[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you like vietnamese food?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 14
File: banhmi.jpg (92 KB, 610x458) Image search: [Google]
banhmi.jpg
92 KB, 610x458
Do you like vietnamese food?
>>
>>7362919
No.
>>
>>7362921
y not
>>
yes but only when it's good and not dishwater tier pho, good thing I live in vancouver (well, victoria, but close enough)
>>
>>7362927
do you like pic related?
>>
>>7362932
yes, vietnamese subs are one of the best sandwich types
>>
>>7362919
OP I like it!
>>
>>7362924
It doesn't strike me as appealing.
>>
>>7362941
me too desu
>>7362950
k
>>
>>7362919
I like a good bowl of pho, but not big on the banh mi sandwiches. The pickled veggies and big sprigs of cilantro are overpowering.
>>
Is Vietnamese the new meme fotm :D
>>
love Vietnamese food in fact I just came back from HCMC and those niggers know how to make an oyster, don't get the hype behind these sandwiches though, tried one that was supposedly the most popular choice on trip advisor and it tasted pretty bland, although the bread was nice and crispy .
>>
>>7362975
what my dad does whenever he buys banh mi, he buy them in bunches (~$3 a sub) and he asks for the picked carrots and daikon separately in abag.
>>
>>7363024
I hope your dad likes salmonella.
>>
>>7363054
your dad likes it in the ass. in his ass. another mans penis, that is.
>>
>>7363054
>Viet people
>getting salmonella
>>
>>7362919
Some of it, yes. Just like with any other cuisine, it has it's good and bad dishes. Funnily enough, I personally think bahn mi and pho are horribly overrated. They pale in comparison to other Vietnamese dishes, I seriously don't know why people order them when they could have such better things.
>>
>>7362978
what does fotm mean?

i've gotten it down to either 'food of the month' or 'fresh off the memepress
>>
anybody got a good pork chop recipe like the restaurants? I tried making it one time but it was shit and not sweet
>>
>>7363124
What better things would you recommend?
>>
>>7363144
The second one
>>
>>7363513
Well, let's see....if you like Pho, try Bun Bo Hue or Sweet and Sour Shrimp and Tamarind Soup (I can't remember the viet name for it). Both of those are way better than Pho. Also Pho Bo Kho (beef stew), Bun Reu (or however you spell it, I can't remember, but it's a spicy and rich crab soup) and Duck and Egg Noodle soup. Hnnnnngg.........
As far as other dishes, Vietnamese crepes are fucking delicious (one of my favorites), vermicelli bowls (with grilled shrimp and pork, egg cake, shrimp cake, and pork floss); chicken or beef salad; Shaking Beef; Lemongrass chicken or shrimp; Burnt Rice (which isn't really "burnt" like it sounds) that comes with a bean curd skin wrap with Shrimp, bbq pork, and pork chop.....
There's so much, I can't even list it all here.
>>
this shit from my favorite little vietnamese joint.

it's the tits
>>
>>7363513
banh cuon

extremely popular in vietnam, entire street food markets are dedicated to different types of banh cuon.
>>
File: cach-nau-bun-rieu-cua-15.jpg (130 KB, 800x536) Image search: [Google]
cach-nau-bun-rieu-cua-15.jpg
130 KB, 800x536
>>7363513
My favorite is bun rieu. But homemade is usually way better what restaurants have.
>>
>>7362919
pho is godly
I wanted to have the goat when I first tried it but the little asian lady in broken english assumed I was offended by seeing goat on the menu and said we no goat, you have chicken,
>>
File: Mark Wiens.png (214 KB, 302x342) Image search: [Google]
Mark Wiens.png
214 KB, 302x342
>>7362919
Mark "smile and shine" Wiens made me love vietnamese food
>>
>>7363767
That guy is so food gay.
>>
>>7362934
this.

the vietnamese sub is god tier among sandwiches. perfect use of vegetable, bread, meats, sauce(if any). intoxicating
>>
I don't like it.

