[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chicken Thighs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6
File: DSC_6406_1024x1024.jpg (99 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
DSC_6406_1024x1024.jpg
99 KB, 1024x768
So I've recently fallen in love with chicken thighs. Without a doubt my favorite meat at the moment. Tasty, cheap, easy to cook with.

Thing is I don't really know any good recipes. I just fry them up with garlic like a moron. Can you share your favorite chicken thigh recipes?
>>
>cheap
>>
I love them too. I usually just deep fry with a dredging of seasoned flour.
And put buffalo sauce on it or make rice and put a general tso's sauce on
>>
I bake mine with s&p, olive oil, paprika and sage. Tasty.
>>
>>7444629
I usually chop them up and use them as the protein base in various stir fry recipes.
>>
>>7444629

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017936-chicken-tacos-with-chipotle

made this a few weeks ago. extremely good, leftovers for days + it made good breakfast burritos
>>
>>7444629
I usually get whole thighs or leg quarters, season them, sear them and then braise them.
>>
File: 20160306_122013.jpg (4 MB, 4128x3096) Image search: [Google]
20160306_122013.jpg
4 MB, 4128x3096
One of my favorite recipes of all time. Makes a bunch of leftovers which is great.

Phone is potato though. Sorry about picture quality.
>>
I bake mine with a dry rub: paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, red pepper, black pepper, salt, cumin, and either oregano or basil

350 for 40-50 minutes in a glass dish. It's crazy hard to fuck up. and they look good on top of any sides
>>
>>7444636
They're cheaper then Chicken breast, that shit costs almost $18 for a family pack in Canada.
Chicken thighs for the same amount of meat are like $7.
>>
>>7444704
That sounds pretty good, I love using cayenne pepper for my meats its such a great flavorful spice add in.

Will try this and make a thread once I'm done at the store, thanks anon!
>>
>>7444707

>>Says it's crazy hard to fuck up
>>quotes a super long cooking time ensuring that it's overcooked to hell and back
>>
>>7444720
cost per kg or your anecdote a shit
>>
>>7444629
Chef John's chicken tikka masala with chicken thighs is pretty damn good.
>>
>>7444707
>40-50 minutes

Jesus Christ
>>
>>7444724
No problem. Looking forward to your thread.
>>
File: 20160303_133706-1.jpg (3 MB, 4320x975) Image search: [Google]
20160303_133706-1.jpg
3 MB, 4320x975
Thanks for this thread! I just bought a fuck ton of thighs while they were on sale for 49 cents per pound here in Georgia. Been looking for some new recipes to try out. What I've done in the past sometimes is season, grill them, and then freeze for quick dinner some night down the road.
Thighs on the right, unrelated (but still on sale) pork steaks on the left.
>>
i soak mine in plan yogurt. diced garlic and seasonings. put the whole kit in the oven and bake till cooked. broil at the end to get some color and toughen up the skin. shit is so delicious. and yes, thighs are the best. look up yogurt chicken online, lots of ways to do it. i think thats how they get tendori chicken but this is dif.
>>
>>7444629
stuff them with goat cheese/herbs and wrap them in prosciutto, bake them
>>
chicken thighs are great for coq au vin
>>
>>7444730
you a shit
>>
>>7444901
49 cents for a pound? you're joking right? here in the UK they are like £4 for 8 thighs and thats cheap for meat from supermarkets
>>
>>7444977
Here in Philamuhdelphia, fresh chicken leg quarters (thigh and drumstick) are usually 69¢/lb. When on sale, they drop to 39¢/lb. One local supermarket that also does cash-and-carry bulk sales offers 10lbs at $3.99 and 40lbs at $14.98 right now.
I prefer leg quarters because skins, bones, fat, cartilage and drumsticks are also useful, not just thigh meat.
Buying a case gives me enough cartilage and thigh bones for making 1 gallon/4 litres of stock, enough skin and fat for about 2 litres/quarts of cooking grease and a half kg/1lb of chicken rinds as snacks as well as roughly 21lbs of meat.
All that for under $15USD.
If you buy that shit separately, that'd be around $31 just for the meat alone.

