[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone in the service industry here? Managers or anyone in fine
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: waiter-tray_full[1].jpg (34 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
waiter-tray_full[1].jpg
34 KB, 1000x667
Anyone in the service industry here? Managers or anyone in fine dining?
I'd really love to serve in a fine dining setting but I don't have prior experience serving in anything close.

A VERY popular spot in my city is holding open interviews this week and I plan on paying them a visit.

I've been serving for over a year at a higher-end chain ($16-$25 per entree) but didn't learn a few key things that would probably be really beneficial. To be specific, I don't know too much about wine like how to differentiate between them or their characteristics. Also, I won't be turning 21 for another few weeks.

Would this be a deal breaker for the hiring manager?
I would seriously love to work there.
>>
>>7351594
one thing to understand is that regardless of the "class" or price of a restaurant. the people will still 60-70% of the time be completely shitty.
the higher the price point the more shitty the complaints. Be prepared to deal with that on the regular. also expect to work with a lot of people who don't like your job as much as you do.

(was a bartender then a "mixologist" for 4 years)
>>
>>7351602
>people will still 60-70% of the time be completely shitty
That's basically a given. I don't care too much when the check average will be at least $60-80 per person without booze
>higher the price point the more shitty the complaints
I could see that, but the last point will still apply
>expect to work with a lot of people who don't like your job as much as you do
doesn't sound like anything will change

I'd actually like to work in the bar too. How did you get into it? And what are you doing now?
>>
>>7351594
It will probably depend on how much they need another employee.

When I hire, if I've lost more than one person recently, I need to fill the spot more quickly and care more for experience/qualifications. If you aren't 21, with at least a prior year experience, or you don't seem like a fast learner, I'm not interested.

If I'm just hiring to build a crew then I don't care as much about your age or experience. If you seem capable of learning and have a good attitude, you're the person I look for. I can train you to do what's best if I have time to.

So I guess just don't be a dumbass. Be pleasant and not too chatty. Be eager to learn.
>>
>>7351636
>dont care so long as the checks big

fair enough but like I said the higher up in price the place. I lost a tip from a 140$ solo bill because I put 4 ice cubes in the guys burbon when he asked for 3 and no more (was a busy night and I had a wait bar bill avalanch)

one of my waitresses that night had a refusal to pay because the fork was in the wrong spot on the setting (this is at a "the keg steakhouse" a mid level steak house)
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.