[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible to live on $5 a day?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 221
Thread images: 24
File: 5bucks.jpg (72 KB, 470x353) Image search: [Google]
5bucks.jpg
72 KB, 470x353
Is it possible to live on $5 a day?
>>
Yes.
>>
Comfortably? No?
Will you die? Also no.
>>
>>7372489
much too small I would say the average human needs atleast 36sq ft to live comfortably
>>
>>7372512
>Will you die? Also no.
wouldnt be able to afford internet, so no 4chan, so I'd kill myself
>>
>>7372489
You gotta get five singles for your abe bill then cut off 49% of each single. Save $ on tp this way. Spend those 51percenters on your ramens and rice and beans. Drink water from the hose and warm the body with 55gallon drum fire. If you need shower and clothes wash just enter carwash with your body
>>
>>7372523
good one
>>
Yeah, but first step is cut out the ramen. Ramen isn't shit, that crap is nothing but carbs and sodium, and it's expensive. Sure, as far as things that are easy to make and taste relatively good, Ramen will get's you pretty good bang for your buck, but if you want to actually get a lot of food for your fiver, get some rice, and lentils. seriously, a 1 pound bag of lentils costs like two dollars, same with rice, use the leftover dollar to buy some salt or something, or just steal some from a local restaurant. You need to have the facilities to boil some water in order to cook this shit, but $5 / day is more than enough to buy enough rice and lentils in order to survive. save up your leftover dollars and you can start to buy bigger and bigger bags, which is where you start to see even more savings. eventually you can buy some veggies, maybe even some crappy meats every once in a while, if you plan your meager finances carefully enough.
>>
Sure.. Fatties sit on their wallets all day!
>>
>>7372632
That'll give you a lopsided anus
>>
Are you strictly talking about food?
Yes but it would not be fun.

If you're including other shit like rent or utilities then God no.
>>
File: 1455265426358.jpg (67 KB, 540x509) Image search: [Google]
1455265426358.jpg
67 KB, 540x509
>scrounge food samples and old bread from bakerys one day
>have $10 for food next day
>bulk up on rice and meat
>rinse and repeat

2 easy, OP
>>
1 lb of chicken thighs = $2.50
5 lb of rice = $3.00
>>
YouTube

Brothersgreeneats

He does it on 3 dollars a day.
>>
wouldn't be fun, but yeah, of course you could
But the real question is why you would want to when it is so fucking easy not to be poor if you are not literally retarded, plus there are programs for retarded people to get jobs too
>>
>>7372489

Yes. Just buy a buttload of instant noodles and never eat out. Liveable, profitable and frugal all in one go.
>>
>>7372489
No. The nutritional value of any bank note is negligible.
>>
The real question is do you mean literally $5 per diem resetting each day, or do you mean $5 per day for a month.

If the latter then yes, it's piss-easy.

If the former, kinda sorta but it would require some bullshittery.
>>
he has a youtube channel for that shit? That's not even that bad

Right now in college I live off 23/week, but for two months about a year ago I lived off 10/week.

It's really not hard, you just have to use your brain.

Like this is my shopping list today:

4-5 packages of noodles
Spagetti sauce
Syrup
Milk
Ice Cream
Stuff for making pizza
clam chowder

I already have a bunch of other stuff too, like tortillas, beans, 10 pounds of rice, cheese, stuff for making pancakes, eggs, popcorn seeds, butter, and all the stuff i have on my list

If I was going the 10/week route that shit is fucking miserable
You can't really have anything, just rice/noodles/cheese/oatmeal. That's really about it. It is definitely livable off of too, although you do need to occasionally eat actual balanced meals when you go visit family or whatnot
>>
>>7373371
In jail, yes.
>>
150$ a month? Fuck yes.

Rice in bulk like Jasmine from Asian markets

Getting meat from Asian or Latino migrant markets

Getting veg/fruit from discount bins, foraging or gardening

Getting the vinegars, soy sauces, cooking wines, spices, cooking fats, etc...

Buying in bulk is best, it's doable. Sucks I can't eat legumes anymore :-/
>>
>>7372601
thanks
don't forget to comment, rate and subscribe
>>
>>7372590
it's not half a bill, it's 3/4
>>
>1 lb chicken breast $2
>1 lb potato $.70
>1lb frozen veggies $1.50
That's 4.20 (ayy lmao)

Rest on butter/oils/ and seasonings
>>
>>7372489
>$150-$155/month

lol Living high on the hog I see. If I spent a dollar over $75/month before I started farming and fixing my own meal I'd have grown fat. Now, I only spend about $25/month and that's just for "luxury" items.
>>
Yes, very easily.

Lots of Frozen Fruit and Vegetables. Dried goods, rice & beans. Only thing that goes in the fridge would really be eggs and Yogurt.
>>
>>7373666
pics of your garden faggot
>>
>>7373589
>salvation army
christians only

>soup kitchens
women and children served only

>dumpster diving
ok
>>
>>7373826
>christians only
Salvation Army serves everyone regardless of religious beliefs.
>>
Bulk rice and chicken thighs
>>
Rice and frozen veg m8, it won't be pretty but it'll work.
>>
>>7373589
>>7373896
Poorfag here, can confirm i grew up on eating these things
>>
File: 1383182514068.png (171 KB, 396x423) Image search: [Google]
1383182514068.png
171 KB, 396x423
I'm pretty sure a $1 bill has just as much nutrition as a $5 bill.

