[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/ck/'s opinion on Soylent? https://www.soylent.com/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 9
File: drink_gallery1.6611ed866d7b.jpg (126 KB, 1120x630) Image search: [Google]
drink_gallery1.6611ed866d7b.jpg
126 KB, 1120x630
/ck/'s opinion on Soylent?

https://www.soylent.com/
>>
http://files.soylent.com/pdf/soylent-nutrition-facts-2-0-en.pdf
>>
i dont even KNOW!!!!!

im a girl btw
>>
i had some for a day and it was unappealing, i'm not sure why it would appeal to anyone on anything other than an idealistic level because it's not that fucking hard to buy a sandwich or make a packed lunch.
>>
>>7408428
it's really stupid
>>
>>7408448
So there is nothing very nutritious about it? I guess if you wanted to be an ascetic or something.
>>
>>7408483

the basic premise of soylent is that you can meet all your daily nutritional needs reliably and simply - you make one set of calculations, produce a formula in the form of a powder, and ship it out. that's smart, on the face of it, but we don't know enough about nutrition to be sure yet, and soylent hasn't undergone enough clinical testing either.

anyway even if soylent is nutritionally sufficient on its own, so is a balanced diet, and i think i'd rather have that because it's delicious.
>>
Why do they name their product 2.0? It's like buying an iphone or something.
>>
>>7408572

that's the point, being at the technological cutting edge is a big part of their marketing
>>
>>7408448
it appeals to people who don't want to bother with taking the time to cook/buy food/make food/eat, but won't give them diabetes or malnutrition (like eating pizzas and fast food all the time or something). like my programmer friend who spends 10+ hours straight on a project before looking up and realizing it's been a day since he's eaten and doesn't have anything and is about to pass out.

he says it has the consistency of cake batter and doesn't taste that bad.

I think it could be useful if they ever mass produce it for impovershed nations, but tunnel vision programmers are where the $$$ is at currently.
>>
>>7408613
Which in turn is simply marketing.
>>
>>7409073
Marketing is a big part of their marketing.
>>
>>7409048

Just throw a frozen dish in the oven, eat some musli with yoghurt to stay conscious and get back to coding for 30 minutes.

Even if you can't be bothered to make large batches of food yourself to freeze there are some decent brands out there.
>>
>>7409121
or just eat soylent
or would that hurt you feelings?
>>
>>7409121
The frozen dish makes costs more, takes time, creates dishes, and wastes electricity. They're also loaded with salt and generally unhealthy.
>>
>>7409121
I've given him similar advice already, and anyway soylent is probably the healthiest and quickest meal out there.

Ideal situation would be if I just cooked healthy meals for him since I love cooking but hate eating.
[spoiler]when will sempai notice me[/spoiler]
>>
File: chen_question.jpg (35 KB, 390x261) Image search: [Google]
chen_question.jpg
35 KB, 390x261
>>7409176
>hate eating
>>
>>7409156

The low sodium meme has been mainstream for a while, so just find some low sodium brand.

Electricity costs bugger fuck all. If it's in aluminum you don't need dishes. Or you can just use plastic.
>>
>>7409189
it is what it is
>>
>>7409205
why the effort though?
>>
>>7409140

No, I'm just saying that malnutrition is a non factor. Since with the level of effort and time investment of frozen pizza and fast food delivery you can eat a balanced diet straight out of the fridge if you really want.

Soylent starts to make sense if you dislike spending time on eating, dislike eating period, or simply don't to wait 30 minutes for it to be ready/delivered.
>>
>>7409048
Does it actually make you feel full?
>>
>>7409247
>Soylent starts to make sense if you dislike spending time on eating, dislike eating period, or simply don't to wait 30 minutes for it to be ready/delivered.

that's basically what I said...

>>7409252
he says it's really filling, but it depends on your appetite, I guess. one serving is like 400kcal I think.
>>
>>7409252
Very. I had a hard time drinking enough to get enough calories.

