[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok, so I thought I had this thing seasoned well. This was the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1
File: 38HT26Y[1].jpg (350 KB, 1152x2048) Image search: [Google]
38HT26Y[1].jpg
350 KB, 1152x2048
Ok, so I thought I had this thing seasoned well. This was the first time I used it. I seared some scallops, then deglazed with wine. The instant the wine touched the pan it turned into this.

My seasoning was done with flaxseed oil. One coat was baked on all around at 500* for 1.5 hours. Then I added 10-15 coats to the inside bottom with it on the burner; inside surface temperature was ~450* and I waited until all smoking stopped before adding the next. After those I left it on at ~330* for 45 minutes. Then another coat was baked on all over at 450* this time for 1 hour.

What the fuck did I do wrong?
>>
>>7468217
>seasoned
>one coat
that's not seasoned bruh
>>
too thick of oil
you want to wipe basically all the oil out with a paper towel so the oil layer is so minute it's practically non-existent or else the coating will flake off
>>
>>7468230
also, you should wait for the pan to cool completely between coats
>>
>>7468225
>>7468225
>didn't finish reading

total coatings were about 15 bruh
>>
>>7468230
Nigga I did. When doing it on the stove I was using the same cloth with barely any oil on it.
>>
>>7468217
Looks like cast iron? There's your problem.
>>
>>7468248
Carbon steel. Used in commercial kitchens the world over.
>>
>>7468240
well you have to use /some/ oil
>pour oil in pan
>wipe oil around with paper towel
>for 10 minutes
>bake
>cool
>repeat
>>
>>7468252
Each time I wiped oil on it smoked instantly wherever I wiped it and continued to do so for a few seconds. It was getting oil.

Also are you telling me to rub the oil in for 10 fucking minutes? jfc
>>
>>7468258
if it's smoking then it's not cooled down, is it?

not literally 10 minutes but a long enough time to get the oil spread around super crazy thin
>>
>>7468262
Is this bro science or actual science? Does the actual polymerization happen at high temperatures or when its cooling? Because if so one of the two directions most give of baking for 1-2 hours and letting it cool for 1-2 hours doesn't make sense.
>>
>>7468217
its pretty easy to mess up a seasoning, which is where the meme about
>boiling in skillet
>mom washed my skillet

come from. for example if you are sauteing something and you add some dried spices, those spices will dry out the seasoning where it touches. boiling more water than you can effectively evaporate will also fight your seasoning. for example when you are sauting onions, the skillet is always winning vs the water content of the onion. but when you coat the bottom of the skillet, the water is fighting the skillet faster than the skillet can evaporate it.

while i love my skillets utility for almost everything, i know that for the same reason i would never boil rice in it, i wont use it for many applications that i would rather use stainless for.

also, a skillet doesnt glaze, so deglazing with wine means your skillet is burning your food, which means it isnt seasoned at all.

stainless steel is for burning and boiling. burn your food to deglaze it later, and boiling soups and etc. a ceramic dutch is also good for burning and boiling, but doesnt burn the food until much later
>>
>>7468415
>but when you coat the bottom of the skillet
with water
>>
It looks like you didn't successfully remove the protective coating from the factory.
>>
>>7468415
You get fond in CI and CS... the reason you don't get much in teflon is because its so ridiculously nonstick.
>>
>>7468474
I got almost all of it off, there were only a few spots near the rim of the inside that still had some.
>>
So I'm going to strip with oven cleaner and reason with soybean oil. I've had very good success with soybean in the past, and so far every time I've tried to use flax it never quite works out and is weak as hell.

Any input moving forward?
>>
Honestly just to what Americas Test Kitchen does. Potatos and salt.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-suTmUX4Vbk

It Works very well.
>>
doesnt wine eat away at your seasoning?
>>
>>7468217
Did you salt the pan?
This is important but a lot of people don't do it.
>>
>this much hassle over one pan

i'd rather stay a teflonpleb
>>
>>7470178
stop cooking with acids in your fucking non-stick skillet you retard. you want to deglaze and make sauce then spend some money on a decent enamelled cast iron pan
>>
>>7470375
if you use the pan regularly enough to avoid rancidity you can season cast iron with bacon (and people on the Oregon trail did this often because bacon was oftentimes the only real fat they had).

