[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I went to a steakhouse with my family tonight and asked for my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 12
File: steak%20well%20done[1].jpg (888 KB, 1944x1296) Image search: [Google]
steak%20well%20done[1].jpg
888 KB, 1944x1296
I went to a steakhouse with my family tonight and asked for my steak to be well done( don't want to get sick). There was a couple embarrassed looks and everyone made fun of me for that.

Is this just a meme, what's so wrong with well done steak?

Pic related, looks really good.
>>
was it moist and delicious or dry and sub par?
>>
>>7298733
I liked it. Not sure what you mean by moist or dry
>>
>>7298727
A perfectly cooked medium-rare steak is like a symphony; the meat appears in a gradient from the outer layer of crust and spices to the innermost layer of raw primal meat, running through every level in between.

A well-done steak is like a tuba ensemble, where there's the one guy on the outside who's got a little spice and then everything else is just lame.

The kitchen staff is also likely to give you a subpar piece of meat if you order well-done because they don't think it will matter to a cretin such as yourself.
>>
>>7298750
To be honest, I don't pay them to think. I would expect to get the same meat as everyone else.
>>
>>7298727
>don't want to get sick

Bacteria are on the outside of the meat, it's the ground meats you have to worry about.
>>
>>7298752
>he doesn't think running a kitchen requires thinking
I hope they spat on it too.

Ordering well-done is just saying, "I know you do this professionally and can do some work that's worth being proud of, but fuck you I want you to just make sure it's as safe as possible."
>>
I cook well done steak all the time. It's always just as moist and delicious as a med rare steak. I'll usually throw it in a grill at about 200 for 30 minutes then sear it and let it rest a few minutes. Brushing it with olive oil every ten minutes and flipping it helps as well.
>>
>>7298727
OP it would have been cheaper to just eat your parent's tire.
>whoever orders a medium well steak deserves to eat one meal for the rest of their life.
>>
>>7298750

I hate your simile
>>
>>7298765
>30 fucking minutes.
How can one season a hockey puck to taste good?
>>
>>7298727
Y dont u just go to bk?
>>
I just don't like medium rare, it tastes like half raw, half cooked blood.

Medium is best, anything below that is just being the pretentious kind of asshole that eats awful shit just because it's considered "high cuisine"
>>
>>7298764
It's just a job, I don't care how they feel. Part of that job involves fulfilling customer requests, however unusual. Do your job or get out of the service industry.
>>
>>7298727
Fucking pleb
>>
>>7298770
I hate you, faggot.
>>
>>7298799
If you'd ever met the type of person who works those jobs for life, you'd know better than to expect that from them. They're typically overworked, unambitious and bitter. Making unusual and lame requests tends to piss them off.

I wouldn't give you a fucked up piece of meat if it were me cooking, but it's common practice. You're welcome for the warning.
>>
File: Do you concur.jpg (29 KB, 666x360) Image search: [Google]
Do you concur.jpg
29 KB, 666x360
>>7298727
>>7298762

I concur.
>>
>>7298727
>( don't want to get sick).

Unless you live in some backwards fuck country with no hygiene standards eating steaks rare is perfectly fine. It's ground meats you have to be worried about infections, not steaks.
>>
File: degree-of-doneness.jpg (24 KB, 402x728) Image search: [Google]
degree-of-doneness.jpg
24 KB, 402x728
Friendly reminder that 145°F (Medium Rare) is proven to be perfectly safe by literally every public health department. Stop overcooking your food you idiots.
>>
>>7298727

> is ordering a steak well done a meme

yes, yes it is
>>
Well done or medium well steak is actually really good if you have good quality meat that isn't a really tender cut. Obviously a filet mignon should be rare but some nice medium well skirt steak is delicious
>>
>>7298775
>30 minutes at 200f
>barely hot
>>
>>7298727
Is OP trolling, or are there really people this retarded on this thread?
>>
>>7298752
Why would you get the same piece if you want it ruined?