I love it.
>>
File: duck.jpg (475 KB, 1280x1281) Image search: [Google]
duck.jpg
475 KB, 1280x1281
>>
>>7363513
Canh chua ca, literally soup sour fish, which is exactly that.
Bun cha Hanoi, literally noodles grilled meat of the Hanoi style. The difference between the South's bun thit nuong, literally noodles meat grilled, and the North is that the North doesn't dump all that shit into a single plate and the North includes grilled meat patties with the grilled pork. Really, fuck the South.
Banh chung, literally cake steamed. One of the few times where Vietnamese cuisine is blunt about what you're eating. It's a steamed glutinous rice cake stuffed with mung bean and pork shoulder. Usually a New Years deal, but with the diaspora you can get it any time.
Banh loc goi, a dumpling from the old Imperial capital of Vietnam, Hue. It's a steamed cake, not sure what it's made of but I'm sure it isn't rice based, with minced pork and shrimp.
>>
Only when its cheap.
>>
>>7362919
I really do enjoy bahn mis. Haven't had much else though, other than pho a few times.
>>
File: bn7.jpg (72 KB, 1040x585) Image search: [Google]
bn7.jpg
72 KB, 1040x585
>>7363690
forgot pic
>>
>>7363024

hm, interesting. I bulk-buy these sandwiches at a little shop in Little Saigon, OC. And literally every single Vietnamese person there does the exact same thing--that is, buying the vegetables separately in a little plastic bag.
>>
>>7363495
You need a good mix of fish sauce and sugar.

>>7363739
I've had bun rieu all my life and I have to say it is one of my least favorite soups.

Bun bo hue is my favorite. My god. My family makes pretty amazing bun bo hue. I've had it at restaurants a few times, it's surprising how often they can fuck it up.

Also snails cooked in spicy coconut sauce is GOAT
>>
>>7364150
>Really, fuck the South.

Fuck you guys, bunch of dainty motherfuckers.

But we should really hate the Hue. Fuck those guys. Bunch of fucking rednecks.
>>
>>7363495
I can't remember it perfectly off the top of my head, but it was something like 1~3 tbsp of brown sugar, 2 tbsp of dark soy sauce (laochou), 1 tbsp of fish sauce, a little bit of maggi, ground up garlic, ginger, lemongrass, and enough sesame oil and water to create a paste when blended together. marinade overnight, take the pork out and grill/broil, make sure to use steak-cut pork shoulder
>>
>>7363513
Try the caon chue tran quan'n wern mein. Its very good
>>
>>7364150
>Banh chung, literally cake steamed. One of the few times where Vietnamese cuisine is blunt about what you're eating. It's a steamed glutinous rice cake stuffed with mung bean and pork shoulder.

That's good stuff. The first time it was served to me, I was like wtf is that, then I tasted the gloriousness. Looks bad, tastes wonderful.
>>
In New Orleans they put the bahn mis on po boy bread so it just tastes like a shitty po boy to me. I don't know what kind of bread actually goes on it or if I've ever had a real one.
>>
>>7364366
no they don't
>>
>>7364366
I doubt that's true.

Although I went to a Lee's a while back and it was fucking awful. The bread was way too fucking sweet. Fuck.
>>
>>7363692

