[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is your favorite style of beer? I'm kind of a pleb
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
What is your favorite style of beer?

I'm kind of a pleb when it comes to beer but from what I've experienced so far I'd have to say wheat beers are my favorite. I've liked every style I've had but the wheat beers I've had have all been nice and light, nuanced and refreshing

How bout you /ck/?
>>
>>7369964
Stick to drinking beer that tastes good to you. Avoid beer that doesn't taste good to you.

It's a complicated process.
>>
File: hero-winter.png (221 KB, 254x537) Image search: [Google]
hero-winter.png
221 KB, 254x537
I had this last night. It was atrocious. It tasted like a liquefied candy bar.

Why are people so hellbent on destroying beer?
>>
>>7369964
I prefer brown/scottish style ales the most, but I also like a good stout or porter. Pretty much any dark beer that isn't overly hopped.

IPAs are definitely my least favorite, every time I've tried one it tastes like I'm drinking liquid pine tree or something like that.
>>
>>7370004
I agree with you on IPAs. I've enjoyed the regular pale ales I've had a little bit, but IPAs just take it too far imo
>>
IPA i guess, but I drink stuff from most styles
I guess the top IPAs are my favorite but average stouts are better than average IPA
>>
>>7369964
ESB is the best, though I love a good Heffe or Kristalweisse
>>
>>7370004
around here dark beers made locally are most common and the IPA machine hasn't yet taken over so I am partial to both.

I have to say for wild wintry days stout and porter is the only thing, but sitting in out, on a hike maybe, on a long summer night with a strong resiny IPA is unbeatable
>>
File: bear-republic-racer-5-ipa.jpg (44 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
bear-republic-racer-5-ipa.jpg
44 KB, 800x600
I enjoy good beer, and try new things in all styles.

That said, if I could try a different Gueuze everyday I would, but for basic, everyday drinking it's obviously IPA.

Pic related has been my go-to for a few years now; it's something you know everyone will enjoy if you have friends over.
>>
>>7369967
Yeah, but I like to experience new stuff too, you never know what you're missing out on if you don't try it
>>
>>7369985
Because people are running out of new things to do with beer so they take it to an exaggerated unnecessary extreme and hope people like it or buy it

At least that's my guess
>>
>>7370130
No one is saying not to try new beers. If you try a wide variety you start to get a feel for what styles you prefer and what styles you don't.
>>
ice cold budlight or miller high life are good for me
>>
>>7369985

>why are people so hellbent on destroying beer

Obviously when something places in a well recognized beer competition the judges are all just pretending to like something to fit in, or otherwise trolling.

Yeah, that's surely the explanation.
>>
wheat beer and stout is my shit
>>
I don't think people is destroying beer; quite the opposite. Lot of different thing to try, not all good, but pick your own poison. Much better than 10 year ago when the choice was limited to two shitty ones.

Back on topic I think Czech pilsner are quite on the top. Taste, drink-ability, whatever I just love them :v
>>
Stouts, porters, and all their various subsets most of all. A robust porter or a milk stout is probably the real winner.

After that, pumpkin, quads, tripels, dubbels, krieks, sours, browns, and heffeweizens are my mainstays, roughly in that order.
>>
blonde ale
>>
>>7369964
Oatmeal stout.
Their was one particularly good one from Nebraska called "buffalo sweat." Tasted like a oatmeal cookie. It's really good with a good hunk of beef and potatoes.
>>
>>7370574
Why is oatmeal stout mostly just an american thing? Oatmeal is a perfect grain to include in a stout
>>
>>7370580
Not sure, though hearing no other country does it but America surprises me some.
>>
>>7369967
Yep. It's difficult when the most common things are something you hate. I don't like pilsners, and strongly dislike adjunct lagers and IPAs. So, basically any beer I had for the first 60% of my life that was just what other people happened to be drinking led me to believe I hate beer.

Actually, I fucking love beer, just had to find out there were styles out there that appealed to me. Weirdly, it's almost everything BUT IPAs and pilsners.
>>
File: Periodic_Table_Beer_Styles.png (236 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
Periodic_Table_Beer_Styles.png
236 KB, 1680x1050
>>7370130
Oh, by all means, try lots of different beers. But don't stray too far from what you know you like, or you'll be wasting money. Try lots of different wheat beers, and also start with styles that are similar to wheat beers.

Pic related is honestly not a bad guide. Definitely not perfect, but probably drifting over towards, say, belgian ales is going to be pretty close to what you like in wheat beers, while getting you headed towards broader horizons.
>>
>>7369964
this is the beer style ranking system:

god tier:
mixed fermentation barrel aged beers (tart saisons, american wilds/sours, belgian lambics, etc)
bourbon barrel aged strong ales (barleywines, imperial stouts, american strong ales)

great tier:
american IPAs and pale ales hopped with citra/simcoe/mosaic/amarillo/galaxy, etc
belgian table beers
non-BA american strong ales
german/czech/euro lagers

pretty chill tier:
browns (american/nut), porters, stouts
kettle soured beers (american "berliner weisse," includes fruited)

not very good tier:
hybrid beers - amber ales, belgian IPAs, etc
feel free to post a style and I'll place it in a tier.
>>
>>7370696
Wheat beers
>>
It really depends on the situation. I tend towards stouts, porters, or high-alcohol stuff like trippels during the colder months.

In the summer, wheat beers are great. Nothing beats a good Czech Pilsner on a hot day too. American pale ales are good in warm weather too.

I like English bitters or browns too when chilling at home. Not too fond of IPAs, but some of them are really good. Really, there's a good example out there of any style really. I just don't really like all of these weird abominations that are just gimmick. This goes for extreme, unbalanced IPAs as well as gay ass flavoured brews
>>
Pale ales or pale lagers are my go to. Not too hoppy, and plenty of flavor
>>
>>7369964
If I had to pick only one I'd have to say stout, but it really depends. I like Belgian ales, Belgian IPA and Tripel being two of my favorites. But really I like most styles. British ales, IPA, discreet Irish Red Ales, indiscreet American micro brew ales, sours etc. The diversity itself is the best thing with beer.
Wheat beers are usually too samey for my taste but I drink them occasionally. But for now I feel I've grown tired of them. Belgian Wit are an exception because they spice them up a bit so they're more interesting.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.