[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Grocery store sales
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: sale.jpg (50 KB, 280x300) Image search: [Google]
sale.jpg
50 KB, 280x300
When the grocery has sales such as 10/$10, if I wanted to buy just one item, is the cost $1?

What's the best time of the week/month for buying meat/fish?

Any advice or wise "shopper" knowledge appreciated
>>
>>7423337
Unless it specifies something like must buy 10, they will be $1 each and this is usually the case.
>>
>>7423337
I learned this recently.

Unless it says "Must buy 10" then it's a dollar each. Make sure you watch the screen when the cashier is checking it out to make sure it rings up as a dollar though. If it doesn't, mention something and they'll usually either price adjust it or verify the price for you.

Shopper knowledge: shop the sales items only. Using coupons and ibotta is another great way to save.
>>
the holy grail is 1$ a pound boneless skinless chicken breast.
>>
It depends on the store but like others said, usually it doesn't matter how many you buy unless it specifies "must buy X" in the ad.

Slightly related note, I just managed to grab a 10 lb pork shoulder roast for $18 the other day. Felt good.
>>
They sell it at the same price. I work in a grocery store, its a marketing ploy to move more product. We hardly ever advertise the price for a single thing on sale, its always '4 for $2 special, 3 for $1 pick any, etc.'. They do it to trick you into buying more than you need because we got a good deal on it and the price is low, but if you buy less than the specified deal it isnt more expensive per pound or per item.
>>
File: pigeon.webm (3 MB, 720x400) Image search: [Google]
pigeon.webm
3 MB, 720x400
>>7423458
>Shopper knowledge: shop the sales items only. Using coupons and ibotta is another great way to save.

Good tip. Part of the reason sales are are good way to shop is that for produce and meat, the sales occur generally when it is more plentiful (in season). That's why it is like $3-4/lb for peaches in the winter and $1/lb in the summer and apple prices are lower in the autumn vs. the spring when they are being brought in from the southern hemisphere.

As for coupons, just clip as many as you can for the things you normally buy and try to use them when the thing is on sale. Usually buy one get one is the best deal since it is 50% off (and most places don't make you buy two). Of course some places like Publix jack up the price on everything vs. the competition so BOGO is the only real deal there. Your store may also have a website or app that you can digitally clip coupons and then you login when you go there (Kroger, Publix, Meijer, Walgreen's, and others have this).

What you want to be able to do is have coupons from a mailer or from online + store coupon + sale price. Since I love Cinnamon Toast Crunch I will go to Publix when it is bogo and they have a $1 off 2 coupon and when I have a coupon for $1 off three boxes. This means I can get 3 boxes that go for $4 a piece for $4 total. The important thing is that you are buying stuff you would buy anyway. If you buy shit just because it is cheap then you aren't any better off.

As for meat and fish, I only buy marked down stuff if it looks good and I will use it immediately. Fish are seasonal too and unless you live on the coast I would stick with frozen stuff or what you can pull out of a clean source.

One other tip is to go early, especially Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. You have a better shot at markdowns. Also know when the sales end.

Helpful links:
http://mylitter.com/
http://www.iheartpublix.com/
http://thekrazycouponlady.com/category/extreme-couponing/
http://www.coupons.com/
>>
>>7423337
>if I wanted to buy just one item, is the cost $1?

Yes. This is the biggest scam in the grocery industry. Most people think you have to buy 10 to get the sale price.
>>
>>7423337
It really depends on where you live.

My mother and sister live in the suburbs, so they shop what's on sale at the supermarket, buy extra meat on sale and put it in the freezer for future use. That's just smart. My brother lives in a semi rural area where local meat, eggs and in season produce kick the supermarket's ass in terms of quality/price ratio, so he only relies on the supermarket for what he can't get locally.

I live in a city where the Chinese, Mexican and Middle Eastern markets are way better than the supermarket for the things they specialize in, and in season the farmers' markets offer much better veggies than anything I can find at the supermarket for a little more. For vegetables where freshness and heirloom varieties really make a difference it's worth the premium. So most of what I hit the supermarket for is canned tomatoes, California garlic, dried pasta and utility produce.
>>
i go to store once a week, get ad on wednesday and mine does this week and last weeks deals on that day. I head down and plan meals based on the saled.
>>
>>7423337
>When the grocery has sales such as 10/$10, if I wanted to buy just one item, is the cost $1?
At Publix, yes. You don't need to buy 2 to get the 2/$5 rate.
At Winn-Dixie, CVS, Walgreen's. no.

Depends on the store policy.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.