[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cast Iron Skillet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7
File: Cast Iron Skillet.jpg (12 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Cast Iron Skillet.jpg
12 KB, 500x500
So what's the deal with not washing these things.

I haven't washed mine in weeks, I keep cooking meat over and over in the same oils and it taste good but am I going to die from this or some shit?
>>
I wash mine after each use.
>>
You took that too literally man.

You are not supposed to wash it with soap because it will rust when its raw iron, but after you cook it builds up a patina or a seasoning that protects it.

Go scrub that pan out back to the metal and clean it really good and then after you dry it all you have to do is coat it with oil and rub it with a paper towel.
>>
>>7445425
ok
>>
wash it by hand without soap after use and dry it immediately.
>>
>>7445435
Ahh right okay, thanks for the info. I'll get to it now and give it a deep scrub an so what you said, just keep a thin layer of oil on it with a paper tow.l
>>
You want to clean the pan and then just oil it to build a seasoning.

Store the pan lightly oiled so it wont ever rust.

OP. If you have a flat sided pan like that its good for making a single ruben sandwich.

Have you tried one of those ?

You put butter on two slices of rye bread and put it on the pan and add swiss cheese, corned beef and sourkraut. Then some 1000 island sauce.

Do it on low heat because the rye bread toasts super fast.

And I like to warm up my kraut and meat before I add it to the sandwich.

But the cast iron is great for grilling the sandwich bread. We use a double burner flat top.
>>
>>7445446

Yea just like your guns, cleaned and oiled.

They are both metal.
>>
Sugar and potatoes. Heat the pan hot and scrub it with sugar worth half of a potato.
>>
>>7445447
>reuben
>1000 island

kill yourself
>>
>>7445465
Just tried this and it worked great!! Thank you!
>>
Alright done and done, scrubbed it and rubbed oil on it, probably more than I should have but it should be okay now.

>>7445447
>OP. If you have a flat sided pan like that its good for making a single ruben sandwich.

I have not and that sounds really, really good. I hope you don't mine I saved the recepie to my notepad and will try it out. I am a cooking novice, all I do is make steak and lambchops
>>
File: seinfeld_jerry.jpg (38 KB, 240x260) Image search: [Google]
seinfeld_jerry.jpg
38 KB, 240x260
>so what's the deal

I mean it's CAST IRON, when did we all decide to take cooking notes from the Amish? *laughter*
>>
>>7445498
only if you're a complete pleb. you should be using Russian dressing
>>
>>7445435
>You are not supposed to wash it with soap because it will rust when its raw iron
Pure bullshit. You fell for the memes, you fucking moron. Cleaning your pan with a bit of soap is not going to kill your seasoning. Just make sure to dry it completely after you wash it and it will be fine. I've been doing that for months with two pans and they're fine.
>>
>>7445515
This.

If using soap damages your seasoning, it was never properly seasoned to begin with.
>>
With respect to the dying part, the heat generated during cooking is supposed to kill the germs. You'll be fine as long as you do proper food safety.
>>
>>7445420
Wash it you faggot. Don't do something stupid like soak it for days but certainly wash it, dry it, put it on a burner to heat up, rub down with oil/shortening and that's it.
>>
Whenever I use mine and food sticks, I just heat it up and pour some water in like I was deglazing it, most of the cooked on shit lets go right away and then it is easy to wipe down with a clean wet rag. If you don't use it often, it can be beneficial to pour just enough oil in it to coat the bottom. I use mine at least 4 times a week though so I don't bother.
>>
>>7446612
Heat generated during cooking kills germs but it does not denature toxins produced by spoilage microbes. Cooking something is not an excuse to not be sanitary. People get food poisoning from cooked foods all the time and while sometimes it's caused by cross-contamination, sometimes it's caused by toxins that remained through the cooking process.
>>
Why use a cast-iron skillet over a run of the mill skillet?
>>
>>7446747
cast iron is the run of the mill skillet. its the only skillet
>>
Just scrub it out with some salt and water when it gets crusty. If you have a proper seasoning you should be fine. Just don't scrub too hard.
>>
>>7446748
An aluminum skillet.
>>
>>7446760
lol
>>
File: wipe the pan.jpg (125 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
wipe the pan.jpg
125 KB, 800x533
>>7445420
>I haven't washed mine in weeks, I keep cooking meat over and over in the same oils and it taste good but am I going to die from this or some shit?

I haven’t washed my cast iron pan in years.

As long as you’re regularly using it and wipe it out throughly with a paper towel after cooking (after it’s cooled a bit but is still warm and before the fat in the pan congeals) you’ll be fine.
>>
>>7445509
Russian=!000 Island
>>
Wash you fucking pan with hot water and soap. If it's seasoned properly, you'll be fine. Jeezus, these pans are virtually indestructible, that's why they are so popular. I guarantee you that your grandmother washed her damned cast iron pan after every use.
>>
>>7447095
same here.
>>
File: cast iron.jpg (13 KB, 300x201) Image search: [Google]
cast iron.jpg
13 KB, 300x201
>>7447109
>Wash you fucking pan with hot water and soap. If it's seasoned properly, you'll be fine.

Don't fall for the seasoningjews bullshit, the entire purpose of soap is to remove OILS and the primary advantage of cast iron cookware are the OILS you've seasoned your cast iron with while cooking.

The only time you need to go thru the whole artificial seasoning process, is if it's an old rusty pan that had to be refurbished.... or if you're using soap.
>>
>>7447101
>being this wrong
>>
>>7447175
A quick wash with hot water and soap WILL NOT degrade the seasoning if it's been done correctly and you dry it on the stove. Quit making giving ridiculous meme any more traction than it already has.
>>
>>7445420
buy a vitroceramic skillet instead of some obsolete meme cast iron
>>
File: cast iron camping pan.jpg (8 KB, 236x282) Image search: [Google]
cast iron camping pan.jpg
8 KB, 236x282
>>7447208
>A quick wash with hot water and soap WILL NOT degrade the seasoning

Of course it will, removing oils is what dish soaps were developed to do.

But then there is no need to wash a cast iron pan in the first place, if you're using it to fry up stuff at least every couple of weeks, just wipe it out with a paper towel.

Now if the pan sits for too long, (say a month or more) then the oil becomes rancid and then and only then, is the lightly pan washed with hot water and dish soap.

After that, regular cooking with the pan will restore the seasoning, no need for the rub-it-with-grizzly-bear-fat-and-bake-it-upside-down-in-handbuilt-stone-oven-fired-with-driftwood bullshit.
>>
>>7447175
Have you ever seen a cookie sheet or a pan with black, burnt-on stains on it? The kind that never come off no matter how hard you scrub them?
That's burnt-on oil, aka polymerization. That's the same shit that cast-iron seasoning is made out of, if you do it right. Burnt oil. That's why seasoning a cast iron skillet at proper temperature makes a FUCK TON of smoke.
Soap every now and then will not destroy your seasoning, or my mother's cookie sheets would be fucking spotless.
>>
File: carbon off.jpg (30 KB, 185x489) Image search: [Google]
carbon off.jpg
30 KB, 185x489
>>7447414
>The kind that never come off no matter how hard you scrub them?

It will, you just have to use the right product.
>>
>>7447439
This is interesting, but still, we both know I was talking about soap.
>>
>>7447439
> spraying toxic shot on cookware
>>
>>7445485

Traditionally this is what goes on a Reuben.

If you ever had one with sauce then you had it with 1000 island.

I just put a little on the swiss cheese as it melts.

Its made of Mayo, Ketchup and sweet pickle relish.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.