Trying to live off of the $5 bill just seems silly.
>>
>>7374243
oh lord the $1 bill has probably been in a hookers ass. common sense.
>>
File: giphy-facebook_s[1].jpg (35 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
giphy-facebook_s[1].jpg
35 KB, 480x270
>>7374247
over 98% of all paper currency tests positive for trace amounts of cocaine
>>
>>7374243
$5 might have been used to snort coke, so you won't feel hungry as often.
$1 will have been handled more so should contain more nutrition.
>>
>>7373896
this. I volunteer at a soup kitchen at a local church and I don't even believe in God, I have no idea what the people who eat there believe because we don't ask.

Also there are more men than women or children.
>>
>>7374269
You like that there is more men.
>>
If you only mean in terms of food, yes.

1lb of Brown Rice: $0.87
2 Gallons of Water: $1.76
Canned Meat: >$1.00

You won't generally be looking forward to each meal and you won't have a particularly balanced diet, but you can eat well enough for under $5 a day.

If you mean to cover all living expenses for $5 a day, you might as well end it now because it's not happening.
>>
>>7374253

I'd guess the difference is negligible.

Every time I used a bill to do coke I'd use a one, just in case I never got it back (because most people who spend money on overpriced drugs are typically broke).
>>
>>7374284

>spending almost half of your daily food budget on bottled water
>>
>>7374290
Depending on where you live, the tap water isn't as drinkable as it should probably be.
>>
>>7374277
Just replying to the other guy who said they don't serve men. I'm gay but i don't fuck homeless men, sorry if you're homeless.
>>
>>7374301
>I'm gay but i don't fuck homeless men
why not asshole? they're people too
>>
>>7374301
Why? They're so easy to fuck, you just slip it in after dark since they're out cold.
Don't even have to worry about rape allegations since you can't rape men.
>>
>>7374303
HIV
>>
>>7374301

Do you provide the condom when they fuck you? Do you bring them back to your place, or just do it in their refrigerator box? What do you do to clean up afterwards?
>>
So how do soup kitchens determine if you are poor and shit?

Considering just buying some cheap rag clothes and going there for some delicious soups to save money
>>
>>7374436
They don't need to, it's charity.
If you walk in wearing a suit and a Rolex asking for hand-outs, you might get kicked out and some more disgruntled patrons may get physical.
>>
>>7374269
So what happens to the women and children? They're way more vulnerable than the men, who in adulthood have a natural instinct to just die if they have nobody to protect.

I'm serious here. Not making jokes. I want a legitimate answer, because the only reality I can imagine fitting this information is secret sexual slavery for all the vulnerable.
>>
5$ are almost 20zlotys, you can get 2 bottles of water, bread, a little package of ham or cheese and rice for that
>>
>boil pork with ginger and onion
>add soya sauce
>add noodles
>add boiled egg
fuckin ready
>>
>>7374451
Women are children are just way less likely to be homeless/poor enough not to be able to feed themselves.
>>
>>7374469
Even fat ugly women can find a beta male provider
>>
>>7374451
Women and children are generally prioritized by charity organizations and shelters.
They will almost always have a place to go. The aforementioned shelters will tend to make space for women and children.
Children will sometimes get picked up by child services and put into foster homes.

Of course, women and children tend to have an easier time getting out of homeless conditions so you don't tend to see as many examples.
>>
>>7373334
This is the crucial issue, and why living cheaply is more difficult than people think. All the good bargains come at higher initial costs, but with exponentially greater economic value.
>>
My daily meals.

Breakfast-
Protein Shake with Frozen Banana: $1.20
Two eggs- $.50

Lunch-
Curried Lentils or Bean Stew/Chili: $1.75

Snack-
Cup of Milk with half serving of protein powder: $1.00

Dinner-
Chicken/Bean Stew/Chili or Lentils: $1.75

It's very easy. Especially if you don't care about getting lots of protein and can just fill up on oats and rices.
>>
if youre talking just food definitely
i spend like 4 euros a day on average on a balanced and tasty diet consisting of very cheap groceries, if i didnt care about eating actual good food i could go much cheaper
>>
>>7374296
Flint, MI resident, can confirm.
>>
If you're poor, then massive bags of rice, lentils, oats are god tier for value.

Then spices and herbs can be used to add flavor.
>>
>>7374602
this sounds like meager subsistence - i hope things get better for you
>>
>>7374645
Funny thing is I'm not even poor, but while my friends are saving $500 a month, I'm saving $1500 a month from the same income
>>
>>7372534
You could go to the library
>>
>>7374682
normies
>>
How much do you nerds spend on food per week?
>>
>>7374696
$750
>>
>>7374451
Women and children have 10x more government social service, education, housing and charitable funding allocated to them. It is very, very hard for women and children to be homeless and starving. Contrary to popular belief, women also get hired for jobs more easily, and make more money than men, all factors equal.
>>
chicken is $2/lb
rice is cheep
potatoes are cheep
eggs are cheep

when i would spend all my money partying and had to eat on a few bucks I would us the slow cooker a lot.

