[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gonna pick up a bottle of jameson tonight. I've only ever
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (207 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
207 KB, 1280x853
Gonna pick up a bottle of jameson tonight. I've only ever drank cheap whiskey like Canadian mist/early times/ black velvet stuff. What am I in for and should I buy something else? Is the taste between cheap whiskey and decent whiskey noticeable? I am looking for a smoky flavor/taste.

What's jameson taste like?
>>
If you're used to cheap, shitty whiskey, you'll love Jameson as it is also cheap, shitty whiskey.
>>
>>7375515
> I've only ever drank cheap whiskey
> now i will finally drink cheap whiskey!

Among the cheap stuff, Jameson is pretty OK. Can even drink it neat. But its nothing special either.
>>
>>7375515
Fucking dirty Catholics......
>>
I like that Jameson whiskey. It's all right.
>>
File: images.jpg (4 KB, 111x176) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
4 KB, 111x176
This is what you are looking my friend!
>>
>>7375515
>What am I in for and should I buy something else?
Solid entry level irish whisky, nothing spectacularly awesome about it, but it's no swill either.
>Is the taste between cheap whiskey and decent whiskey noticeable?
No.
>I am looking for a smoky flavor/taste
Won't find any in Jameson.
>What's jameson taste like?
Light.
>>
>>7375515
eh breh Jameson isn't particularly "good" whiskey either. it's not cheap shit, but it's not considered "good stuff". so be prepared for meh whiskey.
>>
>>7375641
I think it gets a reputation because it's Irish and people assume Irish people love to drink therefore they must know their whiskey.

It's a stupid argument because plenty of hardcore alcoholics drink nothing but mouthwash and bottom shelf vodka.
>>
>>7375705
>hardcore alcoholics drink nothing but mouthwash

Only Chief Stumbling Deer does this.
>>
Jameson and Tullamore to irish whisky is what Four Roses or Jim Beam is to bourbon.

Possibly the most vanilla offering that caters to the widest possible crowd. Doesnt offend, but doesnt impress either. Great in irish coffee if done right, also suitable for mixed drinks. OK-tier with ice. Bland and boring as a sipper. A safe bet in bars that serve nothing else of value.
>>
>>7375714
Being a boozehound gets expensive if you can't hold down a job due to your drinking. Also, late stage alkies have been known to drink anything with alcohol in it-mouthwash, perfume, and even rubbing alcohol-to get their fix when the cravings hit real bad.
>>
it's so-so whiskey. Sounds like it's going to be better than what you're used to so enjoy it.
>>
>>7376060
You did.
>>
>>7375705
They do know how to make their alcohol easy to drink though.
>>
Jameson is not what you want for a smoky flavor/taste. Pick up some Bulleit or other mid bourbon.

The taste is very noticeable once you get okay at tasting.
>>
>>7375574
Jameson whiskey was started by a goddamn scotsman you ignorant soup taker
>>
Is Jameson really that bad for an Irish whisky? How about Bushmill?
>>
>>7375515
Jameson is cheap whiskey quality for mid-tier whiskey price.

That being said, I don't mind it. But I'm under no impression I'm drinking good shit
>>
I only like jamesons with a nice ginger beer
>>
>>7376515
Jameson isn't bad. It's just mediocre.

Bushmills is for protestant traitors.
>>
>>7375515

jameson is just the jack daniels of irish whiskey, i don't think anyone really considers it a good/nice brand. I find Jack a lot more drinkable for around the same price.
>>
Smoky flavor? Not in Jameson. Jameson is a shot whisky, goes down smooth. It's good I definitely prefer it over Canadian Mist. But it sounds like you either want a decent Scotch or an American Whiskey.

Just keep in mind there's no right answer when it comes to spirits. One man's favorite booze is another's rotgut. I like Ryes for their spicy tinge.
>>
>>7375515
paddys is a solid taste for a palet that is used to whiskey. jameson is something for beginners. good and easy to take and enjoy, but its not good if you have tried plenty before.

american whiskey is pretty good too but stay away from jim bean and jack daniels, those are shit.
>>
I've got a bottle of Tullamore Dew, Jameson and Bushmill on the go.

Tullamore Dew is a lot more subdued, it it's the easiest to drink neat and I actually enjoy it more than Jameson.

Bushmill straight up has more flavour than Dew, I don't really know how to explain booze flavours without sounding like a douche. It's more up front and you might find it more offensive, but its still pretty good.

