[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright, I know that there aren't many surviving medieval
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: mpix60.gif (7 KB, 359x239) Image search: [Google]
mpix60.gif
7 KB, 359x239
Alright, I know that there aren't many surviving medieval bread recipes, but what styles of bread are distinctly medieval?

I use Ina Garten's soda bread recipe, but that's Irish, and I really like the black bread recipe from the Game of Thrones cookbook, but that's far from authentic. I also have a few realistic medieval cookbooks, but they all have very few if any bread recipes.
>>
Do you "larp"?
>>
>muh authenticity
>>
People didn't eat well back in the day.

Just make a big, crusty boule, and have people tear off pieces with their hands.
>>
>>7413959
Yeah, most peasants didn't actually make a lot of bread in the era. Nor eat a lot of meat. Porridge mad from boiled grains was a feature of almost every meal.

As for bread, at least in England, where most of my studies have occured, bread was very close to what it is today, except they used "warm beer barm". Basically beer that hasn't had the fermentation process halted yet. You can simulate it by using a warm ale and a few yeast packets.

Unfortunately, as most people were illiterate, any recipes we have come from a book of feasts compiled by Richard II's kitchens, or from monasteries. Bread is nothing more than a foot note in either, because there just wasn't a lot of variations of it.
>>
>>7413959
Quickbreads like soda bread are relatively modern inventions from at earliest the colonial era. Yeast breads date back to antiquity, and unleavened flatbreads to the earliest consumption of grain.
>>
Here you go OP

http://www.medievalists.net/2013/07/04/bread-in-the-middle-ages/

>>7413975
Depends which people you're referring to, and when "the day" was. Fashions have changed, as has the accessibility of food to the common people.
>>
>>7413975
Depends, actually. Medieval European diets tended to look a lot like Middle Eastern diets, with differences based on availability of ingredients. But you'd likely have seen a lot of flat breads, beans and other legumes, and locally available vegetables and fruits/berries. Actual medieval diets rarely looked like the Henry VIII feasts you see in every fucking medieval fantasy novel/movie/game ever made. And I don't know why potatoes are fucking everywhere in medieval fantasy. They didn't even know that shit existed. And meat would have been common enough but people wouldn't have been just eating roast pigs, boars, and turkey legs all day erry day.
>>
>>7413959
Dark rye
>>
Idk about medieval but you could probably get some ideas from Victorian era baking. There's a pbs documentary about it up on YouTube that's pretty decent I guess.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.