[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reverse cooking...?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 9
GUYS I NEED FOOD SAFETY EXPERTS HERE

I've taken Servsafe classes and I should be still certified, probably gonna expire in a year or so...

But anyways, what about cooking meat with COLD instead of heat?

I understand to kill parasites in sushi a hard freeze and good thaw SHOULD in THEORY disrupt cell membranes in parasites enough to basically kill them.

What you froze a steak of any meat, thawed in the fridge, and froze it again before bringing it up to room temperature sous vide style?

Would it be perfectly safe to eat?
>>
are you retarded
>>
File: 1407414879301.jpg (87 KB, 953x960) Image search: [Google]
1407414879301.jpg
87 KB, 953x960
>>7362806
>Thawing meat is the same as cooking it with cold
Epic
>>
>>7362829
Are you mentally deficient? He said he would hard freeze the meat twice before letting it get to eating temperature.

The two freezings would be the cooking with cold.
>>
>>7362806

Whilst technically, using cold temperatures does kill some bacteria but not enough that it could be considered a method of sterilization.

As well as the fact that it's more cost-efficient to use heat instead alongside being able to preserve the texture/taste of the food you would otherwise flash freeze and disrupt the membranes on said food.
>>
I've worked with bacteria that survive being frozen at -80C
Good luck finding an efficient way of killing those
>>
>>7362844

OP here

You seriously think those are in our meat already?

If so, I guess they are safe to eat

And aren't there bacteria that live in very hot temperatures?

This applies to you, too >>7362842
>>
>>7362842
Not the same guy, but any strain of E. coli survives -80C.

We keep our stocks at -80 in my lab indefinitely and they always revive.
>>
>>7362806
What about freeze drying it? You would end up with crunchy jerky.
>>
>>7362884
meant for >>7362877
>>
>>7362806

I think you're confusing parasites and bacteria. Parasites (killed by freezing) are common in seafood but are not generally a concern in terrestrial meat.

Freezing and thawing will NOT kill bacteria, which are very, very cold resistant.
>>
>>7362877

Yes, what you are referring to are extremophiles, which are microorganisms that can survive at higher temperatures, however they cannot survive at normal temperatures, i.e. room temperature or being refrigerated would prevent their growth/kill them.

Most foodborne pathogens exist in two forms, those that infect living cells after ingestion, i.e. salmonella, of which none are extremophiles.

And there are types of pathogens which feed on the food and then excrete toxins onto the food, S.aureus/Botulinum virus, these are generally not found in areas where food is prepared/packaged, neither do they have the time to breed, which is usually why tinned foods which aren't sealed are the most prominent cases of botulinum.

Anyways though, cooking via high heat is the most effective way to reduce bacterial levels to a standard of sterilization that is safe to consume, whilst also being able to maintain the taste/texture.

This alongside freezing not being able to effectively kill bacteria on a less than optimal cost is why most foods are cooked instead of freezing.

Some foods are frozen for consumption though, like sushi which is frozen for 48 hours to kill off the most likely found pathogens when fishing.

But overall, heating > freezing in terms of sterilization/preparation time/cost etc.
>>
File: 1281324335616.jpg (123 KB, 475x431) Image search: [Google]
1281324335616.jpg
123 KB, 475x431
>oh no! i burnt the meat!
>no need to worry, just cook it in reverse
>>
>>7362936
http://www.sci-news.com/othersciences/chemistry/science-uncook-egg-whites-02439.html
>>
File: 1279155504067.jpg (76 KB, 700x480) Image search: [Google]
1279155504067.jpg
76 KB, 700x480
>cooking in reverse
>>
You're gonna die ctfu
Cold kills things like parasites mostly but bacteria can easily survive extreme cold
There's a reason why medical tools are heated and not frozen when undergoing sterilization
>>
File: 1272171509635.jpg (16 KB, 466x357) Image search: [Google]
1272171509635.jpg
16 KB, 466x357
>cooking ln reverse
>>
File: 1271288256466.png (16 KB, 707x228) Image search: [Google]
1271288256466.png
16 KB, 707x228
>cooking in reverse
>>
>>7362955
because it's easier to get really hot than really cold
dummy
if it was quicker and cheaper to freeze something, they'd do that
>>
File: 1152733070165.jpg (133 KB, 935x606) Image search: [Google]
1152733070165.jpg
133 KB, 935x606
>cooking in reverse
>>
>>7362979
Also because freezing only retards bacterial growth and does not destroy bacteria by denaturing its proteins.
>>
>>7362913

