[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm staying in my Japanese Grandma's house. I bought
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5
I'm staying in my Japanese Grandma's house. I bought some nice a4 wagyu ribeye steaks for like 20$, but it turns out my grandmas stove automatically shuts off if it gets too hot (Because old people are forgetful and cause fires).

How do I sear a wagyu steak if I can't even cook it at a high temperature?
>>
>>7427414
Does her oven do the same thing? If not take an oven-safe pan, heat it to 450* F, and then sear the steaks on that. You can even finish them in the oven after.
>>
dude you fucked up on the planning
>>
Grill those steaks. They deserve to be licked first by charcoal fire.
>>
>>7427418
She only has a toaster oven and one of those ovens used for fish that comes with the stove
>>
>>7427418

Assuming op is in Japan it is unlikely the house will have a proper oven.

This drives me mad at home as well. It's not just a safety feature for old people, my stove does it. I've found no way to disable it.
>>
>>7427426

toaster oven is more than sufficient to sear meat. line with foil and put it on hi.

finish in t
>fish oven

dude, you have a grill right there. a fish oven is perfect for steaks. just use that
>>
>>7427426
There should be a button on a pullout cover on the front of the stove that lets you have the gas go to fry フライor have a pic of shrimp tempura.
>>
>>7427414
>Go buy a grille grate and some bricks to stack on which to balance said grate.
>Go to the woods and find dry wood to burn. >Grill the steaks over very hot coals.
>Profit.
>>
>>7427849
If you notice your grandma has big paws, run.
>>
>>7427414
enjoy your bucket of fat; do you not realize there is only about 20% meat in that?
>>
>>7427995
This. Enjoy 50% of that shit steak melting off.

>hurrrrr muh fat flavor, hurrrrr muh marbling, fucking pleb it's good because they said it really was good

Fuck off. The best non meme steak cut is medium rare sirloin. Very little fat actually, yet flavorful and tender. But please, feel free to enjoy your fat flaps.
>>
>>7427414
Tinfoil it and cook it at a lower temp
>>
>>7428045
I prefer a blue new york strip loin. Yum yum
>>
>>7428049
>blue

Fucking piss off already
>>
>>7428055
Raw meat with a hard sear is the true mans food, deal with it you inferior sissy
>>
>>7427414
I live in Japan and have a similar jap stove that will turn off if too hot. There should be a button somewhere on the front that says hold for three seconds to disable the sensor.
>>
File: CAQ1Zi6UcAA1E_N.png (285 KB, 600x317) Image search: [Google]
CAQ1Zi6UcAA1E_N.png
285 KB, 600x317
>>7428081
>eating cold meat

Ok fuck off back to Subway. Meat should be served warm. Unless you enjoy pic related. I'm sure you'd love it, fucking philistine.
>>
>>7427995
>>7428045
don't you dare experiment or try new food yourself OP.
especially when it's only $20.
>>
>>7428096
You high school kids sure are touchy.
>>
>buying memebeef
>>
>>7428087

mine seems to designate one ring as the one for deep fried things, but there is no button of any kind and it shuts itself off whatever I do.

http://www.j-lpgas.gr.jp/en/safety/

after a quick search found this and it confirmed what I thought about it switching off if it either thinks nothing is in the pan or the temperature gets too high. seems to be a legal requirement on all stoves made since 2009. reduced fires by 17.5% as the expense of a few steak loving gaijin. fucking japan.

