[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
James Townsend and Son Thread Any of you watch his videos?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 10
File: towsend.png (494 KB, 785x551) Image search: [Google]
towsend.png
494 KB, 785x551
James Townsend and Son Thread

Any of you watch his videos? This channel is a fucking treasure trove.

https://youtu.be/tVuWJ54CjpE
>>
>>7380831
good for merican stuff, shit for info on cuisine of relevant parts of the world
>>
>>7380841
Shitskin detected
>>
>>7380847
I meant France, Prussia, Russia, and the like
>>
I thought Townsend was a reenactment costuming company
>>
>>7380850
>Russia

>prussia doesn't even exist anymore

Go troll elsewhere idiot
>>
File: 1454395056EoHkc.jpg (112 KB, 550x636) Image search: [Google]
1454395056EoHkc.jpg
112 KB, 550x636
>>7380850
Dude, the US is very powerful and an important country. Learning about the foods the first European settlers made is pretty damn interesting. It's not like anyone but royalty ate gourmet fucking meals ever at that time.
>>
>>7380850
>and the like

Go away angie
>>
>>7380866
>prussia
>not relevant during the reign of Fredrick the Great and the Seven Years War
>russia
>not relevant as an emerging power during the 18th century
Go troll somewhere else idiot
>>7380869
>colonial US
>relevant
>>7380872
t. juan pablo
>>
>>7380831
he looks like alan matthews from boy meets world
>>
>>7380831
This isn't new, you only just discovered it?
/ck/ had an obsession phase with it a few years back.
>>
i feel like he is classically trained but still prefers realism to gourmet. youll notice he is fully willing to use simple flours and only use salt if it wouldve been realistically use at the time. but every so often you notice a professional level of technique that suggests a past life. being said i do think he hollywood edits to maintain an illusion for example all his utensils are ye' olde but sometimes when he is required to whisk, he'll edit before and after, suggesting he used modern utensils within the lost time.

i still enjoy the simplicity of his endeavor and i believe knowledge of history regarding any subject leads to a much higher level of comprehension than picking up the subject at its modern iteration. so while i know most of the recipes shown are likely very simple or bland, the empirical nature of the show is top level
>>
>>7381315
A+ analysis sir, and I don't even cook, just lurk
>>
>>7381232
We're talking about god damn food here, not your stormweenie power fantasies
>>
I always get taken aback by how jarring it is to hear him plugging his facebook when he's being all 18th century. Great channel, though.
>>
The cooking isn't that exciting but the videos are enjoyable because the dude is a born presenter.
>>
>>7382080
God you people are a cancer.
>>
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 320x213) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 320x213
Nah, Hank from Twin Peaks. I think he was on Dexter with same name.
>>
File: holodets (2).jpg (224 KB, 720x479) Image search: [Google]
holodets (2).jpg
224 KB, 720x479
>>7380850

>Russian Cuisine

I'll pass, thanks.
>>
>>7382080
Marie-Antoine CarĂªme, who lived in the same time period, created far more and is far more relevant and influential to cuisine as a whole. You're a nigger for continuing this argument when I never even outright disliked the channel. It's entertaining and I've been subed for a year now after I saw him here
>>
>>7381232
>>>/int/
>>
I am periodically entertained by these videos. I rate them Good/10.
>>
Love them to death. the recipes are horrifying but he's in it to win it 110% with the reenactor shit. i trust him with my life

Seriously in my unironic top ten of youtube ppl
>>
this channel is great, thanks op

you are not a fag today
>>
>>7380831

https://youtu.be/ckELeAo-Lzo?t=2m14s

"Bake" ;)
>>
>>7384277
I reiterate.
>>
I hate that he never really shows off the food too well but the editing and atmosphere of it all is comfy as hell
>>
>ye olde timey set, foods, techniques
>plugs his Facebook and Youtube subscriptions at the end

Someone needs to tell this guy about immersion.

>>7384358
His enunciation could be better as well.
>>
File: sleep.jpg (87 KB, 955x512) Image search: [Google]
sleep.jpg
87 KB, 955x512
>>7384358
>>7382650
>you're gonna LOVE this
He's the comfiest man alive today
>>
>>7384391
>bitching about the advertising
Somebody has to pay the bills, Bernie
>>
I've considered making the mushroom ketchup before. The mushroom salt by product seems like enough to make it worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERWr8la3Y_M
>>
File: missing the point.jpg (7 KB, 470x412) Image search: [Google]
missing the point.jpg
7 KB, 470x412
>>7384594
>>
Remembered seeing the re enactment stuff when I was looking up Pemmican. Good educational watch.
>>
>>7384391
>immersion

He stops every three minutes to tell you how you can skip a step by using a blender in your own kitchen, or to go watch another video about brick ovens while you set your actual oven to 375° or set up your electric dehumidifier.
>>
>>7384624
>still bitching
>>
Fuggen nice
t. Subscribed for his vids for long time
>>
>>7380831
Not even 'Murrican, but I would like to try some of the shit he cooks.
>>
very comfy
>>
>>7380831
Entertaining but as he fucks up both the recipes and history of the few recipes I have seen him make of items from my country, it throws the belief in accuracy off for everything else.
>>
>>7385713
which country is that? IIRC he only does Colonial and post revolution American reenactment

