[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What tips would you give someone who is almost a complete beginner
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: 1454904034906.jpg (35 KB, 696x423) Image search: [Google]
1454904034906.jpg
35 KB, 696x423
What tips would you give someone who is almost a complete beginner to cooking? Such as how many times can dishes be reused, how do I know I'm cooking this stuff right, how long can you actually hold onto different food, etc
>>
>>7449235
Start with grilled cheese and bacon
>>
>complete beginner to cooking?
Master eggs. It's where kids start. Easy to learn heat control, etc
>how many times can dishes be reused
Until you get tired of eating it?
>how do I know I'm cooking this stuff right
It'll taste good
>how long can you actually hold onto different food
Practice.

None of this is as difficult as you seem to think it is. Watch some cooking shows, bruv. NOT reality tv. Cooking shows.
>>
>>7449235

watch good eats to get a basic understanding of the basics of cooking and cooking tecniques
>>
1. All food is fine until it smells funny compared to when it was fresh. People are too autistic about food poisoning.
2.Make sure the pan is hot before throwing veg/meat/seafood in. Make sure water is boiling before adding items, exception being rice.
3. If you want to know if vegetables are cooked, taste them.
4. Non dark meats and seafood will change from translucent to opaque when cooked.
5. Learn to saute onions. They should be soft and translucent before adding other items to the pan.
6. You can worry about seasoning properly after you've conquered cooking the item properly.
>>
>>7449308
why not boil the water first for rice?
>>
>>7449440
because nobody boils rice anymore

I MEAN COME ON
>>
>>7449440

More likely you'll fuck it up. Ratio is important to cook rice.

>2:1 water to rice ratio (different ratio for brown rice)
>Put your rice and water in the saucepan, high heat, uncovered, do not stir
>when the water is fully boiling, turn the heat down as low as possible, put a lid on the saucepan
>when the water is completely absorbed by the rice, turn off the heat and leave to steam for a minute or two
>Congratulations your rice is edible
>>
>>7449519
just tried to make rice without checking the thread and burned it...I think I'll print this post out and put it on the fridge
>>
>>7449545
most rice packages come with instructions...
>>
>>7449519
>More likely you'll fuck it up.
No? Boiling first is literally the same exact steps except you add the rice when it boils and not before. If you boil first you should also know that it takes pretty much exactly 20 minutes for the water to be absorbed so you can just walk away and come back in 20 minutes to perfectly cooked rice.
>>
>>7449285
This. You should be able to scramble, fry, or sunny-side up and poach an egg. Eggs are delicious and good for you. Just be sure to pair it with something crunchy like toast or bacon.
>>
>>7449555

The method I posted is foolproof, fight me. I should know, I used to fuck it up all the time until my friend's Bangladeshi dad showed me that.
>>
>>7449675
oh shit son. if currynigs said so I'm on board
>>
>1. All food is fine until it smells funny

As someone that can't smell I HATE this meme. It sounds so stupid, like some retarded superpower that lets you know when food is bad. Try giving actual advice for once.
>>
>>7449235
youtube you suck at cooking

cheap and easy shit to make and its funny as fuck
>>
>>7449519
>>7449555
>>7449675

persians make god tier rice by par boiling it then steaming it with butter.

there are many good ways to cook rice.
>>
>>7449697

It's not a meme you fucking freak it's true. Ask someone else to smell it for you if you're that incompetent.
>>
>>7449731

He's a complete beginner though. I wasn't saying that that's the only way to cook rice, it's just an effective and simple way for beginners. He probably doesn't even know what par-boiled is.
>>
>>7449740

i would argue that as the persian method deals with extremes (just fucking boil it for a specific amount of time, then just fucking leave it on the lowest heat possible for a specific amount of time) it's pretty good for beginners, but i take your point.
>>
>>7449733
Wow reported to the police for hate speech expect action for this.
>>
>>7449768

How they gonna find me? Sniffer dogs?
>>
>>7449235
If you're a complete beginner:

I suggest watching cooking shows on youtube. There's really so much to cover, and when you're just starting you need to see how things should go. Some that I think would be good are Alton Brown (Good Eats), FoodWishes, Mark Bittman (The Minimalist), Jacques Pepin. There are better chefs and probably better shows, but I feel like these are good teachers.

How I'd suggest to approach learning: stick to the basics. Don't get bogged down in complex recipes. You want to learn how to do things like cook pasta, grill a steak, roast chicken thighs, steam rice, saute vegetables, make a stew, etc.
>>
>>7449697
What difference does it make to you? Go ahead and eat rotten food, you won't even taste the difference.

Why would a nosmell freak even cook
>>
>>7449235
Unless you're retarded and burn shit, everything is water/soap soluble in the end
>>
>>7449235
Also, a good sear requires a thin film of water to work. Not bone dry, not swimming, just a thin layer to help move proteins/sugars around
>>
File: clown feels.png (668 KB, 563x530) Image search: [Google]
clown feels.png
668 KB, 563x530
>>7450001
>tfw I'm retarded and burnt shit
>>
>>7449697
>all food is fine until it grows mold

As someone that can't see I HATE this meme. It sounds so stupid, like some retarded superpower that lets you know when food is bad. Try giving actual advice for once.
>>
>>7449235
control your heat, I work in a Large university's instructional kitchen and the most common problem with students is they have their heat turned up to fast because they thing they need the pan iron hot to cook food
>>
>>7451019
I was going to make this exact comment, but couldn't figure out how to word it so I gave up.
>>
>>7449697
>le "i disagree so i'll call it a meme" meme
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.