[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cooking Salmon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: salmon.jpg (116 KB, 878x577) Image search: [Google]
salmon.jpg
116 KB, 878x577
Hey /ck/, what are your favorite ways of cooking salmon? I have some salmon and no idea what a good way of cooking it would be.
>>
>>7222214
pan sear it with lime and orange marmalade
>>
>>7222214

This one

http://www.prouditaliancook.com/2014/03/salmon-roasted-tomatoes-shallots.html

Though I preffer adding roasted potato instead of tomatoes.
>>
>>7222214
particularly when I bake it, I like fresh rosemary and lemon pepper on it
.>>7222228
and then there's this
>>
poach itttttttttttt

also au papillote is fkcn nice and easy clean
>>
Throw some tzatziki on that skank
>>
>>7222214
When I cook salmon, I'm usually cooking a whole side of salmon at a time. So, my favorite way (and it turns out so nicely) is to put it in a disposable aluminum pan that's been oiled (skin side down) and rub it down with olive oil, then with salt, pepper, fresh minced garlic, lemon zest, and chopped rosemary. Then I put it on the hot grill outside for about 8-10 minutes. Tender and flavorful and awesome.
I also like to steam salmon resting on a bed of lemon and onion slices and lay fresh dill sprigs over the top (after seasoning it with salt, pepper, and sumac). That's a nice option if you're wanted to shave off calories, but it also keeps the fish very moist.
>>
I bake it with salt, pepper, garlic, and lemon. 375 for like 15-20 min.

sometimes wrap it in foil so it sorta steams it.
>>
oh, and a shit ton of olive oil
>>
>>7222214
Usually on my charcoal kettle.
I use some generic fish seasoning and put it on the grill with some wood chips for about 20 minutes.

It's nice with tagliatelle and lemmon-butter sauce.
>>
there is nothing

NOTHING

better than fried or pan roasted salmon

confit is good too tho
>>
>>7222737
this

poach it in oil, opie.
>>
a little lemon juice, salt and pepper then grilled on the bbq at medium heat. pan seared is amazing as well, but i like the bbq taste.
>>
>>7222214
baked wrapped in foil with dill, salt, pepper, and butter
>>
>>7222214
That salmon looks horribly burned on the top. If I cook it with skin, I usually end up making the skin crispy by frying it for 6-7 and then just flip it and continue to fry it for 1-2 minutes. Usually in a pan with butter. Might take less/more time until it's done completely, I don't really use a thermometer to check the temperature. So the times depend on the heat you use. Oil/wok/some wonky ass pot if I can't be arsed to clean my pan before that (happens rarely, but it does).
>>
>>7222214
Cook on fresh cedar shakes. Do this over open flame. If that's not viable for you use a BBQ, and if that doesn't work use an oven. Squeeze lemon and sprinkle a touch of dill or rosemary. This is all you need to do.
>>
Salmon
Chicago steak seasoning
diced fresh garlic
diced fresh green onions
Diced mushrooms (any, but I prefer chicken of the woods)
olive oil.
throw everything in the skillet.
cook until one side is nice and done, flip, cook until it is nearly cooked through
take spatula and start shredding salmon into small pieces. soak in lots of lemon juice.
scoop out and pile on top of country style hashbrowns that has been seasoned with cloves, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper and hot sauce.

I eat this combo about 2 times a week. I love it.
>>
Smoked on a cedar plank, with some oil and lemon pepper.
>>
with pesto and sweet potatoes

om nom nom
>>
>>7222228
In my opinion this is the best way I have made salmon filets.

Prep:
Lightly coat both sides of FRESH salmon filet in salt and pepper(never done this frozen.)

Put a decent and clean pan(nice non stick or a well seasoned cast iron, those are what I use) on the range with medium high heat(basically halfway between medium and high when you turn the range dial)

Put some olive oil in the pan. Wait while the olive oil gets hot(you can see it starts to have a shimmery appearance when it's hot..1-2 minutes maximum.)

Gently lay the filet(or whatever you have, even with skin) down into the pan.

With skin, I place it skin down first. Some filet the skin off then cook it separate or other shit. This post is just for a salmon filet. If you have skin on your salmon, then look it up.

Don't fuck with the salmon while it's cooking. Let it cook. Like 3-4 minutes on that side then flip. Don't get fancy with flipping. Take the spatula and gently nudge it over on the longways side. You don't splash oil everywhere this way.

3-4 minutes on the other side. If you don't know if it's done, look at the sides, see if they are cooked through(i.e. they are not pink) If you don't trust yourself, grab a fork and the filet should pull into "flakes" of salmon. You know it's done when it flakes. You won't ruin the piece of salmon but everyone does this their first time then they know from now on.