This stuff rocks
>>
>>7364366
>bahn mis
>>
>>7364366
They are supposed to go on a crusty baguette
>>
File: banhmi.jpg (75 KB, 524x356) Image search: [Google]
banhmi.jpg
75 KB, 524x356
>>7362919
fuc yeah. Banh Mi's are delicious.
Anybody in minneapolis, go to Lu's on Nicollet. Best ones I've had.
Alternatively, Sun Foods in St. Paul (I think it's on University?) has hella cheap banh mi's. Like $3/sandwich or something.
>>
>>7362927
I, too, live in Victoria. Any recs for a nice Viet place? Don't say Pho Hoa.
>>
File: 1380084856743.jpg (29 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1380084856743.jpg
29 KB, 400x400
>Vietnamese place near Uni
>Decide to try their "Combo #1" sandwich, ingredients are all listed in Vietnamese
>Eat it, pretty good, but kind of strange tasting
>Get home, look up what was in the sandwich
>Headcheese & Pate
>mfw
>>
>>7364773
It's amazing once you've tried it right? You'll never look back again.
>>
There is a newish place near me that I've wanted to try but it honestly just looks like light broths and water chestnuts and shit. What should I try first? Something that'll pack a punch.
>>
>>7364740
decent pho at a place called pho-nomenal on shelbourne (has that perfect sour but meaty taste to it). but I haven't been living here enough to know of any others.
>>
>>7364366
french baguettes baked with rice flour if i recall correctly
>>
>>7364784
Sounds good. I go to that area to Fujiya at least once a week.
>>
>>7364791
it's not rice flour. I don't know how that rumor even started. It's basically a baguette, folded so that the air stays inside and the crusty bread collapses magnificently
>>
>>7364293
>fuck the south

fuck you commies
>>
>be viet
>tfw hate nuoc mam
>any food that usually goes with nuoc mam, I'd rather it be xi dau instead
>>
>>7364266

This is my #1 along with Bun bo hue

That's bun cha gio if you wanted to know

Pho is the most overrated shit.
>>
>>7363771
He is just gay gay.
>>
I don't eat dogs.
>>
>>7364940
he has a wife
>>
americanized viet food is great

shaking beef
pho
bahn mi
spring rolls
egg rolls

oh lawdy
>>
>>7364603
Yeah it's on university. I think it's sandwiched between dale and chatsworth, but it's definitely on the eastern end of university.
>>
>>7362919
>tfw best friends gf is from Vietnam
>knows all the good places
>orders in Vietnamese and gets the best food.
>>
>>7364957
isn't that just...viet food?
is there something special that happens to viet food when it crosses American borders?
>>
>>7365171
Less flavor, for the most part.
>>
>>7365193
I don't really believe this
it's not like American cilantro has less cilantro flavor to it or American fish sauce has less salt
>>
>>7362932
pic related is jewy on the filling though

Needs more meat, a bit more cucumber, coriander, and some kind of sauce (fish sauce stuff wuteva it is). Also needs carrot.
>>
>>7365620
the only sauce you should put inside a banh mi is fresh mayo
fuck shitty places that pour maggi all over the shit so all you taste is salt and fermentation
fuck places that pour sriracha everywhere
banh mi is about the balance of several strong flavors, mostly sweet, sour, spicy, cool, creamy, grilled, and aromatic. it should not taste of hipster ketchup or excessive salt
>>
>>7365215
Depends on where you get them, I suppose. I'm a bit spoiled as I live near Houston which has a very large Viet immigrant population. Anything you'd expect to see in Vietnam you can get there, even the same brands of condiments.

But I've eaten Bahn Mi elsewhere and often times you just don't see many of the same ingredients offered. Some places don't use fish sauce. Others don't have pate or any of the more "exotic" meats like headcheese or gio lua. Often times the quality of the baguette sucks or the char siu pork gets subbed out for something like pulled pork.
>>
>>7365652
I'm Vietnamese and I've had a lot of sandwiches at home and at different hole in the wall Vietnamese cafes. Only the really shitty banh mi places put fish sauce, soy sauce, or sriracha in their banh mi.

I agree with you.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (146 KB, 1369x912) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
146 KB, 1369x912
>be cis gender scum
>live with 2 vietnamese girls in a shared flat for one year
>one of them helps her parents in the family restaraunt on a regular basis
>pho
>hot pot
>spring rolls
>move out because they were nasty and weird

How do I make the perfect Pho?
>>
>>7365656
I've had shitty banh mi in Los Angeles because everything in banh mi is shitty
but when I lived in Louisiana I lived off of 3 dollar headcheese-pate-grilled pork fuckers with the crispiest bread
>>
>>7365664
because everything in LA is shitty. jesus how high am I
>>
>>7365657
Ok, well since you're Vietnamese you have no fucking idea how to makeva French
sandwich then.
>>
>>7365673
are you implying a banh mi is more french than vietnamese? it's derivative of french baking, but there is no analog to the banh mi in Europe
>>
>>7365673
nigga wat
>>
>>7365677
the charcuterie is also French-inspired.