For anyone poor or frugal, invest in a dedicated freezer, buy your meat in bulk and learn how to freeze it effectively to avoid freezer burn. A $200 freezer pays for itself in meat savings in less than a year.
>>
I use it as the meat in an indian style curry dish.
>>
I usually just replace breasts with thighs in any recipe that calls for boneless chicken. it usually works out
>>
>>7444629
I like to make a curried stew/soup with chicken thighs, it's super cheap, filling, and makes great leftovers.

You will need:
3/4 Chicken thighs, bone in preferred
1 onion
6 or so baby potatoes
2 or 3 carrots
1 stick of celery
1 cup of oats (preferably nice chunky oats) OR 1 cup of barley pearls
2 cloves of garlic
A bit of fresh ginger root
Tinned tomatoes or fresh diced tomatoes
Like a tablespoon of butter

Spices:
Dash of cinnamon
Freshly ground black pepper and to taste
1tsp decent chilli powder OR some fresh green chilli
2tsp cumin seeds
1tsp cumin
2tsp garam masala OR curry powder

Prep your veggies to taste, carrots/potatoes/celery to taste, dice onion, grate or finely dice ginger, grate or finely dice garlic.

Heavily salt the chicken thighs and add them skin side down to a hot and well oiled pan until the skin is crispy and the fat well rendered.
Melt the butter in a small amount of vegetable oil in a large pot, add onions and cook until turning clear, add all the spices. If it's getting really dry add some more vegetable oil.
After 1 minute add the ginger and garlic, and the celery, stir well and cook for a further minute.
Add the rest of the vegetables, stir well again and add some vegetable or chicken stock, or some wine (not all of what you have) to deglaze the bottom of the pot.
Add your chicken thighs, deglaze the pan you used to cook the chicken with stock/wine/whatever the fuck you want and add it to the pot.
Add the tinned tomatoes/fresh tomatoes. If everything isn't covered by liquid add some hot water/stock/whatever
Bring to the boil and simmer, if you're using pearl barley add that now.
Simmer at low temperature for an hour (or longer), stirring at whatever interval you feel like, and serve, goes well with some yoghurt and fresh coriander.

If using oats then add them about 6 minutes before you want to finish cooking, turn heat up to high, and stir continuously for 6 or 7 minutes, or until the oats are nice and cooked.
>>
>>7444730
I'm the anon who wrote >>7445475
My local supermarket has chicken breast varying in price between £5.95/kg and £10/kg depending on quality, while chicken thighs and drumsticks get as low as £2.73/kg.
The cheapest you can buy chicken or for a whole chicken, £2.06/kg.
>>
>>7445493
That really seems outrageously expensive to me.

Those prices for breasts work out to close to $4-6/lb. At most breasts around here are closer to $2-3/lb and as low as $1/lb for split breasts and sometimes for boneless breasts when on a particularly good sale.

Whole chickens are usually around $1/lb, sometimes down to 70-80 cents on sale. I even bought a few packs of leg quarters for 50 cents/lb on sale a few months ago.

How the fuck is chicken so expensive over there? It's one of the cheapest and easiest meats to raise and can be raised pretty much anywhere.
>>
>>7445521
You know if someone posts their prices in one unit, you should probably also post your prices in that unit.
Also everything is more expensive in the UK because we have less people who can't afford food.
>>
>>7445521
£5.95/kg = $8.46/kg = $3.81/lb
>>
>>7445525
Why? If I can take the few seconds it requires to look up currency and weight conversions and figure it out, so can whoever is reading my post.