5 lbs of chicken with some cumin, chili powder and jar of salsa in the slow cooker. a pack of 100 corn tortillas would make tacos 4 ever.

50 cent cans of spinach, corn, green beans

cans of black and pinto beans are cheep. you can get them cheaper dry. beans and rice with some hot sauce or w/e spices is cash as fuck.

big family packs of pork chops are $2/lb. you can add potatoes and carrots and slow cooker that shit into a hearty stew.

oatmeal or eggs for breakfast.
>>
Most people in eastern Europe live on $5 a day without issues. Like, about 70 percent of the population.

And not just one person, a father will work hard whole day for that and feed his family with it.
>>
Only if you exchange it for dollar bills. Even then, the nutritional content is rather poor.
>>
>>7372877
>5.50
>>
>>7375155
>5 lb rice and 1 lb chicken
>one day
>>
>>7374965
Did you know food in poverty countries is cheaper? Ya fucking dense cunt.
>>
That's $160 a month. You're looking at eating square nutritious meals 3 times a day EASY for that kind of cash.

-White rice and whole chickens are $.98/lb. at my store right now. There are also dried beans at $1.50/lb. You can get 4 meals out of each 5-6 lb. chicken, coupled with a side of seasoned rice or beans at 4 servings per pound, each meal costs about $2.00 a meal. You can make stock from the chicken bones but you'll have to buy celery and carrots at the very least on top of that, about $5.00 total. Two whole chickens, a pound of celery and a pound of carrots its $15.00 roughly.

-2 chickens = $10.00
-one pound of rice and one pound of dry beans = $2.50
-one pound of carrots = $2.00
-one pound of celery = $1.50

Total yield for $16.00 of food is 8 servings of entree+side and 12 cups of chicken stock. The chicken stock allows you to make full meals with minimal ingredients. Want potato soup? Just buy potatoes, onions, celery, and toppings of your choice. Want tortilla soup? Buy canned tomatoes, black beans, onions, and tortillas. Want chicken noodle soup? Just buy egg noodles and shred the chicken. If you have no shame, the possibilities are endless.

-Eggs are inexpensive , coupled with rice or beans is about $.88 a meal.

-Lunch is likely leftovers of either meal, so between $1.00-2.00 a meal.

Can you eat an eclectic variety of meals every day for $160 a month? Probably not, but you're getting warm, filling, and tasty meals 3 times a day with change to spare.
>>
Just buy 20 lbs of flour and make bread
>>
>>7375794

What is vitamin deficiency?
>>
>>7372489
>Is it possible to live on $5 a day?
Well even considering that food is absurdly more expensive in the developed world, yes.
Just don't be poor and own your own home, or squat on public land like a degenerate instead of using a shelter.
>>
>>7372489
Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with milk provides basically everything you actually need nutritionally. According to one of my Biology professors you can basically live off that indefinitely if you have to. I imagine you can get a sufficient supply of that for 5$/day.
>>
>>7374451
Most homeless are men, it's probably a similar proportion of homeless men and homeless women that go to the kitchens.
>>
I spend 80~100 monies a month on food so yes it's possiblre. Guess it also depends on where you live
>>
If possible, hunt/fish to supplement store bought goods. If you're good at/committed to either you'd probably end up eating better than most well off folks.
>>
>>7374685
>he thinks there are normies at the library

I don't know where you're from but every time I go to a public library something really fucking weird happens
>>
If you had to spend it each day you'd get gypped, but if you could save up for a couple days and buy a bag of rice and shit then yeah, assuming food is your only need to live (i.e. you aren't somewhere cold as fuck where you'll fucking die overnight)
>>
>>7375809

>bread = sugary AF
>jelly = literally just sugar
>peanut butter = sugar + peanuts

Better incorporate insulin test strips into that $5 a day
>>
>>7374647
what a sad life
>>
>>7372877
Where the fuck are you that you could get a lb of chicken for under 4 dollars
>>
>>7372489
Yes. If your dwelling is paid for and you produce all of your own food with minimal inputs of oil (gasoline, fertilizer, pesticides) (no large livestock either).

You're asking to live on 1800 bucks a YEAR. You could do it, but it'd be extremely difficult and you wouldn't want to live anywhere that require much in heating. You'd want a decent winter if you want to take any larger game. Also, no electricity unless you make it. Pretty much the only thing you could purchase was gasoline or tools and you'd have to walk to get them. So while possible, it isn't probable.
>>
>>7372489
If you live in a city then you don't need to.
You can find a shit, easy job or come up with some kind of scam or "small business" easily.
Donate plasma, participate in studies, hold a sign on a street corner for a business.
Seriously, unless you have a terrible mental illness or youre an alcoholic/drug addict, you don't ever EVER need to live on $5/day
>>
>>7374696
Only like 10 recently, but I'm finally going through all the beans and lentils I bought. Gonna have to pick up some more soon, Just used the last of my beans.
>>
>>7372489

No and anyone who says yes probably still lives at home.
>>
File: 1446248872749.jpg (55 KB, 459x534) Image search: [Google]
1446248872749.jpg
55 KB, 459x534
Literally yes, I eat for about that much.