I wouldn't go full soylent, because I like eating, but it's a good replacement for convenience foods.
>>
I love to cook, but a good bit of the time I'm the kind of guy this is marketed to, especially in the morning.

At the moment my morning solution is a nutribullet, I know, meme blender, but it does what I need it to with no mess.

A couple big carrots a bunch of spinach, a banana and a pear or apple, blend it down, add in some plain yogurt and a bunch of chia seeds to fill the emptied space, blend it again to mix... Slap the lid on it and that is breakfast and lunch for me, takes less than five minutes and carries me all the way to dinner.

Soylent would probably be similar, better balanced and faster, I just have not bothered to order any yet.
>>
>>7409048

but i don't think anyone would actually rather drink unsweetened cake batter than buy a fucking sandwich, i think they just like thinking of themselves as worker machines. your programmer friend is an idiot who should learn to buy a fucking sandwich.
>>
>>7408428
unless u have a pathological hatred towards ur stomach i dont see any other reason to bother with it
>>
I'd consider it instead of for long university days instead of buying the overpriced + shitty food on campus.

I always thought these products were kind of stupid though. The site says it has 1/5th your daily vitamins and minerals, why so low? Why don't they just bite the bullet and do 1/2 or 1/1 your daily requirements per bottle?
>>
File: tedlogan.png (130 KB, 309x240) Image search: [Google]
tedlogan.png
130 KB, 309x240
>>7409091
Whoa!
>>
>>7408428
I'm not trusting my nutritional needs to some engineer who's too lazy to cook.
>>
File: weenie.jpg (4 KB, 125x126) Image search: [Google]
weenie.jpg
4 KB, 125x126
wieners gotta shill
>>
>>7408428
pointless shit for boring manchildren

>but muh convenience

Please end your life.
>>
>>7408506
>we don't know enough about nutrition to be sure yet, and soylent hasn't undergone enough clinical testing either.

This and it was made by an it guy with no nutritional training. He just mixed shit in an abandoned warehouse and tested it on himself until he didn't get terribly sick from ingesting it. Basically you are fucking insane and a test bunny if you buy into this fad.
>>
>>7409176
idk man micro/macro nutrient are still debated on in regards to amounts/optimal/bio-availability

even in hospital settings where your heavily monitored they dont try to get you off of goop food asap bc they think its dangerous
>>
>>7410341
>get you off of goop food asap bc they think its dangerous

That has nothing to do with micro/macro nutrient ratios. Rather it's because any drastic change in diet can be harmful. The bacteria in your intestines adapt to what you eat. Any drastic change to your diet can make you sick if you don't have the relevant bacteria present. It's the same reason why vegetarians can get sick if they suddenly start eating meat (or if a bigtime meat-eater suddenly goes vegan), as well as so-called "traveler's diarrhea" when someone's diet changes radically when they visit a place serving radically different food than they are used to.
>>
>>7410341
You're not supposed to live off of only soylent anyway.
>>
Friend of mine went full soylent. I haven't heard from him in a while but I can't imagine his life is too good right now
>>
>>7410348
oh that makes sense actually i didnt even think about gut flora
>>7410352
>>7410348
i know it says meal supplement but really all the reviews ive seen are people doing full meal replacement
i couldnt ever give up solid food senpai, i dont want to live in the matrix eating goop
>>
>>7410361
those people are idiots who probably think they can transcend to become some kind of robot.

you can't really blame the product if the consumers are misusing it.
>>
>>7410368
>those people are idiots who probably think they can transcend to become some kind of robot.
holy shit spot on, they usually are h+ psychos

youre right though, ill probably try it but maybe ill make some of my own and give it a try for a morning/preworkout type of supplement
i feel they could make it higher quality by using whole food extracts rather then vitamin powder
maybe the 2.0 stuff is better idk
>>
File: image.jpg (80 KB, 1120x630) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80 KB, 1120x630
Just ordered some 2.0, gonna try it out for a few days. Probably not gonna keep buying more but it's an interesting idea so I might as well spend some money and try it out—cheaper than campus food anyway.