Jameson is my least favourite of the three. By far the most offensive tasting of the three, it's a lot more harsh than the others.

Jameson is all about advertising and brand recognition. If you as the average person (not from Ireland) to name an Irish whiskey, 9 times out of 10 the response you will get is "Jameson". It's not very good but people don't know any better. :^)
>>
>>7376781
I think Jim and Jack get bad raps because yes their two famous entries are sub-par Whiskeys. They're mass market alcohols and they're relatively cheap.

Gentleman Jack, the upscale version of JD is actually pretty good. Jim Bean distillery also has some other good entries.

Jack Daniels is will stay the exact same way because that's what people have been used to for the last 100 years. They're not going to risk alienating the regular drinkers by tweaking the formula like New Coke.
>>
I like Kinnickinnick Whiskey, personally.

Relatively expensive small batch stuff, but it's got a nice smokey finish.
>>
File: irish_red1[1].jpg (141 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
irish_red1[1].jpg
141 KB, 540x720
Redbreast is a good choice if you want to graduate from cheap whiskey
>>
>>7375607
This. If you want smoky, nothing beats Leap-frog.
>>
It's a good whiskey for people who don't have a lot of experience with whiskey because it's quite light with a bit of sweetness and pretty cheap.

If you want something smokey though go for an Isley Scotch.
>>
>>7375607
Meme
>>
>>7375515
FYI
Irish whiskey is grain whiskey, with the grain usuallly being corn, just like bourbon. Unlike bourbon its aged in old oak so you generally get less woody and instead get influence from the barrels previous contents.
If you want smokey look for a scotch, usually an Islay.
>>
>>7376904
Jameson is worth the price, but yeah, Redbreast is quite good. Its not bad to have a bottle of either on hand.
>>
>>7377575
>Irish whiskey is grain whiskey, with the grain usually being corn
What Irish whiskeys use corn alone? I don't know of any.

From what I've read, the main distinctive trend for Irish whiskey is triple distillation, which leads to it usually being a bit delicate.
>>
>>7375574
Fucking dirty Protestants...
Bushmills is shit
>>
>>7376714
>dirty filthy catholic

Shouldn't you be off fondling young boys or something?
>>
>>7377728
Same goes for you, you backwards ass retard.
>>
>>7377738
Yeah, I guess I should give up the national religion and support English sovereignty to avoid paedos.

Oh, wait...
>>
File: 1441771350033.jpg (24 KB, 213x237) Image search: [Google]
1441771350033.jpg
24 KB, 213x237
>>7375515
I've had Jameson on two occasions:

>once before I became an AA robot
>twice when I left that cult

Both times it has tasted like nothing but water to me.

I drink mostly bourbon and rye whiskey, with some scotch whisky here and there (on nice occasions).

Jameson tastes like a bottle of Ozarka. No burn, no flavor, no nothing.

I don't care enough about Irish whiskey to drink other brands, so I consider that off-shoot of whiskey dead to me.

Apparently it's quite popular, though, the same way Jack Daniels and Crown Royal are.

>lol look at me, muh drink is <Jack/Crown/Jameson> I'm so cool/hardcore
>/end snapchat story
>>
>>7377707
Greenore and teeling do single grain, the teeling is exceptional.
Most blends use grain whiskey as the base.
Coloumn stills are very common, with these there is no triple distillation.
The main difference is that peat is rarely used during malting, hence the lack of smokiness.
>>
I've heard that peat is starting to run out in Scotland. What's a good whisky that uses peat and has good flavor as well? Might want to get a bottle before I even not have the chance to know what peat tastes like.
>>
>>7375515

for smokey taste get a bottle of Maker's Mark Bourbon
>>
>>7377887
Laphroaig
Lagavulin
Ardbeg

Ardbeg 10 Year Old is, from what I've read, the smokiest single malt on the market that isn't a limited release.
>>
>>7377962
Isn't Ardbeg about to go down the NAS route?
>>
Regular Jamesons is okay, but they have other Jamesons like the 12 year that are much better.

I'm generally a Jim beam man. Cant wait to try the quarter cask
>>
>>7377973
I'm not sure. I actually prefer Laphroaig and Lagavulin lol.