The thing is, you don't literally buy a week's worth of food every week, you buy staples in bulk and buy your accessories every week.

>Breakfast
Oats with stuff in them (usually milk or cream, peanut butter, jam, maple syrup, raisins, fresh fruit, apple butter, whatever's on hand)

>Lunch
Sandwich (soft cheese & butter, PB & J, egg salad, etc)

>Dinner
Rice & lentils (as dal, in a curry, as a soup, as a stew, etc)

Coffee beans I buy in bulk once a month, rice in bulk once every ~6 months, lentils in bulk once every ~3 months, etc. Any of these purchases is less than $20.

I also sleep on the floor and use a Thinkpad I bought for $90
>>
>>7376768
Not sure if really rich or really poor...
>>
File: 1428158430664.png (327 KB, 2000x1404) Image search: [Google]
1428158430664.png
327 KB, 2000x1404
>>7376776
I make about $20K a year but I need(ed) to lose weight and hate spending money, when I moved out I was like 320lbs (fat parent) and now I'm about 190. I have a lot of extra money, my rent is really reasonable since I have a few housemates, and I have no car. In terms of actual bank balance I'm statistically richer than most people I guess because I put like $1.2K away every month.
>>
Couple cheeseburgers and a couple 24oz cans of steel reserve, living on $5 is easy
>>
>>7376794
Pretty much what I figured, it wasn't a knock against you. People like you usually go on to be pretty well off even in so-so jobs because you always live below your means. Admirable.
>>
>>7376827
Oh thanks anon

I didn't think you were insulting me, lots of people are weirded out by my situation though because most of my coworkers have cars and families they support and stuff. I'm used to explaining that I'm just in a frugal groove right now and don't eat much because of my dieting and that kind of thing
>>
>>7376610
Central Virginia reporting in.
Boneless breasts are 1.99/lb here. Whole fryer is .99/lb. 10 lbs of leg quarters is .79/lb, drums sticks are like $1/lb, thighs are $1.50ish/lb. I think wings and tenders are the most expensive at 2.79 and like 3 something respectively.

Where the fuck are you that chicken is $4 a pound?!?!?!
>>
>>7372626
I heard lentils aren't actually good for you. They contain lots of protein but don't you have to soak them in water overnight to....nevermind. I just remembered me and everyone else on this board drink like fish and dont give a fuck.

Yeah, rice lentils, flour, salt and butter

Make some shitty "bread" or hardtack with the flour, salt and some water and have it with some butter so it has flavor. That can be breakfast. Get some really cheap tea too.

For lunch have nothing but whatever you can get for free

For dinner have rice and lentils

so 35 bucks to buy food for the whole week...youd actually have money left over so you could buy some vodka
>>
>>7372489
Has anyone in this thread actually tried to do this?
like, you have 35 dollars to feed yourself and you can't buy any more food after that
>>
>>7377261
Shit's crazy expensive in the city. I'm from central PA, but I live in Philadelphia currently and meat and fresh produce practically cost double what I'm used to.
not the guy you replied to btw
>>
>>7374766
This pisses me off so much. Not that women have it easier, but that they aren't grateful in the slightest and it's an epic may may that women have it so hard. Single mothers are the ultimate gibsmedat leaches.
It's easy as FUCK for women to make money. Just dont be MORBIDLY obese. That's it. A woman can wait tables just about anywhere and make way more than I do right now, and I bust my ass in a warehouse and go home still sweating. I remember when work was really hard to come by, I worked for minimum wage doing day labor with all the ex-cons, I seriously considered suicide since it went on for so long. But let me tell ya, a woman could still get a job, no problem.
And if she even remotely attractive....wow. I don't wanna hear a fucking peep about how bad they've got it.
>>
I'm literally the laziest mother fucker you will ever know.

I eat only once and rarely twice a day cause i'm fucking lazy. i'm talking about i'd have to be desperate and i'll make a peanut butter and strawberry jam sandwhich for dinner.

Plan on buying a rice cooker since that might help with me laziness, though cleaning the pot is a thought that is turning me off.

What can I buy that will allow me to live?
Can only do 25 bucks a week
>>
>>7377309
>but don't you have to soak them in water overnight to
you're either talking about making them easier to digest and give you less gas or the "antinutrients"

antinutrients are just another scary food fad, like people thinking they're gluten intolerant. they would only be a problem if the majority of your diet is only lentils, in which case you're already at risk of malnutrition. some studies have shown that they help prevent cancer, and other diseases.

you can soak lentils to make them easier to digest, but regularly eating them will make your digestive bacteria adjust and help too.
>>
>>7372489
Easily. I'm doing less than $5 a day and I literally didn't even notice for a while. And I'm BULKING.
Now, add rent and such, you'd definitely need more (where are you going to get an apartment for <$150 a month?), but for food, absolutely.
>>
You guys serious?

I easily eat <$5 a day on low-carb. When eating carbs & dairy, it's even cheaper.

