[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
going to an indian place for the first time today what are some
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7
File: finger hot pepper.jpg (42 KB, 700x467) Image search: [Google]
finger hot pepper.jpg
42 KB, 700x467
going to an indian place for the first time today

what are some beginner dishes? no too spicy please
>>
>>7249102
Watch out for the toilet witch
>>
butter chicken and tikka masala are probably the most common dishes and taste amazing.
>>
saag paneer or milai kofta
>>
File: 1375213974909.jpg (140 KB, 432x504) Image search: [Google]
1375213974909.jpg
140 KB, 432x504
>>7249102
>no too spicy please

>going to an indian place
>order take out and 'make it extra hot plz'
>sorry, can't do that
>look at him in disbelieve, u r indian you cant do hot??
>oh ok extra hot, 5 minutes
>realize not all indian dishes are supposed to be hot and super spicy
>>
>>7249102
Chicken Biryani, cant go wrong. Very mild
>>
don't get chicken, get lamb, chicken sucks dick.
>>
>>7249102

I would get Samosas as a starter and Butter Chicken / Tandoori Chicken as main, those are my favorite and not at all spicy
>>
Tandoori Chicken is always great. also try to get some chicken korma
>>
Try the puenloo

It won't be on the menu, but ask for it anyway
If it's a legit Indian place, they'll know
>>
whatever you get get a Keema nan on the side
>>
File: 1441154616116.jpg (7 KB, 200x192) Image search: [Google]
1441154616116.jpg
7 KB, 200x192
>>7249265
>puenloo
>>
>>7249265
le funny meme
>>
>>7249102
Butterchicken. I know it sounds gross but it´s the most glorious thing ever invented.

Just slightly spicy, a bit sweet. Soft tender chicken bits. Oh man..
>>
>>7249265
Kekk, didn't catch it the first time
>>
File: ilikeyou.png (343 KB, 360x405) Image search: [Google]
ilikeyou.png
343 KB, 360x405
>>7249265
>>
>>7249271

keema is fucking disgusting from most places
>>
Rogan Josh is usually pretty mild and always delicious.
>>
If you don't want spicy, stay away from the channa marsala.

On the other hand, the aloo gobi shouldn't be spicy.
>>
>>7249102
>going to an indian place for the first time today
>what are some beginner dishes? no too spicy please

>butter chicken
(this is a Brit-only creation, not even indian, so you may not see it on every restaurant menu, and if you do, don't get it)

Take a friend (or four), so you can get several items and share your variety of things. Get a couple choices of breads, two kinds of meat dishes that have DIFFERENT spice profiles, like one saucy and one grilled/roasted, one vegetarian dish, and one raita or other condiment. This is why lunch buffets are a good way to introduce yourself to Indian.

Some kind of crispy pakora, samosa or other fritter can be a nice appetizer in a group too.
I always get:
Onion kulcha bread OR poori or garlic naan (if you're lucky they're bring out some little aachar condiments like that yummy one with cilantro or tamarind)
Meat: tandoori chicken tikka masala, lamb rogan josh or korma
Veggie side: chana masala or palak paneer or daal (or mushroom) maknhi
Raita
I like basic basmati that is steamy and fluffy, but get a spiced rice if you want your sauciness with that rather than bread, or a biranyi instead of one of your meats. Food doesn't need to be ordered "hot" but the raita cools the tongue. Ask about dessert too, might have some lychee sorbet or pistachio ice cream just for those who request it and appreciate it.
>>
>>7249374

chicken tikka masala is more a brit invention than butter chicken. they're extremely similar in any case.

virtually all the food you see in restaurants is anglicised to some extent, the whole idea of indian restaurants is anglicised.
>>
>>7249374
>butter chicken
>this is a Brit-only creation, not even indian,
What's it like being wrong all the time?
>>
File: reply_to_a_mong.jpg (91 KB, 1066x376) Image search: [Google]
reply_to_a_mong.jpg
91 KB, 1066x376
>>7249374
>>
>>7249433
#REKT
>>
>>7249265
Your meems aren't appreciated here, this board is for discussing food.
>>
>>7249374
Maybe you should try pooing in a hotel for a change. Butter chicken is an indian dish created by hotel restaurant chefs.
>>
>>7249102
Paneer Makhani
Butter Chicken
Tandoori Chicken
Samosas
Kadhi Pakodi