If they're too lazy or stupid to do it, that's their problem.
>>
>>7445521
I think battery farming is banned in the UK
>>7445537
>I don't want to be a good poster
>>
>>7445562
If I were a mod I would ban you for this post
>>
>>7445568
That's why you're not a mod.
>>
>>7445549

It isn't banned, but nobody eats it. Popular supermarkets only stock free-range stuff, even their own brands are pretty much always free-range, thus more expensive.
>>
>>7445637
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/the-end-of-battery-farms-in-britain-but-not-europe-6281802.html
>>
>>7444629
Chicken curry
Fajitas
Fried rice
Roasted chicken and veggies
>>
>>7444730
Texasfag here, I frequently get thighs for a third to a quarter of the price of breasts per pound.
>>
>>7444730
Not the OP but here in New England whole thighs are like $0.99/lb or less, boneless/skinless thighs are like $3/lb or less and breasts are like $5/lb. Where you live that thighs are the same price as breasts?
>>
>>7444629
They're outstanding for making fajitas.

>Salt, pepper, and brown the thighs then remove from pan
>throw in an onion
>throw in garlic
>throw in chili powders and seasonings of choosing
>throw in a can of Rotel tomatoes and green chilis
>throw in one can of low sodium chicken stock
>simmer for an hour or so until the chicken shreds with tongs.

Then just throw on fajitas with whatever other ingredients you like.
>>
File: 1456852002553.gif (133 KB, 497x501) Image search: [Google]
1456852002553.gif
133 KB, 497x501
>>7444901
>>7444901
WHAT WHERE

ATL right here
>>
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C4TwFiDUDX0

Try this op
>>
They're pretty good smoked if you have the ability/equipment to do that. Otherwise, I just use them in any recipe calling for chicken. About to use them in a curry tonight.
>>
>>7446085
Quality Foods on buford drive, in Buford. Just checked, sale goes until Tuesday. Not sure if it's for just this one store or not.
>>
>>7446085
Have you tried the Varsity, it's an amazing restaurant.
>>
>>7444629

Great choice!

I like to braise them. Ginger, herbs, rice and a fat of your choice is always a crowd pleaser.
>>
File: 1457301096965.jpg (70 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1457301096965.jpg
70 KB, 960x960
>>7446527
>>7446527
>>
>>7446539
Constanza ate there once, I think they named a menu item after the character he played on Seinfeld.
>>
>>7444636
Are you a pauper or something

Thighs are dirt cheap

>>7444662
This
>>
put some olive oil in a pan and heat. Throw in a clove of crushed garlic, and add a chopped onion. Add a few capers and some black olives, throw in some basil and a small stick of rosemary.
Add some chicken thighs and start to brown, then add some white wine and a tiny bit of vinegar.
When the wine has evapoarted throw in half a kilo of chopped tomatoes, and keep frying till they are cooked. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
Hey presto pollo alla cacciatora Italian style.
>>
>>7444629

Thighs are great for braising or in chicken chili. Prefer breasts when just frying or sauteeing though.
>>
>>7444629
Tandoori spice mix with yoghurt
>>
>>7444720

Breast and thigh are both $1.50-$2.00/lb at the store here in US and A (in the big family packs)
>>
>>7444704
>remove and discard the skin

why tho
>>
>>7447765

because it's a bad recipe, that's why.
>>
File: img_3353[1].jpg (3 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
img_3353[1].jpg
3 MB, 4000x3000
>>7444629
Here's what I like to do
>slice up thighs into small strips
>marinade with olive oil and pesto
>boil some angel hair pasta
>fry up the chicken strips with garlic and olive oil
>combine with pasta
>add a shitload of pesto and butter
So simple yet so good.
>>
>>7444629
I like to do a teriyaki inspired marinade, comes out pretty tasty.

ginger, garlic, soy sauce, brown sugar, pepper, maybe some sriracha.
>>
let me just hijack this thread to talk about another chicken related topic tho

I marinaded (yakitori sauce, soy sauce, madras and ginger) & roasted some chicken drumsticks tonight, and I've kept the bones like a good jew to make stock with. What sort of soup will the remains of that marinade lend themselves to?
>>
>>7447765
Leaving the skin in makes the meal greasy. I usually just eat a few as a snack. Super tasty.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.