It's fusion food that developed when Vietnam was a French colony. It clearly has influences of both culinary traditions.
>>
>>7365677
Im saying its like saying the Japs or Brits know how to make curry.

The existence of the Bahn Mi owes itself to the interpretation of french influences in Vietnam
>>
>>7365688
the banh mi is derivative of the baguette, but the texture and baking style are different. none of the fillings can be found in any part of European cuisine, they are all strictly based on Vietnamese traditions in meat and vegetables.
>>
File: thit heo kho dspl8.jpg (68 KB, 432x323) Image search: [Google]
thit heo kho dspl8.jpg
68 KB, 432x323
>hipsters think pho is overrated
>viet ppl eat pho for breakfast, lunch, or dinner

what's overrated is paying $5 for 2 spring rolls lmao. just buy the ingredients and make them yourself.

also the most underrated viet food is thit heo quay
>>
>>7365705
I hesitate to call it Vietnamese, because it's Chinese based, but my god, I could eat that shit everyday.
>>
>>7362919
I fucking love pork rolls
>>
>>7365694
now you get to learn shit: the entirety of world cuisine is in flux. Japanese curry is not the same as Indian curry and there's no reason why an Indian would be an expert at making Japanese curry.
>>
>>7365695
>none of the fillings can be found in any part of European cuisine

Lol, what? Bahn mi often contain Pate and headcheese. Those are very French. They often contain gio lua, which differs from a French terrine only by its inclusion of fish sauce. Common veggies include carrots, cucumber, and cilantro (aka coriander), all of which are certainly known to the French. Char siu is a common meat to include, but that has its origins in Chinese cooking, not Viet.
>>
>>7364468
I tried the shrimp salad in a condom once, didn't really care for it
>>
>>7364284
South Orange County here, can anyone recommend the best banh mi place in Westminster?
>>
>>7362919
No it's bad. I don't care if my opinion is unpopular, bahn mi if you want.
>>
>>7365914
Vietnamese pate and headcheese are not the same as what you get in France. carrots and cucumbers are known to the French, but daikon is an Asian vegetable and the style of pickling is strictly Vietnamese. Cilantro may be known to the French, but it has no substantial place in French cuisine. You're really reaching if you think the existence of similar fillings in France means banh mi is a French food. It may not have been possible without French influence in Vietnam, but it's far more Asian than European of a food.
>>
>>7362919
I bet that bread is hard as fuck, how can you even enjoy the contents?
>>
>>7362927
So you dont live in Vancouver anon. Don't bullshit.
>>
File: th.jpg (207 KB, 801x534) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
207 KB, 801x534
>>7362919
Viet food is fine, but like most cuisines of the world, startlingly derivative and lacklustre. Worse still are those who claim some sort of bold "authenticity" exists in the backwater streets of Hanoi where most are too poor to afford to cook well anyways.

Thai food will always reign supreme in south east Asia.
>>
>>7367380
>authentic food found in a big city

The best Vietnamese are found in rural villages, you nig nog.
>>
>>7367392
>go to dirt poor vietnamese vilage
>meals are all rice with some basic pickled veg
>some oyster soup occasionally
>literally zero cooking ability beyond chucking it all in a pot/wok and hoping for the best

yeah authentically fucking terrible you gormless cunt
>>
>>7367380
Pretty much. There's a reason their kingdom never fell.
>>
File: frenchwolf.jpg (102 KB, 360x359) Image search: [Google]
frenchwolf.jpg
102 KB, 360x359
>>7362919
>vietnamese food?

Looks more like French food with some indigenous flare from the native population.
>>
>>7367407
Nothing but a plus.
>>
>>7363739
>bun rieu
Ive had this before. it was ok when i had it, even though Bun Bo Hue is much better imo.