Just avoid curries.
>>
>>7249102
korma
butter chicken
chicken tikka masala
dansak
pasanda

or you could go full retard and get a vindaloo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va6nPu-1auE

(the british way)
>>
>>7249979
>he thinks shit infested filthy india is just a meme

there are literal shitstorms happening in india
fucking
DESIGNATED
SHITTING
BEACHES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixJgY2VSct0
>>
idli,dosa,sambar
>>
>>7249384
CTM and Butter Chicken are not similar at all.
>>
File: Chicken_Tikka-Masala.jpg (3 MB, 3008x2000) Image search: [Google]
Chicken_Tikka-Masala.jpg
3 MB, 3008x2000
>>7252519

so you're saying this
>>
File: Murgh_Makhani.jpg (3 MB, 1984x2290) Image search: [Google]
Murgh_Makhani.jpg
3 MB, 1984x2290
>>7252554

is clearly distinguishable from this?
>>
>>7252554
>>7252568
I don't care what pictures you post mate, they are very different dishes, if this is what you get get in your local Indian and they taste the same, then I suggest you try another Restaurant/Take-away!
>>
>>7252590

no they aren't, they are fundamentally very similar dishes, consisting of chicken in a rich gravy usually made with tomatoes, cream and butter.
>>
>>7252590
We have a very strong curry history in Britain . . .please tell me you are not British?
>>
>>7252607
was meant for >>7252595
>>
>>7252626
>>7252607

yes i'm british.
>>
>>7252637
>yes i'm british.

I am disappoint mate.
A CTM is usually much sweeter than Butter chicken usually due to the addition of condensed milk (oh yes) and you have to remember that CTM should be Tandoor cooked, which again, imparts a different flavour.

Butter chicken tends to rely on a lot more Butter, cream and almonds and tends to taste less spicy than a CTM.
>>
>>7252665

all those things are said fairly interchangeably about both butter chicken and chicken tikka masala. there is a reason they rarely crop up on the same menus together. they are fundamentally very similar and the differences between them are about as numerous as the differences within them.
>>
>>7252671
I don't know where you live mate but they are very different where I an from, a blind taste can easily tell them apart.

Now I do realise that these dishes are Anglicized to some extent in many restaurants but I would go ape-shit if it happened in mine!

I thought you may have been American, as they have completely different taste and even their Chop Suey is nothing like we would have in Blighty.
>>
Butter chicken and chicken korma are two indian dishes which aren't every spicy.
>>
>>7251362
That doesn't have much to do with /ck/ though does it? Unless your advice is "Don't got a designated shitting beach for a barbecue", but we can probably figure that one out for ourselves.
>>
>>7252687

>Now I do realise that these dishes are Anglicized to some extent in many restaurants but I would go ape-shit if it happened in mine!

you're kidding me right?

even the butter chicken you get in india has been anglicised, that's my point. it was invented in the 50s. around the same time that ctm was invented.
>>
>>7252717
I'm not sure what you are trying to prove here?

The simple fact is, Butter chicken SHOULD NOT taste anything like CTM . .. if it does, then you eat at a cheapskate restaurant!
>>
>>7249102
Butter chicken
Saag paneer (also called Palak Paneer) (spinach with paneer cheese)
Baigan Bhartha (eggplant curry)
Vegetable (or chicken) Korma (one of my favorites, even though I love spicy food. Kormas are quite mild, but taste heavenly.
Malai Kofta (dumplings made from paneer and vegetables in a creamy sauce)
>>
>>7252554
>>7252568
Yeah, they are different, IF you know what they're supposed to taste like. Tikka Masala is spicier, and less creamy than butter chicken, different spice ratios, different tadka (tempering your spices by frying in oil).
Anyway, you're wrong.
>>
goat curries are GOAT
>>
>>7253057
You certainly know your curry.
>>
Define too spicy.

Also a lot of the very hot peppers have aromas/flavours the non-hot variants don't have.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.