image search: [Google]
hollu.jpg
5 KB, 109x140
>I don't believe orange juice comes from oranges.

I tried squeezing a fresh orange this morning. Mind was blown. The stuff that came out was waaaay more like lemonade than the stuff they call "orange juice" in the store.

I don't believe there is ANY juice in "Orange juice" anymore. I think it's just another artificial drink like soda. They have a financial incentive. 2 liters of OJ sells for $5, but 2 liters of soda is <$2.
>>
>>7480811
Most fruit juices deteriorate in flavor very rapidly. Juice made fresh that minute is definitely going to be better than juice squeezed two weeks ago.
>>
>>7480811
You'll shit a brick when you find out where milk comes from.
>>
>>7480811
They sterilize and filter it to the point it tastes like nothing, then they add coloring and flavor back in.
>>
That's why you buy ones with a lot of pulp

Closest to the real thing, but nothing comes close to fresh
>>
>>7480811
Orange juice that you buy at the store is pasteurized, and in most cases, also made from reconstituted orange juice concentrate from multiple sources. (There are maybe 2 or three brands that don't do that). Fresh squeezed orange juice is always best. But, if you must buy orange juice at the store, look for orange juice that is from a single source, and is not made from concentrate. Also, stay away from orange juice made from juice from south america, because they use fungicides there that leech into the juice, while those kind of fungicides are banned in the US.
>>
>>7480816

Yep. This.
Some fruits contain enzymes that affect their own juice. Orange is actually a great example of this. Once you juice an orange the enzymes are liberated and free to mix with the juice. If you drink the juice quickly they won't have time to act and the juice tastes its best. However if the juice sits for a while (even 30 min) it will have a noticeable lack of flavor compared to the stuff you drank right away.
>>
>>7480820
https://youtu.be/Oi_cVBu5GEI
>>
>>7480821
This. There are at least a few good documentaries out there on it.
>>
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 976x732) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 976x732
These bitches had the best orange juice. Not from concentrate, and even unpasteurized. Shit went bad in like a week but it was actually like drinking oranges.

Too bad they all closed down around me.
>>
>>7480811
The orange juice you buy in the store has all of the pulp, peel, and pith. You don't really thiink they peel every orange before juicing it do you?

Essentially "fresh squeezed" oj is nothing but juice while store bought oj is nothing but the whole orange liquified...to say nothing of preservatives.
>>
>>7480820
lol
>>
>>7480811
Oranges this time of year are nice and sweet. In December when the first ones are ripe they can be pretty acid.

I only use juice when making orange juice as neither orange pith or zest do anything for me.
>>
>>7481152
It's their fault for being even more expensive than Whole Foods.
>>
Fresh squeezed is on a whole different level than the best grocery store shit, but it sounds like OP spent his whole life drinking no-pulp garbage, which is basically Tang tier.
>>
>>7481152
Aw fuck I used to love fresh and easy. I didn't know they had un pasteurized juice.
>>
>>7480811
There is a locally owned grocery store that sells nothing but high end and local food.

Then have a fresh orange juice machine, where they squeeze fresh orange juice every couple days.
You watch them do it, put it into a container and slap a label on it.

Its so fucking good, the machine is more efficient than I was ever at doing it.
>>
>>7480811
It's mostly just syrup and sugar. It's not fresh OJ because that'd expire too fast on the shelf.
>>
>>7480811
You need a centrifugal juicer, when I make orange juice it comes out very creamy and sweet with my Breville juicer. You need to buy the right type of oranges that are in season too, valencia and navel are best for juicing, and navel oranges turn bitter within minutes, so juice and drink fast. All clowning around aside, a centrifugal juicer somehow makes a superior juice, makes it creamy and sweet tasting, every time I hand squeezed oranges it didn't taste right.
>>
>>7482376
Opposite for me. Hand juicing means you aren't getting pithe or excessive oils from the peel like you would with an electric juicer.
>>
>>7480821
Why even bother with using oranges?
>>
>>7482376
breville's a bitch to clean and it's the difference between grinding coffee with a blade or a burr

>slow horizontal masticating juicer master race
>>
>>7482412
because if it's not at least 51% orange they have to call it orange drink, which is somehow a poor person drink even though it has the same nutritional value as orange juice.
>>
>>7480850
This
>>
Florida here

Orange juice is like concentrate. Its got something like 10 oranges in a quart.

Get frozen tropicanna. Cheaper and tastes better. Minutemaid frozen gives all frozen juices a bad name, that garbage is terrible. I miss their juiceboxes though.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.