I just threw out Ardbeg because he said he wanted the real smokey stuff.
>>
>>7377563

the ten year old is meme. the quarter cask is patrician. since I tried that 40% whiskies just don't excite me any more. the extra fire from the 48% hits the sweet spot.
>>
Get the Jameson 12 yr. A bit more expensive but supremely better in my opinion, unless you are mixing with ginger ale, then the normal stuff is fine.
>>
>>7375515
>what am I in for
Jameson is a mild, light-flavored entry level Irish whiskey. It's not great but it's not unpleasant either.
>Is the taste between cheap whiskey and decent whiskey noticeable
Definitely, but there are diminishing returns as with anything. The difference between cheap shit whiskey and decent whiskey is huge, but as you go up in quality the amount of improvement you get as you pay more goes down. After a certain point in most (not all, but most) cases you're just paying more for exclusivity.
>looking for a smoky flavor
Jameson won't have any. What you want is a peated scotch- something like Talisker 10 is a decent starting point for that. Decent price, definite smoke flavors but a lot less smoky than a lot of others. If you want to jump in with both feet and go for something really smoky right out of the gate, something like Ardbeg, Lagavulin, or Laphroaig would be your best bet.
>>
>>7377962
Pretty sure there's a Bruichladdich Octomore release that's the peatiest scotch made, but it's probably a pain in the ass to find.
>>
>>7378615
Based on some bullshit phenol ppm meme thats being pushed, doesnt transfer to reality on the pallete though.
>>
>>7375715
>Four Roses
>comparable to Jim Beam
>>
>>7375515
Don't go for jameson. It's not the flavor you're wanting.

Try some johnnie walker black label. Black label is the 'smokiest' one.

Double black is good too. But it's probably not worth paying extra for until you've tried regular black label.
>>
>>7376515
Bushmills is superior.
>>
>>7377745
National religion my ass, you might as well be in a cult. (A cult that fondles little boy while suppressing women's rights at the same time, while supporting a group of leaders who only care about hording wealth and treasure with a history of torture and abuse.)
>>
File: Islay-Mist-8ans.jpg (99 KB, 700x1362) Image search: [Google]
Islay-Mist-8ans.jpg
99 KB, 700x1362
>>7379274

Johnnie Walker Black is okay, but it's overpriced for what it is. OP, go for a bottle of pic related if you're looking for something smoky and inexpensive, but not "cheap".
>>
Not really related to the thread but:
>drink hot sake for the first time
>shit tastes like beer and not what I thought it would be like
>>
>>7377887

>I've heard that peat is starting to run out in Scotland

As far as I've ever heard, in total the peat grows back faster than they can use it. Islay itself is mostly made of peat.

Though, I think I remember hearing that Cambeltown used up all its peat, but that might have been when peat was used for fuel, which I don't think is done so much today.
>>
>>7377973
Source? If so, goodbye Ardbeg, RIP in peace.

>>7378605

>Talisker 10
>Decent price

I wish, where I live it hovers around $70. For that price I could get the CS versions of Laphroaig 10 or Springbank 12.
>>
>>7376781
Beam Black is a solid bourbon.
>>
>>7377973
God, I hate the obnoxious use of unspecified acronyms. Duckduckgo just throws up "network attached storage," which I presume is not the intended meaning.
>>
>>7380582

Googling "NAS whiskey" would have gotten you a relevant result, but it is "Non Age Statement".
>>
>>7375515
Jamesons is pretty shit tier 2bh, like most catholic whiskeys
If you have to go potato then get the far superior bushmills
>>
Lagavulin 16
Caol Ila
Laphraoig, try to get a different one to the 10 though
>>
>>7378605

Talisker is less smoky than it used to be. They changed the flavour profile a few years back.
>>
>>7376770

Canadian Mist is shit tier Canadian whisky. Alberta Premium, Collingwood, or Forty Creek are the way to go.
>>
>>7376816

Jack Daniels did tweak the formula though. And in the last 20 years or so. They reduced it from 90 proof to 80 proof.
>>
>>7381446
Second for alberta premium and add Gibson's finest rare to that list
>>
>>7378615

Did you read what I typed?

>isn't a limited release
>>
I drink Canadian Club, mostly because it's the best bang-for-your-buck in terms of Canadian/rye whiskies. But I mix it with sprite/7up, aka a CC&7. If I want something neat or on the rocks, I go with Jameson. I choose these mostly for the economics. They aren't shitty bottom shelf tier, but they are good enough, since I'm currently on a budget.