I super want the knives he sells
>>
>>7380853
It is, but he demonstrates a lot of his things for sale on his cooking show
>>
>>7386163
He has done two for the UK, which makes sense in itself due to the overlap between the two. He made Welsh rarebit and scotch eggs. The recipes and history behind them were both wrong.
>>
>>7385713
>>7386163
>>7387041
yep
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9LKfr23mCo
Just watched this, history wasn't off, but he made a damn soup. The guy is entertaining, but he really fucked this one up. Frumenty is a porridge, should be much thicker than what he had
>>
The subject material is interesting, but the delivery just isn't doing it for me.
>>
>>7383269
Stormweenie shit is cancer. Prussia should never be brought up in a fucking cooking board when the country didn't even exist for long, nor did any of Germany's greatest cuisines come from that shithole, especially in the short time it existed.

Minga is superior.
>>
File: kn-173.jpg (25 KB, 150x712) Image search: [Google]
kn-173.jpg
25 KB, 150x712
Looks like a pretty sweet knife, but I'm calling BS on them being hand-made in the US at the sub-$60 price point.
>>
>>7387479

precut blanks and handles, probably costs $13 in materials and takes 20 minutes to make one and polish the handles on a sander, but the rounded grip is a really nice extra step
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN03MUqeUa4

>>7387041

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGtbcqFXV4Y

what did he fuck up? it looks like these are from original source recipes so they might be a fair bit off from a modern version
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUYgguMz1qI

>Buzzfeed for the 18th century
>>
File: cyborg man memes me up.jpg (59 KB, 773x536) Image search: [Google]
cyborg man memes me up.jpg
59 KB, 773x536
>>7387887
>YOU WON'T BELIEVE HOW WELL NUMBER 1 WORKS!
>>
>>7387456
No, you tumblrinas coming to 4 fucking chan and complaining about racism are a fucking cancer.

You shit up every board.
>>
>>7387709
The original recipe for scotch eggs is well known as they were made by Fortnum & Mason of London relatively recently as a snack for the gentry on long carriage rides.

I don't know where he is getting "Scottish" eggs from as a name, they aren't and never have been called or associated with Scotland.

His recipe doesn't include the breadcrumbs and he baked them instead of frying them.

These are all things every kid in Britain knows and it's even on the Wiki page so him saying the history is a mystery and making all of these changes while attributing them to another country just raises my suspicions of everything else he does.

I'm not shitting on the man, I still watch his videos, but there is always that doubt now.
>>
>>7388441
Take it to another board, nigger.
>>
>>7388453
Ugh, I can't, just ugh.
>>
>>7388447

So he used an original recipe in the scotch egg video which is from 1808 and he goes into all kinds of detail about the choices he made.

http://savoringthepast.net/2014/07/01/scotch-eggs/

so maybe your parents lied to you?
>>
>>7381308
>/ck/ had an obsession phase with it a few years back.

When, exactly? Not OP but I've been here almost daily for about 6 or 7 years and never saw anything about it. And 8 years ago is not "a few years back". Or I somehow missed it. Liking it so far.
>>
>>7387041
>>7385713
>>7380850
>>7388447
Attention all retarded Eurocucks:

Nobody gives a fuck about the foreign pedigree of the dishes he's making, and THAT'S NOT THE POINT OF HIS CHANNEL.

He does *strictly* historically accurate american colonial era adaptations of recipes from your shithole country. If colonial americans were shitting in bowls and calling it porridge, then that's what he'd do because that's what his channel is about and that's what his business is built on. He sources real cookbooks from the era and follows the recipes as closely as he can.

It's unbelievable how this needs to be explained to you idiots.
>>
>>7380831
Based
>>
>>7383875
damned good show...and HOT!
as in the girls were hot.
>>
The "spice kit" he occasionally uses is the field seems awfully farby.
>>
>>7391403

IIRC he bases it off a few historical examples but definitely takes some liberties here and there
>>
>>7389570
>So he used an original recipe in the scotch egg video which is from 1808

Except as I and even the link you posted, show they were from nearly a century earlier and from Fortnum & Mason of London.

He made the recipe incorrectly and gave false history and even fucked up the name, as I have previously stated.

What is difficult for you to understand here?
>>
File: Really nigger.jpg (8 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Really nigger.jpg
8 KB, 250x250
>>7390301
Oh look, the clappyfats are shitposting in yet another thread. How out of the ordinary.
>>
>>7392684
implying anyone other than americans should be partaking
>>
>>7392684
how is it shitposting to point out the fucking obvious? Or were you just triggered by Eurocuck
>>
>>7380831
this shit is cool af
>>
I wish he would make some historical bushcraft style videos like the ones about his oven
>>
>>7392680
>"an original recipe"
not
>"the original recipe"

Reading comprehension is key.
>>
File: boxxy_trollin.png (123 KB, 750x600) Image search: [Google]
boxxy_trollin.png
123 KB, 750x600
>>7392680

have an Elder Meme for your efforts, padawan
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.