[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I find chorizo delicious, but am now more conscious of the presence
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8
File: IDShot_540x540.jpg (34 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
IDShot_540x540.jpg
34 KB, 540x540
I find chorizo delicious, but am now more conscious of the presence of nitrates in it.
How clear was that WHO finding on the link between cured meats and cancer? Is chorizo as much of a risk as bacon?
>>
>>7340012
>Giving a fuck
>>
>>7340012
nitrates should be the last thing you should be worried about when eating chorizo
>>
You should be more concerned with the preservatives that are in all the processed shit you eat then a few nitrates in the food of the gods.
>>
>>7340050
What else is there?
>>
>>7340129

The guy who said that is probably confusing the Spanish chorizo you posted with the Mexican one. The latter is infamous for containing "nasty bits" like lymph nodes and other offal.
>>
>>7340012
That link has been known for a long time, just recently they added them to the list, but as other carcinogenics its all about the amounts and how often you eat.
The way they do it is with statistics, like for cigarettes, dont quote me on the numbers but for an increase of 10% in odds of getting lung cancer they estimate you have to smole like two packs a day for like 10 years, the odds diminish if you smoke less or for less time, for cured meats Its a similar thing for like a 5 percent increase you have to eat them daily for years, dont think you're getting cancer because you eat them once in a while, inform yourself on the numbers and act on it, dont think you will have to cut it from your diet completely, moderation is key
>>
File: No.jpg (5 KB, 195x241) Image search: [Google]
No.jpg
5 KB, 195x241
>>7340151
>Mexican one
>>
>>7340116
>nitrates aren't preservatives.
You're a fucking idiot, son.
>>
>>7340156
Also didnt see your question till the end but the nitrites are formed in the smoking and curing phase I think so if one is cured less time it should have less but I supose you can find that info around
>>
>>7340166

He didn't say that nitrates weren't preservatives.

There are other preservatives (not just nitrates) which are just as, if not more, worrysome than nitrates are.
>>
File: 1421522818987.jpg (21 KB, 435x419) Image search: [Google]
1421522818987.jpg
21 KB, 435x419
>>7340012
>mfw I see the dollar priced chorizo contains salivary glands and lymph nodes.

I was taken aback at first, but it's fuckin' delicious so I don't give a shit.
>>
>>7340175

No. Sodium nitrate is added as a preservative. It's on the ingredient list.
>>
>>734001
found this article, very simplified but w/e
http://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org/2015/10/26/processed-meat-and-cancer-what-you-need-to-know/

>Researchers are still trying to pin down exactly how red and processed meat cause cells to become cancerous, but the main culprits seem to be certain chemicals found in the meat itself.

>In red meat, the problems seem to start when a chemical called haem – part of the red pigment in the blood, haemoglobin – is broken down in our gut to form a family of chemicals called N-nitroso compounds. These have been found to damage the cells that line the bowel, so other cells in the bowel lining have to replicate more in order to heal. And it’s this ‘extra’ replication that can increase the chance of errors developing in the cells’ DNA – the first step on the road to cancer.

>On top of this, processed red meats contain chemicals that generate N-nitroso compounds in the gut, such as nitrite preservatives.

>Cooking meat at high temperatures, such as grilling or barbequing, can also create chemicals in the meat that may increase the risk of cancer. These chemicals are generally produced in higher levels in red and processed meat compared to other meats.

>But there are other theories too – some research has suggested that the iron in red meat could play a role, while others suggest the bacteria in the gut might play a supporting role too.

>So despite what you may hear, it isn’t about the quality of the meat, or whether it’s from the local butcher or your supermarket. The evidence so far suggests that it’s probably the processing of the meat, or chemicals naturally present within it, that increases cancer risk.
>>
>>7340180
Fuck off, son.
>samefag
>>
>>7340201
Actually no Im:
>>7340156
>>7340175
And
>>7340193
Not
>>7340180
>>
File: abandon.gif (529 KB, 250x106) Image search: [Google]
abandon.gif
529 KB, 250x106
>>7340215
>Damage Control
>>
Get fresh chorizo instead, or make your own fresh chorizo. Viola! No Nitrates.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-02-03-20-06-58.png (156 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-02-03-20-06-58.png
156 KB, 720x1280
>>7340216
>>
just dont eat cured meats all the time and you'll be fine. >>7340156 this dude has it right. moderation is key. If you want, look for "uncured" bacon and stuff without nitrates like that, that's fine, or just don't eat cured/red meats every day. Apply the same principle that you have (if you do) for fish/mercury for red meats.
>>
Who cares you're going to die anyways.
>>
>>7340151
>Mexican one
What are you talking about?
>>
>>7340218
>fresh chorizo
And what would that be, exactly?
>>
>>7341547
I think a lot of people have an aesthetic notion of what fresh means, they think fresh, they think local butcher they think artisanal, thats the fault of the whole natural/health food movement. Obviously any cured meat has a conservation process, thats what curing is by definition, even if its done with the most artisanal methods
>>
File: 1310124983565.png (60 KB, 214x214) Image search: [Google]
1310124983565.png
60 KB, 214x214
>>7340183

i eat cheap chorizo raw all the time
>>
>>7342445
It doesnt need to be cooked, even though it tastes better cooked, its not raw, thats what curing is, im really sperging over this, do people not know how food is made
>>
File: 1453859232582.jpg (34 KB, 552x517) Image search: [Google]
1453859232582.jpg
34 KB, 552x517
>>7342445
>>7342457
Nononononononononononononoooooooooooooooooooooo
>>
Salt and sugar are fucking preservatives too, but the nitrites and nitrates they use cure the meat faster. It's just a different type of salt.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4szyEbU94ig

these are the same stats that lead to the classification made by the iarc last year. it definitely does increase your risk of cancer. that's why the iarc groups it with smoking and other shit: they're only concerned with classifying risks according to how *proven* and *clear* they are. processed meats definitely increase your risk of cancer. however it isn't by much, and it's nowhere fucking near the same risk as stuff like smoking.
>>
>>7340151
>The latter is infamous for containing "nasty bits" like lymph nodes and other offal.

So? There's nothing wrong with eating offal unless you're a pussy vegan bitch. Grow some balls and eat what tastes good.
>>
>>7342457
>do people not know how food is made

You apparently don't.

Spanish chorizo is cured. Mexican chorizo is RAW and is NOT cured. They are totally different things.
>>
File: Best-Chorizo-in-the-USA.jpg (113 KB, 700x465) Image search: [Google]
Best-Chorizo-in-the-USA.jpg
113 KB, 700x465
>>7341538
>>What are you talking about

>>7341547
>fresh chorizo
And what would that be, exactly?

Pic related. Mexican chorizo is a fresh, RAW, sausage.
>>
>>7342957

Agreed 100%. I love the stuff. I was simply pointing out why some people freak over it.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.