[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is cooking with extra virgin olive oil bad?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4
File: 10611-2[1].jpg (78 KB, 334x500) Image search: [Google]
10611-2[1].jpg
78 KB, 334x500
Is cooking with extra virgin olive oil bad?
>>
it has a low smoke point.
>>
>>7396714
For you.
>>
>>7396710
They say it is, but I cook with it sometimes, and the world doesn't seem to end. Just turn the heat down a bit.
>>
absolutely not. It depends on what ingredients you cook...
>>
>try to buy olive oil twice last week
>both times bought extra virgin by mistake because I was tired after work

now I have 2.5 litres of extra virgin olive oil.
>>
>>7396710
Of course not. Sometimes I sip on a bottle of olive oil while I cook.
>>
>>7396785
Ehhh
>>
File: IMAG0514.jpg (1 MB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0514.jpg
1 MB, 2688x1520
OK for low heat like sauteed onions or spinach and alike. Never, ever use for high heat applications like searing a steak or any kind of meat, really (except maybe brushing the surface of a roast to make it brown faster but this is a guess).

Basically, when I was a pleb who rarely cooked I bought some fancy extra virgin oil because I just thought that all oils did the same thing and I couldn't understand why my stainless steel pan would always end up blacker than the midnight sky when I was done cooking. Then /ck/ taught me that extra virgin is best suited to colder dishes like salads.

Thanx again, /ck/.
>>
>>7396710
Regular oil is for cooking in, extra virgin is for cooking with.
>>
Cooking with olive oil in general is bad.
It takes on an unplsent taste when cooked.
/ck/ will disagree with me but fuck you guise
>>
I use canola for pretty much all cooking.
>>
>>7396710
Deep frying is, but it's usable for pan frying unless you cook at way too high a heat. It doesn't taste as good as butter, lard, or coconut oil, however.

>>7398852
Gross.
>>
what oil for making fried rice with?
>>
File: 20160220_223729.jpg (66 KB, 436x581) Image search: [Google]
20160220_223729.jpg
66 KB, 436x581
RATE this salad, /ck/

Ingredients:

> Iceberg lettuce.
> Chopped onions.
> Minced garlic.
> Prosciutio.
> Chipotle hot sauce.
>>
>>7398872
I find sesame oil tastes best for fried rice.
>>
>>7398877
10/10 would throw into my trash can.
>>
>>7398877
4/10
>>
>>7398867
Frying with butter always smells like vomit to me.
>>
File: jamie olive oil.jpg (82 KB, 900x636) Image search: [Google]
jamie olive oil.jpg
82 KB, 900x636
>>7396710
No, it's great for cooking with. Why would you even think that?
>>
>>7398877
Looks sad desu can't even seen the ingredients and a pathetic portion
>>
>>7398877
>Iceberg lettuce.
You fell at the first hurdle mate.
>>
>>7396710
Ive been using extra virgin olive oil for literally everything for three months....
>>
>>7399110
Why? Is lard and peanut oil really that expensive where you are?
>>
Olive oil has a distinct taste that works with some stuff.. like bread and tomato sauce and some veggies. I tend to use it when it makes sense as an ingredient.

For frying at any kind of temperature or when I just don't want something to stick, I tend to use peanut or sesame oil.
>>
Is there anything wrong with sunflower oil?
>>
>>7398974
Because you're burning it. Burnt butter is bad.
>>
How does /ck/ feel about safflower oil?

How about grapeseed oil?
>>
>>7398902
This but the first time I tried it, I used WAYY too much sesame oil and my whole house smelled like a dirty wok for the rest of the day
>>
I'd probably recommend mixing it with canola or a high smoke point oil. Otherwise your just burning all the good flavor out if you heat it at medium and higher.
>>
>>7399269
Grapeseed oil is the shit. It's cheap, healthy, and has a high smoke point (420 F).

Best oil I have cooked with, I swear. Safflower oil is great too; you can fry with that shit forever and sear the shit out of a steak in cast iron (510 F smoke point) and not worry about it getting too gummy.
>>
>>7396710
I do everything with olive oil besides frying. My mother insists to fry with it, I'm like "No ma,stop being etnoculinarynationalistic". Sometimes I even use butter, she never does.
>>
Best oil for deep frying?

I tend to just go with vegetable oil. My understanding is they blend it for high smoke points.
>>
I use EVOO for cooking, I just like the metaphor. The flavour being burnt off expensive oil, I feel it represents the high income I'm on and being able to spend it any way I wish.
>>
>>7399315
Safflower is my day to day cooking oil. That's why I was asking.

I knew it was good for high heat cooking, just never realised how high lol.
>>
>>7399527
High smoke point, shelf stability, and mild flavour

>>7399536
It's not burnt off though, it's burnt in. In your food.
>>
>>7396714
>Extra virgin
>195°C
No it doesn't
>>
>>7399117
I dont like lard and peanut oil is good, I used that before olive oil. I actually prefer olive oil for flavor on pan fried food. I do a lot of pasta too so its just always there.
>>
>>7396785
Extra virgin is the only stuff worth buying. Any recipes you need it for should be EV and if you want it just for frying you are better with vegetable oil
>>
>>7398877
>iceberg lettuce
You mispelled water
>>
>>7399527
beef fat
>>
>>7396795
Ok Jamie oliver

>>7396785
>>7400533
Extra virgin olive oil is a meme, italian here
>>
I really don't cook things in oil anymore

Hydrogenated oils have been shown to cause what is commonly termed the "double deadly effect", raising the level of LDLs and decreasing the level of HDLs in the blood, increasing the risk of blood clotting inside blood vessels.[34]

plus olive oil is for dressings and marinades or as the one guy put it, "cooking with" not "cooking in"
>>
>>7400869
this
French fries in lard is the best way to go
>>
>>7396718
nah he seems bretty big
>>
>>7400904
>jamie oliver
there is nothing wrong with using lots of olive oil

it is objectively the best cooking oil
>>
>>7398877
at least you ate a salad 7/10
>>
I use coconut oil.

Olive oil is a pretty obvious scam. My uncle is full-blown first generation Sicilian here in the US. He gets the real olive oil from his relatives and it's not at all the same shit we get here. It's a fucking racket.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.