Large eggs are 1.39 a dozen.
Boneless chicken breasts 1.99 a pound. Large cuts of pork cheaper.
$14 for 1.6 liters of olive oil.

I mean I can definitely eat cheap and healthy. Shame I'm an alcoholic. :-)
>>
>>7377350
>central PA
State College perhaps? Would be random as fuck if so
>>
>>7374472
They don't even need one when big daddy G showers them in gibsmedats
>>
>>7377455
>1.39 a dozen
>chicken 1.99 a pound
where the fuck do you live
>>
>>7372489
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9HMej4NmBw
>>
I spend that much just driving to college and back in a day.
>>
>>7378102
>not riding a bike to college

Do you even zero-emissions transportation?
>>
File: comfy-cat.jpg (49 KB, 524x700) Image search: [Google]
comfy-cat.jpg
49 KB, 524x700
You can't live on $5 a day but you can live on $35 a week.
>>
>>7372489
Yes.

Step 1. Live in America

Step 2. Trade 5 dollars to hobo for his shank. Trust me he has a shank. Every hobo has a shank

Step 3. Use shank to rob/murder/burglarize a wealthy person

Step 4. Live off of the succulent fruits of your hunt.
>>
>>7372489
Define live. But seriously, yes, easily. It might also surprise you to learn that you can live on zero dollars a day for a limited time.
>>
>>7375800
Grind up some multivitamins from the discount rack and mix it into the dough.
>>
>>7372489
ALDI
L
D
I
>>
>>7372489
No, US currency isn't edible.
>>
>>7378294
surprisingly good post
>>
>>7377333
If I eliminated the fact that I usually pick something up (quick, like a burrito or sub) for dinner a couple times a week, this is already my budget.
>>
>>7378294
it just werks
>>
>>7372489
Sure. I could buy a small package of oscar meyer shaved turkey (that good shit) and a loaf of bread for about $5 and that'll last me at least 2 days before running out of turkey. Next day buy 1-lb of ground beef and have burgers. Next day buy a jar of peanut and another loaf of bread. Rinse and repeat.
>>7372601
no, that wasn't good at all. but a redditor like you would actually think that's funny.
>>
>>7373272

This was a really interesting series, I just recently moved away from home for the first time and I've been trying to keep my food costs low as possible. I didn't really incorporate much of anything he did, other than getting a better idea of how supermarkets worked (I'd never really gone grocery shopping for staples before, part of the excitement of moving out) but it was a fun and interesting watch.

Myself I've been mostly subsisting off broccoli roasted in the oven, and bagels with jam and cream cheese that my girlfriend steals for me from her university cafeteria.

It's not the most successful and I'm downplaying some elements, but it's better than eating out every single day like I used to at home. And fresh produce can be really cheap if you get a good sale.
>>
>>7378291
you need to stop tripfaggng bro
>>
>>7372489
Absolutely
just not well
>>
File: 1389852322853.jpg (128 KB, 502x461) Image search: [Google]
1389852322853.jpg
128 KB, 502x461
>>7378402
>>
I usually spend 20USD on food a day, and I usually never cook at home. Sometimes my friends or family treat me to dinner.
>>
>>7380626
that's not including alcohol though lol
>>
File: DSCN1287a.jpg (3 MB, 5000x3368) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1287a.jpg
3 MB, 5000x3368
>>7373764
A little late but here old pics. I've posted these in the Homegrowmen threads on /ck/, /diy/, and now /out/. Everything is covered in snow right now.
>>
Rice, beans, mixed frozen veggies and the occasional eggs or chicken.

It can be done but it won't be a terribly satisfying way to live.
>>
File: DSCN1332a.jpg (4 MB, 5000x2973) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1332a.jpg
4 MB, 5000x2973
>>7380648
Keep in mind I have 3 different gardens. The raised bed one is just one of them.
>>
File: DSCN1414a.jpg (4 MB, 4096x4592) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1414a.jpg
4 MB, 4096x4592
>>7380659
>>
>>7380626
>>7380633
Personal question you don't have to answer (obviously) but how do you afford it?
>>
File: DSCN1533a.jpg (4 MB, 5000x4507) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1533a.jpg
4 MB, 5000x4507
>>7380663
>>
File: hF2IeDw.png (47 KB, 640x586) Image search: [Google]
hF2IeDw.png
47 KB, 640x586
>>7372489
impossible op
>>
File: DSCN1634a.jpg (3 MB, 3732x5000) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1634a.jpg
3 MB, 3732x5000
>>7380672
>>
>>7377261
This is pretty standard chicken prices around here, too. I would shoot my grocer if they told me they wanted $4/lb for chicken thighs or whole chickens.