Cooks will give you the piece that most resembles shoe leather, then microwave the shit out of it. It doesn't really matter because you are requesting that the meat is destroyed before it gets to the table.
>>
>>7298765
>30 minutes

Two possible options:
1. You have never had decent steak
2. You are a filthy, filthy liar
>>
>>7298742

aaaaAAAAAAAHHHHH
>>
>>7298727
Here's the thing. If you're in a first world country and in a reputable establishment you will not get sick from eating a steak that's rare. The restaurant's reputation is far too valuable to risk it. Also if you order a well done steak, as others have pointed out, they don't have to give you the freshest piece of beef. They can give you a steak from the old stock in storage and you cannot tell the difference, however with an order that's rare - medium they have to use a fresh one. When I worked in a popular steakhouse all the old meat was kept for well done orders and we never had a complaint.
>>
>>7298727
>and asked for my steak to be well done( don't want to get sick)

Fuck off, and take your pathetic bait with you.
>>
>>7298750
>the meat appears in a gradient from the outer layer of crust and spices to the innermost layer of raw primal meat, running through every level in between.

>medium rare

Not if you cook it correctly
>>
>>7300204
Nah m8 I usually do medium rare but I got pretty distracted that night and barely had any charcoal left to make a decent fire hence 200 Fahrenheit with a few minute sear once it heated up all the way.
>>
>>7298727
Every once in a while I'll order a steak 'ruined' and specify they cook the shit until it's a charred, dessicated strap of leather. I really like that, sometimes.
>>
>>7298727
order and eat your bloody steak the way you like it, who cares about the looks. I would have gone for salmon anyway.
>>
>>7301502
>steakhouse
>eating salmon

Just eat a salad and where a dress
>>
>>7298919

Most restaurants I've visited cook a degree below what's listed so if you order rare, you get a medium-rare on that chart, and if you order well-done, you get an oversized gizzard.
>>
>>7301692

Yes, wouldn't want to appear emasculated. Better get the steak like this tough man over here.
>>
>>7301735
>wah wah my tummy will hurt if i get red meat give me some fish please and a binky
>>
I prefer medium rare if I'm getting a good piece of steak.

But if I'm at like... Golden Corral or something like that, some kind of steak buffet? I usually go Medium or Medium well. The steak ain't so good to start out, and I really like that at medium well, the fat starts to caramelize.
>>
>>7301743

>steaks only, fuck that namby-pamby shit. I wonder what salmon tastes like. Probably like gay. Hoo-rah!
>>
>>7301757
>i'm in a steakhouse therefore i should eat a food i can eat anytime outside a steak house

Let me guess, on vacations you sit in the hotel room and jerk it to on demand.
>>
>>7301757
If you are going to a nice place that specifically specializes in steak, get a fucking steak

What you are advocating is just as silly as going to a nice seafood place and ordering a burger, its just a waste of your time and money
>>
>>7301773
>>7301788

Big difference between 'you should get what the restaurant specializes in' and 'Fish? What are you, a sissy?'
>>
>>7298727
>meme
Kill yourself. At your family's behest of course. They probably want you dead too. Faggot.
>>
>>7301788
>going to a nice seafood place and ordering a burger
Literally my mom
>>
>>7298775
30 minutes at 250 is what I do to make a medium rare steak actually. After it comes out I let it rest for 5-10 minutes, then I slap it on an insanely hot skillet for about a minute a side
>>
File: 2vZmCSj.jpg (867 KB, 1284x2553) Image search: [Google]
2vZmCSj.jpg
867 KB, 1284x2553
>>7298727
That looks like leather. Anyone who think they'll get sick eating rare beef has never had a good steak.
>>
I know it's reddit, but this guy has a decent explanation

https://np.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/41mo39/hank_hill_knows_whats_up/cz3xoe0?context=3
>>
>>7298727
>asked for my steak to be well done( don't want to get sick)

do you have a crippled immune system, or are you just confusing steak with chicken and pork?
>>
>>7301855
Anybody have any suggestions for a replacement for cognac in this recipe to deglaze the pan? It sounds good but I hate the taste of alcohol in food. I can't stand white wine sauce or merlot.
>>
>>7304502
try mountain dew
>>
>>7304502
Scrap the recipe and have your mom make you some Kraft's mac and cheese. Mott's Apple juice should compliment it.
>>
>>7304502
Is it all icky and stinky and yucky to you?
>>
>>7304537
>>7304545
>>7304555
First off, FUCK YOU GUYS.

Second. I've tried wine sauces several times and I've never found one I like. I don't know why, just don't like the taste.
>>
>>7298750
Suck an uncircumcised dick you cuck.

