[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pressure COoker KIdney Beans
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
Have any of you used a pressure cooker to cook kindey beans from raw (unsoaked). I read online it takes 25 minutes. I made a chili with the beans in my pressure cooker and had it at pressure for 45 minutes, and they aren't tender yet...
>>
>>7405093
?
>>
this janitor asshole is getting out of hand. Simply Sara is a fucking cook.

anyway OP are you saying you made chili, added dry beans to it in a pressure cooker and they're not cooked after 45 minutes at 15lbs?

if so a) your cooker is broken or b) you're doing it wrong and c) you're supposed to rehydrate and cook the beans separately from the chili
>>
>>7405353
a) I don't think my cooker is broken. THe pressure thing still seems to be working

b/c) I think it didn't work because I was cooking the beans from raw in the chili itself, with the tomato paste/sauce and other ingredients...
>>
you really shouldnt pressure cook dry beans. there is no cheating when it comes to dried beans. low and slow *tips fedora*
>>
>>7406818
YOur shift key seems broken too.

Kidney beans do take about 40 mins in a pressure cooker, but you should use 3 cups of water per 1 cup of beans.

The mistake you made was adding it into your chili with meat/sauce/onions etc.

I cook beans in my pressure cooker all the time, you can freeze them once done so when you need a small portion all you need to do is reheat it.
>>
1) they could easily have been old beans. If they've been sitting around too long then they take longer than normal to cook.

2) When you were timing your pressure cooker you didn't start the clock until it fully came up to pressure, right?
>>
Yes. Many times. And, other than chickpeas, I seldom ever soak dried beans, neither when cooking by pressure nor boiling normally. I don't understand Brit-descended cultures' need to soak all dry beans every single time.

However, if you find that your beans are still hard after pressure cooking, try this: soak them overnight in lye-spiked water then wash them super-duper well before using. If you don't have access to lye, try bicarb/baking soda. You can use bicarb straight or you can bake the bicarb in the oven to strengthen its alkalinity, thereby strengthening its ability to soften your beans.
Where I'm from, we soak dry chickpeas in lye-water to soften them and occasionally soak super-tough dry beans the same way. Like... if I buy a pack of kidney beans and forget about them for a while and they become old and tough, I'll soak them in lye-water overnight before using.
>>
>>7406912
you should try canning them
>>
>>7406906
kidney beans + low temp=poison

i replied. are you happy now?
>>
>>7406978
>I don't understand Brit-descended cultures' need to soak all dry beans every single time.

Clearly it's not strictly necessarily to soak the beans, but it does help in a few ways:
1) Beans take longer to hydrate (soak up water) than they do to actually cook. Therefore it makes sense to get a head start on the soaking; it gives a better texture.
2) Soaking the beans and then discarding the soak water removes some of the chemicals that can result in flatulence
3) It reduces the cooking time

..so why not soak them? it's not as if it takes any effort to dump them in a bowl of water.
>>
>>7407018
Still, it seems that only Brit-descended cultures soak beans/pulses. I've seen some of you people here on /ck/ recommend that others soak lentils and split beans (such as split grams, split peas and even split lentils). Lentils cook in thirty minutes and need no soaking. What's the reason there, then?
>>
>>7407005
I'll check it out, I need some equipment for that I guess
>>
>>7406912
THank you!
>>
>>7406961
>2) When you were timing your pressure cooker you didn't start the clock until it fully came up to pressure, right?

correct

>>7407014
well, it was boiling. so certainly not low temperature
>>
File: canned tomato.jpg (36 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
canned tomato.jpg
36 KB, 450x450
Dude, can someone explain about all the canned tomato products in the grocery storey.

canned diced
stewed
tomato sauce
tomato paste
tomato puree

wtf.... so many things. what do you use for what?
>>
>>740873>>7408738
>>7408738

Sauce you use as a sauce. Paste you add to non tomato-based sauces and soups to give some flavor. It's roasted and more intense than normal tomatoes. The others you use to make your own tomato sauces from scratch.
>>
>>7408738
stewed tomatoes = soft, slightly sweeter than just canned/diced because they've been cooked, good for chili or casseroles

tomato sauce is just tomato paste that is thinned out with water, salt, and sugar. you should cook with tomato paste and not sauce so you can control how much sugar and salt you're putting into your dish, but you could use sauce if you're lazy.

tomato puree = tomato paste that hasn't had as much moisture taken out of it. sometimes you can find seasoned tomato puree but tomato paste is almost always unseasoned.
>>
>>7408622
No PRoblem
>>
>>7408738
Here's what you can use tomato sauce for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7Md4YR75qU
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.