Get a whole chicken for $1/lb or less, butcher that shit yourself (look up videos if you need to learn how), package it in parts and freeze for various meals, make stock out of the carcass (again, look up vids if you have to), freeze the stock in muffin tins if you have them and then put the pucks in a big bag so you can take out just as much as you need whenever you want some.
>>
File: DSCN1814a.jpg (3 MB, 5000x2246) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1814a.jpg
3 MB, 5000x2246
>>7380684
>>
File: DSCN3108a.jpg (3 MB, 3072x3064) Image search: [Google]
DSCN3108a.jpg
3 MB, 3072x3064
>>7380695
>>
File: Proccessing_Time 00.jpg (3 MB, 4786x5000) Image search: [Google]
Proccessing_Time 00.jpg
3 MB, 4786x5000
>>7380700
And here is what I do with it all (some has been posted on /ck/ too).
>>
>>7380659
How much time a day do you spend on your garden?
What was the setup cost?
Is it just enough to feed you, or do you have surplus?
How are you surviving the winter if your garden's snowed in?
>>
File: DSCN3283a.jpg (955 KB, 2052x1536) Image search: [Google]
DSCN3283a.jpg
955 KB, 2052x1536
>>7380703
Lastly this.

Everything is excessively cheap and the amount of work put into it is barely anything.
>>
>>7380667
I go to work 6 hours 6 days a week, and I make about 1000+ dollars a month. I also live with roommates. I eat mostly things on sale at local restaurants like daily specials, or I will use coupons.
I work at a really nice restaurant and got to know the owner pretty well. He has been at his business 26 years now. He's a Korean dude and he's super nice.
>>
>>7380713
That's awesome man. Good on you.
>>
File: DSCN2732a.jpg (548 KB, 1024x1536) Image search: [Google]
DSCN2732a.jpg
548 KB, 1024x1536
>>7380708
>How much time a day do you spend on your garden?

Not much. The most time I spend is during planting, harvesting, and processing/preserving. I actually make excuses to be in the garden. I'm expanding another and making more raised beds this spring. All told, maybe 100 hours a year spent on it all.

>What was the setup cost?

Mostly fuel costs to truck in free bricks, blocks, manure, and straw.

>Is it just enough to feed you, or do you have surplus?
How are you surviving the winter if your garden's snowed in?

I usually have surplus, but now that I have a large food dehydrator >>7380711 I'll be able to save even more for much longer terms. I also have chickens, so I get about a dozen eggs a day. They are separate from everything and pay for their own feed. Their litter goes into newly created beds as composted along with yard waste.

I also have greens on hand indoors whenever I want to grow them (pic related). I opted not to grow them this winter since I'm changing lots of things around and will be using different methods.
>>
>>7380675
>charity: 2k
>two vacations: 8k
> having 5.7k left is "just getting by"
Jesus christ this is great bait
>>
>>7380743
Living the dream, anon. When I get space I'd love to do this. Any general tips?
>>
File: 213213.png (243 KB, 920x319) Image search: [Google]
213213.png
243 KB, 920x319
>>7380836
>Any general tips?

Get out of debt as soon as you can.
>>
File: 1453638303545.gif (2 MB, 340x305) Image search: [Google]
1453638303545.gif
2 MB, 340x305
>>7380675
Not even.
>>
>>7376517
your cells metabolize sugar for energy. You literally operate on water, sugar and fats.
>>
>>7372877
>1 lb of chicken
Where can you even buy the single pound never mind that price...

You can live on $5 if you don't have rent or utilities, which you can accomplish by camping or living in your vehicle/van
>>
>>7380686
>freeze the stock in muffin tins if you have them and then put the pucks in a big bag so you can take out just as much as you need whenever you want some
Never thought of this. I usually freeze in quart bags, but I have to find flat space for all those bags so they freeze correctly. Thanks.
>>
>>7372489

Take the 5 dollars from 5 days of the week, and use that 25 and you can make food for the week. Even eating out with the 5 dollars, yes. It won't be the greatest, but it's not going to be the worst.
>>
>>7380933
Please tell us where you are that has such expensive chicken. We've established central PA has expensive chicken, where else anon?
>>
>>7380659
Have you considered making use of the space inside those cinder blocks by filling with soil and planting? I met a farmer who was very successful utilizing that space. I think she was growing onions or garlic in them.
>>
>>7380713
You must be paying like $200 for rent, $50 for utilities share and use a prepaid or other super cheap phone service, because your math isn't looking like you do much anything but eat all month.
>>
$5 a day
7 days in a week
$35 a week
Easy

Rice $3
(http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Long-Grain-Enriched-Rice-80-Oz/10315395)

Beans $3
(http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Pinto-Beans-64-Oz/10314948)

Tomatoes $3
(http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sunset-Campari-Tomatoes-16-oz/29235569)

Bread $2
(http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sara-Lee-Delightful-White-Bread-20-oz/10534149)

Ham $3
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Deli-Sliced-Smoked-Honey-Ham-9-Oz/10315854

Carrots $3 for 3 #
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fresh-1-Carrots-16-Oz/10451314

Peanut butter $4.50
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Peanut-Butter-Creamy-40-oz/10315479

Onions $3.50
(Could not find on websight)

Eggs $3
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sunny-Meadow-Extra-Large-Grade-A-Eggs-18-count/22115890

Chicken thighs $5
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tyson-Boneless-Skinless-Thighs-Chicken-1.8-lb/10533753

Take the last 5 dollers and eat at a micky d's one night
And fill your bag with s an p catsup mayo mustard and whatever

There you go faggot i took the bait
>>
>>7375800
19 pounds of flour and multi vitmins
>>
>>7376534
>saving money is sad

keep drinking that coolaid friend
>>
>>7372626
>a 1 pound bag of lentils costs like two dollars,

In what country? I know in Indian bag full of lentils is cheap but in the US that stuff is expensive.