What you end up with is a fantastic crispy exterior but it is not overcooked on the inside. Still moist, flakes away and it cooks quickly. Great comparison of textures
>>
>>7225017

>That salmon looks horribly burned on the top

not it doesn't

it doesn't look remotely burned at all
>>
>>7222214
Teriyaki salmon. Something like this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/teriyakisalmon_66107
>>
File: IMAG1353.jpg (1 MB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1353.jpg
1 MB, 2688x1520
>preheat pan and oil (med/high)
>place salmon in pan skin side down
>watch flesh directly above skin turn a dark grey (approx. 2 mins)
>flip carefully
>lower heat to med
>watch sides of fillet
>when there's about a centimeter of pink (cooked) flesh then use tongs to sear both sides to seal in moisture
>place fillet on warm plate and cover
>let it rest for a couple of minutes (perfect time to mash your potatoes!)
>dinner is served
Probably not the best way but that's my favourite way to cook salmon.
>>
>>7222214
put 1-2 inches oil in a pan and cook each side aroun 10 mins just care not to leave it raw in middle or you'll get salmonella
>>
>>7222214
Cure and smoke it right in your kitchen.

Mix a ton of salt with herbs and sugar. Dill, cilantro, tarragon; whatever you've got. Lay the salmon on the salt skin side down, then pad the rest over the fish thoroughly. Two to three hours later, wash off the fish. It's going to be mad salty, so cure it again with just a little salt an a ton of molasses heavy brown sugar. This time lay the fish flesh side down and leave it overnight.

Wash it all off. Get some wood chips (cherry is good), make a tin foil pocket and lay the chips inside. Light them inside a pot, get your fish sitting on something inside and put the cover on. Plug up any vents in the lid and smoke for two minutes.

Pretty dang good if you don't have any sophisticated smoking tools.
>>
>>7222758
May I recommend dropping the temp to 350 and taking the fish in and out every two minutes until warmed through?
20 minutes for salmon sounds like you're overcooking it.
>>
>>7226673
Nope, not a great way to do it.
Curing salmon takes somewhere between 8-10 hours, do it with rock salt and sugar + herb of choice. In most cases is better to choose 1 herb and not a mix of fe. 3. After the skin starts to be hard but the fish is still soft inside, carefully take away all the remaining salt (do not fucking wash the fish autist!), add more herb(s) and let it rest for 4 hours.

Otherwise my preferred way is to pan sear a filet, and when it's halfway+ done, put some alcohol (sake, mirin, white wine etc), cover the pan and steam until mi-cuit (what is this in english, medium?).
>>
steamed salmon and gorgonzola sauce made from scratch. alternative: onions, pepperoni, butter, sage and salt. add canned chopped tomatoes and some vegetable stock and pepper. cook. add steamed salmon and serve on spaghetti No7 with freshly grated parmesan.
>>
>>7227489
a third alternative:

melt butter
add salt to butter
lay out puff pastry
throw some fresh herbs (parsley, a little dill and basil) on the pastry
dizzle a little butter-salt over it
put salmon filet on the herb bed
drizzle more butter-salt
add more herbs
pour the rest of the butter-salt mix over it
egg-yolk round the pastry
putt second layer of puff-pastry over it
smear egg-yolk over the top
use a fork to make some holes on top
put in pre-heated oven, approx 180C convection
as soon as it is nice and brown remove from oven
serve with rice and premium salad (french sauce, preferably home made)
enjoy
>>
Lots of lemon and butter and garlic. Yummy
>>
>>7222214
If I'm in a rush: Oven to 220c, salt + pepper + spread a bit of olive oil on both sides, put in grilling rack & bake for 7-9 minutes depending on thickness.

If I'm not in a rush: As above minus salt, but I first brine the salmon for 3-6 hours.
>>
Braised in sparkling wine. Absolutely delicious.
>>
File: 1287125825267.jpg (69 KB, 480x724) Image search: [Google]
1287125825267.jpg
69 KB, 480x724
>>7222214
If you're into something more traditional
>salt
>peper
>garlic
fry it on butter with a hint of olive oil

eat with salad and garlick baguette
>salad of your choice
>tomatos
>greek feta cheese
>black olives
>olive oil
>wine vinegar

enjoy
>>
File: miso-salmon.jpg (30 KB, 550x368) Image search: [Google]
miso-salmon.jpg
30 KB, 550x368
Make a mixture of Lemonjuice, Miso, Ginger, lots of Sugar and Dashi. Cube salmon, marinate and pan-fry on low heat, alternatively, grill.
>>
>>7226283
>1-2 inches oil
>>
>>7226283
do you seriously cook your salmon for 20 minutes in oil

poach in white wine ftw
>>
>>7227865
>poaching
why do people pretend to like this? you lose all your flavours in liquid and most importanly no browning= no flavour
even an overcooked fried salmon would taste better
>>
File: pitsua.gif (991 KB, 499x300) Image search: [Google]
pitsua.gif
991 KB, 499x300
>>7227824
>lots of dashi
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.