[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fit/ here Just got done with my Monday night ritual of preparing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 8
/fit/ here

Just got done with my Monday night ritual of preparing chicken reserves for the week. Basically I just fill a pot with water and boil whatever chicken I can get my hands on. Tonight I did 11 chicken thighs on a very slow simmer. 3 thighs at first for an hour or so and when they finished I took them out, slid the meat off the bones, threw the bones back in the pot and then added 4 more thighs. Rinse and repeat.

What can I do to flavor up the profile a bit? I don't want to add any salt, oil or butter but anything else would be fine. I also always have a shit ton of broth afterwards, anything creative I can do with it besides throw it away and drink some of it?

By the way I eat salads, fruits, nuts, sardines, tuna and other meats grilled or lightly fried. The chicken is for a fast protein snack I can throw on a salad or make a sandwhich with mayo from.
>>
Nigga season that shit, rub some paprika into those thighs like they are Margaret Thatcher
>>
>>7358514
Add protein powder to it you miserable maggot.
>>
you could try making it like a chicken stock.

roast some mirepoix, get bay leaves, peppercorns, thyme, rosemary in a satchet and keep it in there to give it some nice flavor without salt.

Don't forget to deglaze your stock too, with a red wine or a vinegar or even a red wine vinegar
>>
Jesus Christ, /fit/ is disgusting.
>>
>>7358532
>try making it like a chicken stock
What's the difference between chicken stock and chicken broth?

>roast some mirepoix, get bay leaves, peppercorns, thyme, rosemary in a satchet and keep it in there to give it some nice flavor without salt.

Thank you.

>Don't forget to deglaze your stock too

Huh?
>>
>>7358541
whoops I meant to say deglaze whatever pan you're roasting the mirepoix on.

a chicken stock's purpose is to be used mostly for sauces as you get more flavor from the bones of the chicken. You get all that gelatinous flavor from the bone marrow that rises to the top of the stock. That shit is gold right there, but it's not necessary to keep.

A chicken broth is just the pot of water you got from cooking chicken, it's just seasoned water imo
>>
>>7358533
Well not everyone eats fast food everyday and debates over Taco Bell vs White Castle vs Wendy's vs Mcdonalds.
>>
>>7358514
>don't want to add salt
>no salt
You understand that sodium only really affects blood pressure, right? Salt, consumed in normal amounts, isn't going to affect your gains at all.

If you're preparing something like this weekly, you may want to look into sous vide.
>>
>>7358514
sriracha or tabsco sauce

maybe make a curry with curry powder
>>
>>7358560
Someone told me salt is the silent killer.

I didn't even know sous vide was a thing. I'll look into it but the price of entry is kind of steep just to cook some chicken. More expensive than let's say a pot and some water. One benefit of boiling chicken too is that the fat gets pulled out of the meat and rises to the top and as long as you do a slow simmer most of the protein stays in the meat.

Sous vide sounds good for things like steak.
>>
>>7358574
Salt is the silent killer because excessive salt consumption from salty snack foods causes hypertension (high blood pressure) which can wreak havoc on your system. It seems like you're doing a good job on the healthy eating side though, so seasoning your food with a reasonable amount of salt is going to do you no harm and improve your food massively; same with black pepper and a touch of vinegar in sauces.

Using healthy oils (polyunsaturated, like canola and olive) are also going to do you more good than harm, because they give your body and your organs the fat they need to survive in a way which actually benefits your heart.

/fit/ is a great place for workout help, but a terrible place for nutrition. If you want dietary advice, schedule a physical and discuss your diet with your doctor; he may even be able to refer you to a nutritionist who will connect you with resources to create meals that are healthy while also not removing your will to live.
>>
>>7358514
you should drink the broth its incredibly good for you
>>
>>7358574
No sodium at all will also kill you. Electrolyte imbalance is a thing.

But back to your main question
>boiled chicken
>no seasoning during cooking

Do you hate yourself OP? Because doing this every week is akin to self punishment.

Anyways, nothing you add now will really penetrate the meat flavor wise,it will just float on the surface. So go with bold spices. Hot paprika or some variation of curry or lots of herbs.

The stock can be used for making sauces or soup or for cooking rice and other grains. But as the other anon said, get some aromates in there. And possibly lots of black pepper .
>>
Oh yeah, stop boiling your fucking chicken. Broil it, roast it, grill it, but don't fucking boil it. Never boil proteins, it ruins the texture and saps all the flavor. There are few exceptions (fish in court bullion, for example) but you should almost never boil proteins. You're better off for your own sanity lightly dressing with peanut or olive oil and broiling or roasting. You don't have to go full rubbing butter under the skin, just a light dressing of oil, salt and black pepper. Still very healthy, but will taste non-shitty.