OP here, I thought it was hard frozen for a week for sushi.

I've legit gotten lungworm from a sushi place, too.
>>
What's the difference between sautéing and broiling?

Which one do people normally do when cooking 8oz ribeye steak?
>>
OP here

>cooking in reverse

WHAT? What?

Haven't you heard liquid nitrogen can burn you? Haven't you heard about freezerburned food?

See? Cold can burn.

Just like using heat to cook.

I wonder if there are certain proteins and vitamins that cold cooking would destroy, kind of like how heat destroys some proteins and vitamins.
>>
>>7363007
I would recommend looking at a biology textbook to understand how heat denatures proteins. That's what cooking meat is: the denaturation and coagulation of proteins in the food you're cooking.

Cold "burns" are not literal burns. These are simply cell-death caused by cold trauma. Proteins are not denatured, but the cell (being unable to function at such a low temperature) initiates a cell-death program that is neither autophagy or apoptosis.

There is no chemical definition for a vitamin, and different vitamins are composed of different chemical classes. All animal proteins can be heat denatured, but that is not the same as "destroying" them. The amino acids that compose the proteins remain intact (unless combusted) but the tertiary strructure of the protein is ruined and the protein can no longer function the way it would in a living cell.
>>
>>7363007

No. You are so wrong.

Freezerburn is not a burn in the same sense caused by heat. Freezer burn is caused by the formation of ice dehydration foods.
Cold generally damages material by freezing water inside of it.

Cold doesn't denature proteins or damage molecular structure on its own.

I suppose if you got the bacterial so cold the that you managed to freeze the water inside of them and rupture their cell membranes it would kill them, but thats not likely.
>>
>>7363036
Bacterial cell membranes specifically resist this. If they had plant-like rigid cell walls, that would be another story.

That's why bacteria freeze so well.
>>
>>7363000
Bump please
>>
>>7363029
this is a great answer and /thread
>>
Shut up with your mememethods. You're unnecessarily adding 3 steps to the cooking process and gain nothing.
>>
File: image.jpg (610 KB, 1200x1780) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
610 KB, 1200x1780
>>7362806
>reverse flash freeze it
>>
>>7362806
Try it for a few months and let us know if you get sick
>>
>>7363000
>sautéing and broiling
Jesus christ, anon.

Google both terms.

Broil = direct heat from a nearby heat source. Think the flame or element at the top of your oven being turned on high, and having the food fairly close to it.

Saute is a quick fry in a small amount of oil(any source of fat) in a pan. Think quickly pan-frying some diced veggies.
>>
>>7362997
>tfw i just found out lung worms exist
WHY DOES MY CHEST HURT
>>
>>7362806
The membranes of 80% fucking water. THey'll just freeze, and when they warm up again, they'll still contain enough dna to replicate in your stomach, and enough active toxins to make you ill.
>>
>>7363255

I treated them by going on Amazon and buying an antihelmetic used for livestock. It cost me twenty bucks and was a shit ton cheaper than going to the doctor.
>>
>>7362806
1. that's just freezing, not cooking
2. the texture of the meat will be absolutely fucking awful if you freeze it multiple times
>>
I plan on taking the safe serve test. How do you get certified OP? Can you just take the test online and Google the answers?
>>
>>7363405

My last job had me certified
>>
>>7363274
How did you know you had them?
>>
>>7363809

Not many things make you cough up black phlegm and because it stopped after dosing, I'm pretty sure I had lungworm from raw crab.

