[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
bread bread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (471 KB, 612x916) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
471 KB, 612x916
So I just watched episode 3 of pic related (another excellent cooking series after Chef's table, starting to really love these) and they were making a point about how making bread without yeast might be more nutritious or at least more genuine because it allows for a more complex fermentation or something.

So my question is, have any of you ever tried making bread without yeat and what are your experiences?
>>
>no yeast
>fermentation

Were they talking about wild yeast or something?
>>
>>7393936

They mean sourdough based breads most likely. In sourdough you use the natural yeast in air and flour to ferment a starter dough, and use parts of it to ferment your bread dough.

They're a lot of effort, but the result is better flavor and crumb I've gotten with commercial yeast.

Can't be arsed to put in the effort though, since by most recipes you'd need to feed your starter twice a day and I've had it go bad even then during summer months.
>>
>>7393936
have not tried but as far as I understand, you can do it but its gonna be really really tough bread, unless its really thin, like in the doner kebab
>>
I once tried to make tortillas using a recipe that was flour and water.
It was shit and I ate my tacos on sandwich bread like the poor white trash I am.
>>
>>7394018
You're supposed to use lard, not water.
>>
>>7394040
It probably had a fat in it. Shortening or butter.

I don't remember the recipe but I do remember it didn't use yeast, because my bread making knowledge/skills are pretty shit and I questioned it being possible to make bread without it.

I know now that it is possible and that I probably just fucked up somewhere, because I made potstickers a few months later and they came out fine.
>>
>>7394040
You need a fat source AND water for tortillas.

Basic tortilla recipe: Flour, lard (usually down south), water, salt, baking soda (some don't use it)
>>
>>7394064
Tortillas aren't supposed to have yeast in them. Flour tortillas usually have baking powder in them for leavening.
>>
>>7393960
I have a starter that's been going for a long time. Once you get it established (about a week of 2x daily feedings) you can refrigerate it and feed it only once a week because the yeasts become dormant.

The best way to make bread is to use a levian, i.e. start the dough with a piece of dough from the previous batch. I've gotten good results from 12-15 hour starters using only a pinch of yeast, flour and water before though.
>>
>>7394091
>baking soda

Baking powder. Not soda.
>>
>>7394099
>you can refrigerate it

do you let it get to room temp before mixing it in the dough or can you use it straight out the fridge?
>>
>>7394095
Yes I know. That's the point I tried to make. Before then I had never heard of making any sort of bread product without yeast. I had always been told that bread is made with yeast. I had never seen a bread recipe that didn't use yeast. My grandmothers never made bread without yeast. Loaves, rolls, and flatbreads.

Then I learned that it was a thing and failed miserably.
>>
You sound like you really love cooking OP

Tell me your life story
>>
File: image.jpg (55 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55 KB, 640x480
They also claimed that whole grain breads are pretty much useless and not as healthy as percieved because they're not 'fermented' properly either.

I liked the show but I have a feeling that's a load of crap, can anybody clear that up.
>>
>>7394272
I do.

Not much to tell. I had an average childhood, I was a bit slow in school at first but turned it around and made it through high school decent enough.

Then something went terribly wrong and now I'm full NEET mode. Not much going on except doing a diet atm to quit being a fat fuck.

I'm basically a living stereotype of the average 4chan user but minus the radical mindset which is why I love more casual boards like /ck/.

How are you anon, hope you're doing fine.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.