>>7358596
Also what this anon said. Aromats, bruv. Thyme, rosemary, some lemon or vinegar for acidity. Don't torture yourself.
>>
>>7358601
>Don't torture yourself.
But /fit/ told me that if I don't eat super lean proteins I'll always be a worthless piece of shit that deserves to do. I wanna make it bruh
>>
File: kamina.gif (87 KB, 512x288) Image search: [Google]
kamina.gif
87 KB, 512x288
>>7358620
/fit/ knows shit about exercise, okay? They don't know shit about nutrition. We know shit about nutrition, half the people here on a monday night are industry. Eat good food, just eat it smartly and in moderation.

Love food, eat it and love it, just make sure you have enough self-control and self-discipline to know you can't eat unhealthy food every day.

Also you're not a worthless piece of shit, anon. Your poor, wasted, boiled chicken is a piece of shit, but you can grow into a skilled, smart cook yet. Remember that the soul of a man, burning with passion, distilled through focus and discipline, can melt even the hardest steel.
>>
>>7358557

>everyone who doesn't the /fit/ bible is a fat disgusting slob who only eats fast food

No, /fit/ and fast food are equally cancerous, but at least fast food posters actually enjoy food.
>>
>>7358620
>not able to think for yourself

Confirmed not making it.
>>
File: 1409331445302.jpg (509 KB, 810x4757) Image search: [Google]
1409331445302.jpg
509 KB, 810x4757
>>7358631
>>7358638
Maybe.

What's good food?
>>
>>7358631
/ck/ is absolutely the worst board for any cooking or nutrition advice.
You thick cunts think unwrapping a Big Mac is food preparation.
>>
>>7358653
http://www.amazon.com/Ad-Hoc-Home-Thomas-Keller/dp/1579653774/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455005948&sr=8-1&keywords=ad+hoc+at+home

Join us, my friend. Join us on the other side.

Where are you based out of? Give me a city.
>>
>>7358656
Calm down, cobber.
>>
File: manning-bud.jpg (52 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
manning-bud.jpg
52 KB, 600x399
>>7358658
Close to Manhattan.

>flaky biscuits
>chicken pot pies
>New England clam bakes
>cherry pies

Bruh.
>>
>>7358656

/fit/ once again confirming that they're nothing but fatties who don't understand there's a middle ground between fast food and unseasoned, boiled chicken.
>>
File: nanterre.jpg (75 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
nanterre.jpg
75 KB, 960x540
>>7358668
You're asking me what good food is when you're sitting next to the fine dining capital of the united states. Fuck me, man. Go exploring. Walk into a restaurant that scares you. Order the charcuterie board, or the roasted lamb's brain. Find the food that scares you and wolf it down like a madman. There's a world of flavor and power outside your door and you're boiling chicken without salt. I should start a charity which hunts sad fucks like you down and forces you to go try a tasting menu.
>>
File: santo dios!.jpg (262 KB, 1919x1012) Image search: [Google]
santo dios!.jpg
262 KB, 1919x1012
I'm double-posting but who gives a fuck, this is important. This is your call to motherfucking gustatory and olfactory arms. Shock your system with the brutal spice of India or the raw aromatic earthiness of north africa or the middle east. Eat Korean food so goddamn hot you'll call 911 and go to the motherfucking hospital. Go outside, motherfucker. Go outside and taste those roses you've been smelling.
>>
>>7358680
I'm boiling chicken to get lean and big. I've had all the great foods in the area but they are not conducive to getting results. Eating a french salad with lemon juice, a dab of oil, sprinkled lightly with cheese and topped with nut slices doesn't provide you with substantial nutrition. Eating crab with avocado, cherry tomatoes, red onions and a mustard vinaigrette barely provides enough protein.

Trust me I've eaten good food before but there are goals here. Unless you have some low fat, low carb way of consuming 100 grams of protein a day.
>>
>>7358703
Post a recent body pic.
>>
File: mostrecentbodypic.jpg (56 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
mostrecentbodypic.jpg
56 KB, 480x360
>>7358706
>>
>>7358726
Nice abs, faggot.
>>
>>7358631

Glad to see some sense here.
+ 1 for industry bros here on Monday nights.
+2 for Burning passion
>>
>>7358703
I don't even work out and I am consistently above 80g of protein just eating normal food. And I barely eat any meat at all. You must be doing something terribly wrong if you have problems getting 100g of protein without malnutrition (low fat). I eat 200g of cottage cheese with some vegetables for breakfast, that's 23g right there. An egg, some regular cheese for dinner, a couple nuts and I'm at 50-60. Another 10+ from various staples, 10 from the fruits and vegetables. Now if I added lean meats there, I'd easily exceed 100 every day, especially if my calorie intake was higher from bulking or for exercise (I average 2300)
>>
>>7358738
>+ 1 for industry bros here on Monday nights.
>+2 for Burning passion