>muh indian hole in the wall stores

Majority of them have dried out lentils that come with a premium price
>>
>>7372590
underrated post
>>
>>7382240
Lentils in the US are under $2/lb, sometimes even under a dollar at pretty much any supermarket unless you're dumb enough to fall for the artisan small batch organic non-GMO harvested by unicorns meme.
>>
>>7381029
what to do with the carrots? honest question.
i always see people buy carrots but dont know how or where to use it.
>>
>>7382270
I use them as a foundation flavor in a lot of things that I cook, basically to make a mirepoix. They're also good on their own, steamed or sauteed with garlic, herbs and butter or glazed in some butter and honey or maple syrup and roasted. There's lots of different things you can do with carrots.
>>
>tfw my grocery of choice sells sell by that day meat on the cheap

Just freeze that shit, son.
Poorfag eating steak on the daily.
Jesus, is America ever great.
>>
>>7380971
I'd rather cover them with bricks and sit on them. Also, that soil will freeze solid here and crack the blocks. It happened to a few already that I forgot to clean out.
>>
>>7376610
Not him but right now in southern cal chicken is 77c/lb for a cut variety pack. At least once a week either bnls/sknls breast a mix pack or a whole chicken is that cost. I never pay over it.
>>
File: totinos.jpg (86 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
totinos.jpg
86 KB, 800x600
>>7372489
>implying I couldn't if I wanted
>>
>>7372489
It would literally be oats and veg plus the occasional meat/soy.
>>
>>7372590
>>7373549
Both are wrong. It's only legal tender if it's slightly torn. Shit being completely ripped and it's still good, but you have to swap it out at the Treasury.
>>
>>7372489
easily and (mostly) healthily using self made soylent for under $3 a day
>>
>>7375978
This, most people under 23 don't even know where libraries are located, how to get a card, or anyone that actually goes to one. Outside of university libraries of course, but people usually only go there to fuck off or because they can't afford text books
>>
>>7380964

Eastern Kentucky/Southwest West Virginia.

A shithole.
>>
>>7380743
Pretty cool pics anon, thanks for sharing.
I've always wanted to buy property in the middle of nowhere and just be self-sufficient (solar panels, small farm, electric car). I won't have enough cash to do this for years, but I'll keep working my job as long as it takes, there's really nothing else I want to do.
>>
>>7372489
At my local market, I could buy four kilos of potatoes a day.
Or a 2kg box of rice.
Then I'd be set for a few weeks. And I'd use the next days' cash to get other stuff.
It'd be pretty manageable, desu. If you were a hobo.
>>
>>7372489
About a month ago, I had to do a ten-day stretch with only $17 in my account. And $10 had to go towards gas.
Sure, it's not good eating, but I combined a couple of the days and bought an 88 cent loaf of bread, a $1 container of jelly, a $1.50 jar of peanut butter, and a $2 six-pack of potted meat.

Essentially, that $5.38 carried me through the 10-day span. Probably not a good long-term solution, but when shit happens, a moment of planning can get you through a short rut.

Also, if you're able to grow your own stuff (get a $1 pack of seeds), that helps.
>>
>>7373611
your 80 cent could get you .04g of weed a day to smoke even!
>>
>>7374451
Most people are not homeless or in extreme poverty for long, but those that are tend to be men. Why? Because a homeless man is nearly invisible. Women only really become "invisible" when they're older, or mentally unstable.

Children are almost always allocated for first.
>>
the 99 store here has 2 pound bags of carrots for a dollar.... big bag of potatoes for a dollar and scallion cream cheese for a dollar.. also cans of tuna for 60c. baked scallion and tuna melt potatoes, lentil soup, white rice with spices.. go to a Mexican 99 store (:
>>
>>7375208
Agreed, that's like a snack.
>>
What? I spend 30 a week, so 4.30 a day, on food, and I eat like a king. Fresh produce, fresh meat, dairy, even berries and nuts and other luxuries. I don't even eat rice, ramen, or other poorfag poverty foods.

Holy shit how do you faggots eat so much.
>>
Are you serious?

Of course you can. You'll be skinnyfat as fuck, though.
>>
>>7374696
A fucking lot
>>
>>7372489
>$5 a day
>food bills
>rent
>utility bills
>medical care
>clothing
No, it's probably not possible in the western world.
>>
File: 1.jpg (318 KB, 1913x1768) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
318 KB, 1913x1768
>>7372489
definitely possible

just add a bunch of cheap rice, pasta on sale for 1$ or possibly less, and a loaf of store bread for 1$
>>
>>7385401
>Fresh produce, fresh meat, dairy, even berries and nuts

borrriinggg.
>>
>>7378628
Hell yes aldis i went there the other day and eggs were .99 a dozen
>>
File: 1424042642394.jpg (208 KB, 762x730) Image search: [Google]
1424042642394.jpg
208 KB, 762x730
>budget for food used to be 10€/week for 3 years
>now living with 2 other people who can't/won't cook and aren't content with simple vegetarian food
>them spending a significant portion of our food budget on snacks, soda and alcohol

I miss living alone.
>>
>>7386643

>our food budget

Just moved back in with your folks eh?

