[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a whole raw chicken and I want to make chicken stock.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: chicken-stock-horiz-c-1500.jpg (87 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
chicken-stock-horiz-c-1500.jpg
87 KB, 1500x1000
I have a whole raw chicken and I want to make chicken stock. Do I just throw it in a slow cooker or should I roast the chicken first?
>>
why would you make stock with an entire chicken?
are you just going to throw away the meat?
>>
Roast the chicken and use the flesh however you want.

Toss the carcass with onion, carrots, vegetable scraps and a handfull of peppercorn in a stock pot and cover with water. Simmer for a couple of hours. Strain and discard the solids.

No use in wasting the meat to make stock. Eat thr chicken, make stock with what is left.
>>
>>7305378
Roast the whole chicken, quarter it (take the thigh and breast meat at least), then put the carcass on a crock pot overnight. Scoop out any solids, and you'll have a stock.
>>
>>7305396
>are you just going to throw away the meat?
That's the plan.
>>
>>7305396
Can't the meat be put into the soup later?
>>
>>7305378
Where do you keep the stock and how long can you keep it without it going bad?
>>
>>7305571
Not op, but 2-3 days in the fridge or 4-6 frozen.
>>
>>7305398

This
This
This
This

Used the chicken to make chicken salad, sandwiches, or /ck/ might even give you a recipe for aspic.

Use the bones for broth, and the meat for eatin'
>>
>>7305398
>>7305405
roasting the chicken makes a darker, different tasting stock.

OP, quarter the chicken, remove the breasts if you can do so, and toss it in a big pot
>enough to cover the ingredients by 1"
with a handful of carrots, two onions peeled and halved, a whole bunch of salt and pepper and a bouquet garni.

bring it to a boil and immediately reduce to a simmer, cook for 25 minutes.

remove the carcass and let it cool
>or be a madman and do it hot
remove as much meat as you can, it's cooked and will keep at this point.

return every other scrap to the pot and LOW SIMMER for a minimum of 2-3 hours
>I do it overnight
strain the stock into a new pot and discard the garbage. you can use cheesecloth if you want a prettier stock. put it back on the stove and simmer it again until the volume is reduced at least half.

cool the pot overnight and if you didn't fuck up you will have a pot of jellied stock
>bone broth lmao fuggin hipster
covered with a layer of bright yellow fat. scrape the fat off carefully and save it in the fridge, it's pure magic. use the stock as needed and expect to dilute by 2. if it tastes weird or bland, add salt.

>tl:dr
>boil chicken+stuff
>get meat
>boil remains
>strain
>reduce
>remove fat
>???
>profit

le underpants gnomes meme wa la!
>>
>>7305626
doesn't letting it cool overnight put it int he danger zone too long for safety?
I was always told to chill it as fast as possible, to the point of pouring it into lidded jars and dropping them in a ice bath
>>
>>7305658

Do you have a pressure cooker?

You can safely pressure can stock. I did so with homemade stock a year and a half ago, and it's still shelf stable and tasty.
>>
>>7305658
I've always put frozen bottles of water into my stock to cool it down fast. Probably a bad idea though seeing as theyre plastic but whatever, works for me
>>
>>7305658

only if you're ServSafe Nazi Plan. keep it covered and the steam guarantees a sterile environment and you can cool it after about a hour or so, if you can touch the pot with your hands, then you can put it in the fridge to cool overnight without completely fucking your fridge
>>
>>7305378
OP you have never made stock have you?

1. remove the meat, that's the breasts, leg and thigh meat, the back section

2. remove any stuffing and organs from the chicken

3. smash whats left into a disk, don't go overboard just crush it down with a chopping board

4. if you don't have a pressure cooker, just add it into a pot half full of water

5. bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer

6. add two roughly chopper onions, two sticks roughly chopped celery, a roughtly chopped carrot (skin is fine)

7. add your spices and herbs

8. simmer gently for 3 hours, add more water if you need to; remember you're trying to extract the flavour

9. turn off the heat, skim any muck off the top of the soup
pass through a fine strainer

now you have stock, and all the prime cuts of the chicken to do something else with
>>
>>7305396
You can eat the meat after straining it. It has less flavour, but has an excellent texture and is useful for a variety of things.

This goes for meat in all other stocks. Even vegetable stock, except in that case the vegetables don't have an excellent texture. They just make good filler.
>>
>>7305378

You don't make stock with a whole chicken, you make stock with the bones and the trimmings you won't use otherwise.
>>
>>7306940
Try making it with a whole chicken next time and take note of the difference.
>>
>>7305378
Don't listen to these fags. Whole chickens are really cheap and the resulting stock is better than just bone stock.
>>
File: 8.jpg (27 KB, 719x627) Image search: [Google]
8.jpg
27 KB, 719x627
>>7306865

>remove the meat from the chicken
>>
>>7306949

The more meat you have the more flavor you get. On the other hand, meat doesn't provide much texture (gelatin); but the bones & feet do. A good stock needs a balance of both.
>>
Just use a Knorr stock pot.
>>
>>7305409
you're a fucking idiot
>>
Does the chicken need to be roasted? I like to slow cook whole chicken, and they give off a lot of liquid (which I save as broth also) and I've just thrown the carcass out.
>>
>>7305378

Boil chicken in water with garnish. Skim, remove chicken. You can roast the chicken beforehand if you want to. Or you can do that afterwards depending on what you want to do with it.
>>
>>7305409
wtf is wrong with you
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.