I wonder if it will still work if I pull the battery out.
>>
>>7427995
>>7428045
>>7428188
confirmed for never having had wagyu
>>
>>7427995
>>7428045
>I'm poor
>I actually think there are "meme cuts"
>>7428136
I pay $20 for skirt, I wonder where op got $20 ribeye. maybe it was about to go bad
>>
>>7428045

>muh marbling

Honestly the worst meme of them all. Visible fat inside the muscle is wrong, tastes horrible and is a product of an overfed, old animal. No wonder the worst food offenders in the world like them so much, they also burn things on charcoal and call it a barbecue.
>>
>>7428708
low quality b8 lad. must try harder.
>>
>>7428709

Not even baiting but I'm glad you're triggered by my comment, since you probably are a tasteless amerifat that eats meat from obese and old animals. I bet your butcher has a cheeky laugh whenever you leave the store with your $40 slab of fat lmao.
>>
>>7428714
even worse. 1/10, best i can do
>>
>>7428720

Ahhh do you hear it? It's the sound of a sore butt.
>>
....and nobody gets it.
good job, /ck/.

Nobody knows how broiler settings work?

tsk tsk.
>>
>>7428731
how do broiler settings work and in what way are they connected to range top burner behavior?

the reason I ask is that it seems like you're confusing the oven temperature controls from the controls that control the level of the flame on the gas burner.
>>
>>7427861
underrated post
>>
>>7428714
nah mate you just sound uneducated and mildly autistic.
>>
File: gyDQoKn.jpg (876 KB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
gyDQoKn.jpg
876 KB, 5312x2988
>>7428681
I've never seen ribeye for 20$. OP probably couldn't tell the difference between sirloin and ribeye because they were so marbled.

You can easily buy 20$ a4 sirloin wagyu
>>
>>7428778
>You can easily buy 20$ a4 sirloin wagyu

If you're talking American "wagyu" then yeah.

If you're talking the real thing at Japanese Grandma's house....hell no. That stuff is like $100/lb if not more.
>>
>>7428779
Did you see the picture I posted? It's 18$ for a A4 Kurowagyu Sirloin steak of decent size, I got it at a Japanese supermarket last time I was visiting. It's the real thing.

I've seen the 100$ a lb price, but only in a specialty butcher in New York that sells wagyu. In Japan Wagyu is pretty affordable. A5 steak's probably cost that much though.
>>
>>7428778
Jesus, the middle one just looks like pure fat.
>>
File: wagyu.jpg (35 KB, 468x356) Image search: [Google]
wagyu.jpg
35 KB, 468x356
>>7428785
>In Japan Wagyu is pretty affordable

It is? This stuff is roughly $150 per kilogram!
>>
File: wagyu2.jpg (471 KB, 627x627) Image search: [Google]
wagyu2.jpg
471 KB, 627x627
>>7428800
And here it's twice that price.
>>
all of these look like steaks I would ignore at the supermarket

What is the appeal of all this fat?
>inb4 muh flayvor
>>
>>7428800
>>7428806
Normal Japanese Black Wagyu that you buy at the supermarket, not Kobe beef or any of those regional specialty wagyu's (which are always gonna be expensive).
>>
>>7428821
"Fat is the vehicle on which flavor travels."
-Reese, Malcolm in the Middle.
>>
>>7428837
"Fat is chewy as fuck"
-Me, 2016
>>
>>7428856
Depends on type of fat. Wagyu fat has a low melting point and will just melt in your mouth.
>>
>>7428856

Fat isn't chewy at all bro. you seem to be confusing fat with gristle.
>>
>>7428878
this, it doesn't behave the same way fat in regular beef does. melts at a really low temperature so when you cook it the inside of your steak stays really juicy but there's little to no visible fat left. it's clever stuff t b h
>>
>>7428045

Dude, I honestly prefer sirloin myself because then I get to use a fucking lot of butter.

Still, you're being a twat.
>>
>>7428714

Are you French?

I'm getting the distinct impression that you're French because those fucking idiots think like you do.
>>
>>7428856
Fat is chewy until it's cooked.

The more fat there is in a cut (marbling) the more you'll need to cook it give it that melt in your mouth tenderness.
If it's a less fatty cut you cook it less to keep the meat tender.
>>
>>7428856

If you have any fat on your body, go ahead and pinch it with your fingers. Notice how soft it is?

Like that other guy said, you're confusing fat with gristle.
>>
Could you seer it in a pan, perhaps?
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.