ITT: faggots who order medium rare then cut the fat off like a little kid cuts the crust off a PB&J

Medium well master race reporting in. The fat is the best part. Quit being a pansy with your "omg but the burnt part taste bad" pussy-mating-calls.
>>
>>7304594
Not sure why these pathetic for chefs can't even cook a medium well steak without turning it into leather. Maybe McDonnald's doesn't teach that.
>>
>>7298727
>go to Ruth's Chris steak house
>order filet mignon
>well done
>once the waiter brings it out, ask for ketchup
>tuck the napkin into my shirt collar
>half way through call the waiter over and tell him it's not cooked enough
>he sends it back to the kitchen
>comes back completely charred
Best steak I ever had.
>>
>>7304537
>>7304545
>>7304555
>>7304579

>manchild getting wrekt

LOL
>>
>>7298752
then order it like everyone else...
>>
I wish I wasn't such a meaty oaker cook. I buy quality beef that should turn out better than the restaurants but I always either undercook it or overcook it. I can never get it write.
>>
>>7298727
the meat gets dry when you cook it too much (which you force them to do by ordering it well done). nobody is saying you should order it rare but just give say medium well a try and compare it to the well done you had.

ps: i eat a lot of steak (rare /medium) and i never got sick so i guess you dont have to worry... it's not like you live in india where the flies dance on your food before you eat it
>>
>>7304756
no, no you dont.
>>
>>7304759
>I don't wear seatbelts and I haven't died yet. Don't worry!
>>
File: 1450823459440.jpg (270 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1450823459440.jpg
270 KB, 1920x1080
>>7304772
>this kind of autism
>>
>>7304788
>I don't get vaccines and I haven't died yet. Don't worry!
>>
File: 1450699187403.jpg (536 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1450699187403.jpg
536 KB, 1920x1080
>>7304794
>I go outside and haven't died yet. Don't worry!
>>
>>7304803
Got me there, you fucking madman.
>>
>>7298727
some people think they're cultured and then start looking down on other people once they start eating steak that's less than well done. the people who do this are most likely insecure and just need something to make them feel like they're better than other people. you most likely won't get sick from a steak that isn't well done, but if you prefer the texture of a well done steak that's fine.

i can eat huge bites of cheese that squeaks like some mozzarella, but for some people it makes them gag. i don't look down on these people or consider myself better than them because that would be silly.

anyway, if you want to know the truth, lesser quality cuts of meat are the ones that get cooked to medium rare because otherwise they'll dry out and become chewy. in some places people eat rare chicken or pork, but nobody complains when these meats are well done. i think it was just a push by people who sold steaks to make people think they're high class and cultured people for eating medium rare.
>>
>>7298727
People were embarrassed for you cause you're a fucking faggot.

Literally a food cuck.
>>
>>7304840
>Literally a food cuck.

>a sentence composed of four words
>you used half of the words incorrectly
that's sad
>>
>>7304579
TOLD STATUS:
[ ] NOT TOLD
[ ] TOLD
[x] FUCKING TOLD
[x] CASH4TOLD.COM
[x] KNIGHTS OF THE TOLD REPUBLIC
[x] TOLDERONE
[x] STONE TOLD STEVE AUSTIN
[x] CURE FOR THE COMMON TOLD
[x] BEN TOLDS
[x] THE 40 YEAR TOLD VIRGIN
[x] 007: TOLDENEYE
[x] TEXAS TOLD’EM
[x] AUSTIN POWERS IN TOLDMEMBER
[x] PTERODACTOLD
[x] TOLDTINO’S PIZZA ROLLS
[x] NO COUNTRY FOR TOLD MEN
[x] 24 CARAT TOLD
[x] ONLY SHOOTING STARS BREAKTHE TOLD
[x] GOING ONCE… GOING TWICE… TOLD
[x] GARY TOLDMAN
[x] TOLD SPICE
[x] TOLD STONE CREAMERY
[x] BABY IT’S TOLD OUTSIDE
[x] POKEMON TOLD AND SILVER
[x] TOLD YELLER
[x] EL DORADO: THE LOST CITY OF TOLD
[x] TOLDPLAY
[x] THE TOLD AND THE BEAUTIFUL
[x] DANNY DEVITOLD
[x] TOLDEN SUN
[x] FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLDS
[x] CAN’T TEACH A TOLD DOG NEW TRICKS
[x] I AIN’T SAYIN SHE A TOLD DIGGER
[x] TOLDING CHAIR
[x] TOLDIER OF FORTUNE
[x] THE TOLDEN COMPASS
[x] TOLDEN AXE
[x] TOLD MACDONALD HAD A FARM
[x ROCKIN TO THE TOLDIES
[x] BATTLETOLDS
[x] YE TOLDE PUB
[x] TOLDEN CAULFIELD
[x] THE TOLD MAN AND THE SEA
[x] TOLD MEDAL WINNER AT THE OLYMPICS
>>
>>7298762
Steak comes from cows, moron. They're not birds. They don't live in the air.
>>
>>7300326
only way to avoid that is sous vide
>>
>>7305106
>They don't live in the air.
some of them do
>>
File: 1359575462712.jpg (40 KB, 562x437) Image search: [Google]
1359575462712.jpg
40 KB, 562x437
>>7298799
Oh. you're -that- customer.
kindly go die in a fire.
>>
>>7298727
>>7298727
When I worked in a fancy restaurant we would give the largest steaks to whoever ordered rare and the smallest to whoever ordered well done.
>>
>>7305384
>wahh I don't wanna do my shitty job
acquire proficiency in something worthwhile or shut the fuck up and do your drudgery.
>>
File: pshh nothing personnel.gif (1 MB, 473x325) Image search: [Google]
pshh nothing personnel.gif
1 MB, 473x325
one time i went to a local steakhouse that was about the equivelent of a ruths chris, and couldnt finish my steak so i asked for the remains to be boxed up but the waiter forgot and accidently threw it away. When I asked where it was, he freaked out and begged me not to report him to the manager and brought me a new steak on the house. so that was nice. it only took like a minute because i eat my steaks with a 30 or 45 second char on each side.