Also maybe I'll be able to meet this sexy chick from the website
>>
>>7408428
>being an autistic and missing the cultural value of food
>naming your liquid nutrients soylent and thinking people won't make a connection to soylent green
who was the idiot that made this?
>>
>>7410932

>thinking people won't make a connection to soylent green

what makes you think they did this
>>
>>7410917
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8NCigh54jg

Why would you want to support these people?
>>
>>7410946
I'm just guessing no one would want their product to have a negative connotation.
>>
>>7410953
>being this fucking autistic
it's a tongue in cheek reference to the film, you fucking moron. only a literal minded autist like yourself would ever think "BUT IN DA FILM IT WAS PEOPLE AND DATS BAD SO DAT PRODUCT MUST BE BAD NO THANKS!". people on /ck/ are so fucking dumb sometimes it's like... profound
>>
>>7410963
It's like calling your carrots Judas Iscarrots. It's just dumb. I don't see "Soylent" and think "what a clever reference, I want to buy it!". I see it and get some vague sense that it isn't what it actually is.
>>
>>7410970

>It's like calling your carrots Judas Iscarrots

oh my fucking god this guy
>>
>>7410973
Do you think I'd want to fly with Icarus airline? It's called marketing asshole.
>>
>>7410970
well, luckily their target market isn't brain dead shit posters so they don't really have to worry about you too much. I'll bet half of the people who hear about soylent don't even know who Chuck Heston was, and probably 49 percent that remain don't give a shit about the barely clever title reference either. Then we have people like you, the 1% of special snowflakes who's autism just wont let them get around that big, bad name lol
>>
>>7410980
right, cause the plane is really going to fly to close to the sun and melt. or are you just a "magical thinker" who believes that a company being named something is anything but superficial? christ how do you manage to get dressed each morning? probably with considerable effort and some help...
>>
>>7410991

Clearly the name doesn't literally affect the product, but the fact is that names and appearances affect people's perception of products regardless of how irrational that actually is.
>>
When it becomes available in my country, I would definitely have it for lunch if the price is not too steep.
>>
>>7411027

>he fact is that names and appearances affect people's perception of products

no shit, but you can't just say that and say 'hurr soylent green is people so people will think soylent is bad', marketing firms are not that presumptuous, they use metrics.
>>
>>7408428
Couldn't you just mix some oatmeal, protein powder, a crushed up multivitamin and some water and get essentially the same thing?
>>
>>7408431
Why is there so much more fat than anything else?
>>
>>7410991
that's not what magical thinking is you fucking retard
>>
>>7411043
>hurr soylent green is people so people will think soylent is bad

Not for all people, but for SOME people, yeah you can say that.

>>marketing firms are not that presumptuous, they use metrics.

Sure. but A) they're often wrong. Products bomb all the time despite multimillion-dollar marketing campaigns. and B) Who's to say that there even was a marketing expert involved here? How do we know that the guy who came up with this didn't come up with the name out of some kind of nerd irony without thinking that the general public may (or may not) like it?
>>
>>7411056
Probably because it's cheap, filling, and required nutrition?
>>
>>7411071
Not sure if a 1.5 tablespoons of canola oil is really required nutrition, soylent shill.
>>
>>7411058
that is exactly what it is, you fucking moron. go look up the definition of it if you can manage that by yourself, fucking illiterate.
>>
>>7411095

