[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are your average chips really that bad for your health, or is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5
File: lays-sour-cream-onion.png (195 KB, 334x483) Image search: [Google]
lays-sour-cream-onion.png
195 KB, 334x483
Are your average chips really that bad for your health, or is it just a meme from paranoid people?
>>
Let me put it this way, a bag of chips is not a meal.
>>
>>7450333
I dunno but I eat way too many. Takis are my heroin.

I can't buy them anymore. Zero self control.
>>
deep fried is bad for you
>>
>>7450712
yes it's bad
>>
>>7450712
Anything that relies on being friend in oil is bad
>>
>>7450712
-Sodium through the roof.
-High in carbs.
-High in "unhealthy fats" (Shut up fedora, I know there is debate on dietary cholesterol. Bottom line is fat is 9 calories a gram. not a good thing if you aren't into moderation)
-Butylhydroxytoluene is added to keep the fats from going rancid. It is linked to cancer in high amounts.
>>
>>7450712
like anything, fine in moderation. too much polarizing going on. small serving sizes is just fine, but because they're so light and easy to eat tons of, you often overeat, which is bad. empty calories basically

so the answer is both
>>
Hundreds of salty, fatty, oily calories you won't remember eating half an hour later.
>>
my dentist told me that they're bad because the potato tends to stick to your teeth longer than chocolate does (especially molars)
>>
>>7451016
lol this
i once ate chip then watched Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium and it still was stuck to my teeth
wth?
>>
>>7450992
>friend in oil is bad for you

Well that's going to put a damper on my sex life.
>>
File: 40755799d0881faaa3797c3de612f86f.jpg (704 KB, 1920x1440) Image search: [Google]
40755799d0881faaa3797c3de612f86f.jpg
704 KB, 1920x1440
what do I replace chips with?

I'm 6'0 and struggle to stay above 125 so it's not a weight issue, but if I could eat something equally satisfying that happens to be healthy I would.
>>
>>7451360
I think pita chips (doesn't have to be Stacy's brand but the jalapeno ones are pretty great) are a pretty good alternative to chips. They're pretty crunchy and they taste great. Tortilla chips are a decent alternative is good too.
Ideally, in between meal snacking isn't a good habit to build.
>>
eat waffle pretzels instead.
>>
File: popcorn.jpg (2 MB, 2500x1667) Image search: [Google]
popcorn.jpg
2 MB, 2500x1667
>>7451360
Popcorn. It's pretty much impossible to eat too much.
>>
>>7451360
Cyanide.
>>
>>7451497
I don't think that's really Swifty.
>>
>>7451485
only air popped popcorn without butter and sugar obviously.
lots of brands have popped up recently selling 25g bags. There are loads of flavours and its about 100 cal a bag.

Metcalfes are really good, the sweet and salted or wasabi flavoured ones are great.
>>
They dont fill you up for very long, so later on you need more food. Which means you end up eating too many calories and you get fat.

Chips are for lazy people who eat bags of them and get fat.

Sometimes I might eat a couple chips with a sandwich but not bags and bags of them like fat slobs do.
>>
>>7451523
this. A 'normal' bag of chips is about 350 cal, and thats not too bad when the average person eats them every now and again. Many larger people have a tendancy to eat a large bag of chips or doritios in one sitting which is around 1000ish cal if not more.

Not neccesarily good for your health in any capacity but they wont outright kill you unless you abuse them.
>>
>>7451399
I certainly agree with the alternatives, but in between snacking isn't too harmful. As long as you account for your food it's actually pretty good for staying full throughout the day. That said keep track with an app or something and have an apple, shit fills you up disproportionate to its size.
>>
>>7450997
Except lays are just potatoes, vegetable oil, and salt.
>>
File: Lays-Srax-Varieties1.jpg (129 KB, 614x281) Image search: [Google]
Lays-Srax-Varieties1.jpg
129 KB, 614x281
>>7450712
They're junk food yeah so you shouldnt just eat them all the time and in large amounts.

Though I still find myself having maybe a 2-3 week period of eating an entire can of these things around twice a week then just not feeling up to it for a long ass time.
>>
>>7451016
Then the potato starch on the inside gets converted to sugars by the saliva and can't be reached because it's blocked by the outside potato. Fucking cavity machines
>>
When ever I buy a bag of chips, it usually lasts a week. It a handful at break at work, then have a sandwich for lunch. Chips are bad but in moderation they are alright.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.