>>7470495
If it's proper seasoning, no. The only real way to fuck a real seasoning on a cast iron pan is to either soak it in dish water or leave it empty over high heat for twenty minutes straight.
>>
>>7470517
Fuck you, I deglaze in the $5 Lodge I bought off the yard sale. You can shove right off with your overpriced french enamel.
>>
>>7468415
>those spices will dry out the seasoning where it touches
>a skillet doesnt glaze

lol the pseudoscience on this board sometimes
>>
>>7470517

Cast iron seasoning is nowhere near as fragile as you seem to imply. Yes, acidic foods can damage the seasoning, but that really applies only to long-simmered dishes, like cooking pasta sauce all day long. Deglazing with wine or sauteing tomatoes won't hurt the seasoning at all.

>>7470518
>avoid rancidity

That should NEVER be a problem. Rancidity means that ordinary oil or fat somehow got left on the pan (e.g. someone didn't clean the pan out properly). Seasoning is a layer of POLYMERIZED fat, which is chemically incapable of going rancid.
>>
>>7470535
if your skillet is creating fond, you have taken a misstep somewhere in life
>>
>>7471254
So no restaurant that uses carbon steel (a fuck ton) makes successful pan sauces?
>>
>>7471831
no you retard they just a different tool suited for that (i.e. a fucking sauce pan, not a skillet)
>>
>>7471874
>making a PAN sauce in a sauce pan

Ok friendo
>>
>"seasoning" cooking equipment

lol cast-iron, hipster babbies btfo.
>>
>>7471831
they literally never do. the closest to a sauce you are going to find in a skillet is when you are pan basting with a copious amount of oil and want to use the fat reduction as a sauce. skillets do not create fond unless it is untreated as hell, in which case it will burn literally everything that touches it
>>
>>7471884
anything that is not a skillet is hipster. philistines that think their 100 dollar 20 piece cooking set is the end-game of cookery are most likely the most inept cooks you will ever find. housewives and jacks that think buying utensils and exotic ingredients will make anything they touch even begin to be defined as 'edible'

being a master does not mean youve studied every technique under the sun, it means you can make an egg perfectly, you can make rice perfectly, you can make bread perfectly.

an amateur studies until he gets it right. a master studies until he cant get it wrong

ck is a meme
>>
>>7471880

searing meat in a SKILLET instead of a heavy PAN when you plan on making a PAN sauce
>>
>>7471916
CS pans are heavy as fuck bro. And the only difference between a skillet and a pan as you call it is slightly slanted sides vs straight. Both are perfectly fine for searing.
>>
>>7471936
well obviously since you had such nice results with your sauce bro, why'd you even make this thread
>>
>>7471946
Because I did something wrong when seasoning. And I wanted to find out what. Adding wine to a pan shouldn't instantly strip it bare in most of the bottom.

In terms of cooking, I didn't make any mistakes. The mistake(s) were made in preparing the pan for its first use.
>>
>didn't fold the oil 1000 times
>>
>>7471900
I worked in a couple of restaurants that almost exclusively used carbon steel pans. In both places we kept some with perfect seasonings meant for browning delicate items and frying eggs and whatnot, but most were just scrubbed to oblivion because high heat sears and pan sauces ate away the seasoning. They can be used for both tasks, but we treated them accordingly.
You can still do pan sauces without messing with a seasoning very much, but I would advise sticking with things like low acid booze, stock, cream, or water for deglazing while not bringing the temp up too high.
When using the scrubbed to oblivion pans, we would just do a quick seasoning and run with that, kind of like you do with a flat top.
>>
just use 1 coat of super glue
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.