[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I recently came in to possession of 4 frozen blue shark steaks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: TSL-2014-01-BLUE-SHARK-STEAK.jpg (162 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
TSL-2014-01-BLUE-SHARK-STEAK.jpg
162 KB, 800x533
I recently came in to possession of 4 frozen blue shark steaks and I don't know what to do with them. Google searching seems inconclusive with some people saying it's inedible and some saying you have to wrap them in a towel over night. Anyone got any experience in what to do with these?
>>
Sous vide
>>
mercury man: origins
>>
>>7399747
> you have to wrap them in a towel over night

What, exactly, is this meant to accomplish? Is it supposed to absorb the moisture and make it EXTRA dry? Is it supposed to keep the moisture close to the meet? Or is it one of those retarded chinese secrets like grinding tigers into boner pills
>>
Hit them with some fresh cracked salt and pepper, and pan fry them with red onion, rosemary, and olive oil. Garnish with green onions and tomato slices.
>>
File: 1404515274231.gif (75 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
1404515274231.gif
75 KB, 1200x1200
>>7399809
>>
>>7399805
Apparently they hold an ungodly amount of water and they'll be swimming in water once they defrost but you still have to wrap them in a towelnin the fridge and in the morning the towel is literally drenched
>>
>>7399747
throw them away unless the person knew how to drain piss from flesh
>>
>>7400070
They're in a commercial packet so I'm guessing that was taken care of
>>
>>7399747
>blue shark steaks
Bait?

Throw it out. No one should have filleted it in the first place. Catch and release. It's inedible. People who fish don't eat steak for a reason. It's craptastic, and it's apex predator mercury filled. You came by it free, so no cost to throw it out.
>>
>>7399805
>Is it supposed to absorb the moisture and make it EXTRA dry?
I think the rationale is the deadly levels of urea content, which tastes like straight ammonia. It's more a technique for consuming skate/rays, but you're not making some hakerl here. Just throw it away. No one is starving enough to put time and ingredients into hiding food flavors that was free to begin with.
>>
>>7400124
So don't eat any shark?
>>
>>7400135
I ate shark in my travels to mexico and it was delicious. But I don't know what kind of shark it was it was a bit fishy but a firm texture and actually quite pleasant. You do have to have a knack for eating fish otherwise it could be a bit overwhelming.
>>
>>7400142
Well I'll try anything and I actually like things like tilapia which ck seems to universally condemn so I'll prolly give it a go
>>
>>7400082
you said they soaked a towel overnight.
>>
File: Endmyfuckinglifefam.jpg (12 KB, 251x241) Image search: [Google]
Endmyfuckinglifefam.jpg
12 KB, 251x241
>>7400171
Learn to read lmao.

He said he HEARD of people wrapping it up, but he got it pre-packaged and has no idea how to cook it.

Throw it away OP
>>
>>7400171
I didn't, people online did
>>
>>7400184
Just seems a waste though. Is there seriously no way to salvage these?
>>
>>7400135
>So don't eat any shark?
Don't eat it. It's the most toxic polluted meat in the whole of the oceans. It's also one of the most fragile to freezing or not consuming very fresh.

The issue with tilapia is being farm raised in eco-destructive ways, and having water with access to DDT and other contaminated soil runoff. It's not about the taste of that meat that ck frowns upon, but the bigger picture of the above, as well as a diet that is kind of lacking in the things that makes fish a healthy meal in the first place. Of course a pretty strong argument can also be made about reasons not to commercially farm sharks at all, and participating in that industry by an occasional purchase here and there. It adds up.
>>
>>7400142
>You do have to have a knack for eating fish
What
>>
>>7400197
I would honestly not fuck with it, while all these Anons claiming MERCURY LOLOL, Its actually pretty true, I wouldnt doubt atleast one of those Steaks has some level of mercury.

Im not even sure how you acquired them, but if you really don't know how to cook and prepare it, just chuck em. Its shark, there's probably all kinds of little annoyances you have to do.
>>
>>7400135
Small ones very fresh and well-bled can be okay at best. Frozen shark meat is worthless. Big sharks are not tasty, and have all the bio accumulation problems present in large predators.
>>
>>7400441
What about crocodiles?
>>
>>7399747
make hakarl
>>
>>7400463
As far as I know, farmed crocodiles are generally fed meat from land animals so they wouldn't have mercury.
>>
>>7399747
shark breaks down super fast from all the ammonia build up. I've only ever had it fresh from the water within a day. it goes bad in about 3. regardless I've never had blue shark but normally I just salt and blacken it and treat it like a tuna steak. that's how they taste anyway. it's a cool food but nothing to get wet over. you can try marinating them but I still haven't found anything worth doing over salt and blacken season with lime or lemon squeeze.

source: fisherman + caught and eaten like 6 dusky sharks this year
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.