I'm not shilling anything bro. I think it's stupid as hell. That being said, the reasons why they included fat in there seem pretty obvious.
>>
>>7411071
protein is expensive, carbs increase glycemic index
>>
>>7411067

all i'm saying is that soylent, being an attention-grabbing concept, might have its own advantages as a brand, especially for a startup.
>>
Doesnt soy kill your sexual drive if you take it for long enough?
>>
>>7410987
h+ fag detected. the creator even said "we have to make something man made for people bc there is so many people that need proper nutrients"

so it IS matrix goop food replacement and not just a supplement
which is retarded
>>
>>7413166

that could mean it needs to act as a food supplement for many people.
>>
It tastes like shit and was created by some joyless silicon valley cunt so he could slave away through lunch to afford his $100,000 dollar studio apt.
>>
>>7408428
I'd make my own soylent, to use as a meal substitute in case of being in a hurry. Oat powder, whey protein, dried fruit, dark chocolatr powder, all blended together then mixed with milk/water when needed. But fucking buying overpriced overhyped crap that might actually kill you if you ate only that and nothing else.
>>
>>7408428
Dogshit. Overprived dogshit to be precise.
>>
>>7412036
Probably. The science isn't 100% conclusive yet but its becoming increasingly likely. I'd say the majority academic opinion is that it does reduce libido with enough consumption. No idea how much that would be however, but within normal dietary range
>>
>>7408428
i'd eat it if it were cheaper and more convenient then traditional food.

but it's neither right now. so fuck that.
>>
File: joylent-powder-1.jpg (135 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
joylent-powder-1.jpg
135 KB, 1000x667
I prefer Joylent, since it comes in different flavors.

In general, I love the concept. There isn't always time to preper a meal, and for those times it's perfect: when travelling, at work or when you just can't be bothered to cook.
It's definitely preferable to instant noodles or pizza imo.
>>
File: 1441986580141.gif (2 MB, 352x370) Image search: [Google]
1441986580141.gif
2 MB, 352x370
I actually knew someone who ate only ate soylent (until he ran out)

He was legitimately a neet, his brother told me his reasons for only eating soylent.

-takes too much effort to cook
-eating is a waste of time
-it often times is a social event (he went full shut in mode, so less reasons to interact with others)

Why take away time from your vidya when you don't have to?
>>
>>7414121
>There isn't always time to preper a meal

That doesn't require some kind of foul tasting "complete nutrition product". Just grab some leftovers and go.
>>
>>7414131
Yeah I always carry leftovers on me when travelling
>>
>>7414148

And how often do you have the problem where you're traveling and there's no food available? Airports, train stations, and you know...cities are packed with food options. And just as you might bring that godawful slop from home, you could bring something else. Are you planning on taking this crap camping or something?
>>
>>7414186
In terms of convenience just needing to add water still beats all the other options you are listing.

Doesn't mean I always do it, but it sure is a nice option to have.
>>
>>7414192

Yeah, I can see it's convenient. But is that all you really care about? Wouldn't you rather try out some local joint when you're traveling rather than drinking that stuff?
>>
>>7414217
Sure I prefer something like that, but just not three times a day, which gets way to expansive imo
>>
>>7414013
Plus your recipe sounds more healthy because it is real food, rather than the factory processed stuff in soylent.
>>
>>7408428
Soylent is one of the most effective ways to say you've given up on living I've seen beyond a dakimakura
>>
>>7410970
>Judas Iscarrots
Now that's good marketing
>>
>>7414931

literally everything in his post is factory processed
>>
>>7415065
Nigger what. You can make dried fruit with handpicket stuff from that tree down the road, same goes for oats oowdee you can make them using organic oats and the like. You could even obtain whey from local guy
>>
Jewlent is disgusting. Bad shill! Bad!
>>
>>7408428
IT'S PEOPLE!
>>
>>7411099
no it fucking isn't
>>
Is it made out of people?
>>
>>7415972

you *could* dry your own fruits, mill your own oats and make your own whey powder. but then your house would pretty much be a fucking factory.
>>
>>7414943
They've only given up on your particular idea of living.
>>
>>7416009
SILENT GREEN IS MADE OF PEOPLE
>>
I don't understand what some of you guys aren't getting. It's a meal replacement with no effort but isn't all that terrible for your body.
It's not made to replace food it's just a fast, cheap and effective replacement.
>>
I fell for the meme and it tasted horrible, I should put some overnight since I've heard it makes it taste better but holy shit I struggled to drink a cup of it
Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.