I hear that, broham.
>>
>>7358728
Not knowing who that is faggot.
>>
The least you could do is make a decent soup. You can also use onion and cabbage, add a half of a small cabbage, a third of celery, and a whole onion in addition to the seasonings. A good stock isn't made with just broth. Any aromatic vegetable makes it taste even better. The marrow is beneficial to your joint health too. You can add beans to a long boil for extra fiber too. Any meat is great if you toss it in a flour seasoning mixture and brown the meat at a med-high heat in olive oil and garlic. A little broth added at the end picks up that extra flour and turns it into a paste that you'll add more to thin out. That's how you thicken up the stew or you get it however thick you want and eat it. Flavor is the best. Even for the thin broth just crack them bones and boil most of the water off and simmer it down untitled it brown the bottom. Then add more water, do that a few times to get a condensed version that you can use for a lot of things.
>>
>>7358787
I'm lactose intolerant you faggot. No milk.
>>
>>7358847
Cheese isn't milk you clown. People who are "lactose intolerant" can eat cheese and if they don't it's only because they want to feel extra special. Any anyway, the point is that you're misguided if you think you have to eat a low-fat diet to get adequate protein. What a joke.
>>
File: 1448803355880.png (582 KB, 650x676) Image search: [Google]
1448803355880.png
582 KB, 650x676
> start making my own bread and pasta
> really get into cooking
> start going to the gym
> trying to balance both great foods and exercise (I'd be lying if i said all i cooked was healthy shit)
I CAN'T.
>>
>>7358574
Really? You're worried about fat in muscle?

Fucking kill yourself seriously
>>
>>7358855
>Cheese isn't milk you clown
Not that guy but http://www.stevecarper.com/li/list_of_lactose_percentages.htm

American cheese can have three times the amount of lactose as regular full cream milk.
Learn before you preach.
>>
>>7358871
You fucking idiot.

American cheese is not cheese. It's not even legal to sell it as just "cheese" in the US because it isn't cheese. Yeah, if I mash a bunch of random dairy products together and add a shitload of dry milk then call it cheese, of course it's going to be full of lactose. It also isn't cheese and it has nothing to do with the issue at hand, which is that lactose intolerant people can eat cheese.

Lactose per unit of mass is irrelevant. What matters if lactose per calorie or typical serving. Typical cheese contains 5-10 times more calories per unit of mass, so you'd have to consume like 1000 calories of just cheese in a sitting to match a glass of milk.
>>
>>7358871
Who the fuck eats American cheese?
Poverty level try hard
>>
>>7358855
You're a fucking idiot. Cheese has lactose in it dense piece of shit. Only very specific cheeses low levels of lactose and aged cheeses by the process of aging have their lactose level lower as well. Lactose intolerance comes in different levels, some people just get gassy but for those who are very lactose sensitive even age cheeses and milk products in general fuck up their digestive system. You ignorant piece of shit.
>>
>>7358881
I just used the American as an example.
Yes some lactose intolerant people can tolerate some cheeses but it's usually the hard cheeses and almost never the soft cheeses like cottage cheese which IS the issue at hand because that's the specific cheese that was mentioned.

Again, learn before you preach. Don't repeat second hand opinions as fact, especially with issues that effect people health.
>You fucking idiot.
>>
>>7358881
Lactose intolerance comes at different levels you stupid fuck. There is no universal tolerance. Some can tolerate milk to a degree and certain cheeses while others cannot consume milk or anything with trace amounts of lactose.

You dumb piece of shit.
>>
>>7358905
>>7358907
>>7358906
I'm just not going to reply anymore since you people are clearly unaware of the science and are just posting bullshit you read on a some mom's blog rather than a published paper. So I'll leave you with the advice to look at any scientific treatment of LI and you will find no evidence anywhere of people reacting negatively to "trace amounts" and "aged cheeses" because it's physiologically impossible.
>>
>>7358584
you can't 'absorb' collagen, it's produced internally. the collagen in bone broth is broken down like any other protein and digested into amino acids
>>
>>7358921
>i've been beaten so i'm going to retreat but before i do i'll just move the goal posts for one final attempt to save face before running away with my tail between my legs
whatever. just don't talk about things you know nothing about ever again. glad we had this chat.

btw, anonymous has no face to save. forever the newfag you will be.
>>
Jesus fuck this thread... It takes one retard that boils chicken in stagnant unseasoned water and the droves of ignorant idiots soon follow...
>>
>>7358921
>>7358958
samefag dummy spit

>>7358514
How do you know when the chicken is cooked?
Why to you return the bones into the water?
Genuinely curious because I want to do this.
>>
>>7358631
/fit/ knows exercise like /lit/ knows books, /v/ knows video games, and /ck/ knows food.

For every person who actually knows what they're talking about there's a hundred fucking retards talking out their ass. This is 4chan. It attracts socially retarded misfits.
>>
>>7358921
Nice try kid. Lactose intolerance comes at different levels and some people are more tolerant than others.
>>
How long does the cooked chicken last in the fridge?
Can it be frozen?
Is there an easy way to tell when the chock is cooked? And is there any reason why I could seperate the meat from the bone while it's in the water?
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.