When I had more money I stuck to 40 creek for mixing, and glenlivit for neat.
>>
>>7381459

Gibsons Finest is pretty good. Not my favourite, but good enough for sipping.
>>
>>7381467

Forty Creek for mixing? Really?

That's such a waste man. That's "drink it neat" tier Canadian whisky, and there aren't many of those. You're honestly better off sticking with CC for mixing.
>>
>>7379239
both are vanilla entry tier volume produced bourbons
>>
File: donpuke.gif (3 MB, 555x307) Image search: [Google]
donpuke.gif
3 MB, 555x307
>>7381467
>mixing Canadian Club
>>
Is black label meme tier?
>>
>>7381459

The most amazing thing about Alberta Premium is the fact it's a bar rail brand. Hell, its priced below the standard rail brands like CC or Wisers. It's cheaper than Black Velvet (aka Black Death). It's priced competitively against Silk Tassel, and that shits garbage. So for the ultimate shit whisky price, Alberta Distilleries somehow manage to push out something good enough to drink neat.

They put out a 25yr release a few years back for 25 dollars. They also did a 30yr for under 50 dollars. Who the fuck sells whiskey that old that cheap? No one!

I'm not saying its the greatest whisky ever made. Hell, its not even the best Canadian. But looking at it in terms of a cost to quality ratio? It's a fucking gem of a whisky. It's an incredible value. And when the cost of moving up from shit whisky to the good stuff can be pretty steep, I think that's something worthy of respect. The people behind this brand must really care a lot about what they do.
>>
>>7381509
No. Well, at least not as much as Jack Daniel's.
>>
>>7381509
I found black label to be underwhelming. For the price you can get a bottle of a fairly decent single malt if you know what to look for, when and where. Not worth the money IMO. Not a single malt snob either. Dimple 16y/o is a good blend, here even a couple euros cheaper than black label. You pay for the brand name, dont even get me started on Jack Daniels.
>>
>>7375515
>Jameson
>implying it's not cheap shit whisky

Lol
>>
>>7375515
You stupid shit.
>>
>>7381739
I can find JW black for about $30, and for that price I can get exactly zero (0) single malts. The closest is when Glenmorangie 10 occasionally drops to like $35.
>>
>Jameson is cheap.

Must be nice to be an american.

Meanwhile I'm paying 17 bucks for a six pack of what americans call "cheap beer".
>>
>>7383601
Sorry to hear that man. Down here in Texas you can regularly find beer thats literally cheeper than water. Too bad its all crap like bud light, but any port in a storm.
>>
>>7375607
First half dozen or so times I had this, all I could taste was the peat. Then something strange happened - I started drinking wine more and more and as my taste had developed drinking wine I came back to Laphroaig and it tasted completely different. Really fantastic whisky. Liquor cabinet contains Laphroaig's 18 YO, Quarter Cask, and Laphroaig aged in Sherry Cask. One of my favourites.
>>
>>7383601
Australian? Booze is so expensive over here, it's ridiculous.
>>
>>7383601
>17 bucks for a six pack of what americans call "cheap beer".

Holy shit dude I live under an oppressive government booze monopoly and I only expect to pay ~$14 for a six pack of local craft brew..
>>
File: roasting groats.jpg (40 KB, 425x640) Image search: [Google]
roasting groats.jpg
40 KB, 425x640
>>7375515
>I am looking for a smoky flavor/taste.
>What's jameson taste like?
Jameson has ZERO smoke, it's one of the distrinctive trademarks of their amazing process of whiskymaking. They lit their ovens below a brick floor, so that groats would be toasted completely separate from the fires of peat.

So ZERO peat, ZERO smoke. On top of that, Jameson triple, not double-distilled, and they aged on former "charred" first sherry casks. Char adds a wood sugar after all that aging time that isn't ordinarily accessible without a great deal of time. So the wood flavor is mellow and richer. Hint of sherry flavors.

Truly unique stuff. Buy it because it's incredible and not expensive both.
>>
>>7375515
jemmesons is a decent whiskey, still in the price range for your standard whiskey

it's much smoother than anything cheaper you're going to find, it's more neutral than a lot of whiskeys; so many now are retard strength peat flavour

I think it pairs well with Drambuie to make a rusty nail for that reason
>>
>>7384166
Ahh yeh, back when I was a coke fiend I used to down like 10-15 jamo rusty nails in a night crusing between bars and clubs.
Thankfully Im a mature cunt now.
>>
>>7377887
La Froyg
Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.