>>7363660
Which is best out of Shrimp Tamarind, Pho Bo Kho, or Duck Egg soup?
>>
>>7367411

No dispute there. My local viet place is good, near an air force base. I occasionally go there for lunch but it's like 9-10 bucks for a bowl of pho. That seems like a lot for a bowl of soup even if it is rich and good. I mean tack on a springroll, plus tip and tax and I've spent like $17 dolla for lunch.

There's a few other viet places in the area but I've been spoiled as I first tried vietnamese in vegas where there are a billion places to eat.
>>
File: Banh_Xeo.jpg (302 KB, 1719x1145) Image search: [Google]
Banh_Xeo.jpg
302 KB, 1719x1145
Yes
My favorite is Bánh Xèo.
I like pho and bahn mi, too, but there's other Vietnamese food out there.
>>
>>7367454
Oh fuck YES, I order that every time I go, even if I want to order something else too. Those are impossible to resist.
>>
>>7367421
Well, depends on whether you want something heavy or light. Out of those three, Shrimp Tamarind soup is probably my most favorite, because it has such a good sour and slightly sweet flavor. It's very satisfying.
>>
>>7367454
Banh xeo is definitely my favorite Vietnamese dish. Don't understand why pho and banh mi get so much more love.
>>
Fuck yes.
>>
>>7367570
Because people try things that are familliar to them. Pho is a meme food. Banh xeo is not.
>>
>>7367403
>not going to seaside villages

git gud scrub
>>
>>7367380
>Thai
>not derivative of Indian
Nobody in Southeast Asia has an original culinary culture
>>
>>7367353
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L583pmA8zV0
>>
>>7367454
That dish is shit compared with good Nasi Goreng though.
>>
>>7367454
>>7367457
>>7367570
>Paying $10 to eat banh xeo

l m a o

it's the equivalent of paying $10 for an egg omelette with things stuffed inside.

my parents would never ever order banh xeo at viet restaurant because you only get one and it's fucking expensive.
>>
>>7362950
have you even tried it?
>>
>>7363495
try one part fish sauce, one part brown sugar, and one part vegetable oil, if you have a pestle and mortar, mash the whites of a couple scallions with a clove of garlic and a bit of birds eye chilli then mix it all together. Then marinade the pork chops overnight if you can and grill them, ideally over charcoal. That's the closest I've ever come to replicating them from a restaurant.

Oh, and don't forget to serve it with scallion oil and nuoc mam cham
>>
>>7367728
oh fuck I forgot the lemongrass.
Pound the white part of a stalk of lemongrass into the mixture as well. Chances are you won't be able to make a paste out of it, I usually just slice it extremely thinn then work to bruise it and extract some of the oils.
>>
>>7362934
Its called Bahn Mi you fuckin cretin not a fuckin sub...

fuck you americans are pathetic cunts, you bastardize everything in the world and try relate it to back to some half assed pathetic fuckin chain 'foods' or ripoff because most of you fat fucks cant even leave your house let alone travel.
>>
No, but that might be because there are no Viet restaurants in NY that don't smell of mold and shit.
>>
>>7368038
>>7368089
I wasn't expecting bait on both ends of the spectrum, you're pretty good
>>
>>7367708
>paying $10 when I only pay for cost of ingredients
I'm Vietnamese, I can make it or ask my mom to make it. It's always filling to me because we fill it with pork, shrimp, onions and bean sprouts. Of course you'll pay more at a restaurant.
It's nothing like an egg omelet, either. It's more of a crepe.
>>
>>7367708

l m a o

>implying bahn xeo costs $10 instead of $4

Also, if ten dollars is expensive to you, YOU'RE POOOOOOOR .
>>
File: 1400958021560.jpg (93 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1400958021560.jpg
93 KB, 1280x720
>>7364266
How do I eat one of those? Do I mix it up or keep it the way it is when I chow down?
Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.