NEVER eat crab sushi.
>>
>>7362806
Bringing it up to temperature sous vide already does enough to kill the bacteria. It's just not about cooking it at a high temperature, it's about temperature+time. So you can cook it at a lower temperature sous vide as long as you cook it for a long enough period of time.

Either way it wouldn't be good, cooking is an important part of preparing meat because much of the flavor comes from the rendering of the fat in the cooking process.
>>
>>7363000
This is why we need to make america great again
>>
The Reverse Seared Steak
Makes 2
2 Ribeye or New York strip steaks (1 to 1 ½ inches thick)
Kosher salt and course black pepper

1. Preheat your oven to 250°F.
2. Place your steaks on a rimmed baking sheet fitted with a rack. Season generously with salt and pepper.
3. Roast in the oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until an instant-read thermometer reads 125°F for medium rare. (Check them around the 40-minute mark first, as oven temperatures and steak thickness will vary.) Let rest 5 minutes.
4. In an EXTREMELY hot cast iron skillet or grill, cook steaks one minute per side, until a dark brown crust forms.
5. Let rest another 10 minutes, slice, and serve.
>>
I thought this thread would be about the above but I was successfully trolled. so..

Anybody actually done the above? It goes against my religion baking a steak first, but it makes so much more sense.
>>
It'll still be raw since there's no transfer of energy to the meat, only from it. How do you expect to cook anything without heat? Don't you understand basic Thermodynamics?

Also you're thinking of parasites in fish, not say beef or pork. But go ahead and try to make Beef or Chicken Sashimi, make sure to report your findings in a week.
>>
>>7365017
>beef sashimi
This is a thing. Also beef carpaccio, etc.

>chicken sashimi
This is also a thing. Sadly.
>>
>>7363274
How is twenty dollars cheaper than zero dollars? Do you live in Africa or something?
>>
>>7363000
I like broiling better. It seems easier and it's a bit more consistent in the time it takes.
>>
Are you high?
>>
>>7365095

I'm an American. We have a show in America called "Breaking Bad" and its about a guy that has to sell industrial quantities of methamphetamine in order to pay for his hospital bills. So if I find a cheap solution to a health problem(not often), I mention it whenever it's relevant.

>>7365432

I was drinking mouthwash. Equate version of Listerine. It's supposed to be relatively safe and beats paying ungodly amounts of taxes.

ALSO someone said repeated freezing would ruin the texture.. wouldn't it just make it very tender?
>>
>>7365872
>ALSO someone said repeated freezing would ruin the texture.. wouldn't it just make it very tender?

It would also be dry.

Google "drip loss".
>>
>>7362953
>>7362962
>>7362967
>>7362985

>samefagging in reverse

It's an interesting topic you dumbwit.
Not really doable, but interesting
>>
>>7365872
but anon that's not what breaking bad is about.

HE WAS DOING IT FOR HIS FAMILY
>>
>>7363274

American healthcare summarized in one post...
It's kind of sad
>>
>>7362979
>more efficient to freeze something than to heat something
Well we can see who HASN'T taken thermodynamics
>>
File: 1421420718598.jpg (40 KB, 349x642) Image search: [Google]
1421420718598.jpg
40 KB, 349x642
>>
>>7362877
>You seriously think those are in our meat already
Biochemistry bro here, we work with E. coli (the most common bacterium in the world) and we keep frozen stocks at -80. Every surface on the habitable planet is crawling with it, whether or not it is pathogenic
>>
>>7365927

OP here yesterday I checked unique posters compared to the number of posts and it appears it's not samefagging, just people jumping on the "OP is dumb" train.
>>
>>7362806
ServSafe verified here as well

It won't work, many bacteria can live in the frozen climate

also no one likes food that was frozen you cuck
>>
>>7366174
>no one likes ice cream
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.