anyway, if you order a steak anywhere past medium rare, you are either a woman or a pussy
>>
File: 1450163920581.jpg (106 KB, 639x960) Image search: [Google]
1450163920581.jpg
106 KB, 639x960
>>7306178
>I want things my way done by my rules
>I'm entitled to treat you however I want because I gave you a few pieces of green paper
>Don't like it? Have skills that give you more green paper so I don't have to change and can shit on someone else

You can ask to have a 100 dollar well-done steak pissed on and thrown in the trash for all I care. You are the problem. You are why no one gives a shit about anything anymore, and are okay with pushing and selling bullshit. Keep treating people like items and living in your box, please. Because then you won't have to make room for two in there and won't have to subject anyone else to your shit.
>>
>>7298799
>Part of that job involves fulfilling customer requests, however unusual.
>what kind of shitty restaurants do you go to?
>>
File: saumon-mi-cuit[1].jpg (38 KB, 304x456) Image search: [Google]
saumon-mi-cuit[1].jpg
38 KB, 304x456
>>7301502
I bet you are one of those filthy pigs that cook their salmon all the way through. Newsflash: you cook salmon the exact way you cook steak, medium rare.
>>
IMHO rare steak zealots are like bronies, in that they can't comprehend someone giving their thing a fair try and still not liking it. Anyone with different tastes is either trolling or insane in their worldview.
A: "Rare steak is okay I guess, but when I have the option, I like to cook steak a minute longer than recommended."
B: "The only people who don't like rare steak are those who never tried it!"
A: "I've tasted rare steak several times and still dislike the raw part."
B: "No you haven't. Everyone prefers rare."
A: *cooks and eats rare steak in front of you, no possible room for doubt it's bloody and gelatinous throughout*
A: "It's not that good. I would cook it a little more."
B: "No, you can't like something I don't like! That's impossible! You must have done it wrong!"
A: "What proof would convince you?"
B: *cooks even rarer steak, which A eats*
A: "Meh. I really don't like my steak done this way."
B: "Why are you lying? My way is the only correct way!"
A: "I don't know what to say. We just have different tastes."
B: "No, YOU have BAD taste! My taste is right, and you're an inferior person!"
>>
>>7301805

>getting butthurt about an insult
>about food
>on the internet
>on 4chan

You really ARE a sissy now.
>>
>>7306613
Are you seriously this triggered that customers would want something they pay for the way they like it? Unless they're trying to argue with you or spitting on your fucking face, there's no reason to be a dick with service. You're mad at that guy like he treats people as objects, like he goes "Listen here, bitch! I want my order done this way!" every time he orders something and pays. Paying for food doesn't carry any sort of entitlement, but just telling someone to do something some way apart from the usual isn't fucking abuse.
>>
>>7307696
>gelatinous
That's because you had shit meat m8. I like my steak bleu and with good meat even bleu melts in your mouth. Try a rare kobe beef steak and tell me it's gelatinous
>>
Hey, while we're on the subject of steak doneness, is eating steak perfectly medium acceptable? Or is medium rare truly the only way to go?
>>
>>7307798
Imo bleu and rare is the only way to have a steak.
>>
>>7304502
Not really. But because I'm in a good mood you could try marsala as it's so sweet it really does live up to it's name as a dessert wine
>>
>>7298765
>I cook well done steak all the time.
>delicious as a med rare steak