Seriously though, why not just seperate your food budgets?
>>
>>7386108
Mhm granpa, but those food stamps are from the 1950's. Its 2016 now and 1 lb of chicken costs 5 dollars
>>
>>7386687
What sort of shithole do you live in? Or better yet, what are you buying?

https://www.google.com/search?q=chicken+per+pound&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
>>
>>7374696
easily 100 dollars
>>
>>7377374
You are disgusting. It takes literally 30 seconds to clean a pan/rice cooker
>>
>>7386671
Living with boyfriend and sister, would be weird if I refused to cook for them. They'd probably spend their money on snacks and take-out, then leech off of me for the rest of the month anyways. Not many options.
>>
>>7377374
get a slow cooker
>>
>>7377374
Rice cooker or pressure cooker are fine.

Don't buy cheap crap for the earlier, it's worse than the latter if you do.

Cleaning it is ridiculously easy if you have the usual dish cleaning soap, just soak it for some hours, scrub briefly, rinse... or put it in a dishwasher that can handle pots.
>>
>>7375978
Until the library is entirely operated off of kiosks, they will be too chaotic and nonsensical for me to tolerate. I can't be that dependent on having to talk with other people to get something accomplished.
>>
>>7372489
Yes. That's 150 a month. Buy a lot of eggs and pasta, and spend the rest on veggies. That's the healthy way. Or you can live of 3 ramen packets a day and save money, but hate your life.
>>
hummus is ridiculously easy to make and has carbs, protein, and fats depending on what you use to make it.
throw in some bulk carb like rice/other veggies and spend the majority of your funds on meat.
yes you can live on 35$ a week
>>
>>7373896
Even the places that DO try to push their beliefs aren't going to refuse you if you sit through the sermon. It's not hard.
>>
>>7380675
>3000 on clothes for 1 year for a family of 3.
>That Mortgage
>That childcare cost
>>
bag of rice dozen eggs spam
>>
>>7386712
>>7386687
I can get chicken breast at $2/1lbs where I live.
>>
>>7376813
Mah nugga muh nigga
>>
>>7383790
Wow. That's strange because there is a TON and I mean a TON of chicken production in the shenandoah valley, just east and slightly north of you.
>>
>>7372489
I live on £20 - $28.70 a week

I get 1kg bags of Penne for around 50p, I buy about three a week, one bag does two meals, and one goes to keeping the cupboard full.
15 eggs for £1.50
Shitty cheddar, pre grated is cheaper for some reason £1.50
2 loaves of bread 45p ea
2kg of rice, 75p
3 bags of mixed veg £2
Gammon off cuts around £3 for 800g, got a freezer full.
Shit tier sausages and black pudding 99p ea
White mushrooms, 500g for £1.50

And enough left over to keep me black out drunk 3 days a week

Do you have Aldis in USA?
>>
>>7393058
a ton of chicken production only equates to around 1,250 chickens anon
>>
>>7387043
>talking
>at the library
Get out
>>
>>7374696
30-50$
>>
>>7378628
Y E S
E
S
>>
>>7373413

what about beer though?
>>
>>7374287

I'd always use a 20, 50, or 100 bill to do drugs
>>
>>7378628
Austrian Aldi is called Hofer.
2€ for 10 eggs...
>>
>>7380320
Same here. If I would only cook at home O would be way below the 5$ mark.
I usually make one meal per day (like spaghetti or rice with vegetables) in a quantity that I can eat 3-4 times of it. Dont really care that I always it the same for a day
>>
Reminder that for hundreds of years the majority of Ireland lived entirely off of potatoes, milk, and butter.
>>
>>7376794
your rent, food, bills, and other expenses are about $450 a month? assuming your $20k/yr is after tax. If its before taxes, then...

>I'm statistically richer than most people I guess

I know its anonymous here, but tone down the lying a little, you aren't actually going to make friends here.
>>
you can last like 2 weeks just with cheap peanut butter and jelly sandwiches all cost under 5 dollars
also things like big bags of rice for 5 bucks last you months

and if youre really poor basically just start eating vegan its 100x healthier and cheaper than meat, meat is just damn expensive compared to everything else
>>
>>7380648
>>7380659
>>7380663
>>7380672
>>7380684
>>7380695
>>7380700
>>7380703
thats cute and all but ive been there done that, the amount of time to do everything you are spending more time wasting potential revenue to try to prevent costs than actual costs

you should read a book on economics and get a job
>>
>>7372877
>1 lb of chicken thighs = $2.50
I think you're confusing breast with thigh. Thighs are like $1.20/lb
>>
It's easy to live off five dollars a day if you eat your own poop. But you gotta microwave it first to kill the bacteria.

>#nukeyourpoop
>>
>>7372590
fucking shit, KEK
underrated post
>>
>>7393598
Alldis are fucking as expensive if not more so than everywhere else here in Ireland, are they cheap in the UK?

Only thing that's better value in Aldi is chocolate
Thread replies: 221
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.