[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'd hate to make yet another pizza thread but can /ck/ help
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: sadpizza.jpg (4 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
sadpizza.jpg
4 MB, 2448x3264
I'd hate to make yet another pizza thread but can /ck/ help troubleshoot what went wrong with my pizza crust? It turned out real sticky and kinda salty. I thought salt wicks out moisture? Anyway, heres the recipe

3/4 cups (6 ounces) lukewarm water
1 teaspoon active-dry or instant yeast
2 cups (10 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
thyme

I diluted the yeast in the warm water and mixed it with my dry ingredients. I let it rise for about 30 hrs but I never put it in the fridge because it's winter and it's cold enough in my kitchen. Dough turned out really sticky even with all the extra flour I incorporated.
>>
>>7380546
>I thought salt wicks out moisture?

?
>>
>>7380561
I just meant if I did put too much salt, I was kind of expecting my dough to not be as wet as it was.
>>
>>7380569
if you pour salt into water, the water is still there.

Salt draws moisture out of something if their is a water potential difference but that's not the case inside an isolated dough.
>>
>>7380546
You should have used 2.25 cups of flour at least and you probably over poured the water. Also, add 2 TB of oil

Salt is irrelevant to moisture
>>
>>7380546
If it was sticky, there was too much water/not enough flour. If it was too salty, there was too much salt.

Use either more flour or less water and less salt.
>>
>>7380596
The problem was, after wroking the dough into a ball it wasn't wet at all. It was smooth, a little tacky but not overly wet.

>>7380584
Pouring the water makes a difference? The recipe I was loosely following mentioned that but I had started mixing the dry ingredients in the metal bowl and wanted to keep it there. If I add the oil in the dough will I still need to brush it on the dough before putting the sauce?

>>7380577
Okay, thanks man
>>
File: 1449179263089.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
1449179263089.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
>yet another pizza thread

It sounds like you might have overworked it or let it proof too long, and then maybe didn't make it thin enough to fully cook through in a home oven.

Also salt helps to retain moisture.
>>
>>7380630
I considered about proofing it too long. I'm honestly not sure about exactly how much of the ingredients were put because I wasn't the one putting the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl. I'm thinking my sister actually may have overseasoned it. I also tried to roll it out as thin as I could but it got stuck on the cookie sheet i was rolling it out on and got the shape messed up upon transferring to the stone
>>
>2 cloves garlic, minced
>thyme
no need for pizza dough, though
>>
>>7380931
It would make it tastier.
Eat your crusts, Molly.
>>
>>7380932
>tastier
nah
cause bad fermentation
if you want spices, add in sauce or as toppings
>>
>>7380931
I only added them in because I looked at about recipes and more than half added garlic in their crust. It did make for a taster crust but I think it messed with the dough rising
>>
>>7380611
I meant you used probably too much water

if it wasn't overly wet, then what was the problem? Did you even try to use the dough in the oven?
>>
>>7380965
What do you mean by use the dough?

Something happened during the rising of the dough that made it overly wet, is the only thing I can think of. I noticed that it was stating to get extra shiny right around the 9th hr of letting it rest.
>>
>>7380970

Did you really kneed it once and then just let it sit out for 30 hours without touching it?
>>
>>7380970
did you end up using to make a fucking pizza
>>
>>7380546
>I thought salt wicks out moisture?
>>
>>7380978
Yes, the photo was the result of it. Excuse me if I don't understand you the first time english is not my native tongue dude.

>>7380977
Yeah. I didn't think it was wise to disturb the process. Dough is new territory for me.

>>7380985
I know, that was a stupid assumption.
>>
>>7380990

>english is not my native tongue

I'm pretty sure English isn't that anon's native tongue either, because I wasn't sure what he was trying to say.
>>
>>7380996
Good, I thought I was the only one
>>
>>7380990
oh got ya, that makes sense

Yeah, You need to knead it VERY much and only let it rise a couple of hours in my experience
>>
>>7381009
I didn't notice it rise too much until after the 4th hour. So I need to reduce my time to about 4 to 5 hrs then use the dough? And okay, I knead it enough to form the ball then let it rest. Most of the kneading was done after the dough rose and i was shaping it into a circle... Which was unnecessary because it got stuck to the cookie pan i was working on and ended up in that oval shape when it finally got to the pizza stone
>>
>>7381019
>Most of the kneading was done after the dough rose

There is your problem. Unless you have a kitchenaid, you will need to knead it for a good 20-30 min by hand before forming into bowl
>>
>>7380546

What temperature did you cook the pizza at? Your recipe is fine - though I would suggest using granulated garlic rather than minced.

You have 60% hydration which is generally standard for pizza dough. Most baker's recipes call for 2% of the weight of flour in salt.

>10 ounces flour = 280 grams flour
>~5.6 grams salt

You used about 8-10 grams which would explain why it was oversalted.

As other anons have mentioned, you really need to knead your dough in order to develop a solid gluten web. Also, a 30 hour rise is overkill for pizza dough - generally 24 hours is best for refridgerated rising, or 2-3 hours if it's warm in your kitchen.

A couple suggestions:

>add a tablespoon of sugar to your water when you add the yeast
>add the sugar/water/yeast to the flour and knead until it comes together in a sticky dough
>allow the dough to rest for 5-10 minutes
>then add your salt and knead the dough for 10-15 minutes until you get that smooth dough ball

Adding the salt later accomplishes two things. First, if you add your salt to the water you can kill your yeast. Secondly, adding salt to the water prevents the dough from autolysing - basically the salt keeps the water/yeast from being fully absorbed by the flour.

When you knead the dough you can either oil your hands or simply wet them in a bowl of water.
>>
>>7380630

I'm not great with baking work, but I'm assuming he was proofing the dough in the fridge and cold temperatures slow the fermentation process. So probably not overproofed?
>>
>>7381190
I'll keep this in mind for next time.

>>7381336
15mins in 425F oven. I couldn't remember the exact temp so I just went along with it.. Okay, I'll grab granulated garlic for next time. I wasn't sure whether the people were talking about powder, granules, dried or just plain old garlic. I played it safe with the garlic.
And wow, I never knew this much goes into a dough. I have newfound respect for pizza makers and bread makers out there. I took notes, thank you for your help.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.