Not sure what prompted you to lie, but glad no one took the bait
>>
>>7307784
You don't know what you're talking about and have never had kobe beef.
>>
>>7298727

>Parents take me to a steakhouse when I'm like 7
>Waiter asks how I want my steak cooked
>I asked you can cook it in different ways?
>Yeah, you can have it rare, medium, or well done
>Have no fucking clue what any of it means
>well done sounds like it's the most delicious because it's "well done", so I went with that
>Parents start laughing at me, steak turned out to be shit and super dry

Never again.
>>
>>7307157

Medium rare steak and tuna are a miracle of this universe.
>>
>>7307818
Do tell me where I'm wrong. I enjoy watching retards trying to prove they're right.
>>
File: Zergface.jpg (54 KB, 822x870) Image search: [Google]
Zergface.jpg
54 KB, 822x870
Daily reminder that just straight medium is the master race
>>
>>7307772
>Are you seriously this triggered that customers would want something they pay for the way they like it?

Not the original commenter, but it's these customers who do this are also the one that do the following

-Orders Extra Well Done Steak, complains it isn't out in 5 minutes
-Orders Extra Well Done Steak, complains it is dry
-Orders Extra Well Done Prime Grade Prime Rib Steak, complains "it's fatty"
-Orders coke and complains it is watered down
-Always finds something wrong with the food no matter fucking what
-Complains about prices clearly listed on the menu
-Runs you back and forth for extra sauces for their steak (ketchup first, change their mind halfway through and want a1, etc...)

I worked in STEM for 10 years and saved a ton of money (made 150-200k/yr) because I wanted to open a restaurant. Started working in a high end restaurant because of a business connection to learn the ropes and noped the fuck out of perusing the idea after 9 months because customers are fucking awul
>>
>>7307819

Parents should have explained that well done means burnt, and rare means undercooked.
>>
>>7307772
The people in this thread that give a fuck how he likes his steak are pretty severely autistic, I actually thought he might have been a good guy initially.

OP is a fucking faggot because of everything he said afterwards. If you go to a Chinese restaurant and order chicken tenders and french fries, people are going to make fun of you. whatever. The wait staff will think about you a certain way, but have no reason to treat you differently. But say that what they think doesn't matter, and you can go fuck yourself. There are still people that want to perfect a craft, but they give up on it because of that exact mentality of
>it's just a job
>I don't pay you to think
>get a better job if you want your work to matter

It's nice to believe they're just pleb workers if you're a pussy. Then you never have to change. Admit anything else, and you might actually have to question whether or not you're wrong.
>>
>>7298792
love this "i just don't like it, i shouldn't have to explain my personal tastes" immediately turning to "anyone who likes something different than me is PRETENDING!!"
>>
>>7307873
I fucking hate it when I'm being nice about my order and to the wait staff and then I hear one of those shitheads complaining about something retarded. The other guy's problem was that in his mind, anyone who makes special requests is one of those people. I blame the restaurant business as a whole. Most places just see their employees as simple tools and it isn't fucking fair.
>>
>>7307814
Probably because it wasn't bait. Well done steaks are just as good as medium rare if they are cooked properly. Even Gordon Ramsey agrees that a perfectly juicy well done steak is possible if the cook isn't complete shit. Enjoy your easymode cast iron 5 minutes per side bullshit raw fucking meat while I have a tantalizingly moist fully cooked piece of meat.
>>
>>7298727

Medium rare is the safest choice. Or rare but NOT BLUE if you're up for an adventure.
>>
>>7307819

Haha, this was me except I ordered well-done because I remember another friend talking about how he always ordered his steak well-done.

It was so awful that from then on, I never order steak well-done.
>>
>>7307976
nice bait
>>
File: 1451100662450.png (297 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1451100662450.png
297 KB, 640x640
>>7301692
>where a dress

Come the fuck on, man
>>
>>7304594
tough guy alert
Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.